Nikon D750 & D780

I am with Graham above. Have had both D7100 and D750 and the latter is better in every way apart from the crop factor.

So did i Shaheed, you can always have a play with my D750 if you want to.

Gary, how much better is the AF in low light between the d750 and d800?

My d800 was struggling in low light yesterday night at a party (are you coming - you wouldn't mind bringing your camera would you!!?) at Cleck rugby club. I know you rate the d750 pretty highly.

I was hoping someone can help with a custom setting I wanted to do on my D750.

I wanted to swap the aperture control from the front to the shutter control on the back of the camera. So basically swap the aperture and shutter control around. I had managed to do this on my D800 back when I first got it but not sure how to do it on my D750.

Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

My d800 was struggling in low light yesterday night at a party (are you coming - you wouldn't mind bringing your camera would you!!?) at Cleck rugby club. I know you rate the d750 pretty highly.
Dont remember using the D800 in low light but youre free to borrow the D750 for a couple of days to try out for yourself

I was hoping someone can help with a custom setting I wanted to do on my D750.

I wanted to swap the aperture control from the front to the shutter control on the back of the camera. So basically swap the aperture and shutter control around. I had managed to do this on my D800 back when I first got it but not sure how to do it on my D750.

Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Righty ho.
Press the menu button > Go to Custom Settings (Pencil symbol) > Scroll down to "f" controls > "Right click" the multi-selector > Scroll down to f5 customize command dials > "Right click" the multi-selector > Scroll down one place to Change main/sub > "Right click" the multi-selector > The "Exposure setting will say "On" (OR "Off") > "Right click" the multi-selector > Scroll down to "Off" (Or "On") > Press "Ok" to set.

That will swap the main and sub command dial functions. :)

I personally think the D750 AF is night and day better than the D800 was - it seems to be able to AF when its practically dark, something my D800 never did

I personally think the D750 AF is night and day better than the D800 was - it seems to be able to AF when its practically dark, something my D800 never did

I mainly shoot in studio/decent light. It was very different last night!! Even wide open with a sigma 35 f1.4.

Hmmm. The case is building for a d750!! Especially as I remember buying a new d90 for 750 when I first started. The d750 seems to be a lot if camera for the (panamoz) price. There is a slight debate about a d810 but I can't see the benefit if I'm going to keep the d800 anyway!!

I mainly shoot in studio/decent light. It was very different last night!! Even wide open with a sigma 35 f1.4.

Hmmm. The case is building for a d750!! Especially as I remember buying a new d90 for 750 when I first started. The d750 seems to be a lot if camera for the (panamoz) price. There is a slight debate about a d810 but I can't see the benefit if I'm going to keep the d800 anyway!!

I had the same debate, I couldn't see much over the D800 that the D810 would offer me and in fact if I picked up a second body it would be close between a D800E/D750.

The Panamoz price is a steal its even around £150 that I paid a few weeks ago, I'm seriously considering a second one to let me run a two prime setup and not swap bodies!

I had the same debate, I couldn't see much over the D800 that the D810 would offer me and in fact if I picked up a second body it would be close between a D800E/D750.

The Panamoz price is a steal its even around £150 that I paid a few weeks ago, I'm seriously considering a second one to let me run a two prime setup and not swap bodies!

Yeah, I think I'm pretty sorted for lenses.....the d750 will be had in time for Xmas I think!

The d800 I just love and it's the first time I've not been totally happy with it

Yeah, I think I'm pretty sorted for lenses.....the d750 will be had in time for Xmas I think!

The d800 I just love and it's the first time I've not been totally happy with it

I loved mine but I've been on a quest for something a little smaller and lighter, the D750 fulfils that out-scores the D800 on a number of bits (AF being on) I guess we have to remember that the D750 is basically brand new kit (late 2014) whereas the D800 is a fair few years old now (3.5 roughly!), I'm never saying never when it comes to buying a smaller mirrorless system, especially now that I know 24mp is plenty for me but the D750 seems the best of both worlds for me!

Ive had one of these for 2 weeks now, ive come from canon 5d3, 1d4 etc, im amazed hardly anyone mentions the yellow egg timer that comes up ie the delay between viewing pics, or looking at a shot after taking one.

Something ive never ever seen on any canon body, this alone pretty much wants me to get rid of it.

Ive had one of these for 2 weeks now, ive come from canon 5d3, 1d4 etc, im amazed hardly anyone mentions the yellow egg timer that comes up ie the delay between viewing pics, or looking at a shot after taking one.

Something ive never ever seen on any canon body, this alone pretty much wants me to get rid of it.

I can't say its something I've come across myself, what speed of SD card are you using?

It only happens to me if the top display has timed out. Same if pressing the menu or info buttons.

I use Sandisk Pro 95mb/s and the only time I get the egg timer is if the camera has gone to sleep, as mentioned above.

Mine most definitely doesn't show an egg timer between viewing photos. The first time I go into playback the egg timer shows for about 1/10th of a second initially and that's it. When I go out and go back into viewing again it doesn't show up. Just checked my other body there and it's identical. Sounds more like your card or something mate.

I had a mk3 myself and there's no difference at all at viewing photos etc speed wise.

@Graham W thanks for the instructions on swapping the main and sub command dial functions.

Happy days! I just prefer to change the aperture from the back and got so used to it.

Yep, last one for me too.

Loving the Hi-ISO capability of this thing, I've been processing shots from a wedding party a week ago and I'm astounded by how little noise there is and how good the noise that is there looks! Certainly easier on the eye than my D800 was!

Love the last one. :)

That's her usual pose if I try to take her photo, sometimes I'd just like to get a nice one of her smiling!

I'm not sure if the lens needs some fine tuning or not, the DOF is so thin at 1.4 that it's really easy to *just* miss getting sharp focus on the eyes. Going to get it on a tripod and properly check it before I use it at a wedding.

I've had it too and I'm using a pretty fast card... To be honest, it's just a minor annoyance and easily overlooked in favour of the positives. There's no such thing as the 'perfect camera' remember. :)

That's her usual pose if I try to take her photo, sometimes I'd just like to get a nice one of her smiling!

I'm not sure if the lens needs some fine tuning or not, the DOF is so thin at 1.4 that it's really easy to *just* miss getting sharp focus on the eyes. Going to get it on a tripod and properly check it before I use it at a wedding.
Sure it's probably just the DOF, just breathing will 'throw it off'. Always worth a quick test though, although I do also double check it by 'everyday' use as shooting at charts doesn't always translate exactly to how it will perform 'in the field'.

Loving the Hi-ISO capability of this thing, I've been processing shots from a wedding party a week ago and I'm astounded by how little noise there is and how good the noise that is there looks! Certainly easier on the eye than my D800 was!
Yeah high ISO and low light performance is crazy. This weekend I got a useable shot where light was so low I had to shoot at 12800 ISO with a slow shutter of 1/40 even though I was at f2.8.

Sure it's probably just the DOF, just breathing will 'throw it off'. Always worth a quick test though, although I do also double check it by 'everyday' use as shooting at charts doesn't always translate exactly to how it will perform 'in the field'.

Yeah, I think you're right, but I like to check my lenses just in case. Doesn't take that long anyway, in reality, for weddings, I'm not that likely to be shooting at F1.4 so close to the subject.

Some advice on the 24-120 f4 lens please.

Due to arm and hand problems I'm thinking of selling my current D750 body and some lenses and re-buying with this lens, as it seems the cheapest option as a package. Whats the lens like from a weight point of view? is it front heavy, could you use the body and lens one handed and how good is the VR etc............. Misses was off last week and we went out and about and I enjoyed taking some landscapes which is a change for me, from shooting birds in the garden. Whats the lens like for landscapes? the widest I have now is an old Sigma 28-70.

My initial plan was to re-buy a Fuji XT1 for going out etc........ but thats not going to happen this year, so I need the D750 to work a little better for me rather than using our P&S camera.

Due to arm and hand problems I'm thinking of selling my current D750 body and some lenses and re-buying with this lens, as it seems the cheapest option as a package. Whats the lens like from a weight point of view? is it front heavy, could you use the body and lens one handed and how good is the VR etc............. Misses was off last week and we went out and about and I enjoyed taking some landscapes which is a change for me, from shooting birds in the garden. Whats the lens like for landscapes? the widest I have now is an old Sigma 28-70.

My initial plan was to re-buy a Fuji XT1 for going out etc........ but thats not going to happen this year, so I need the D750 to work a little better for me rather than using our P&S camera.

I found its not the lightest lens in the world, its pretty close to my Tamron 24-70 f2.8 which is a beast! I'm not sure you'd get away with using it one handed - the VR is good but it does have its limits.

It's not the lightest, but very versatile. I am selling mine purely due to preferring primes and the shallow DOF. I bought mine for travel and it served well.

What lenses do you currently have?

How about the 24-85mm VR, great lens, super sharp, reviews say sharper wide open than the 24-120mm, i keep thinking about a 24-120 myself for the extra reach but £250 used for the 24-85mm made it a no brainer, most reviews when testing both side by side say the only real benefit of the 24-120mm is the extra reach

Last edited:

Can I get this straight you're wanting to sell your D750 to buy another D750 with 24-120mm? Are you sure you're not going to lose out, maybe it's worth looking at a used 24-120mm? What would you get for the D750 2nd hand, £1200-1300? The D750 with 24-120mm is £2300 meaning it'd cost you £1000-1100 to swap. Why not just buy a 2nd hand 24-120mm f4 for £550 and save yourself £500? The 24-120mm with D750 isn't the lightest combo either, so if you're looking at swapping because of your hand I'd say this isn't the best option, and a CSC might be a better choice altogether rather than having it as a second system? Alternatively why not look at a cheaper CSC like the A6000?

How about the 24-85mm VR, great lens, super sharp, reviews say sharper wide open than the 24-120mm, i keep thinking about a 24-120 myself but £250 used for the 24-85mm made it a no brainer, most reviews when testing both side by side say the only real benefit of the 24-120mm is the extra reach
And the F4 ;)

Can I get this straight you're wanting to sell your D750 to buy another D750 with 24-120mm? Are you sure you're not going to lose out, maybe it's worth looking at a used 24-120mm? What would you get for the D750 2nd hand, £1200-1300? The D750 with 24-120mm is £2300 meaning it'd cost you £1000-1100 to swap. Why not just buy a 2nd hand 24-120mm f4 for £550 and save yourself £500? The 24-120mm with D750 isn't the lightest combo either, so if you're looking at swapping because of your hand I'd say this isn't the best option, and a CSC might be a better choice altogether rather than having it as a second system? Alternatively why not look at a cheaper CSC like the A6000?
Panamoz, £1,363 for the D750 and 24-120mm kit

Theres also 2 brand new kit 24-120mm lenses on here for £400

Last edited:
Back