Nikon D750 & D780

It's not something I realised how much I used until it was gone so not only can I not see what aperture I'm using but I can't see the light levels either to adjust as needed. I'm going to contact a local camera shop and see if they can open it up and have a look then go from there.

There's no way I'm paying a subscription for Lightroom as I don't think it's at all justified and was going to change to Capture One but concerned about their recent pricing changes as well which seem to moving to subscription as well.
Think we need to wait and see what the announcement Capture One make in February.

My understanding is that the perpetual licence version will remain, and you would then pay for a full upgrade as and when you want to upgrade. The will not be giving a discount on the upgrade, but we need to see what the loyalty scheme they talk about will be.

This surely has to rank as one of the longest lived threads on here! - the D750 was (and still is!) and incredible bit of kit,
I remember when we were all buying the D750 & 24-120 kit from Panamoz so we could flog the lens and get the body for a steal!

This surely has to rank as one of the longest lived threads on here! - the D750 was (and still is!) and incredible bit of kit,
I remember when we were all buying the D750 & 24-120 kit from Panamoz so we could flog the lens and get the body for a steal!
So true, and I was one of them......

There's no way I'm paying a subscription for Lightroom as I don't think it's at all justified and was going to change to Capture One but concerned about their recent pricing changes as well which seem to moving to subscription as well.
Hi John,

I had similar thoughts a couple of years ago but when I looked into the cost of purchasing an alternative software and then updating it every year the cost came out pretty even. On the plus side for Adobe, you get both Lightroom and Photoshop for that amount.

I only realised recently the D750 is eight years old now as it seems much more recent, I'm just going through photos I took over Christmas with the D750 and the SB-900 flash and they're fantastic.

I've spoken with a local camera shop who have said they can send it to an independent repairer who will give a repair quote for £75, they advised a D610 viewfinder repair had been £365 so bearing in mind there's possibly other damage to the camera I'm not aware of I think I'll just hold onto the camera and use it as is for now, if I'm using the camera a lot and it's bugging me then I can have another think about what to do.

Hi John,

I had similar thoughts a couple of years ago but when I looked into the cost of purchasing an alternative software and then updating it every year the cost came out pretty even. On the plus side for Adobe, you get both Lightroom and Photoshop for that amount.
I'm absolutely nowhere near needing upgrading every year and with camera improvements having slowed down so much, there's even less need to upgrade in future. I bought the LR6 upgrade in May 2015 for £60 and that's covered my cameras up to the Sony A9 so this is now the first time I'm needing to upgrade since then, the subscription cost in the meantime would have been staggering at over £900 whereas even the full Capture One one off at £300 would be far cheaper. I'm just a hobbyist so I'm certainly not wanting to keep paying monthly for software I may not be using especially when I'm getting absolutely nothing for it unlike Spotify, Netflix etc. where I'm getting access to a wide range of content and I don't want to have to stop and start a subscription when I need it.
Maybe the thread should be renamed to cover the D780 too?

It's odd that (possibly) the best DSLR available doesn't have a thread on the best photography site :)
I think that makes sense as it seems a popular upgrade to the D750 and there's a number of posts here already on it and a logical place to discuss it as well.

@JohnMcL7 - I guess that as long as you're willing to use software that gets progressively more out of date, missing out on updates that improve the applications performance or adds new features then your viewpoint is absolutely valid. I used to feel like that too and ran LR6 for a long time :)

@JohnMcL7 - I guess that as long as you're willing to use software that gets progressively more out of date, missing out on updates that improve the applications performance or adds new features then your viewpoint is absolutely valid. I used to feel like that too and ran LR6 for a long time :)
I'm not willing to carry on using out of date software but I'm also absolutely not prepared to pay over ten times more for exactly the same software especially when it's not a fixed cost.

I think for now my options are either repair the D750, buy another D750, buy a D850 or just keep going with the broken D750 and see if it gets any worse, for now I think I'm going to stick with the latter and just have to be more careful checking the settings.

Last edited:
I think for now my options are either repair the D750, buy another D750, buy a D850 or just keep going with the broken D750 and see if it gets any worse, for now I think I'm going to stick with the latter and just have to be more careful checking the settings.
John, I think in your position I would probably do the same thing but I would definitely get a free repair estimate from Nikon Service before making any decision.

I've been using the face detect in viewfinder operation with the D780 today and in liveview. It works well using the OVF, but is even better in liveview. It even latched on to a sheep's eye one time!

I can see why mirrorless cameras with this feature are popular with photographers who need to have eyes in sharp focus a lot. For me it's not that critical. Often I am focusing on something in front of a person. I've been tricked by face detect in the past and missed shots like that.

OVF face detect.

_7819140.jpg

Hi Dave,

I have also had eye detect in liveview latch on to an animal's eye once ... and then only for a few seconds. It would be great if Nikon added animal eye detect in liveview in a future software upgrade but I doubt that will happen :(

Hi Dave,

I have also had eye detect in liveview latch on to an animal's eye once ... and then only for a few seconds. It would be great if Nikon added animal eye detect in liveview in a future software upgrade but I doubt that will happen :(
I doubt Nikon will be upgrading any DSLRs now. They might not make any more. Only dinosaurs will be using them in a couple of years time. I used my D750s for seven and a half years. If get the same out of my D780s I really will be a dinosaur by then!

I doubt Nikon will be upgrading any DSLRs now. They might not make any more. Only dinosaurs will be using them in a couple of years time. I used my D750s for seven and a half years. If get the same out of my D780s I really will be a dinosaur by then!
Nikon did an update to the D850's "C" firmware earlier this month so they haven't totally abandoned us DSLR users ... yet.

With the D780's liveview features being the same as the Z6ii I would hope that advances to that cameras firmware could be ported to the D780 too, otherwise I don't see any reason for them to have made the camera the way it is. I live in hope :)

A decent flip out screen saves burning retinas looking through viewfinders, and makes getting low angles easier for ageing knees!

After many tries over the years I think I've got as close as I can to the way I've envisaged this shot thanks to a D780 and a Tamron 15-30mm.

4.jpg

That's a great image, ED (y)

I couldn't agree more about the flip out screen easing the load on the knees, Ed. I gave up trying to get really low shots with the D750 unless there was someone there to help me get up again :p

I couldn't agree more about the flip out screen easing the load on the knees, Ed. I gave up trying to get really low shots with the D750 unless there was someone there to help me get up again :p
Yes agree, you have the sun in the right spot.

Yes agree, you have the sun in the right spot.
Thanks both. It's great when a plan eventually works out. Funny thing is I hadn't intended going there today.

I have another with a smaller. crisper, sunstar but I think this one looks best overall.

Nice image, Andrew, the light is beautiful. We don't see so many taken from the Welsh side (y)

Thanks Steve. I think the Welsh side is more interesting than the Bristol side. There are lots of scalloped rocks around Sudbrook Camp that make a better foreground than the rubble at Severn Beach.

Oh wow, that looks like it was taken with a macro lens. Lovely colours.

Oh wow, that looks like it was taken with a macro lens. Lovely colours.
It could be sharper - or more accurately, focused on the insect rather than the leaf., but the lens does focus reasonably close. IMO it also has nicer out of focus rendition than the Nikon 80-400 I had last year and didn't get on with.

This is the full frame.

_7823509-Enhanced-NR-3.jpg

I've three decent Tamron lenses now and like them a lot for the focal length ranges they cover.

Just tried the 35-150 but it won't get such a large magnification. Maybe a bit sharper. (BTW all pics have been sharpened in LR)

_7812236.jpg

_7812236-2.jpg

Last edited:
I appear to have been neglecting this thread recently so thought I had better post something.

We have a bird feeder station set up just a few metres from my office window. A few days ago Daddy House Sparrow was feeding his young.
D780 with Sigma 150-600 C
1/800s, f/10, auto ISO (2000-2800)
Various focal lengths (360-600mm)
DSC_2297.jpg
feedng1.jpg
feeding2.jpg

A few from the 2000+ images I shot at the season opener air show at the Shuttleworth Collection a few weeks ago. We were blessed with superb weather for the flying display but the rain in the week preceding the show made the ground too soft for either the Spitfire or sea Hurricane to make an appearance.

All images shot with a D780 and Sigma 150-600 C.

#1 - Avro Lancaster
DSC_0208.jpg
#2 - Gloster Gladiator
DSC_0643.jpg
#3 - Westland Lysander
DSC_0678.jpg
#4 - Red Devils Parachute Display Team
DSC_1048.jpg
#5 - Bristol Boxkite (Replica)
DSC_1172.jpg

I'm jealous! We've been trying to entice a family of Goldfinches down to our feeder for the last month, or so, with absolutely no luck. I even bought some "special" feed from the RSPB and they are completely disinterested :grumpy:

Steve
there are about ten of them coming and going, sometimes they queue up on the fence just to get at the feeder. I will see if I can get them all together it should make an interesting image :)

I'm jealous! We've been trying to entice a family of Goldfinches down to our feeder for the last month, or so, with absolutely no luck. I even bought some "special" feed from the RSPB and they are completely disinterested :grumpy:
I used to use Niger seed to attract them but they preferred sunflower hearts. Saved me a few bob!

A very ropey, much enlarged, snap of an unexpected barn owl yesterday.

_7813107.jpg

I used to use Niger seed to attract them but they preferred sunflower hearts. Saved me a few bob!

A very ropey, much enlarged, snap of an unexpected barn owl yesterday.

The sunflower hearts get the hammer from all the birds that come to feed, Apart from the Goldys, there are greenfinches, blue tits and even the sparrows take to them.

We've got sunflower hearts in one of our other feeders and you're right - everything likes them. We saw a couple of Goldfinches in the front garden one morning but they've not been back since :(

We've got sunflower hearts in one of our other feeders and you're right - everything likes them. We saw a couple of Goldfinches in the front garden one morning but they've not been back since :(
I have to admit the Goldies are not feeding on my sunflower hearts much at present, I see them flitting about along the back hedge but not stopping to feed. Might be a different story come winter.

Back