Nikon D750 & D780

Had a terrible time shooting yesterday. Was taking some pics of the wife doing her first show jumping on our new boy.

The indoor arena was badly lit, typical kind of high up yellow barn lights. Lots of sky lights but it was such a dull day hardly any extra light was coming in.

He is also a very dark brown, almost black horse which didn’t help. Even the 70-200 2.8 was really struggling. At times it just wouldn’t find focus.

Had I known I was allowed in the arena I could have taken the 50mm.

Luckily I got a couple of shots but nothing special. I don’t know if there was anything else I could have done!!

I’ve shot loads of indoor show jumping. I know exactly what you mean. I shot at 2.8 and 1/250th. Auto ISO. Managed to get some good ones (I used to shoot events, printing on the day. Made quite a bit of money)

Managed to set PS up on the daughters laptop to get a picture for a xmas card done. Also used my new xmas present of a new soft box too for this.

38107803994_53f6d21ee5_b.jpg

Fab matey :cool:

Oh go on then, I`ll be 1st :D

Bokeh.jpg

We’re babysitting our two youngest grandchildren today. I’m going to try and get a cheesy photo of them with strings of lit mini lights wrapped around them. :LOL: Success may be illusory! :LOL:

Well, it worked, kind of. Next try (maybe on the weekend) is with them looking a little more festive. And maybe the tree will be decorated by then. ;) I’ll try to post one of them after they’ve gone home.

Just back from my Jollies and popped into B&H whilst I was there. That store is crazy big for a camera store. Had a play with the D850, I still definitely want one just a matter of when the price comes down enough.

Build quality was noticeably better than the D750 so I assume it’s also better than the D810 as I didn’t notice a great deal of difference between that and the D750 tbh. Viewfinder’s really nice. I know Nikon say it’s their largest to date but it didn’t seem any bigger than the D5’s that I also got to play with, but it’s hard to tell when you’re not directly going from one to the other. Shutter was nicer than the D750, not as harsh. AF spread was good, and focus was really snappy as you’d expect with the 24-70mm. Didn’t think to take a spare memory card though :facepalm:

Also had a play with the EM1-II, C-AF seemed much better than my Mark I EM1, locked in quicker and tracked better. However I was only testing on customers walking around the shop so no idea what it would be like in the real world. Looks promising though.

Last edited:
Is the D750 + 24-120mm a good buy at £1500 from Panamoz? Or would you go 2nd hand?

Struggling to bring myself to justify the size of it though (n)

Well you know the pros and cons of bigger and smaller cameras by now.

Is the D750 + 24-120mm a good buy at £1500 from Panamoz? Or would you go 2nd hand?

Tom please STOP :D

You need to evaluate what you want, and learn how to use the chosen system, at the moment, you have the Fuji X-T2, You have a Sony A7II on order, you've enquired about a Canon 6D in a for sale thread, and here you are asking if the D750 could be a good deal. Please stop looking for camera hardware........

And I would recommend that you don't buy any more for the foreseeable future. Work out if the Fuji or Sony is for you and then use that camera for a decent period of time, then you will in a position to evaluate what meet your needs.

All cameras have compromises, and all are capable of taking decent pictures, stop shopping, and take some pictures!!!!

You need to consider going forward that the Sony cameras are physically growing. Your upgrade camera path is growing (in size and price) and that the D750 is a way better performer than the A7ii.

This is the A7riii and some popular lenses.

http://camerasize.com/compact/#724.580,567.353,ha,t

http://camerasize.com/compact/#724.514,567.701,ha,t

http://camerasize.com/compact/#724.639,567.454,ha,t

http://camerasize.com/compact/#724.615,567.698,ha,t

Last edited:
Tom please STOP :D

You need to evaluate what you want, and learn how to use the chosen system, at the moment, you have the Fuji X-T2, You have a Sony A7II on order, you've enquired about a Canon 6D in a for sale thread, and here you are asking if the D750 could be a good deal. Please stop looking for camera hardware........

And I would recommend that you don't buy any more for the foreseeable future. Work out if the Fuji or Sony is for you and then use that camera for a decent period of time, then you will in a position to evaluate what meet your needs.

All cameras have compromises, and all are capable of taking decent pictures, stop shopping, and take some pictures!!!!

I was trying to skip under your radar with this one :LOL::LOL:

You'll be happy to know those are the only cameras I am considering - to be honest, the D750 is perfect for me in all but size so one thing I might consider is seeing how I get on with the Fuji for a while, then if its not a goer - going to the D750 and just cancelling my order on the A7II.

I was trying to skip under your radar with this one :LOL::LOL:

You'll be happy to know those are the only cameras I am considering - to be honest, the D750 is perfect for me in all but size so one thing I might consider is seeing how I get on with the Fuji for a while, then if its not a goer - going to the D750 and just cancelling my order on the A7II.

Tom, this is for you https://photographylife.com/the-mirrorless-hype

Scratch the itch and buy the D750, everything else will just niggle away at you and say, I wish I'd bought the D750

D750 and 24-120mm f4 is a good combo, and that looks a decent price for grey. I'd always buy new grey (from Panamoz or HDEW) rather than used assuming similar price.

Also had a play with the EM1-II, C-AF seemed much better than my Mark I EM1, locked in quicker and tracked better. However I was only testing on customers walking around the shop so no idea what it would be like in the real world. Looks promising though.

1.2 is soooo much better but it should be. Not good enough to get me to part with my pennies though

What are you expecting it to do that the D750 doesn't do?

Touchscreen, 4k, updated AF system, slighty more MP, auto lens calibrate, on sensor pdaf would also be nice, better reliability, 1/8000 would also be great.... pretty much what everyone else has done. The d750 is still capable in terms of IQ at it's pricepoint but its now showing its age imo and is due an update.

Last edited:
Touchscreen, 4k, updated AF system, slighty more MP, auto lens calibrate, on sensor pdaf would also be nice, better reliability.... pretty much what everyone else has done. The d750 is still capable in terms of IQ at it's pricepoint but its now showing its age imo and is due an update.
Pretty much the d850 then...

Pretty much the d850 then...

Well not really, the d7xx update will be smaller, lighter and have a couple cost cuts, like the d750 vs d810 but crucially the d750 sensor and af at the time wasn't a huge compromise and in some ways the better alternative for certain shooters.

Got a bit frustrated yesterday taking picture in low light. I thought i will switch the focus assist light to help has the focus was struggling...

Only today i find out that since last time i used the focus assist light i have moved to back button focus (which was a while ago to be honest!). But apparently the assist focus button only work in AFS and AFA but not in AFC!

Really thought the camera was broken for a bit...

Touchscreen, 4k, updated AF system, slighty more MP, auto lens calibrate, on sensor pdaf would also be nice, better reliability, 1/8000 would also be great.... pretty much what everyone else has done. The d750 is still capable in terms of IQ at it's pricepoint but its now showing its age imo and is due an update.
Doubt you’ll get all that tbh, too close to the D850 and will hike the price up considerably. Touchscreen, 4K video, New AF system, larger buffer and auto lens calibration would be my guess. I hope they don’t go down the one card slot route :eek:

Got a bit frustrated yesterday taking picture in low light. I thought i will switch the focus assist light to help has the focus was struggling...

Only today i find out that since last time i used the focus assist light i have moved to back button focus (which was a while ago to be honest!). But apparently the assist focus button only work in AFS and AFA but not in AFC!

Really thought the camera was broken for a bit...
Send it to Nikon they can break it for you

Back