Nikon D750 vs D7200

Name
Lara
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi! I'm new here and I hope that somebody could help me choose a camera. In the past I have a film Canon A1, then 450D and a few weeks ago I borrowed Nikon D7100. I was shooting with 17-50mm, 24-70mm and 55-300mm lenses. I like to shoot my kids, nature and street. I like photos in low light. I also like sharp photos and great bokeh of portrait shooting. Now I'm buying a new camera, but I'm a little confused after all I read on internet.
I would like to buy D750 and 50mm 1.4 or1.8 g or 85mm 1.8 g lens first because of their advantages of fast focusing, uses in low light and blurred background. And I know that prime lenses force you to discovering new view of photography. You must move yourself to get best shots.
I don't know if this is the right decision or it will be more reasonably to get D7200 whit that lenses (instead of 50mm 35mm 1.8 g). I'm buying for several years not for year or two (like mobile phones). I will buy other lenses when I'll need them but it seems that is better to know one lens first and then buying new. Post processing isn't a problem because I'm grafic designer and photoshop is my daily use.
I will appriciate all your advices.

Welcome Lara, the D750 will perform better in low light than the D7200 ... I love my D7200 but that's for added reach in shooting wildlife :)

Welcome to the forum Lara! :)

Between your choices of camera body, the Nikon D750 is a FX (full frame) camera compare to the D7200 which is a DX (crop sensor). As stated you like photos in low light, the FX would perform much better in high ISO (low light) :)

For the type of photography you want to do the D750 is better. The only advantage the D7200 has is extra reach for wildlife etc, but as your main preference is portrait and blurred backgrounds full frame will be better. Also as mentioned the D750 is significantly better in low light/high ISO.

Thanks all for reply. I read almost all posts from D7200 and D750 and both of them have advantages. Some pics posted there are great. But it seems D750 would be better for my shots.
What about lenses? Can I shoot nature and people with only one prime for start? Which will be better first, 35mm, 50mm or 85mm? And what's the difference about Nikon 50mm 1.4g or 1.8g? Is that true that 1.8g is sharper than 1.4g? Is bokeh with 1.4g visibly better than with 1.8g?

Thanks all for reply. I read almost all posts from D7200 and D750 and both of them have advantages. Some pics posted there are great. But it seems D750 would be better for my shots.
What about lenses? Can I shoot nature and people with only one prime for start? Which will be better first, 35mm, 50mm or 85mm? And what's the difference about Nikon 50mm 1.4g or 1.8g? Is that true that 1.8g is sharper than 1.4g? Is bokeh with 1.4g visibly better than with 1.8g?
You can shoot nature with any lens if you can get close enough ;) Generally for wildlife you want telephoto. 300mm can be enough, but for birds (and IMO wildlife in general) 600mm is better.

For portraits 85mm is often considered the ideal focal length, although some prefer 105mm or 135mm. Shorter focal lengths can distort facial features due to the angle of view as you have to get in closer to the subject to fill the frame the same. However, if you're shooting in your own home for example and space is limited 85mm may be too long and in which case you may prefer 50mm or 35mm.

As for f1.4 vs 1.8 there's a few examples where the f1.8 is considered sharper, but a lot of people just seem to care about ultimate sharpness and forget to think about how images are rendered. If I had the money I'd buy the 58mm f1.4 as I LOVE the way it renders images, but it's one of the softness lenses Nikon makes. Also, if you are concerned about sharpness and considering f1.4 vs f1.8 if you stop the f1.4 down to f1.8 it will already be sharpening up, and if you prefer the bokeh of the f1.4 it's win win. Just food for thought ;) Unfortunately I can only afford f1.8s ;)

Take from this what you will
http://www.the-digital-picture.com/...meraComp=614&SampleComp=0&FLIComp=0&APIComp=0

Last edited:
For a comparison of the two Nikon 50mm G lenses you might want to have a read here. It's a really nice site in general and I like his books too - I have his On Camera and Off Camera flash books. He replies to a lot of questions directly on his blog too which is nice.

I've had the 50mm f/1.8D (on cropped and full frame cameras) and the 50mm f/1.8G on full frame only. I think the G was a little bit sharper and had smoother bokeh but I was happy with both. Don't rule out the Sigma ART 50mm and 35mm too - they're a bit pricier but if you get a good copy they're meant to be great. They're on my shopping list anyway!

Thanks for reply! One mor question.. If I choose crop D7200 because it's much cheaper, can this camera also get me good results with that fixed lenses?
or I should be prepared on noisier photos in low light?

Thanks for reply! One mor question.. If I choose crop D7200 because it's much cheaper, can this camera also get me good results with that fixed lenses?
Any camera can get you good results laura. It all depends on how good a photographer you are. Noise will be determined by how high you're talking with regards to ISO. On the posts you've made it's impossible to give you an answer on that, but the D7200 is a great camera and perfectly capable in the right hands.

If you do go for the D7200 just remember the crop factor of 1.5x on the lenses you're looking at.

In my experience don't go for a camera just because it's cheaper, if it's not the one you really want you'll never be truly happy with it and always be wanting the other. IMO you are then better going for the camera that you really want 2nd hand, or even grey from places like Panamoz. They offer a 3 year warranty and I know that a lot of people who have used them and EVERY one of the them can't fault the service, particularly with warranty issues.

All that being said, if you do choose the D7200 it is an excellent camera and more than capable of fantastic results. You will see less noise in higher ISO with the D750 (probably really start noticing it above 3200), and the D750 will give you more shallow depth of field (background blur). I'm not going to confuse matters by getting into the whole focal length/subject to camera distance arguement.

A couple of other things to mention is that for me the D750 has a considerably nicer grip, and it has a tilt screen which comes in very handy from time to time.

Get the gears you really want that's within your budget, if it means you need to wait for a couple of months to save, just wait and have patient. It will save you from buy and sell in the future and you'll sleep well when you know you got the camera body and lens that you really want :D

Don't forget you can set the D750 to take DX images so you can get the extra reach anyway

Don't forget you can set the D750 to take DX images so you can get the extra reach anyway
At a loss of many pixels. DX mode is only 10MP, and is no different to cropping in post and you can crop the D7200 by the same amount and get even further reach (y)

I think I shouldn't go wrong with D750 and Nikon 50mm 1.4. Also I still have to learn a lot that my photos will become better.
Is there on the web some tutorial or course about improvement of photo skills? Or maybe some good books about that?

YouTube. And then YouTube some more. Then look on Flickr or 500px and stufy the kind of shots you like. Look at where the light is coming from and how the photographer used it to make the shot. Then YouTube a bit more.

Then shoot and look at your shots and how the light is affecting the shot. Understanding what settings do what to your photo is key.

I think I shouldn't go wrong with D750 and Nikon 50mm 1.4. Also I still have to learn a lot that my photos will become better.
Is there on the web some tutorial or course about improvement of photo skills? Or maybe some good books about that?

Here's some good links for guides into photography for those wanting to learn the basics.

Understanding ISO, Shutter Speed and Aperture - A Beginner's Guide

Understanding ISO - A Beginner's Guide

Understanding Aperture - A Beginner's Guide

Understanding Shutter Speed - A Beginner's Guide

Understanding Metering and Metering Modes

Cambridge in Colour - Photography Tutorials & Learning Community

Understanding Digital Camera Histograms: Tones and Contrast

Understanding Digital Camera Histograms: Luminosity and Color

Understanding Camera Metering and Exposure

Making the Most of Natural Light in Photography

The Basics of Light for Photography - Pinkbike

Ultimate Exposure Computer

Also, this book is good. Goes over a lot of the stuff from the links above, but nice to have as reference. I got it for a tenner off amazon so worth looking to see if it comes up on offer.

Understanding Exposure, 3rd Edition: How to Shoot Great Photographs with Any Camera: Amazon.co.uk: Bryan Peterson: Books

For a comparison of the two Nikon 50mm G lenses you might want to have a read here. It's a really nice site in general and I like his books too - I have his On Camera and Off Camera flash books. He replies to a lot of questions directly on his blog too which is nice.

I've had the 50mm f/1.8D (on cropped and full frame cameras) and the 50mm f/1.8G on full frame only. I think the G was a little bit sharper and had smoother bokeh but I was happy with both. Don't rule out the Sigma ART 50mm and 35mm too - they're a bit pricier but if you get a good copy they're meant to be great. They're on my shopping list anyway!

The sigmas are great but pricey. I have the 50 f1.8g/sigma f1.4 art (35 and 50)

At a loss of many pixels. DX mode is only 10MP, and is no different to cropping in post and you can crop the D7200 by the same amount and get even further reach (y)
I did wonder how much difference it would make and you have answered that thank you.

I recently went from d7100 to the d750. I personally found the low light shooting difference amazing.
I'm so glad I took the jump to the d750.
On the wildlife side what sort of thing are you looking at capturing, if you looking at flowers and close up subjects then the dx I would say isn't going to matter as much for the reach.

I did wonder how much difference it would make and you have answered that thank you.

I recently went from d7100 to the d750. I personally found the low light shooting difference amazing.
I'm so glad I took the jump to the d750.
On the wildlife side what sort of thing are you looking at capturing, if you looking at flowers and close up subjects then the dx I would say isn't going to matter as much for the reach.
I assume the last bit was directed at the op and not me ? ;) But no, a macro lens is good for that ;)

Back