Nikon D750 & D780

.. gentle reminder.. it's generally considered poor form to comment on a model's appearance other than from a photographic PoV, or for the appropriateness of the model to the scene being created.

fwiw I posted in here rather than one of the critique groups 'cos it's a fun pic I'd like to share but I know it's got lots of flaws, not least my processing which is a bit rough and ready.
Oh, and lastly.. Jada is moving from glamour to fitness modelling 'cos she's knows she's not getting any younger.
I think shes lovely and the photo is great

.. gentle reminder.. it's generally considered poor form to comment on a model's appearance other than from a photographic PoV, or for the appropriateness of the model to the scene being created.

fwiw I posted in here rather than one of the critique groups 'cos it's a fun pic I'd like to share but I know it's got lots of flaws, not least my processing which is a bit rough and ready.
Oh, and lastly.. Jada is moving from glamour to fitness modelling 'cos she's knows she's not getting any younger.

It is relevant to the photograph, for me. I like the lighting and the processing to be fair.

My 50mm decided it was fed up and went for a bit of a tumble.... not really worth repairing due to how cheap there are!

But my friend is selling a 1.4g for around the same price... but from what I have read the 1.8g is the better lens?

Any user opinions would be handy before I make the plunge!!

My 50mm decided it was fed up and went for a bit of a tumble.... not really worth repairing due to how cheap there are!

But my friend is selling a 1.4g for around the same price... but from what I have read the 1.8g is the better lens?

Any user opinions would be handy before I make the plunge!!
F1.4 is better. It's the 85mm where the f1.8 is sharper.

1.4g is £300 new so if your mate is offering it for £100 then snap it up!!

But the 1.8g is only £90 used

1.4g is £300 new so if your mate is offering it for £100 then snap it up!!

But the 1.8g is only £90 used
Yeah, £100 for a 50mm f1.4 is a bargain (assuming good condition G lens). If you don't want it JJ I'll buy it ;)

I got GAS :D

Fwiw, I tried both the 1.4 G and the 1.8 G 50mm's.
I chose the 1.8, as I prefer the rendition, and the bokeh was smoother.
IMHO, of course.

Thank you for choosing Nikon for your photographic needs.

We have received indications from some users that when photographing scenes in which a bright light source, such as the sun or high-intensity lighting, is at a certain position along the top border of the frame, flare with an unnatural shape may sometimes occur in images captured with the D750 digital SLR camera.

For those who have already purchased a D750 and would like to have their camera serviced to correct this issue, Nikon service centers will service cameras as indicated below. We sincerely apologize for any inconvenience this issue may have caused.

Identifying affected products
To check whether or not your camera is one of those affected by this issue, click Check Your Serial Number below and enter your D750's serial number as instructed. Results for the serial number entered will be displayed. If these results show that your camera is one of those affected, instructions for requesting service will be displayed. If your camera is not one of those affected, rest assured that you may continue using your camera without concern for this issue.

Check Your Serial Number

Please note that even if a camera's serial number identifies it as one affected by this issue, a black dot inside the tripod socket on the bottom of the camera, like that shown in the photo below, indicates that the measures to resolve this issue as indicated below have already been applied.

link to page
http://www.nikonusa.com/en/service-...ice-Advisory-for-Users-of-the-Nikon-D750.html

As above the black dot on the tripod mount was for the flare issue, not the shutter issue.

More internet scaremongering.

well it may be scaremongering to you but my 750 has been having this problems for a little while althrough i only recently started paying attention to it. I assumed it was an iffy sd card when it happened previously but its not. When it occurs the only thing that shifts it is to fire of a shot. removing the battery/turning off and and/ore changing cards makes no difference. Ive now had the issue with no cards mounted and accross 3 of my lenses. i spent last weekend in vencice and the camera locked up 4 times. Its due to go back for the shutter issue {im queued} so ive called them to include this in the return.

It is being suggested in otehr parts that the physical shutter mechanism is getting stuck. While im no expert from my experience with the issue this seems reasonable. Now curious if this is causing all the debris and crap on my sensor with the mirror being spotless.

well it may be scaremongering to you but my 750 has been having this problems for a little while althrough i only recently started paying attention to it. I assumed it was an iffy sd card when it happened previously but its not. When it occurs the only thing that shifts it is to fire of a shot. removing the battery/turning off and and/ore changing cards makes no difference. Ive now had the issue with no cards mounted and accross 3 of my lenses. i spent last weekend in vencice and the camera locked up 4 times. Its due to go back for the shutter issue {im queued} so ive called them to include this in the return.

It is being suggested in otehr parts that the physical shutter mechanism is getting stuck. While im no expert from my experience with the issue this seems reasonable. Now curious if this is causing all the debris and crap on my sensor with the mirror being spotless.

Isnt that part of the latest recall?

Last edited:
Hmmm, I tried both and chose the 85 1.4 as preferred the rendition, build and was sharper IMHO.
I prefer the rendition of the f1.4 too, and money no object would choose this over the f1.8. Every test I've seen shows the f1.8 as sharper though, even when both at f1.8.

Boom stand acquired. Not really D750 specific of course, but it'll mean I can justify a full on portrait session with the whole family playing along at the weekend :)

Hopefully the aforementioned boom stand will not collapse and injure any of my children or my wife!

I prefer the rendition of the f1.4 too, and money no object would choose this over the f1.8. Every test I've seen shows the f1.8 as sharper though, even when both at f1.8.

I don't take too much notice these days of test reviews, they serve as a general overview, but real world shooting is what I prefer to listen to. FWIW DXO had them both pretty much identical, with the 1.4 a digit sharper. I tend to shoot around f2 anyway where it really shines. They're both stellar lenses and two of the sharpest apparently tested from what I read.

I don't take too much notice these days of test reviews, they serve as a general overview, but real world shooting is what I prefer to listen to. FWIW DXO had them both pretty much identical, with the 1.4 a digit sharper. I tend to shoot around f2 anyway where it really shines. They're both stellar lenses and two of the sharpest apparently tested from what I read.
I tend to look at real world reviews too rather than test scores. I'm not obsessed with lens sharpness these days though TBH, nearly all modern lenses are plenty sharp enough. Rendering and 'pop' is what I look at.

Back