Nikon D750 & D780

I spent last Thursday at a couple of nature reserves on the Somerset levels. It was a very hot and bright day so managing blown out white feathers and heat haze was a constant challenge. All images were shot with my D780/150-600C combination using manual with auto-ISO. Shutter speed, aperture and exposure compensation were adjusted to suit the conditions and target.
DSC_3146.jpg
DSC_3153.jpg
DSC_3165.jpg
DSC_3293.jpg
DSC_3380.jpg
DSC_3588.jpg

agree about it being to hot yesterday, I was knackered coming back from WWT and it was way to bright, even the ducks were hiding in the shade.

In another thread there was a mention of the D750 recall which I'd entirely forgotten about and just checked which confirmed it is part of the recall. If I've not spotted anything with it, should I bother with the recall?

In another thread there was a mention of the D750 recall which I'd entirely forgotten about and just checked which confirmed it is part of the recall. If I've not spotted anything with it, should I bother with the recall?
I did not have any issues on my one but did send it to Nikon just to be on the safe side.

It's a free new shutter, why wouldn't you bother?

Another fine day in the South West with the River Severn at high tide. You can see the tidal range if you compare it the the picture here:

Bridge High Tide 24.JPG

Another great image, Andrew. People don't really appreciate either the tidal range or speed with which it builds up. I'm not sure I would want to be stood where those anglers are either :oops: :$

Thanks Steve. The tide came up faster than anywhere else I had seen. I think that the water must come up to about the same level every day as the angler didn't seen that bothered by the waves.

Bridge High Tide 25.JPG

I may feel like some kind of Luddite dinosaur using a DSLR in 2024, but the D780 keeps surprising me. Today I discovered that it appears to find and track chicken eyes when using the viewfinder!

_7823658.jpg

I have bought a z6ii, but do still use the D750 body as a second camera when I need to use the 24-70 and 70-200.

As long as they do the work nothing wrong with using a DSLR.

I went all in and bought a Z8 thinking it would bring the the A9's fast, silent and blackout free use together with the D750's F-mount lenses and flashes. However I've ended up using my damaged D750 mostly over Christmas the Z8 can't used the AF assist light on the flash so it really struggles to get focus at all usually missing the shot if it does eventually focus and often not getting focus lock. The D750 in the meantime can lock focus almost immediately since it can use the AF assist light.

I'm unsure what to do now and kicking myself for not just grabbing a good condition D750 that was for sale here recently as it seems it's always going to be better for flash use. I've been looking through ebay listings but the condition and pricing is extremely variable with people having a very different idea of 'very good' or 'excellent' condition to me, getting up to the good condition cameras seems too much money for an older second hand camera.

I went all in and bought a Z8 thinking it would bring the the A9's fast, silent and blackout free use together with the D750's F-mount lenses and flashes. However I've ended up using my damaged D750 mostly over Christmas the Z8 can't used the AF assist light on the flash so it really struggles to get focus at all usually missing the shot if it does eventually focus and often not getting focus lock. The D750 in the meantime can lock focus almost immediately since it can use the AF assist light.

I'm unsure what to do now and kicking myself for not just grabbing a good condition D750 that was for sale here recently as it seems it's always going to be better for flash use. I've been looking through ebay listings but the condition and pricing is extremely variable with people having a very different idea of 'very good' or 'excellent' condition to me, getting up to the good condition cameras seems too much money for an older second hand camera.
Not sure how many flashes you have, buy is buying a trigger and a flash like godox be an option?

Last edited:
Not sure how many flashes you have, buy is buying a trigger and a flash like godox be an option?
It's just an SB-900 I'm using mounted on the camera and nothing fancy, just to take indoor shots when the ambient light isn't suitable and using the AF-assist grid on the flash to get quick focus. As I understand it the Z8 and other mirrorless cameras can't used this AF assist light so they struggle for focus in the sort of lighting I'm using the flash, I don't think the Godox flashes are any different in this regard.

It's leaving me thinking I need to keep a DSLR of some sort for flash use.

Last edited:
It's just an SB-900 I'm using mounted on the camera and nothing fancy, just to take indoor shots when the ambient light isn't suitable using the AF-assist grid on the flash. As I understand it the Z8 and other mirrorless cameras can't used this AF assist light so they struggle for focus in the sort of lighting I'm using the flash, I don't think the Godox flashes are any different in this regard.

It's leaving me thinking I need to keep a DSLR of some sort for flash use.
Sorry did not know about this issue, good to know. Thank you

Sorry, folks, I've been a bit lax posting in this thread. Here are a couple from late last year. All shot on the Somerset Levels with the D780 and Sigma 150-600C.
1. Signet at RSPB Ham Wall
DSC_7945_tp.jpg

2. Bullfinch at Shapwick Heath NR
DSC_8049_tp.jpg

3. Pheasant at Shapwick Heath NR
DSC_8070_tp.jpg

I need a bit of a sanity check, I've been keeping an eye out for any second hand D750s are my local camera shop and one has come up which looks in genuinely pristine condition with a low shutter count for £650. I'd been looking at second hand D750s which to get very good condition which seemed to be up towards £800 at which point I was giving serious thought to picking up a grey D850 for £1500.

I'm split between it's daft spending that much on a potentially ten year old camera and although it's quite a bit more for the D850 but it's brand new, on the other hand for the reduced use I have for a DSLR these days so it's mostly for flash use (I have a Z8 so don't need the better AF and resolution of the D850) then sticking with the D750 and saving nearly a grand will do me better.

Last edited:
I wish I'd kept my D750. I know it wouldn't get much use but it was a great workhorse and tolerated much abuse that I'd prefer not to expose the D780 to and, when I look back at the images I got with it they're perfectly good.

If you're considering grey market, Panamoz have a the D780 for £1330 new.

Earlier this week the wife and I spent a few hours at Forest Farm Nature Reserve in Cardiff. There wasn't much happening, to be honest, but I managed a few images and here are three of them. All taken with the D780 and Sigma 150-600C.
DSC_8604.jpg

DSC_8662.jpg

DSC_8667.jpg

I've used my D750s and then my D780s in the rain plenty of times without issue. Maybe I've got complacent. After a couple of hours getting soaked yesterday all seemed fine. I aired them both as usual when I got home. However, when I got one D780 out of my bag this morning it had developed a cataract! the eyepiece was misted up. On the inside! All working fine but I couldn't see much making it pretty well unusable. I put it in the passenger footwell on the hour drive home but it only made it worse. After another hour in the house all is clear again. Fingers crossed. Glad I kept my most battered D750 as a spare. I'll be taking that along as back up tomorrow.

This was yesterday. Today was a bit drier...

_7818068.jpg

I wish I'd kept my D750. I know it wouldn't get much use but it was a great workhorse and tolerated much abuse that I'd prefer not to expose the D780 to and, when I look back at the images I got with it they're perfectly good.

If you're considering grey market, Panamoz have a the D780 for £1330 new.
I gave some thought to the D780 but it doesn't offer much over the D750 that's beneficial to me and it ends up close in price to the D850 plus it doesn't work with the old standalone Lightroom. The camera shop also have a very good condition D810 for a similar price to the D750 but after doing a lot of reading decided the D750 is the one to go for which sadly someone else thought as it quickly sold to my surprise.

I thought I'd see what my Tamron 100-400 is like for close-up photographs. Seems acceptable for what it is. There's something about the pictures from Tamrons I like. No wonder Nikon are re-badging some for the Z mount.

_7824656.jpg

_7824681.jpg

Back