Nikon D750 & D780

Picked up my Sigma 35 yesterday. Such good lens, really sharp wide open and gorgeous bokeh. Bizarrely, I didn’t need to AF tune mine and it was spot onto my eye, will spend sometime this weekend seeing if it needs any adjustments, also have the dock arriving today.

My lens line up is the similar to yours @AndrewSt , have the 50 and 85 G 1.8. Might start to look for a wide option but in no hurry. Used to have the 28mm 1.8G, very underrated lens IMO.

I've owned countless lenses over the years and my findings of a Nikon lens misbehaving or needing AF fine tune were not any different to the 3rd party brands

In fact none of my favourite lenses that I have ever owned were the first party ones and that includes the pro lenses etc.

Sigma has way way better 35/50mm lenses and Tamron in my opinion have a better 70-200. Not all 3rd party glass is inferior!!

Undeniably the sigma 35 is better. If I was a professional I would certainly go with the sigma, as an enthusiastic amateur and keen travel photographer the weight saving is what is pushing me towards the Nikon......Will probably post in a few days that I went for the Sigma ;)

The thing is that the Sigma shouldn't really be being compared to the cheaper its more astounding that its as good as the 2-3x dearer Nikon 35mm f1.4 G, the fact that the £400 odd Nikon f1.8G is anywhere close is remarkable in itself.

Yup, outstanding lens.... LOVE my 35 ART. Gives an amazing depth to images. @F1.4!

Last edited:
Perhaps so but there's a reason for that myth, no?

All manufacturers lenses can misbehave, not just Sigma, but yes, Sigma had started to earn a reputation with the QC of their older lenses but the new stuff starting with the OS line is much better. I have had quite a few bad experiences with the older EX/DG series but also good.

I don't find the character of the sigma to be any better than the Nikon. It is sharper though. The pluses for the Nikon though are that it's lighter and is weather sealed.

Every lens I've got has needed some degree of AF micro adjustment, and the amount has varied from camera to camera. This doesn't bother me at all, because regardless of whether it needs adjustment or not, I'll still be doing all the tests on it.

All my Nikon glass barring the 70-300mm need micro-adjusting one way or another, and the AF module alignment has been checked on my camera so it's not that. I tried 2 sigma 70-200mm f2.8's that still front focussed even when MA was set to 20.

After much deliberation over a D810/D750 I've finally taken the plunge and got a D750 with the Nikon grip.

I kinda lost confidence with Nikon after my D7100 debacle but D750 has restored my faith. It's a great all rounder and now my old D700 will finally be my back up. All my lenses work well on D750 and I'm especially pleased my 135mm DC does (it was lousy on a DX body) as it can sometimes be fickle but was great on my D700. My only gripe is not having 1/8000 shutter sync (as I tend to mostly shoot wide open) but with the rubbish UK weather it's not an issue I will encounter often. The AF is a little better than my D700 but miles better than D7100 ever managed.

I love the deep grip, light weight, IQ, AF and rear screen - it's a camera that will be ideal to use with some nice primes. I still love my D700 which still surprises me with great shots, but this is deffo a step up in virtually every area that I won't be reaching for D700 as often.

Last edited:
Stuart, if you're coming from a D700, the 1/4000 shutter shouldn't make that much of a practical difference as the D750 has a lower ISO range of 100 compared to the D700's 200 ISO.

I shoot at 1.4 a lot on my D750 as I'd previously done with my old D700.

Been reading ,, a few posts in this thread ,,, i have a bit of an issue , ive got the cash ,, to buy a D750 like yesterday, thou i think i need a d810 which is a few coin more,,, i shoot landscapes ,, and will be patnering next camera with a Nikon 16-35 f4 ,,,

Question is will the D750 do what i want it to do,, or do i wait for extra coin for the D810

help

Been reading ,, a few posts in this thread ,,, i have a bit of an issue , ive got the cash ,, to buy a D750 like yesterday, thou i think i need a d810 which is a few coin more,,, i shoot landscapes ,, and will be patnering next camera with a Nikon 16-35 f4 ,,,

Question is will the D750 do what i want it to do,, or do i wait for extra coin for the D810

help
I shoot landscapes with a D750 and 16-35 and I think it's a perfect combo - provided you don't need 36mpx.

help
Why do you need the D810, what medium will you be viewing your photos on? The reason I ask is that unless you're printing very large, or want to crop heavily you're never going to 'see' all the MP. Even a 4k screen in 'only' 8.3mp so if you had a D810 you have 28mp too many ;)

I use a D750 for landscape and it's absolutely fine for this, in fact I prefer it over a D810 as the flippy screen actually makes shooting landscapes easier as I shoot a lot close to the ground.

The billboard thing is a myth as well. I've a friend who's had loads of work from her 12mp D3s featured on billboards. The resolution that they use (sometimes as little as 10-15ppi apparently) doesn't necessitate the largest mp in the world because of viewing distances.

I did my first ever paid gig last night getting some shots at a wedding party for a former colleague (they had a smaller wedding last weekend and big party to follow!) - I was really impressed with the D750 this thing can AF in the dark! That said I did notice that the Nikon Primes (28/50/85) seemed to be more reliable focus wise than the Tamron 24-70 f2.8 which seemed to take longer to lock.

I read somewhere that the VC on the Tamron can take a second or so to lock on. Did you have the VC on? That may explain the hesitancy in locking on. The Nikon which doesn't have VC looks on quickly.

I am looking to get a flashgun for a couple of small family events at a lowly lit banqueting hall. Would you recommend the Nikon SB700 or the Yongnuo 568? I would like to experiment with off-camera flash at some point also so would need to look into wireless triggers? Would the SB700 work with Yongnuo triggers?

Yeah I did have the VC on, I did wonder whether I should have bothered when using a flashgun actually, it was really useful when shooting earlier though without the flash and auto-ISO on.

I picked up an SB-800 fairly cheaply and used that this weekend, I'd recommend one!

That seems to be where third party lenses fall down a little. When i had my D7k i had the Nikon 17-55 f2.8 Nd it would focus instantly and lock on straight away even in some pretty dim lighting at boxing events etc. Bought a D71k and thought it was going to be the nuts. Paired it with a Siggy 18-35 f1.8 and in the same dim lighting it was no where near as effective. The Tamron 17-50 vc was the same.

That seems to be where third party lenses fall down a little. When i had my D7k i had the Nikon 17-55 f2.8 Nd it would focus instantly and lock on straight away even in some pretty dim lighting at boxing events etc. Bought a D71k and thought it was going to be the nuts. Paired it with a Siggy 18-35 f1.8 and in the same dim lighting it was no where near as effective. The Tamron 17-50 vc was the same.

Its certainly made me think about what would I use if I was doing more paid work / events - I'll need to try it without the VC and see if it makes a difference, its not something I've ever noticed as most of my shooting doesn't rely on quick AF.

Its certainly made me think about what would I use if I was doing more paid work / events - I'll need to try it without the VC and see if it makes a difference, its not something I've ever noticed as most of my shooting doesn't rely on quick AF.
From my own experiences I've found that 3rd party don't work quite as good as Nikon stuff, but then I've also been flamed for this and been told it's in my head ;)

I am looking to get a flashgun for a couple of small family events at a lowly lit banqueting hall. Would you recommend the Nikon SB700 or the Yongnuo 568? I would like to experiment with off-camera flash at some point also so would need to look into wireless triggers? Would the SB700 work with Yongnuo triggers?
Sb-700 is a great flashgun and works brilliantly on the D750, and with CLS. Can't comment on the Yongy triggers though.

Can I ask anyone here who's moved from a D700/800 how you find the ergonomics of the D750?

I had a D600 for a while and never got on with it, but I'm seriously contemplating a D750 as they seem insanely good for the price.

Layout wise the D600 and D750 are very similar, the control pad is slightly lower on the D750. The biggest difference is the grip, it's deeper on the D750 which I find much more comfortable.

Can I ask anyone here who's moved from a D700/800 how you find the ergonomics of the D750?

I had a D600 for a while and never got on with it, but I'm seriously contemplating a D750 as they seem insanely good for the price.

When I first took the D750 out of the box I feared I would take some time getting used to the ergonomics of the D750 but honestly its much better, only a week later and I'm happy with where the controls are (wouldn't mind an AF-ON Button though), the grip is excellent and is easily the nicest Nikon DSLR I've held and its miles ahead of the D600 which I didn't find all that nice ergonomically!

Sb-700 is a great flashgun and works brilliantly on the D750, and with CLS. Can't comment on the Yongy triggers though.

Thanks for the SB-700 recommendation. This does seem a good match for the body size of the D750. The SB-910 is a tad over-budget but don't want to think I was missing out on any extra features or power output.

Just read the SB-700 can be triggered by the on-board flash so I don't need a wireless trigger like Yongnuo set-up? Seems a much simpler set-up than Yongnuo 568 & Triggers.

The D800 > D750 downsizing is very good. It feels more glued to the hands and easier to handle.

Last edited:
Thanks for the SB-700 recommendation. This does seem a good match for the body size of the D750. The SB-910 is a tad over-budget but don't want to think I was missing out on any extra features or power output.

Anyone used the Yongnuo triggers with an SB-700?

The D800 > D750 downsizing is very good. It feels more glued to the hands and easier to handle.
I think the only feature missing off the SB-700 compared to the 910 is the display showing what aperture to use for a given flash power and distance, or something like that at least (there's probably a couple of other things I'm not aware of :oops: :$). I find the flash range indicator all I need tbh, and not found the SB-700 lacking in power. However, we all have different needs and some might need that extra power, you know for lighting up an entire theatre or something ;):p The SB-910 is a monster as well, significantly bigger than the SB-700. Probably would dwarf the D750 :LOL:

Disclaimer: I accept no responsibility if you buy the SB-700 and don't like it :p

It's okay for me not as good as the D700/D8XX etc. but not as bad as I first thought. I was originally going to send back my D750 as I much preferred the layout on the older bigger bodies. After a few weeks I got used to it though and it's fine now.

I prefer the handling of the 750 to the 700. Better grip, lighter - and programming the video record button to handle ISO speed and switching between fixed and Auto ISO (which I do a lot) is brill. It sounds nicer too. :D

Decigallen mate - STUNNING

Some more avec the glorious 58mm

Bury-Cout-Barn-wedding-photography-Bex-and-Ryan-22-of-197.jpg

Bury-Cout-Barn-wedding-photography-Bex-and-Ryan-87-of-197.jpg

Bury-Cout-Barn-wedding-photography-Bex-and-Ryan-129-of-197.jpg

Bury-Cout-Barn-wedding-photography-Bex-and-Ryan-162-of-197.jpg

Bury-Cout-Barn-wedding-photography-Bex-and-Ryan-170-of-197.jpg

Bury-Cout-Barn-wedding-photography-Bex-and-Ryan-195-of-197.jpg

I was just browsing WEX and accidentally bought this lens and the 85mm F1.8G. oops.

If you like the 58mm view and can cope with manual focus the Voigtlander 1.4 58mm is an excellent lens

I was just browsing WEX and accidentally bought this lens and the 85mm F1.8G. oops.

Nice, I love the look of it and I actually have always really liked a 50mm but its a big cost jump over the standard 50! (That and haiving bought an 85 and 28mm I'm skint!)

Nice, I love the look of it and I actually have always really liked a 50mm but its a big cost jump over the standard 50! (That and haiving bought an 85 and 28mm I'm skint!)

Well, I was considering buying the 85mm F1.4, but, the 85mm F1.8G looks stunning at the price. And the 58mm + the 85mm F1.8, isn't far off what I was about to spend on the 85mm F1.4.

Now I just need something at the wider end. Thinking 24mm Sigma Art?

That'll give me 24, 35, 58, 85

Well, I was considering buying the 85mm F1.4, but, the 85mm F1.8G looks stunning at the price. And the 58mm + the 85mm F1.8, isn't far off what I was about to spend on the 85mm F1.4.

Now I just need something at the wider end. Thinking 24mm Sigma Art?

That'll give me 24, 35, 58, 85

I've been tempted by the 24 Art its meant to be a cracking lens but I'm still not fully sold on a full move to primes only (which I'd need to do to afford them by selling the 24-70).

Right now I've got the 28 f1.8,50 f1.8 ,85 f1.8 & 70-200 f4 along with the Tamron 24-70.

I'm minded to move on the 28 and 50 to fund a new Sigma 35mm (used one went back) - but I could also do with a wide angle for my holiday in July... might just keep the 28 for now for the holiday and add a 20mm f1.8

Back