Nikon D750 & D780

So what prime focal length would you be looking at as a walk around lens for just general purpose stuff? Going for walks in the country side, walking round London etc.

I guess it will just depend on the overall look I am after or how close I want to get to things?!

I don't want to end up in peoples faces lol!
Purely preference tbh there's no right or wrong. 50mm is popular due to it being closest to what the eyes see in terms of perspective (obviously we have a wider FOV due to having two eyes ;)) but a lot of people like 35mm, and even 28mm. 50mm is my preferred focal length for walkabout as I like to distance myself that little bit, but for landscapes it can be a bit restrictive. Mind you, and fixed focal length can be restrictive in the wrong/right scenario.

Do you have a short zoom lens? If so take that out first and experiment to see what you like.

Purely preference tbh there's no right or wrong. 50mm is popular due to it being closest to what the eyes see in terms of perspective (obviously we have a wider FOV due to having two eyes ;)) but a lot of people like 35mm, and even 28mm. 50mm is my preferred focal length for walkabout as I like to distance myself that little bit, but for landscapes it can be a bit restrictive. Mind you, and fixed focal length can be restrictive in the wrong/right scenario.

Do you have a short zoom lens? If so take that out first and experiment to see what you like.

I have nothing but a D750 & 70-200 2.8 at the moment!

Stop selling everything then lol.

I'd normally say 50mm but after having another play with the 35mm again it's a lot more versatile I think

It was when I ventured briefly to the dark side lol

So what prime focal length would you be looking at as a walk around lens for just general purpose stuff? Going for walks in the country side, walking round London etc.

I guess it will just depend on the overall look I am after or how close I want to get to things?!

28mm all the way for me.

50mm is like using a telephoto and 35mm is... Well, just meh.

However, I have become accustomed to 28mm as a focal length because I use it (or equivalent in other formats) a lot. That's really the key to picking a single focal length. Using it enough to instinctively see pictures in its framing.

When you do stick a 28mm in someone's face they tend to think you are photographing something beyond them, because you're too close to get a picture of them! :D

Another vote for 35 or 50, I love both but the 35mm edges it for me at the moment. Next week that may be different, and different again the week after that...

35mm for me too. Like that 70-200E, you just need to persevere with it ;)

For quite some years now, I take just a body and 35 on holiday with me. Can snap the family moments along with any landscape. A 50 I could make do with and if needs be, stitch a few shots together for a wider perspective (I've done that quite a bit)

I will admit that this last 6 months I've used the 35 very little. Have been really getting to grips with the 58 and longer FL's. But if it's one lens...

400mm

28mm all the way for me.

50mm is like using a telephoto and 35mm is... Well, just meh.

However, I have become accustomed to 28mm as a focal length because I use it (or equivalent in other formats) a lot. That's really the key to picking a single focal length. Using it enough to instinctively see pictures in its framing.

When you do stick a 28mm in someone's face they tend to think you are photographing something beyond them, because you're too close to get a picture of them! :D
unless its a 28mm equiv Ipad pro 12.9 :ROFLMAO:

So we a spoilt for 35mm choices...
f2 D
1.8g
1.4g
Tamron VC 1.8
Sigma 1.4

1.8g, tamron and Sigma can all be had for around the same price.

Who uses what? Don’t think I have seen anyone using the Tamron!

f2 D
1.8g
1.4g
Tamron VC 1.8
Sigma 1.4

1.8g for me. Not used it, but weight, size, price and quality considered, unless I needed 1.4 that’s what I’d get.

I would go for 35mm! A great focal lens on full frame camera!

50mm is popular due to it being closest to what the eyes see in terms of perspective (obviously we have a wider FOV due to having two eyes ;))

I always read that argument without really understanding it. The other day I had the 85mm on and i was surpise how wihen i looked in the viewfinder the perpective was exactly the same to what i see with my eyes other that my FOV being cropped (I.e what i see in there is not bigger or smaller that what i see without the viewfinder). So i was wonderring if the "50mm is what you see with the eye" a bit of a myth and if the 85mm is maybe even closer to that? Or if this is because there is also the viewfinder magnification which came into consideration.

I tested it with my 24-120mm and where it's seem to be the same in the viewfinder and without the camera is even a bit past 85mm nearer 90mm!

sigma 1.4 is pretty weighty to be honest. I love it, but you'd need a sling slag of some sort to have a comfortable day out with it.

Always use my sling when out and about - takes the weight off when using the 70-200!

f2 D
1.8g
1.4g
Tamron VC 1.8
Sigma 1.4

I own the 35mm f/2 D. It's really not as bad as the internet paints it. Plus it's really small and light making it ideal for a walkabout lens.

However, it's not 28mm, so if anyone's interested I am willing to stick it in the classifieds. Along with the other useless focal length lens I have, a matching 85mm f/1.8 D. :D

Talking of straps, which is everyone using? I've just used the standard ones for years but was thinking of something a little better when carrying 2 cameras if possible. I never feel that confident that I can safely carry two and one might slip off my shoulder. Also, while shouldering one camera on my left side I always have a bruise on my hip bone where the camera sits all day :LOL: Do all the dual straps attach to the tripod mounts? and are they really secure? I remember reading years ago about some horror stories of cameras dropping off them this way :thinking:

Also, I have the Sigma 1.4 35mm, its a beauty but as said a little weighty. I found the balance on the D750 nice though but then I also enjoy the 24-70 on there too! It can be had second hand for a little more money than a new 1.8G though which makes it a tough call if you don't mind buying second hand!

Last edited:
Talking of straps, which is everyone using? I've just used the standard ones for years but was thinking of something a little better when carrying 2 cameras if possible. I never feel that confident that I can safely carry two and one might slip off my shoulder. Also, while shouldering one camera on my left side I always have a bruise on my hip bone where the camera sits all day :LOL: Do all the dual straps attach to the tripod mounts? and are they really secure? I remember reading years ago about some horror stories of cameras dropping off them this way :thinking:

Also, I have the Sigma 1.4 35mm, its a beauty but as said a little weighty. I found the balance on the D750 nice though but then I also enjoy the 24-70 on there too! It can be had second hand for a little more money than a new 1.8G though which makes it a tough call if you don't mind buying second hand!

Im using a Black Rapid Cross Shot - no worries carrying the 70-200 with it. Although I attach it to the lens foot and not the camera. Peak Designs seems the most popular on here!

As for the 35mm, I guess any of them will feel light compared to the 70-200!

I own the 35mm f/2 D. It's really not as bad as the internet paints it. Plus it's really small and light making it ideal for a walkabout lens.

However, it's not 28mm, so if anyone's interested I am willing to stick it in the classifieds. Along with the other useless focal length lens I have, a matching 85mm f/1.8 D. :D

Definatly is quite a tiny little lens! How much would it be up for?

MPB have two excellent for £214. Their carriage is around£8 IIRC. Mine's in good nick and would be £200 inc carriage.

I would go for 35mm! A great focal lens on full frame camera!

I always read that argument without really understanding it. The other day I had the 85mm on and i was surpise how wihen i looked in the viewfinder the perpective was exactly the same to what i see with my eyes other that my FOV being cropped (I.e what i see in there is not bigger or smaller that what i see without the viewfinder). So i was wonderring if the "50mm is what you see with the eye" a bit of a myth and if the 85mm is maybe even closer to that? Or if this is because there is also the viewfinder magnification which came into consideration.

I tested it with my 24-120mm and where it's seem to be the same in the viewfinder and without the camera is even a bit past 85mm nearer 90mm!
I tried it out and I'm pretty sure I came to the conclusion that just over 50mm was close to how I see things, maybe it's different for some folk?

You can't ask questions like that other wise the mods will darken our doors and they will realise that we talk about everything apart from the d750. :D:D:D

I have just upgraded my camera body to the D750 and I'm wondering which lens (either zoom or prime) you would recommend for landscape? I am pretty new to landscape so something in the mid price bracket would be best.

John

I have just upgraded my camera body to the D750 and I'm wondering which lens (either zoom or prime) you would recommend for landscape? I am pretty new to landscape so something in the mid price bracket would be best.

John
18-35mm G is my most used landscape lens. Lightweight and very sharp.

John
Welcome and you'll enjoy the d750.
My goto lens is the Irix 15mm F2.4, little distortion, can take rear and front filters.
Price is reasonable too. Find my photos on this thread and click thru to Flickr and search for land/seascape shots.

John
16-35 f4 for me.

Back