Nikon D750 & D780

I'm thinking of jumping into the full frame world, from a D90.

I mainly want it as my main subjects tend to be landscapes and I really want to get into Astro landscapes (milk way espexially).

Is the money investment worthwhile, also considering I don't have any FX lenses?

Where is the best place to buy brand new?

I'm thinking of jumping into the full frame world, from a D90.

I mainly want it as my main subjects tend to be landscapes and I really want to get into Astro landscapes (milk way espexially).

Is the money investment worthwhile, also considering I don't have any FX lenses?

Where is the best place to buy brand new?
Is it a worthwhile investment? Only you can decide that tbh. The bridge between APS-C and FF has bridged enormously and in the real world there's not a lot between them. I've recently run the D500 alongside the D750 and the difference in noise handling is pretty small, but obviously the D750 is still better but by less than a stop imo. What lenses do you have already? If you're heavily invested in DX glass then maybe a newer DX body might be a more sensible/logical upgrade. The difference between the D90 and D500 for example will be quite big.

Hi Mark, i have the 24-85 and find it quite a nice lens. I no longer have a D750 but it performs well on my Df. Having owned three Nikon 'normal' range zooms, the 24-70mm f2.8, 24-120mm f4 VR and the 24-85mm VR, i can't see a difference between them with regards to IQ. What you pay for on the pro 24-70 is the instantaneous focus speed and the extra light gathering abilities. The 24-120 is a nice range and performs well. The constant aperture is nice as is the VR. The 24-85 is often over looked as it's seen as the crap kit lens but in reality it is a real gem. The VR is great and its weight is a real bonus imo.

:)

Recently someone mentioned on here using a high pass filter in PS to add sharpening, which I have been doing. My process has been convert to smart object > Filter > High Pass > pixel size > select normal or soft light > select percentage. However, this is a global adjustment, is there any way to do this to part of the image, such as brushing out parts that you don't want to add the filter to?

Just add another layer before sharpening in hi pass, then mask it and paint out (or in) what you don't want (y)

Just add another layer before sharpening in hi pass, then mask it and paint out (or in) what you don't want (y)
Thanks. I've tried that (I think o_O) but it I don't convert to a smart object I don't seem to have the option to change the hi-pass filter to soft light, overlay etc :confused: I'm rubbish with PS :LOL:

Thanks. I've tried that (I think o_O) but it I don't convert to a smart object I don't seem to have the option to change the hi-pass filter to soft light, overlay etc :confused: I'm rubbish with PS :LOL:

No i don`t convert either.
Control J, then hi pass (leave at 100% for practice, then adjust opacity later) hard or soft light, then the layer mask button, then making sure your little squares are black and white, you can then paint in sharpness :)

PS for Toby.jpg

No i don`t convert either.
Control J, then hi pass (leave at 100% for practice, then adjust opacity later) hard or soft light, then the layer mask button, then making sure your little squares are black and white, you can then paint in sharpness :)

View attachment 100919
Thanks a lot, I'll give this a go.

Is it a worthwhile investment? Only you can decide that tbh. The bridge between APS-C and FF has bridged enormously and in the real world there's not a lot between them. I've recently run the D500 alongside the D750 and the difference in noise handling is pretty small, but obviously the D750 is still better but by less than a stop imo. What lenses do you have already? If you're heavily invested in DX glass then maybe a newer DX body might be a more sensible/logical upgrade. The difference between the D90 and D500 for example will be quite big.
I have a sigma 17-70, tokina 11-16mm. The d500 is even more expensive than the d750, but at least I wouldn't need new lenses. Hmmm

I have a sigma 17-70, tokina 11-16mm. The d500 is even more expensive than the d750, but at least I wouldn't need new lenses. Hmmm
So you're not particularly heavily invested in lenses then so I guess it's up to you. It's a tough one, the D500 is better than the D750 in a lot of ways, but ultimately I still prefer the final image from the D750. There's not a lot in it though, and if I was heavily invested in good DX glass I'd chose the D500. For landscape and astro you don't need a lot of what the D500 offers over the D750, ie better AF, more fps etc and the D750 will give better results for the types of shooting you want to do. The other thing to consider though is that you already have a fast wide angle lens and to get a wide angle f2.8 FX lens isn't cheap, although the Tokina 16-28mm f2.8 isn't 'too' bad at £650

what about nikon d7200? is that not a more natural upgrade?
How does that compare noise wise against the D750? If it wasn't for the fact that I am wanting to get more into Astrophotgraphy, I probably wouldn't even be considering moving away from my D90

How does that compare noise wise against the D750? If it wasn't for the fact that I am wanting to get more into Astrophotgraphy, I probably wouldn't even be considering moving away from my D90
My old D7200 was very good for noise on astro shots - I've not tried my D750 yet on astro
The D7200 would be a massive upgrade from a D90 - I went D90 to D7000 to D7100 to D7200 then D750. And the Tokina 11-16 is stellar on a D7200

@snerkler you just need to invert a layer mask and paint white onto the areas to bring back.

Don't use normal blend, as soon as you duplicate your layer change to soft light, then run high pass. That way you can see the areas affected in the greyed box. Always use small values and just duplicate the layer a couple more times if needed, adjusting opacity to suit viewing at 100%.

When you add a layer mask, do so holding alt at the same time. That inverts the mask (fills with black) and then pick a white brush (B then D and X to toggle to white foreground) and paint the areas you want to come back through. Good to remember white to reveal, black to conceal.

I was slightly disappointed with the noise on the D7200, wasn't as good as I thought it would be.

My old D7200 was very good for noise on astro shots - I've not tried my D750 yet on astro
The D7200 would be a massive upgrade from a D90 - I went D90 to D7000 to D7100 to D7200 then D750. And the Tokina 11-16 is stellar on a D7200
I'd be very surprised if you don't find the D750 quite a lot better

@snerkler you just need to invert a layer mask and paint white onto the areas to bring back.

Don't use normal blend, as soon as you duplicate your layer change to soft light, then run high pass. That way you can see the areas affected in the greyed box. Always use small values and just duplicate the layer a couple more times if needed, adjusting opacity to suit viewing at 100%.

When you add a layer mask, do so holding alt at the same time. That inverts the mask (fills with black) and then pick a white brush (B then D and X to toggle to white foreground) and paint the areas you want to come back through. Good to remember white to reveal, black to conceal.
Thanks for this, much appreciated :)

Where have you been? Move go ok?

Just haven't been posting here much. I've sort of gone off forums all together and started posting more in Facebook groups. Much easier to find like-minded photographers.

We're leaving Abu Dhabi on 23rd of June, couple months in the UK then make the move over to Thailand in August - have to say - I can't wait!

Just haven't been posting here much. I've sort of gone off forums all together and started posting more in Facebook groups. Much easier to find like-minded photographers.

We're leaving Abu Dhabi on 23rd of June, couple months in the UK then make the move over to Thailand in August - have to say - I can't wait!

I should have a nose really. Try to limit time with social media if I'm honest and use FB sporadically for family stuff.

Sounds like a fun time ahead though [emoji106]

Nikon at last returned my son's D750 with a new shutter. I haven't tested it yet, but the first thing I noticed is that they didn't return it with the original eypiece surround, a DK-21:

dk-21.jpg

but a DK-25:

dk-25.jpg

which obviously does even look right on the D750 :mad:. I guess it was my fault for not removing everything that wasn't firmly attached when I sent the camera to them!

Attachments

• dk-21.jpg
    dk-21.jpg
    29 KB · Views: 19
  • dk-25.jpg
    dk-25.jpg
    25.3 KB · Views: 21
  • dk-21.jpg
    dk-21.jpg
    21 KB · Views: 22
Nikon at last returned my son's D750 with a new shutter. I haven't tested it yet, but the first thing I noticed is that they didn't return it with the original eypiece surround, a DK-21:

View attachment 100961

but a DK-25:

View attachment 100960

which obviously does even look right on the D750 :mad:. I guess it was my fault for not removing everything that wasn't firmly attached when I sent the camera to them!
I would contact them and if needed send a photo showing it's the wrong on. I'm sure they could easily send a DK-21 through the post. I remember accidently swapping them on the d7100 and D7000, the swap worked fine on the D700 but it just fell off all the time on the d7100.

View attachment 100961

but a DK-25:

View attachment 100960

Doesn't fill you full of confidence does it when they can't even put the right eyepiece on :rolleyes:

The buggers had removed the piece of gaffer tape from my eye piece and didn't replace it. :LOL:

It appears I may have unfairly maligned Nikon :oops: :$.

My son says he lost the eyepiece from the D750 and replaced it with the one from his D5300. However, when I sold the D5300 for him, he told me that he had lost its eypiece :facepalm:.

I'm sure I would have noticed if the D750 had the wrong eyepiece when I sent it - maybe I'll have to blame my age :)

It appears I may have unfairly maligned Nikon :oops: :$.

My son says he lost the eyepiece from the D750 and replaced it with the one from his D5300. However, when I sold the D5300 for him, he told me that he had lost its eypiece :facepalm:.

I'm sure I would have noticed if the D750 had the wrong eyepiece when I sent it - maybe I'll have to blame my age :)
:ROFLMAO:

Do you have a year pass for the YWLP? It's just down the road from me, might consider getting one.
Yeah I do, but it runs out tomorrow. Been well worth the money for me, probably been around a dozen times in the last twelves months. First time I've been since they've changed the lemur enclosure, made a bit of a mess of it imo.

Back