Nikon D750 & D780

It's a bit like shooting fish in a barrel photographing 'characters' at an auction mart. Which is why I tend not to do it. But 100mm is a great length for it. I can understand the interest in the 105mm/f1.4. But why no VR at that price? Madness! Give me a 105/1.8 with VR and I'd take one if it has snappy focusing. (The 105 macro with VR is a dog in that department.)

These were shot using the Tokina 100mm macro I bought off here. (y)The first one is at ISO 8000.

n12Eqga6ZqeZn5YhDIIO-PfHv1BTuuZ8dcKY_xUJF2IGoIkaxXopPhlQO9jnfjM6RkUaP9bcVqSDSx1FxkwavVVHde1jW4uq4-HVhwRb4R-ezqtpDIWlpTTRj0GZECbyNRdwO4UqO7C-MAWgkdUAtet78hYfDosK-hripKzeITlEBZAKVS_YvhqWUnVlUuKYAupkXFFFmUCCt6mTUcvw9qnzTKnEJdZxIK6sUgzxOBK3EyG-F3x0W_x64gdZChTw7jNJhhmR7HA-GcTKtUwd1peYm2XAYjq74tXyeSOjALRAZqCiSpfzAlDKmdfYPD_JKj0yltySRO1frsj1ZLuJOiRVIrReVzhLg_ZrD5php09ooCZgw4UOeEJPRdXynHX0hgiO_CRc6LRZPnlWQUNi9er8t1HDJUc4c25valzz84_DiVjw0mv14dcMZswbLvu5kYi7_Re8ORxfDX_fBQCOErEwJTDdyT8Vb3sXSZI2Z7clEi9wS2ANFnmsX_HgdIgVmVoV1ZTYOxk20fUvf7P897eMvpsC5leuDtP17KGGtqL34g-Vlu8AX0wKT97hmwb4aWodhJAN7nqtOX2xeuLAW2mHT4OSrmhMwUOuWmCSWrl0qpbIY0nIlg=w900-h601-no

z0dFdl1ap3czaO9rsjFBWeYjnBps9e91ubqlmrVYWUy1J1ljiWDr9DQRQOBioa1NwU5DPtEgozXiTaY6gdAIgCfalYPDER3gqPssS22A5a6AvCGzLBpkzvIICrAUCmp_unBpBgJjBtUeJspPbaRAp75YUgOuTGllg0U1QoJFLhp8vfX3Br1sow-pQg6K3H78dWk3pGkdWNhinG_0H2BH6ywSpsSaOKTUqQFrSwUH8yTLFhKQhDP8VdwgyrBgKCeEJxV51wrreThUjGqeUf45jpY1m7YATcykNN1pbNs8iaqNMRQB6Vumf1KoMShapOvdv8rMmSWWBEG766JvslMt-0s9Y3nwBwdTnYYkM7YGcVvrwDVcVTUL32_y7AUztKiHrH1GGeUxVkIyaKwH_fnnc1FsvjBY3Vf5NH1_raZ2H3gUqe4yNL3Up0Re2Up5JemPPwBU2lWeuIgSn1wNMS4aK8Z1ULEDndgyNX_pvUI3H3zlsNoeG31DAAD8zcuQN4zcW1zJlllsBjzrnX9QhXTgKFugPShc27ixLWn3OrNjhH6zsJhsuGRKw5ISnXd81NJI0K-irOKNGvoVYU1v1_jj1i_DAWgNORcASXwDTkoZ2S-sJL3ezWID7w=w900-h601-no

ZTCU5KfCmohTbRpCQb1f7YmjDJ9QhIFApsxViKiaQLwZrdlHpau079YaD4Ql_Mz599Pi-X9rK-m7v2Y0sMQvcfLtrmRkK0hOJJisovUchkMnAm7o7You7Zs5iDD5HUH5j47OorL5_GE27gDitGFqWayT3wtAilGw0P11_OpKLrAhyIevXqUHqeQv7rYxuU0CX4dpa2gMSoqoC70w7Rt_5HjkO8yqZfhmSi6axoKWpEZ_anJ5E-eGCNaqESYKDFNtybRXktLoVRMm5Xq-W4ttiq8dx8sXJ3QPD-bu_gKc8X8msMnaYwI8--Gi9pBD1sReC0tUK65tSgNiekFI-25H_pSaJkduJAWKg1_sfz31O-V4eOlenqcBJXvYSkOtaz6fbqs0jdXMdYKepBF2AMz57Q77ZWOA2r7iBWFz453Rt5pGTawUbotFrgRXATVijJtqtCgyYZUgtcd8wl8BlCHJzztWFX4QLXEUD66EQHQJD21qm8ZRwuqRCo55fIsTM4bjOcu8Kfd-KbqMEvqDZg-AcobHkWx7Cs-cGEL7n3H7e6PzX8vbw5TCFnI21rkRCjYok_UcQY-tS7ycTjYBakkKD11BHOqk2fCIRyYos2P6sgit5NkVLpELnw=w900-h601-no
I have this lens although I use it as a macro lens it's a super sharp lens, af is pants though but it is sharp and people say better than nikkor 105.

Why have Nikon put VR on the new 24-70?
It's a universal lens so will be used for a variety of things, some of which VR would come in handy for. I'm only surmising though as to why they omitted VR from the 105mm, I don't know for sure. In and ideal world all lenses would have VR, or even better we'd have IBIS, but for lenses it's probably a weight/manufacturing cost issue.

Why have Nikon put VR on the new 24-70?

I think they've succumbed to plenty of punter pressure with that model, plus the new optics are no better so what else do you add to make it look like an upgrade? At 2.8 I can see a need on occasion but with faster lenses, and today's exceptionally good ISO capabilities, I still don't see a need below 200mm, but my hands are pretty steady

I have this lens although I use it as a macro lens it's a super sharp lens, af is pants though but it is sharp and people say better than nikkor 105.

At non-macro distances I find the af as good as any screw driven lens. I had the Nikon (VR ;)) macro and prefer the Tokina. I like the rendering it gives too. :)

It's a universal lens so will be used for a variety of things, some of which VR would come in handy for. I'm only surmising though as to why they omitted VR from the 105mm, I don't know for sure. In and ideal world all lenses would have VR, or even better we'd have IBIS, but for lenses it's probably a weight/manufacturing cost issue.

Could be a combination of weight and cost for the lack of VR. I had assumed VR was going to be a universal feature in this day and age. Canon put IS in a 35mm!

When all cameras are mirrorless and have ninety axis IBIS it'll be irrelevant. :D

Last edited:
At non-macro distances I find the af as good as any screw driven lens. I like the rendering it gives too. :)
I just tried mine, yes you are right, its fairly fast, What would I know anyway, its been on a D3200 for the past 3 to 4 years and that makes it a fully manual lens.
Its a new experience using it on the D750, saves me buying a new camera for macro, well this year anyway :)
The rendering/BG blur is very pleasing to my eye too as shown here, taken a week or so ago on the D750.

Holding on for life by Graham, on Flickr

For all you rich kids, MPB have a 105 in for £1550...

#justsayin'

Still £100 cheaper grey. Not that it matters, maybe next year when I've sold the kidney.

I don't think I can give the 85 up and so it will have to wait anyway. Pus for what I want it for, will be a little while away anyway.

Last edited:
A quick question for those in the know. I've set up the movie record button to change ISO, but each time I press the button the rear screen comes on which is annoying.
How do I disable the rear screen coming on when I press this, any ideas?

Hmm, that's an arse!
I either have the camera to my eye or am looking at the top screen when I change ISO. Until it was pointed out on here I wasn't aware the rear screen came on!.

A quick question for those in the know. I've set up the movie record button to change ISO, but each time I press the button the rear screen comes on which is annoying.
How do I disable the rear screen coming on when I press this, any ideas?

It bugged the hell out of me!
I now just use auto ISO,set parameters accordingly!

I either have the camera to my eye or am looking at the top screen when I change ISO. Until it was pointed out on here I wasn't aware the rear screen came on!.

That's how I tried it yesterday with the camera to my eye, it is quite disconcerting when the screen comes on.

It bugged the hell out of me!
I now just use auto ISO,set parameters accordingly!

Yeah, I guess that's once option - but the idea of using manual ISO does appeal.

Love these classic shots. Always meant to get down there to take something similar.

Thanks, Kris. The whole Jurassic coastline is awesome and there are many secluded beaches and coves worth exploring. We didn't have enough time in hand. I also wanted to shoot Durdle door in the golden hour but rain spoiled the whole plan. I managed to get some shots with and without the 10 stop ND filter before it started pouring. Have to go there again and find a place to stay closeby.

Two very nice shots Sir, well composed, nice water movement in #1, and spot on colour.(y)

George.
Many thanks, George. It is a lovely place to photograph. I have been planning this for years now and without a car it was difficult. I have to go back and shoot the golden hour and with the weather in this country, I don't know when I will be successful in getting what I want.:D

Ordered my D750 on Friday morning from Panamoz, turned up at 10.00am this morning :eek::D

Ordered mine Friday afternoon and it's still in Hong Kong, probably be boarding a flight tonight!

Perhaps a daft question but having got my D750 from Panamoz do I have to do anything for the warranty with them or do they just take it from your order reference and date of order automatically.

Perhaps a daft question but having got my D750 from Panamoz do I have to do anything for the warranty with them or do they just take it from your order reference and date of order automatically.

Just keep record of your order and order number. Your warranty starts from the day you take delivery of it

Last edited:
That's how I tried it yesterday with the camera to my eye, it is quite disconcerting when the screen comes on.

Yeah, I guess that's once option - but the idea of using manual ISO does appeal.
It's a PITA and I've no idea why Nikon haven't sorted it with a firmware update. You can make it slightly less annoying by changing the screen background to black (think it's the night setting or something) but as it's backlit it still dazzles you if you're in the dark.

Last edited:
So I thought I'd post a few pics. This is the first that I've put up on the forum in quite a while and the first with my D750, so be gentle :)

I was at Padley Gorge on one of those Go Digital courses, not sure if anyone remember but it was a Christmas prezzie. It was a good day, perhaps I didn't feel like I learned as much as I expected, but it was a good opportunity to get out.
So these were all taken as long exposures with ND filters to one degree or another, they were all with my Tamron 24-70 lens, not as wide as I would have liked because at 24mm the filter holder was just encroaching in the corners of the frame, so I had to zoom in a tad and step back....tricky when you are stood on a rock with water all around you!

Smoke on the Water
by Sibling Chris, on Flickr

Padley Gorge i

Padley Gorge ii

Padley Gorge iii

Padley Gorge iv

I purposefully made some these a little warm on the white balance in Lightroom.....I may not stick with that though

Last edited:
I've not been able to get out much recently so revisited and edited a photo from an old set from Owler Tor.

Very similar to a previous photo, with slightly different crop and different light.

DSC_3784-Edit4 by TDG-77, on Flickr

Last edited:
I've not been able to get out much recently so revisited and edited a photo from an old set from Owler Tor.

Very similar to a previous photo, with slightly different crop and different light.

Is that the sun, or a nuclear explosion? I think I'm depressed due to the miserable choices we have at the election. Pretty picture mind.

Is that the sun, or a nuclear explosion? I think I'm depressed due to the miserable choices we have at the election. Pretty picture mind.
Fortunately it was just the sun :LOL: That was with a 3 stop hard edge grad filter and underexposed foreground too :eek:

Thanks (y)

Last edited:

Yeah I just have mine on Auto for most the time as well

Back