Nikon D750 Users & Technical Advice Thread

Thanks guys. Will be ordering one today.

Does anyone else find it strange that there's no hot shoe cover?

Yes 99p for 4 I've order some just thought it was odd that my D3100 but not a more expensive body.

Been out over the weekend and had a model evening at the club last night so I will upload a few shots later on

Ok so here a few shots from the weekend and last night

Looked at these on my phone and laptop and all of them look underexposed.

On the portraits the lighting could really do with evening up to avoid the harsh (unflattering) shadows. You could pick up a cheap flash or use a reflector for next to nothing.

Looked at these on my phone and laptop and all of them look underexposed.

On the portraits the lighting could really do with evening up to avoid the harsh (unflattering) shadows. You could pick up a cheap flash or use a reflector for next to nothing.

Thanks for the feedback much appreicated

I think I forgot to reset the exposure on the camera from the previous time I tend to under expose.

I haven't edtied any of the above just exported them from lightroom

The portraits were taken at a club studio night so I was using studio lights and triggers. I'm not really up on studio work to be honest its not something I good at as I'm quite shy and find it difficult to interact with the models

Thanks for the feedback much appreicated

I think I forgot to reset the exposure on the camera from the previous time I tend to under expose.

I haven't edtied any of the above just exported them from lightroom

The portraits were taken at a club studio night so I was using studio lights and triggers. I'm not really up on studio work to be honest its not something I good at as I'm quite shy and find it difficult to interact with the models

I'm exactly the same Mark. I had a group shoot recently with a couple of models and found it all very awkward. I think I'd have been OK if it was just me, but watching people "take turns" made it feel very odd.

The one thing I would say is it's amazing how quickly you improve your lighting technique with the smallest amount of practice. Literally ten minutes messing with a light and I'm like "argh so that's how it works"!

I'm exactly the same Mark. I had a group shoot recently with a couple of models and found it all very awkward. I think I'd have been OK if it was just me, but watching people "take turns" made it feel very odd.

The one thing I would say is it's amazing how quickly you improve your lighting technique with the smallest amount of practice. Literally ten minutes messing with a light and I'm like "argh so that's how it works"!

The biggest problem I had last night was people not waiting their turn and using on camera flash. They only do it once a year I would like to be able to learn more about lightinig and studio work with someone who knows what theyre doing

Edit is a lot better and could even possibly come up a little more in the shadows??? Also, looked at the pics in the Flickr version and that 24-120mm lens seems to perform well.

Thanks Swanseajack yes I'm really impressed with the 24-120 its a nice lens to use.

I will have another play around with the imiages in LR when I get a bit of spare time.

I've reset the exposure to be 0 and will try and get out with the camera agian to see what a diifferance it makes I was under exposing by 0.7 which I think is 2 stops

I've reset the exposure to be 0 and will try and get out with the camera agian to see what a diifferance it makes I was under exposing by 0.7 which I think is 2 stops

-0.7ev is 0.7 of a stop - or 2/3rds of a stop if you want to look at it that way.

Mark, why not leave the meter alone, when shooting outside, maybe using aperture mode, the camera will choose the shutter speed, check the histogram and work from there. They look far more than 2/3rds of a stop underexposed to me. My mate has a D600 and the metering is very near, so I guess the D750 definitely will be.
As regards the club portraits, I too felt awkward at first, but it's a nice learning curve, at our club our photographer sets up the lights meters and gives out the exposure, we set our cameras, obviously in manual mode, then we shoot, check the image and adjust, our photographer is very helpful especially to all new photographers, he is going to run some lighting workshops too soon. Maybe you might enjoy doing a course, or get a few together from your club and help each other, you will love it

Ive always had GGS and like people say these are the new name. No problem at all..

Mark, why not leave the meter alone, when shooting outside, maybe using aperture mode, the camera will choose the shutter speed, check the histogram and work from there. They look far more than 2/3rds of a stop underexposed to me. My mate has a D600 and the metering is very near, so I guess the D750 definitely will be.
As regards the club portraits, I too felt awkward at first, but it's a nice learning curve, at our club our photographer sets up the lights meters and gives out the exposure, we set our cameras, obviously in manual mode, then we shoot, check the image and adjust, our photographer is very helpful especially to all new photographers, he is going to run some lighting workshops too soon. Maybe you might enjoy doing a course, or get a few together from your club and help each other, you will love it

Hi Jan

I think thats what I'm going to do I have recently started using aperture mode more.

We had 3 studio set ups last night and the one guy is very helpful he occasionally does bits of studio sessions that I want to attend if other commitments allow

That's nice,hope you get the opportunity, that is the thing we are all busy, grabbing time is the hardest part. How things work for you.

Recently back from the TP Iceland trip with the D750. Since I'm not one for spending ages tweaking each and every shot, I always shoot Large, Fine JPEGs and have to say that I'm very impressed with the results I'm seeing at A4, printing with NO PP at all - not even extra sharpening. I'll probably do a little bit in PSE to the A3+ if they need it but will do at least one as SOOC.

The metering has coped extremely well with the very high contrast over there, retaining detail in both the black cliffs and sand as well as the snow and sea spray which is almost pure white. WB is also pretty much spot on - the blue ice in the glaciers really is that blue as are the shadows on the snow.

Enough megapixels to allow reasonably heavy cropping and still allow big prints but not so many as to make file transfers a PITA! (Used to have a D800...) Very comfortable to hold and on an Op-Tech neoprene strap with a 24-120, it doesn't give me neck ache. Not sure how many shots per charge I was getting - rather than risk missing a shot, I just made sure I changed to a fully charged one every morning and charged the used one. 400+ shots on one day (in sub zero temperatures) and it was still reporting full - not even a properly "run in" battery either.

Mine is apparently one of the ones that needs sending back but I haven't seen any unusual flaring even in sunset shots (I think it's even given some a little flair that my recent photography may have been lacking!!!) Just need to figure out a few features I might want to use but that's my own fault for leaving the manual at home and not having it on the netbook.

Seems you enjoyed your trip @Nod, be nice to see some photos it looks an amazing place.

I found the D750 JPEG's a little flat after the XT1 so decided to shoot in RAW only. Although these were in November /December so not the best light. Should have my replacement camera early next week.

The light there was either flat or bright and the contrast there is so high that even the relatively flat light has given plenty of punch to the prints. Didn't take the X-T1 as well due to baggage limitations (couldn't persuade Mrs Nod to dedicate her hand baggage allowance to camera gear!) and haven't yet done a direct head to head comparison here. Really enjoyed using the D750 - the X-T1's dials may have been a little too fiddly to use in the cold up there, the buttons and wheels on the D750 were enough to cope with through gloves. I had used the camera just enough before we went to know that the meter was trustworthy so stayed in P mode most of the time so I only needed to twiddle one wheel and that was possible with big gloves on. We were reasonably close to the car most of the time so I didn't need to carry the full kit all the time, had we been further away from it more, the X-T1 would probably have been my weapon of choice.

Last edited:
jpeg only for me as well. Been playing with group af and will give ita huge test with peregrines in flight soon. Will report back with conclusions.

You guys who using JPEG which picture setting as I think there different options??

Our local Mule ........ everyone must have one

shaking the flees off or are they flies?

Mule_2.jpg

Had my new D750 this week after my previous one went back due to debris in VF.

Anyway, I am waiting for the Sigma 150-600mm contemporary to hit the shelves to compare against the Tamron version before purchasing. As I sold my 300mm f4 to get something a little longer I purchased a Sigma 70-300mm APO from Wex whilst I wait for the Sigma 150-600mm, the lens also has 1:2 macro mode. For £44.00 it's not bad lens to mess around with and something light for me.

I know they aern't the best composition's and not looking for crit and I know I have under exposed a bit, but for £44, I am pleasantly suprised. Also SOOC JPEG's with minor crops, to see how they come out, as I was a little dissapointed with them compared to Fuji when I swapped over last year.

20150401-DSC_0184 by swanseajack2013, on Flickr

New D750 31.03.2015 089 by swanseajack2013, on Flickr

New D750 31.03.2015 084 by swanseajack2013, on Flickr

Last edited:
Afternoon all, on my D300s I can change the setting on the command dial to scroll through my photographs. Can't see to find this in the menu. If anyone can shed light on this I'd appreciate it.....

I know I can look at the user manual, but it's a hefty beast :)

Cheers.

ISO 4500 - jpeg straight out of camera

ISO4500.jpg

ISO800 jpeg

ISO800.jpg

It's a good snap shot camera

Last edited:
Back