Nikon D750 & D780

Another D750? What lenses you currently using?

Yup, another, no.4, tbf though I havent used one in almost 1 1/2 yrs. Been looking at hybrids for video of some sort as my D700 doesnt have it (although in terms of stills it delivers in pretty much every aspect).

Bought and cancelled the A7r2 as when I added up overall costs and AF limitations etc I thought F it and got another D750.

I love my Sigma 35 ART (favourite lens of all time after using most fast primes across all systems) and adapted (or native 35 FE) with low light AF issues dont excite me. I know on my Nikons this combo just delivers and is half the price.

Last edited:
You're not wrong, I do love my 35 ART, tempted to make the 85 my next lens.

Same here but whenever I buy an 85 (many times) I just dont get on with the longer FL, I just interact better with my subject at shorter FLs, 35-50. 85 is head shot stuff or I need to back up miles which I dont like as I disconnect. May as well go 135 for compression.

Same here but whenever I buy an 85 (many times) I just dont get on with the longer FL, I just interact better with my subject at shorter FLs, 35-50. 85 is head shot stuff or I need to back up miles which I dont like as I disconnect. May as well go 135 for compression.

See, my current 85 rarely leaves the camera!

See, my current 85 rarely leaves the camera!

Id definitely go for the ART then (if I were you). Looks amazing. Ill probably buy it and if it does something magical who knows, otherwise its a goner. I dont mind spending IF I use it, Im done with buying/keeping because of GAS.

Last edited:
Id definitely go for the ART then (if I were you). Looks amazing. Ill probably buy it and if it does something magical who knows, otherwise its a goner. I dont mind spending IF I use it, Im done with buying/keeping because of GAS.

I'm a bit more like that these days too.

The 85mm Art does look amazing, but the size, weight and cost puts me off. Once of the advantages of a prime for me is the relative lightweight, but the 85mm art's heavier than the 24-70mm f2.8. The 85mm f1.8G is probably the one I'll go for, especially as I rarely use primes.

On a different note, anyone else having issues uploading to flickr tonight?

The 85mm Art does look amazing, but the size, weight and cost puts me off. Once of the advantages of a prime for me is the relative lightweight, but the 85mm art's heavier than the 24-70mm f2.8. The 85mm f1.8G is probably the one I'll go for, especially as I rarely use primes.

I've never really gotten on with the 85 1.8g after owning 3 or 4, sometimes it produced great images but mostly I never liked the overall rendering, it was freaking sharp and technically excellent though. Id personally rather go for the old Sigma 85 which I found much nicer.

Last edited:
I've never really gotten on with the 85 1.8g after owning 3 or 4, sometimes it produced great images but mostly I never liked the overall rendering, it was freaking sharp and technically excellent though. Id personally rather go for the old Sigma 85 which I found much nicer.
I had issues with the old Sigma, tried 4 :eek: But then that was with my first D750, but it's still left me wary. I like the f1.8g tbh.

I had issues with the old Sigma, tried 4 :eek: But then that was with my first D750, but it's still left me wary. I like the f1.8g tbh.

Wasn't your 1st d750s AF all over the place though?

The ex dg sigma primes are dodgy with qc but once you get a good one its awesome. Worth the effort.

Wasn't your 1st d750s AF all over the place though?

The ex dg sigma primes are dodgy with qc but once you get a good one its awesome. Worth the effort.
Sure was. I agree, I loved the rendering of the Sigma, just couldn't trust it. It's because of this chuffin lens I got a warning from Amazon about returning items so if I try another one it'll have to be from somewhere else ;)

Sure was. I agree, I loved the rendering of the Sigma, just couldn't trust it. It's because of this chuffin lens I got a warning from Amazon about returning items so if I try another one it'll have to be from somewhere else ;)

Just buy used. Get someone to take test shots, If it's under 10 ma either way it's likely to be fine on your body.

Just buy used. Get someone to take test shots, If it's under 10 ma either way it's likely to be fine on your body.
Tbh I would buy used now anyway, and you get 14 days return period if it doesn't play nice ;)

I've not been able to upload to Flickr tonight

Last edited:
Not had a go at macro for a long time so had a dabble yesterday. Forgot what a PITA it is trying to shoot insects flitting about all over the place. Not the best macro I've ever done, but I'm out of practice :oops: :$

DSC_3836-Edit
by TDG-77, on Flickr

DSC_3857-Edit
by TDG-77, on Flickr

DSC_3857-Edit crop
by TDG-77, on Flickr

DSC_3756-Edit
by TDG-77, on Flickr
As an avid Macro photographer I really like these shots, agree they are a PITA but hey ho.I like the last Bee shot but looks a bit noisy/too much sharpening on it.
What lens did you use ?

Last edited:
Those macros look pretty impressive to me, Toby!

As an avid Macro photographer I really like these shots, agree they are a PITA but hey ho.I like the last Bee shot but looks a bit noisy/too much sharpening on it.
What lens did you use ?
Thanks. I find that TP seems to oversharpen my images, what does it look like on Flickr? It's the Sigma 105mm f2.8 OS HSM macro.

Heres some I took today with the Tokina 100mm BBF and "M" mode as most times anyway.

Dragonfly-7 by Graham, on Flickr

Southern Emerald Damselfly by Graham, on Flickr
Skipper-2 by Graham, on Flickr
First one is class.

what does it look like on Flickr? It's the Sigma 105mm f2.8 OS HSM macro.
On Flickr to me they still look over sharpened / noisy, other than that they are great image.

First one is class.

Cheers, normally for these I would use my crop camera with some tubes on but its dying so the D750 get to see the bugs

Not had a go at macro for a long time so had a dabble yesterday. Forgot what a PITA it is trying to shoot insects flitting about all over the place. Not the best macro I've ever done, but I'm out of practice

DSC_

I don't know much about insect but is that a male? I think male are said to have a blond moustache sort of thing???

really nice @snerkler some solid shots there.

Are you using anything else on the lens for those shots. I have a 105 macro and cant see me getting close enough to the subject for some of those images, especially the last one.
Thanks. Just the macro lens but the close up is heavily cropped.
Fantastic Snerks, amazing how far your photography has come in every genre since I first 'met' you.
Thanks, much appreciated.

I don't know much about insect but is that a male? I think male are said to have a blond moustache sort of thing???
No idea lol.

On Flickr to me they still look over sharpened / noisy, other than that they are great image.
Tried to fix it then best I can, how's it look now? I think it's always going to be noisy as it's a heavy crop.

Are you finding the results better Graham using the D750 for macro?
tbh I think its about the same even though I can use AF with this lens I am still 50/50 on focus due to my own body movement (age) lol but I am ennjoying it all the same.
As for lugging this camera about, its much heavier than the D3200 and when out for about 2 hours at a time its very noticeable.
Thanks for asking.

Back