Nikon D750 & D780

Every time I go shooting with this camera, I love it even more. It's simply the best all-round DSLR that Nikon have ever made.

Laura_and_Brian_facebook_001.jpg

Using my D7000 when out with the family on Sunday, while I was always happy with it as a camera. Now that I've had the D750 it just feels really weird in my hand. I think it's the grip not being as deep as on the D750

Shot my first wedding at the weekend with the d750 along side one of my trusty old d700s. The d750 performed flawlessly, what a great little camera. I think the things that impress me most, are the AF speed, iso performance and obviously the dynamic range. The only negative I have is the stupid eyecup cover which I managed to lose within half hour. Will certainly be buying another and using my two d700s as back ups.

Get yourselves a hoodman eyecup I've put them on all mine over the years and never looked back (d7000,d7100,d800e)

Get yourselves a hoodman eyecup I've put them on all mine over the years and never looked back (d7000,d7100,d800e)
They wouldn't work either, hanging the cameras off dual sling straps, the eyecup would be knocked off in no time.

So wish the d750 had the round flush like one on the d700/d800/d4 etc.

Saying that it's not uncomfortable to use without the cup, so not to bothered in replacing it.

They are a nightmare to remove once fitted normally click on so much stronger than normal one

Weirdly, I shot with a D610 for 6months and the eyecup cover didn't come off once. Definitely a lot looser on the D750. As said above, it's not uncomfortable without, so I can't be arsed replacing mine.

I use this combo and it works great. I presume the 750 uses the same eyepiece as the D600?

http://d600.org/nikon-d600-accessories/round-eyecup-for-nikon-d600/
That looks good, but expensive for something I'll probably lose within five minutes, think I'll stick with not having one at all.

One thing I have noticed about the d750 is it eats batteries. The battery in the d700 would pretty much get me through a whole wedding. The d750 battery needed replacing half way through, and I don't use the camera any differently...strange

That looks good, but expensive for something I'll probably lose within five minutes, think I'll stick with not having one at all.

One thing I have noticed about the d750 is it eats batteries. The battery in the d700 would pretty much get me through a whole wedding. The d750 battery needed replacing half way through, and I don't use the camera any differently...strange

I've noticed that, I just put it down to the extra MP = more powerful sensor = more power drain. I have 4 batteries, so not an issue, but noticeably less shots per charge than my D7000 which used the exact same batteries.

Surprisingly I haven't knocked this eye piece off at all yet. Yes it does work out expensive but it is very comfortable especially if like me you wear glasses. Battery wise I assume they are the enl 15? Not a touch on the d700 batteries I have read.

Any recommendations on manufacturer or speed for SD Cards?

I've been using the 95 mb/s sandisk extreme cards with no issue. My Class 10 SevenDayShop cards just get rejected though, not fast enough I imagine.

Received a Sigma 35mm f1.4 from Ffordes today, as usual its in good order and it feels so much more balanced that it ever did on a D600, been trying to organise my lens lineup a bit, didn't like the 28mm focal length (Nikon 28mm f1.8 in the classifieds!) - and now just need to sort out my wide end, still can't pick between the 18-35 and 20mm.

Line-up will probably end up as 18-35/20 - 35mm f1.4 - 70-200 f4 VR

Also will keep my 24mm f2.8D, its not a great lens but it is bloody tiny.

Need to decide what to do with my Tamron 24-70 f2.8, Nikon 50 f1.8G lenses - head says that I shouldn't have both the 35 f1.4 and the zoom lens and as much as its not a huge value sitting around I might chop in the 50mm against an 85mm.

Really like the 70-200 f4 great lens and great IQ but its a lot of cash sitting there not being used an awful lot!

Last edited:
Received a Sigma 35mm f1.4 from Ffordes today, as usual its in good order and it feels so much more balanced that it ever did on a D600, been trying to organise my lens lineup a bit, didn't like the 28mm focal length (Nikon 28mm f1.8 in the classifieds!) - and now just need to sort out my wide end, still can't pick between the 18-35 and 20mm.

Line-up will probably end up as 18-35/20 - 35mm f1.4 - 70-200 f4 VR

Also will keep my 24mm f2.8D, its not a great lens but it is bloody tiny.

Need to decide what to do with my Tamron 24-70 f2.8, Nikon 50 f1.8G lenses - head says that I shouldn't have both the 35 f1.4 and the zoom lens and as much as its not a huge value sitting around I might chop in the 50mm against an 85mm.

Really like the 70-200 f4 great lens and great IQ but its a lot of cash sitting there not being used an awful lot!

I'm moving more and more to primes. I love my Nikon 35mm F1.8 ED. As earlier, I'm going to get the newer iteration of the 85mm as my F1.8D just isn't quick enough. And I want something a little wider. Considering the Sigma 24mm ART.

And now I want the bloody 58mm after looking at all of the above images as well.

I'm moving more and more to primes. I love my Nikon 35mm F1.8 ED. As earlier, I'm going to get the newer iteration of the 85mm as my F1.8D just isn't quick enough. And I want something a little wider. Considering the Sigma 24mm ART.

And now I want the bloody 58mm after looking at all of the above images as well.

I shot with nothing but primes when I bought my D600 (Sigma 35 mainly) but I found I wanted wider without changing lenses, the Tamron 24-70 is a very versatile bit of glass but I do sometimes miss the look of a prime and maybe even the getting used to one focal length and working with it.

I liked the Nikon 35mm f1.8 ED lens too and for travel it was great however I couldn't pass up the deal I found on the Sigma one, the Sigma 24mm f1.4 if its anything like the 35mm will be a stunning lens but I think if I buy a wide prime its more likely to be the 20mm (unless I sell the 24-70 in which case a 24mm prime might be wide enough).

I'm feeling in a bit of a transitional phase at the moment, doing a lot of landscape shooting and getting used to my new D750 but also looking to do more people stuff (shooting a wedding celebration party this weekend) so I'm trying to weight up the convenience of the zooms v the ultimate IQ of the primes - truth be told I'd probably have a two body setup and two primes 24/35 at the wider end and 58/85 at the longer but I can't quite justify that yet!

I shot with nothing but primes when I bought my D600 (Sigma 35 mainly) but I found I wanted wider without changing lenses, the Tamron 24-70 is a very versatile bit of glass but I do sometimes miss the look of a prime and maybe even the getting used to one focal length and working with it.

I liked the Nikon 35mm f1.8 ED lens too and for travel it was great however I couldn't pass up the deal I found on the Sigma one, the Sigma 24mm f1.4 if its anything like the 35mm will be a stunning lens but I think if I buy a wide prime its more likely to be the 20mm (unless I sell the 24-70 in which case a 24mm prime might be wide enough).

I'm feeling in a bit of a transitional phase at the moment, doing a lot of landscape shooting and getting used to my new D750 but also looking to do more people stuff (shooting a wedding celebration party this weekend) so I'm trying to weight up the convenience of the zooms v the ultimate IQ of the primes - truth be told I'd probably have a two body setup and two primes 24/35 at the wider end and 58/85 at the longer but I can't quite justify that yet!

I'm mainly shooting people, well, weddings. And all of my favourite shots from them are from the primes, in fact in general, the shots I'm happiest with in general are all from the primes. I have the Sigma 70-200 F2.8 which will still be invaluable for longer range shots. But the IQ and DOF with the fast primes, is what I love.

I was going to pick up the 24-70, but I'd really only be buying it for the 24mm end, as with the 35 and 50, the rest of the range is already covered somewhat.

My D7000 is currently my backup, but I'll add a second D750 next year I imagine.

Question, i got mine today, trying to save some settings to U1 , everything saved ok except 2 sec timer delay, cant you save this?

Thanks

In my boredom today, I thought I'd have a look to see if I could find reference points in the D750 viewfinder for the rule of thirds...

Turns out (within a small tolerance!) it's the ends of the two [ and ] shapes in the viewfinder. Happy shooting!

Nikon-D750-AF-screen-rule-of-thirds.jpg

Seriously considering selling my 24-120 F4 for a 35mm prime. The Sigma Art is obviously the best choice for absolute image quality but the 35 1.8g doesn't seem far behind. Anyone tried both on a D750? The 35mm makes for a very compact package and I would likely pair this with my excellent 85 1.8.

Yes having 1.4 is nice but in reality I would probably not shoot much wider than 2.2 - 1.8, for narrow DOF I would probably pick up my 85.

I like the 24-120 but it is very bulky and I feel like my photography is better with primes as I think a lot more about composition.

Seriously considering selling my 24-120 F4 for a 35mm prime. The Sigma Art is obviously the best choice for absolute image quality but the 35 1.8g doesn't seem far behind. Anyone tried both on a D750? The 35mm makes for a very compact package and I would likely pair this with my excellent 85 1.8.

Yes having 1.4 is nice but in reality I would probably not shoot much wider than 2.2 - 1.8, for narrow DOF I would probably pick up my 85.

I like the 24-120 but it is very bulky and I feel like my photography is better with primes as I think a lot more about composition.

Youve already talked yourself into buying the 35 1.8g.

Should get my camera back on the 19th, and Nikon are fixing the mode selector dial that I broke for free/

The Nikon f1.8G really is a great lens, I've had that and the Sigma 35mm on the D800 and there was very very little in it performance wise, also take into account the cheaper price and smaller size and weight.
I might end up with one as I've been having trouble with the Sigma 35mm I bought so its going back (focus at distance not great)

I had the sigma 35 on my Canon 70D, lovely lens, focus was perhaps out a little but with the larger DOF on the crop sensor it was a little more forgiving. You can get the dock which should help.

I think I am sold on the 1.8g, I can get it for £339 (HDEW) which saves about £200 on the Sigma. I might look to put this towards a Nikon 20 1.8 purchase for a future potential trip to Iceland.

This would give me a 20/35/50/85 set of primes. The 50 will probably be redundant but for this price its worth keeping.

Back