Nikon D750 & D780

Quicker just to press the record button and turn the front dial :p

It is for one function, but for setting up your flash mode, it's superb. I tend to have my standard shoot mode on U1 and studio setup on U2. Dead simple to reset if you drift out of any of your favourite settings.

Outdoor matrix works well as the D750 has. face priority option in matrix metering, meaning it will recognise a face and bias the metering to get the face exposed properly (within reason). If you want to make sure you have the exact exposure then use manual exposure, get close ish to your 'model' and use spot metering on their cheek or similar area and set the parameters accordingly. I've never used filters for portraits (it's a genre I don't shoot much of unfortunately) but like most things you generally get what you pay for. Glass are generally better than plastic/resin, but are very easy to break/damage.

Thanks for replying. Thought face detection is one of those focus thing that's similar to phone's camera with rectangle boxes around faces. Any tips using this face detection?

Thanks for replying. Thought face detection is one of those focus thing that's similar to phone's camera with rectangle boxes around faces. Any tips using this face detection?
OK so on the D750 you have two things, face detection which is a metering system that prioritises exposure for a face if it recognises one in the frame. You have to set this to on in the menu, and then be in matrix metering for it to work. There is another thing called face priority AF in which the AF will track a person's face. This (I believe) can only be used in liveview, AFAIK you cannot use face 'tracking' in the viewfinder.

Reactions: bbk
This will be my last wedding season as a Nikon shooter.

Ordered the replacement for one of the bodies today, will swap the other out next year.

Ordered the replacement for one of the bodies today, will swap the other out next year.
Have I missed what you're moving to?

I was shooting a wedding yesterday and the videographer was shooting an A7iii, I avoided it like the plague, I don’t need that level of temptation :LOL:

:eek:

Seems quite a few Nikon wedding photographers moving to Sony at the moment.

Last edited:
:eek:

Seems quite a few Nikon wedding photographers moving to Sony at the moment.

As are the Canon shooters. I would guess quite a few along with myself where waiting for the release of the Canikon mirrorless options before making a decision and as the options where underwhelming have jumped ship. That was certainly the case for me, I am now switched over too Sony for weddings but will hold onto some Nikon stuff for other things.

Quite a few advantages for wedding photographers. Lighter set up, better a.f, eye a.f, no having to tune lenses, live view works, silent shooting option etc.

Last edited:
As are the Canon shooters. I would guess quite a few along with myself where waiting for the release of the Canikon mirrorless options before making a decision and as the options where underwhelming have jumped ship. That was certainly the case for me, I am now switched over too Sony for weddings but will hold onto some Nikon stuff for other things.

Quite a few advantages for wedding photographers. Lighter set up, better a.f, eye a.f, no having to tune lenses, live view works, silent shooting option etc.

Yeah exactly this, and with the Nikon mirrorless being a different mount, it was just going to be like switching system anyway cost-wise.

I'm keeping one Nikon for now, with a couple of lenses

Yeah exactly this, and with the Nikon mirrorless being a different mount, it was just going to be like switching system anyway cost-wise.

I'm keeping one Nikon for now, with a couple of lenses

If Nikon had included a second card slot on the Z6 I probably wouldn’t have changed been using Nikon cameras for the best part of 15 years so a big change for me.Having using the Sony’s at a couple of weddings and some other stuff now though I am glad I did.

I am keeping a D850 and a couple of lenses, my missus hasn’t been tempted yet so we will still have a couple of D750’s and her D850 as well plus the lenses she mainly uses.

Having used mirrorless in the past (Fuji) I can definitely see the advantages of certain things but having chopped and changed camera gear so much over the past year or so I still find the D750 ideal for my use (never say never mind) :D

As long as it's not a wet wedding ...... :p

I still think a Z6/Z7 might be worth a go when I swap out the one body. The card slot thing is a slight annoyance but not a deal breaker for me. I can’t be bothered to sell lenses and so some integration would outweigh the negatives.

Last edited:
MPB have just cut D750 trade in prices by £80!!! Ouch.

Looking on their site they have 24 in stock, too many people leaving Nikon for Sony...[emoji15]

Last edited:
Did my first low light event shoot last night with the D750 and have to say i was really disappointed with it's low light focus performance. I'd even go as far to say my D7200 does a better job in low light.

Any advice on best low light AF settings ?

The event was in a marquee with fairy lights and candles. I tried combinations of AFC, AFS with 5point, AUTO. Also with flash (sb800) and without.

Lenses were both Tamrons - 70-200 f2.8 / 24-70 f2.8

I ended up moving away from focusing on faces and trying white collars to get a decent contrast point to allow the camera to find focus, sadly missed a lot of photos while it hunted around. The AF-assist light helped from the flash but i believe this is only available in 'Auto' which normally chooses focus points i dont want. I like to use single point focus on eyes when possible and af-c

Hope this can be improved through settings or is the FF body more favourable to Nikon's own lenses ?

tia
Mike

Did my first low light event shoot last night with the D750 and have to say i was really disappointed with it's low light focus performance. I'd even go as far to say my D7200 does a better job in low light.

The event was in a marquee with fairy lights and candles. I tried combinations of AFC, AFS with 5point, AUTO. Also with flash (sb800) and without.

I ended up moving away from focusing on faces and trying white collars to get a decent contrast point to allow the camera to find focus, sadly missed a lot of photos while it hunted around. The AF-assist light helped from the flash but i believe this is only available in 'Auto' which normally chooses focus points i dont want. I like to use single point focus on eyes when possible and af-c

Hope this can be improved through settings or is the FF body more favourable to Nikon's own lenses ?

tia
Mike

Possibly a lens rather than body issue have never had any issues with D750’s struggling in low light. It is one of their best features.

Possibly a lens rather than body issue have never had any issues with D750’s struggling in low light. It is one of their best features.

I thought that but why would both lenses struggle at times ?

I thought that but why would both lenses struggle at times ?

Tamron & Sigma lenses don’t focus as well as Nikon’s own lenses in low light. You have to remember that Nikon provides them with no info so they have to reverse engineer all of the autofocus algorithms.

Got absolutely soaked yesterday no problems at all.

I got drenched on Friday walking back to the car too, I was using 2 lenses that aren’t weather proof too, all seem fine. They got some shelter under my coat when it got really heavy :LOL:

Friday was also the first time I’ve used the D750 on quiet too (first Wedding with a videographer with these bodies) and it didn’t really seem that quiet on the whole :LOL:

tia
Mike

Definitely strange, just out of interest, which focus point were you using?

I got drenched on Friday walking back to the car too, I was using 2 lenses that aren’t weather proof too, all seem fine. They got some shelter under my coat when it got really heavy :LOL:

Friday was also the first time I’ve used the D750 on quiet too (first Wedding with a videographer with these bodies) and it didn’t really seem that quiet on the whole :LOL:

That was about Sony not Nikon.

You can get Nikon stuff sodding wet and it won’t matter.

Back