Nikon D750 & D780

I can't see any problems but I don't know what I'm looking for.

I do use it most weeks so am really going to miss it and didn't know whether to send it tomorrow and hope it's back or wait until afterwards.

Now I know it's affected it's making me nervous in case it suddenly breaks!

Problem start with getting an error message ERR on the top plate and the camera freeze, occasionally then more and more often. So far my camera has done it once ever so i'm not bother to send it just now. But i will when i don't need it. If you don't get ERR and freeze i'm sure it can wait a few weeks.

Problem start with getting an error message ERR on the top plate and the camera freeze, occasionally then more and more often. So far my camera has done it once ever so i'm not bother to send it just now. But i will when i don't need it. If you don't get ERR and freeze i'm sure it can wait a few weeks.
This isn't actually why Nikon are recalling them, but it does seem very coincidental that there are so many failure and that the err message tends to lead to shutter failure. The actual reason for the recall is "shading occurring in some images", but I personally think that this is just the start of the shutter failure sequence.

Hi guys,

Sorry if this has been asked before (I'm sure it has) but has anyone sent theirs back for the shutter recall and if so how long was it away?

I've just checked mine and it's affected but I've been asked to photograph a friends daughters birthday party in 3.5 weeks and so I need it back by then.
I told Nikon I needed it back quickly as had an upcoming event before I sent it in. They marked it as urgent and it was turned around in under a week. Can't say the same will happen every time but worth ringing and speaking to someone.

I do use it most weeks so am really going to miss it and didn't know whether to send it tomorrow and hope it's back or wait until afterwards.

Which of the two recalls is it affected by? (Note there are only two recalls, there have been extensions to the serial numbers affected rather than new problem recalls).

Shutter Shading:

https://www.nikonimgsupport.com/eu/BV_article?articleNo=000006489&sitecode=en_GB&ctry=GB&lang=en_GB

Flare:

https://www.nikonimgsupport.com/eu/BV_article?articleNo=000006463&sitecode=en_GB&ctry=GB&lang=en_GB

If it's shutter shading I gather the shutter errors occur infrequently but the frequency increases until it fails. Mine is affected by the shutter shading recall. So far I've had one error about 6 months ago but nothing since then.

This isn't actually why Nikon are recalling them, but it does seem very coincidental that there are so many failure and that the err message tends to lead to shutter failure. The actual reason for the recall is "shading occurring in some images", but I personally think that this is just the start of the shutter failure sequence.
I've heard a few mention they have had the err code (the manual just says camera malfunction-release the shutter and consult Nikon if problem persists) and that their shutter did fail but I can't remember anyone mentioning experiencing or showing examples of the shutter causing shading of the image.

I've heard a few mention they have had the err code (the manual just says camera malfunction-release the shutter and consult Nikon if problem persists) and that their shutter did fail but I can't remember anyone mentioning experiencing or showing examples of the shutter causing shading of the image.
Me neither but this is what Nikon are claiming.

It's a lottery. I've had stuff back within a week but up to 5 weeks, depends how busy they are.

Mine is due to go back too after the latest recall extension but I have never seen any sign of a problem so I'm just using away at it and will get it sent in in December maybe. Using it far to much at the minute, shooting cyclocross this weekend and doing a Thomas Heaton workshop the following one.

How long after they acknowledge your camera is affected and issue a repair number before they call it in (send you the labels etc)?

After posting the picture of my shutter failing yesterday after months of getting the err msg I went through the Nikon EU website for the recall and was advised that it will be 2-3 weeks before getting the return labels. This might be just standard blurb that they put on to cover themselves though.

Quick question on the 70-200 2.8e.

The local camera shop near me still has a used one for sale. I went and tried it this morning for size and weight and just a quick question on the zoom ring.

On this particular example the zoom ring is really easy to turn - not in a bad way, its no loose or anything, you can just turn it easily with one finger with little resistance and its got a solid clunk when it reaches either end of the zoom.. Just seeing if this kind of easy turning is normal? I know this may sound odd, but its defiantly got a looser feel to it that my 70-200 F4 and my previous zooms (but these were 24-120, 24-85, 24-70 so guessing they needed a lot more resistance to stay put!). It actually makes it pretty easy to zoom no matter what way the lens is facing!

I'm probably just over thinking it, but just thought I would put my mind at rest before spending the ££££££!!

Last edited:

The local camera shop near me still has a used one for sale. I went and tried it this morning for size and weight and just a quick question on the zoom ring.

On this particular example the zoom ring is really easy to turn - not in a bad way, its no loose or anything, you can just turn it easily with one finger with little resistance and its got a solid clunk when it reaches either end of the zoom.. Just seeing if this kind of easy turning is normal? I know this may sound odd, but its defiantly got a looser feel to it that my 70-200 F4 and my previous zooms (but these were 24-120, 24-85, 24-70 so guessing they needed a lot more resistance to stay put!). It actually makes it pretty easy to zoom no matter what way the lens is facing!

I'm probably just over thinking it, but just thought I would put my mind at rest before spending the ££££££!!

It's something that I haven't noticed either way on mine to be honest. I had it with me in the van yesterday but not today. I can compare it tonight against my 16-35 and 24-120.

It's something that I haven't noticed either way on mine to be honest. I had it with me in the van yesterday but not today. I can compare it tonight against my 16-35 and 24-120.

Might just be me being paranoid. The focus ring is more damped. The focus ring just moves quite easily. Just not something I'm used too. The F4 just seems a bit more damped.

Maybe I should go try a copy if local jessops have one to put mind at rest.

Last edited:
After posting the picture of my shutter failing yesterday after months of getting the err msg I went through the Nikon EU website for the recall and was advised that it will be 2-3 weeks before getting the return labels. This might be just standard blurb that they put on to cover themselves though.

Thanks, that’s what I got on 25th August but still no word from Nikon.

Edit. Gave them a ring and apparently they have been busy! Will be sorted in next few days.

Last edited:
I'm weighing up whether to get the 2.8 or stick with my F4.

I know which one I should get, especially if I start to do some indoor events. But the sheer size and weight compared to the F4 is a little off putting!

Get the 2.8. One stop is the difference between ISO 6400 and 12800

It's a huge advantage..

Funny how you pick up on a couple of shots after the first picks a few days afterwards. And the reason I like these two is purely down to the rendition, I do love the 85 'look'. Really must get a 105 next year. When the little lady is the right age/size I'm going to hire the bokeh daddy for a few days, would love to have a play with the 200 f/2.

36968798523_80b12bf12b_b.jpg

And we were talking about getting too close with wide apertures the other day. Here's a classic where the girls were messing around whilst I was loading the car. No time to perfect and the light had pretty much gone, but very slight differing axis and big sis is slightly out of the focus range at f/1.6. A bit of selective sharpening has just about salvaged it, just..

37590805206_1f3e6cb74b_b.jpg

Last edited:

I've not tried the new 70-200mm but the 24-70mm f2.8 always feels loose to me, and I asked the same question when I first got one of those (I've tried a few now and they're all the same). Maybe they've made the new 70-200mm the same. It was something that I never liked though.

Funny how you pick up on a couple of shots after the first picks a few days afterwards. And the reason I like these two is purely down to the rendition, I do love the 85 'look'. Really must get a 105 next year. When the little lady is the right age/size I'm going to hire the bokeh daddy for a few days, would love to have a play with the 200 f/2.

And we were talking about getting too close with wide apertures the other day. Here's a classic where the girls were messing around whilst I was loading the car. No time to perfect and the light had pretty much gone, but very slight differing axis and big sis is slightly out of the focus range at f/1.6. A bit of selective sharpening has just about salvaged it, just..

Love the rendering on the first. It's the f1.4 your 85mm isn't it? (My memory sucks big time ;))

Last edited:

So nice mate, you really do have that processing cracked (y)

There was a 105 for sale on one of the FB groups a couple of days ago for a grand. Tempting but I resisted - wasn’t sure on your garage accommodation :LOL:

I've not tried the new 70-200mm but the 24-70mm f2.8 always feels loose to me, and I asked the same question when I first got one of those (I've tried a few now and they're all the same). Maybe they've made the new 70-200mm the same. It was something that I never liked though.

Love the rendering on the first. It's the f1.4 your 85mm isn't it? (My memory sucks big time ;))

I'm going to check a display one at Jessops and if it feels the same I'm going to get it!

I'm going to check a display one at Jessops and if it feels the same I'm going to get it!
Nice, will look forward to seeing your shots with it. I'd like one but can't warrant or afford the cost over my VRII.

So nice mate, you really do have that processing cracked (y)

There was a 105 for sale on one of the FB groups a couple of days ago for a grand. Tempting but I resisted - wasn’t sure on your garage accommodation :LOL:

Not so sure about that, there's not really much done to them. Even added some of the marmite grain! Flat lighting always seems much easier to edit from one of the bases I tend to work from. An odd session this, as there really was no light and just felt like going through the motions, strangely, a few came out ok.

Probably you best not point me in the direction of those FB pages, I'm already wondering why she wants me to clean the garage out next week.

Last edited:
Nice, will look forward to seeing your shots with it. I'd like one but can't warrant or afford the cost over my VRII.

Will find out if purchasing tomorrow. The zoom almost felt like it wasn't actually moving anything inside. But might just be how it is!

So looking at the used 70-200 again and noticed the rear element has a bit of dust and a smudge. I want to just give it a quick wipe over before I buy it to check it is just a smudge. Being reccessed makes it slightly more difficult than the front element so is it just a case of rocket blower and lens pen?

So looking at the used 70-200 again and noticed the rear element has a bit of dust and a smudge. I want to just give it a quick wipe over before I buy it to check it is just a smudge. Being reccessed makes it slightly more difficult than the front element so is it just a case of rocket blower and lens pen?
If it's on the outside yes. If there's dust on the inside of the rear element then buy with caution, I've had shops reduce their offer on trade in due to 'flecks' of dust on the inside of the rear element.

If it's on the outside yes. If there's dust on the inside of the rear element then buy with caution, I've had shops reduce their offer on trade in due to 'flecks' of dust on the inside of the rear element.

Thats why I want to give it a quick clean just to make sure its all outside not inside!

All looks outside and the smudge is definantly on the outside but will double check before purchase.

Hi

The battery on my D750 drains when the camera is not in use for a weeks.

I don't have the same problem on my d90, any one have a similar issues or is there something in settings that is draining the battery.

It is a Nikon battery and was not on the recent recall list.

The d90 has been sat in a bag for over 6 months and the battery is still nearly at full.

Thank you

I visited Hawes in the scenic Yorkshire Dales today. Wherever I go I seem to find something picturesque...

_7513145.jpg

I didn't go far off the beaten path. In fact I didn't leave it. I don't have the patience for landscape photography. Waiting for better light bores me to tears. :coat:

_7506036.jpg

_7506043.jpg

Bit of spit 'n' polish should do it. (y)

Hi

The battery on my D750 drains when the camera is not in use for a weeks.

I don't have the same problem on my d90, any one have a similar issues or is there something in settings that is draining the battery.

It is a Nikon battery and was not on the recent recall list.

The d90 has been sat in a bag for over 6 months and the battery is still nearly at full.

Thank you
Never noticed my batteries drain in the D750 when not in use, but probably not gone more than 2 weeks without using it.

Never noticed my batteries drain in the D750 when not in use, but probably not gone more than 2 weeks without using it.

Going to charge one and put it on the side for a week or so and the check if it has drained.

Thank you

Going to charge one and put it on the side for a week or so and the check if it has drained.

Thank you
I've had batteries sat in a drawer for months and still retain pretty much all their charge so if yours lose noticeable charge after your week trial it would obviously suggest a battery fault.

I've had batteries sat in a drawer for months and still retain pretty much all their charge so if yours lose noticeable charge after your week trial it would obviously suggest a battery fault.

I’d agree with that. Amazes me how good the D750 batteries are. Only ones better are the Df’s, I can shoot for weeks on one battery.

I’d agree with that. Amazes me how good the D750 batteries are. Only ones better are the Df’s, I can shoot for weeks on one battery.

Further agree! I have somehow managed to get a total of 5 batteries and they all hold charge. Overkill though so going to sell one off!

I've got 4 batteries so a back up for each body. 3 are Nikon, one is a EXPRO and they all last forever. I usually charge when they get down to 30%.

Thank you for the comments, so looks like an issue with either the body or the battery. I do also have an expro one so will see if that ones drains in the body to rule out issue with the body.

Further agree! I have somehow managed to get a total of 5 batteries and they all hold charge. Overkill though so going to sell one off!
Please give me a shout when you do decide to sell one. Thank you

Back