Nikon D750 & D780

I found the 18-35 pretty astonishing tbh. It was crazy sharp!

Right, been having a play with a few shots ready for Fridays wedding. Better opportunities will probably present themselves on the day but i thought I'd try a few anyway.

Thoughts?

Wedding Rings
by David Raynham, on Flickr

Wedding Shoes

These two shots are very nice m8, the rings shot for me is very creative and works nicely. On a personal note I would have framed the rings just a tad to the left bringing them to the thirds, only my opinion of coarse and should not deter from a very nice presentation.(y)

The shot of the shoes is also a very nice take on a regular type of images but I think your interpretation works very well.(y)

George.

It might not be the final shot, just fannying around really. The day will hopefully offer some nice natural light so perhaps i will try something completely different. Ha. I like the idea of trying to get the rings in a bokeh ball. I need a shot of the brides ring with her engagement ring on the day anyway so this shot probably won't make the final set.

Easy to recreate though, all the damn stuff is at my house. Lols.

I took a walk up to Hampton Court Palace after work today, spent an hour with the 50mm 1.8g and the 18-35 3.5g, and I have to say I'm really happy with the 50, not so much the 18-35. I'm guessing the IQ difference is more noticeable on full frame? So I need some suggestions for a good wide angle prime?

Anyway, I'm in love with the D750. I'm not an experienced tog by any stretch, but I found myself bracketing long exposures with AF switched off and on self timer - on previous cameras I would have panicked thinking about how to do that, but tonight it just happened as second nature. Feels good [emoji3]

Anyway, here's one with the 50mm of the palace, this time of the year they light it up in changing colours.

View attachment 51065

Great shot Gregg, lovely colours and nice detail in the shadows & highlights. Good to see some light still in the sky.(y)

George.

Yeah surprised by your finding the 18-35 not to be good, its generally regarded as a stellar lens, I much prefer it to either the 16-35 I've had (had a couple actually) or indeed the new 20mm f1.8G lens, pretty close to looking at picking up another 18-35 actually!

Right, thanks everyone, I'll test more before I send it back.

ISO 9000 .......... yep that's 9000

with a little NR

Blue Tits are small birds
ISO9000_BT.jpg

Last edited:

Right, been having a play with a few shots ready for Fridays wedding. Better opportunities will probably present themselves on the day but i thought I'd try a few anyway.

Thoughts?

Wedding Rings

Really like this mate. Original image, great bokeh

Ooooooo, love the bokeh rings [emoji3]

(Maybe I should try the 18-35 again tomorrow...)
Got the 18-35mm a couple of months ago when I bought my 750. Pleased with it so far though the weather took a turn for the worse after I got it!
Hoping that Santa brings a 50mm 1.8 as there's a big gap in my range just there at the moment.

That's what I read, and on its own it is good, but compared side by side with the 50 it looked meh - if you know what I mean!??

Maybe I should do a proper daylight side by side test, but I know I won't, as when I have a feeling I normally follow it!
In what way does it look meh? The 18-35mm obviously won't be able to produce the same level of subject isolation or bokeh as the 50mm but that's not what it's for. The 18-35mm is a really sharp lens and detail is superb, I'm really impressed with mine.

That would have been my choice, if I hadn`t gone long. It gets great reviews, and everyone I know (apart from Gregg) loves it. Go figure ...

It looks a bit soft to me, especially in the corners. I'm going to get a card and fine tune it to see if it needs tweaking

ISO 9000 .......... yep that's 9000

with a little NR

Blue Tits are small birds
ISO9000_BT.jpg

Nice to know it can look this good at high iso, could I enquire as to what NR method you used as retained detail is very good.

Nice to know it can look this good at high iso, could I enquire as to what NR method you used as retained detail is very good.

NR just a small amount in Lightroom, on the full image ...... all the adjustments were done in LR - except cloning out the branches

here is the original image

It is a crop - D750 - 300mm f4 PF VR + TC14Elll - 1/1250th sec - f6.3 - VR off - ISO9000 - hand held
ISO9000_BT_original.jpg

Here's one from Ghent - D750 + 24-85 VR

Ghent at night

Great shot @anibap , well composed with plenty of detail. Just wondered if there is a little more shadow detail in there somewhere as I think it would have been even better if you could see a bit of detail in the top of the main tower. Still a very nice shot though.(y)

George.

Thoughts?

Wedding Rings

Wedding Shoes

I think the ring shot is brilliant, not so sure on the shoes, they seem a little lost in the composition for me. For me, there's too much wall and I can't see the whole photo on my 24" monitor. Could you try cropping the top off to just above the "white Paris lettering". I think the pics are roughly the same height??.. but, I think the rings work better due to them being more into the composition, hope that makes sense.

Not weird at all, just being different, which will set you out from the crowd and create your own style. Thinking about the shoes again, perhaps its the amount of beige in the shot which made my comment, perhaps it would be different against another background, but I get the "Paris" in the photo. Perhaps it's me who's weird? :eek:

A few years ago, our best friends got married and the photogrpaher took some photos of the brides shoes resting on the bath top, I thought at the time WTF, but since getting more into photography I understand the theme of the photo now, which was retro. With the shoes being on a roll top, old style bath, as a set it now works in my eyes.

I like the shoe shot - it makes me think there's a story to the 'Paris' wallpaper. Weddings are all about stories.

I've only ever do a 'ring shot' if asked or if something interesting presents itself. Brides probably hate me for it! You've done something different to the usual shots that I see, David.

NR just a small amount in Lightroom, on the full image ...... all the adjustments were done in LR - except cloning out the branches

here is the original image

It is a crop - D750 - 300mm f4 PF VR + TC14Elll - 1/1250th sec - f6.3 - VR off - ISO9000 - hand held
ISO9000_BT_original.jpg

Music to my ears, I was hoping it wasn't a complicated procedure. Thanks for the reply & example.

It looks a bit soft to me, especially in the corners. I'm going to get a card and fine tune it to see if it needs tweaking

If I did the test right, then the 18-35 was focusing '4' too far ahead. Now adjusted and need to find a brick wall to test it on [emoji1].

Being a newbie, would this minor adjustment be enough to make the difference do you think? I've got no experience in lens adjustments and before I came to this forum I didn't even know it existed!

Thanks, G

If I did the test right, then the 18-35 was focusing '4' too far ahead. Now adjusted and need to find a brick wall to test it on [emoji1].

Being a newbie, would this minor adjustment be enough to make the difference do you think? I've got no experience in lens adjustments and before I came to this forum I didn't even know it existed!

Thanks, G
Could be the case. Also, wide angled lenses will generally also show quite a bit of softening at the edges (relatively speaking) just by their very nature, but I have to say the 18-35mm is one of the best I've seen at maintaining decent sharpness across the frame.

Just for fun, I thought I`d get my baby out (Sigma 24mm f2.8 super wide). It`s slower than a snail on valium, and sounds like a rusty robot, but good fun :)
Lit with 3 x SB800`s (I seem to have a thing about flash guns)

Just Buttons by Paulie-W, on Flickr

Last edited:
Works pretty good for me Paul, great idea, well composed, nicely lit with really good detail.(y)

George.

Thoughts?

Wedding Rings

Wedding Shoes
Nice work David but have you thought about trying the rings shot with just white fairy lights ?

Yep, i mentioned that earlier on. It means the missus would have to get some out of the loft and that runs the risk of her trimming up... :eek:

Maybe it's worth the risk though? :D
Or pull the saturation down in a new layer, keeping the rings as is?

Works pretty good for me Paul, great idea, well composed, nicely lit with really good detail.(y)

George.

Thanks George. It`s my bargain lens :)

I can't decide whether to get a second D750 or a D800 for my second body.

Bit of a no brainer to me. D750.

Yeah, that's definitely what I'm leaning towards. I was only tempted by a D800 for portrait work. But since the majority of stuff I do is weddings, the D750 will suit me far better for that.

Still want a longer prime as well.

Back