Nikon D750 & D780

Nice images, Kev, of iconic scenes (y)

I fancy #2 is leaning slightly to the right ... or maybe my eyes are :giggle:

Nice images, Kev, of iconic scenes (y)

I fancy #2 is leaning slightly to the right ... or maybe my eyes are :giggle:
Thank you Sir, I probably is leaning. I took multiple images handheld to try out the pano merge in Capture one.

Today has marked the beginning of the end of my love affair with the D750 :( ... as I have taken delivery of a brand spanking new D780 :D

The D750 will sit in my bag until I'm entirely confident that the new camera is working properly and that I am able to use it proficiently. After that, I'm afraid we will have to part company :(

Today has marked the beginning of the end of my love affair with the D750 :( ... as I have taken delivery of a brand spanking new D780 :D

The D750 will sit in my bag until I'm entirely confident that the new camera is working properly and that I am able to use it proficiently. After that, I'm afraid we will have to part company :(
:D

Once you've used the D780 for a while you'll not miss the D750. ;)

There are a lot of little changes which reviewers overlooked that make it a much more usable camera. Not to mention the excellent liveview. (y)

There are a a couple of niggling changes but they're more about muscle memory than anything.

I thought I'd write a bit of an update on how I'm getting on with the D780.

I've now shot about 3,600 images with the D780 and you're right Dave, I'm not going to miss the D750. I feel sad saying that as it was a reliable workhorse of a camera that stood me in good stead. The D780, however, is a definite upgrade with better auto-focus, far superior live view, fantastic high-ISO performance, faster frame rate coupled with bigger/faster buffer and, to my mind, better control layout. I haven't found any problem learning the new control positions and can already hit the right button first time without taking my eye from the view finder, something that never really happened with the D750.

My keeper rate for wildlife pictures in particular has improved exponentially and my confidence in the AF system is almost total. I still need to improve my framing and composition of birds in flight but no longer have any lingering doubt that the image will be sharp enough.

I always got a good number of shots from one battery charge on the D750 - typically between 2,000 and 2,500 - but the D780 is even better. Last Thursday I was at a charity track day and shot 2,030 images and the battery is still showing 43% left. Now that may drop off quickly but I would say something close to 3,500 is likely. The battery is an EN-EL15c, by the way. I also managed to almost fill two memory cards (32GB each with slot 2 set to overflow) so I've forked out for a 64GB one for slot 1 - that's £100 I wasn't planning to spend :) I'll get another one IF I find I need it.

My conclusion so far is that, as a highbred camera, the D780 is in a class of it's own :)

I've now shot about 3,600 images with the D780 and you're right Dave, I'm not going to miss the D750. I feel sad saying that as it was a reliable workhorse of a camera that stood me in good stead. The D780, however, is a definite upgrade with better auto-focus, far superior live view, fantastic high-ISO performance, faster frame rate coupled with bigger/faster buffer and, to my mind, better control layout. I haven't found any problem learning the new control positions and can already hit the right button first time without taking my eye from the view finder, something that never really happened with the D750.

My keeper rate for wildlife pictures in particular has improved exponentially and my confidence in the AF system is almost total. I still need to improve my framing and composition of birds in flight but no longer have any lingering doubt that the image will be sharp enough.

I always got a good number of shots from one battery charge on the D750 - typically between 2,000 and 2,500 - but the D780 is even better. Last Thursday I was at a charity track day and shot 2,030 images and the battery is still showing 43% left. Now that may drop off quickly but I would say something close to 3,500 is likely. The battery is an EN-EL15c, by the way. I also managed to almost fill two memory cards (32GB each with slot 2 set to overflow) so I've forked out for a 64GB one for slot 1 - that's £100 I wasn't planning to spend :) I'll get another one IF I find I need it.

My conclusion so far is that, as a highbred camera, the D780 is in a class of it's own :)
(y)

There are some little changes that I really like. The natural light auto white balance seems really good, for one.

£100 for a 64GB SD card? I paid £10.83 for the one I bought in February.:thinking:

(y)

There are some little changes that I really like. The natural light auto white balance seems really good, for one.

£100 for a 64GB SD card? I paid £10.83 for the one I bought in February.:thinking:
I only found the natural light white balance after last Thursday's outing. I will be trying it out next time.

The card I bought is this one https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B08YFD8QDT/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1. Probably over-spec'd but I prefer SanDisk.

I figured that as I now have a camera that can make use of UHS-II cards I'd get some. My only mistake was getting two smaller cards instead of two bigger ones :)

I used to find the buffer on the D750 was the limiting factor when machine gunning BIF. After about 12 frames it virtually stopped :( No such problem with the D780 :)

I figured that as I now have a camera that can make use of UHS-II cards I'd get some. My only mistake was getting two smaller cards instead of two bigger ones :)

I used to find the buffer on the D750 was the limiting factor when machine gunning BIF. After about 12 frames it virtually stopped :( No such problem with the D780 :)
I don't think I've ever shot a burst of twelve! :D

The 780 seems a nice upgrade in certain areas that /I would probably use, the only problem is the cost, and at the current moment with the uncertainty of the pound amongst other things. Looks like my 750 will have to last a while yet.

The 780 seems a nice upgrade in certain areas that /I would probably use, the only problem is the cost, and at the current moment with the uncertainty of the pound amongst other things. Looks like my 750 will have to last a while yet.
The D780 is far more of an upgrade than the initial reviews made me believe.

Even used (as I bought mine) they aren't cheap though.:(

The D780 is far more of an upgrade than the initial reviews made me believe.

Even used (as I bought mine) they aren't cheap though.:(
wow, I see what you mean about used.
Just had a quick scour around and they are £1600 +. MPB have one in with over 100K clicks for £1659.
Panamoz has them new for that price :(

wow, I see what you mean about used.
Just had a quick scour around and they are £1600 +. MPB have one in with over 100K clicks for £1659.
Panamoz has them new for that price :(
Aye. They seem to be holding their value.

I think that one of the reasons they are holding their value is the unique set of features they offer - an almost perfect blend of DSLR and Mirrorless.

It would be nice if Nikon provided software updates to keep the mirrorless features in-line with the Z6. Animal eye detection in liveview would be amazing :)

I headed down to Weston-S-Mare this afternoon to get some fresh air and also to take a few pictures of the See Monster before it crawls back into the ocean again. After all of the hype about this "art installation" in the media I have to say I was suitably underwhelmed by what I saw. So much so that I didn't even give joining the rather long queue a second thought. Anyway, I'm certain some people will see more in this than I do.
See-Monster_1.jpg
See-Monster_2.jpg
See-Monster_3.jpg

Your description of life with the new D780 matches what I've heard elsewhere. I am toying with buying one after Xmas Steve. I was interested in your D750 as a stop gap when it was for sale, but wanted to collect when visiting my daughter in Bristol. By the time I had a free day and would have expressed an interest it was sold. I currently use 2 D750's, one with a 24-70, the other with a 70-300. Another body would have permanently had my 17-35 attached.

I headed down to Weston-S-Mare this afternoon to get some fresh air and also to take a few pictures of the See Monster before it crawls back into the ocean again. After all of the hype about this "art installation" in the media I have to say I was suitably underwhelmed by what I saw. So much so that I didn't even give joining the rather long queue a second thought. Anyway, I'm certain some people will see more in this than I do.
View attachment 371799
View attachment 371800
View attachment 371801
£4.2 million allegedly! :eek:

Your description of life with the new D780 matches what I've heard elsewhere. I am toying with buying one after Xmas Steve. I was interested in your D750 as a stop gap when it was for sale, but wanted to collect when visiting my daughter in Bristol. By the time I had a free day and would have expressed an interest it was sold. I currently use 2 D750's, one with a 24-70, the other with a 70-300. Another body would have permanently had my 17-35 attached.
Steve, I wish you had expressed an interest even if you couldn't collect straight away. I would have much preferred to sell to someone on TP and wasn't in any rush to get the money.

I can't recommend the D780 enough. It is a stellar performer and, for anyone like me that shoots wildlife even in the midst of winter, the way it handles high ISO noise is exceptional. Take a look at this comparison from photonstophotos.com
noise_comparison.jpg
Don't hesitate - buy it!

Hi folks,

A quick question; does anyone here use a cabled shutter release with a D780 aside from the Nikon MC-DC2?

If so, can you recommend one and maybe include a link to it, please?

Hi folks,

A quick question; does anyone here use a cabled shutter release with a D780 aside from the Nikon MC-DC2?

If so, can you recommend one and maybe include a link to it, please?
The cheapo one I have doesn't seem to be available from Amazon now. So long as you get the right connector any should be OK, there's not a lot to them.

I have a remore release (also unavailable - https://smile.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0049H15P4/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1) and got one of these Rhino foot pedals which works a treat. https://rhino-tech.co.uk/shop/ols/products/rhino-release/v/RHN-RLS-S3

Still using my battered old D750 as a knockabout camera and for copying my old slides.

Sorry about being late to the conversation. However, I too am really loving my D780. I slapped an accessory grip on it for added grip when using heavier glass. It feels great ergonomically, and the control layout is really nice. I shoot RAW on one card and FINE-JPEG on the second card. No buffering issues either. I am still getting acquainted with its mirrorless capabilities.

Nikon 35 f-2, AF-D - resized.jpg

Sorry about being late to the conversation. However, I too am really loving my D780. I slapped an accessory grip on it for added grip when using heavier glass. It feels great ergonomically, and the control layout is really nice. I shoot RAW on one card and FINE-JPEG on the second card. No buffering issues either. I am still getting acquainted with its mirrorless capabilities.
Hi Russ,

Can I ask which grip you chose, please? I really miss the grip I had on the D750 when shooting with the Sigma 150-600.

I seem to have lost the information text along the bottom of the viewfinder that shows data like the shutter speed, aperture etc., the camera was fine a couple of days ago and I haven't been in the settings since. I've had a look around and it seems this has happened to a number of people and it's a fault on the camera but I'd thought I'd see if any of you clever D750 people have any suggestions? The red focus point part is still working and the rest of the camera seems fine but it's surprisingly annoying having to take the camera down from you eye level each time to check a setting before taking a photo.

If it's a dud and I need a replacement I'm a little unsure what to go with. I'm halfway between Nikon and Sony at the moment as I have the Sony A9 and a handful of lenses which is a fantastic camera for speed and its silence however I find the D750's IQ a bit better and I've a range of pricier lenses for it and a decent flash so I've kept the D750 for high IQ stuff where I don't need speed. At the moment it doesn't feel worth the price to go all in with Sony so reading through the last few pages here the D780 seems a popular upgrade for being better than it looks on paper but I've realised won't work with old standalone version of Lightroom. I know this is a problem I'm going to have to face up to one of these days but also been looking at the D850 which will work but reading through comments from D750 owners I'm not sure if it's something I'll get the benefit from, it's quite a chunk of money for a camera that's getting on now.

Or I'm wondering about just picking up another D750 as they seem fairly cheap compared to the D780/D850 and still a decent camera, I was taking some shots with the flash the other day and I think the results are good. The main weakness was the lack of buffer but it's not an issue now as I use the A9 for action work, I also don't use it for video or liveview work. I'd appreciate any thoughts from those here who've been in a similar position.

never heard of that before, you could try doing a reset but save any custom settings to a card first, other than that I do not know what to advise.

Hi John,

I've not ever actually "lost" the settings in the viewfinder but if I'm a bit careless when putting the viewfinder to my eye I can't see them - but that's because I wear varifocal lenses and if I hold the camera a little higher than needed the settings are in a blind spot. I only mention this as it might just possibly be a similar problem (?)

As someone that recently switched from the D750 (which I loved) to the D780 I really can't recommend it highly enough. Despite the closeness of the printed specifications and the lukewarm reviews it got when introduced it really is a serious improvement on the D750 and if you think that camera's IQ is good then you'll simply love the 780's :)

The image below was shot with the D780 and Sigma 150-600 Contemporary (1/800s, f/6.3, ISO5000, 600mm handheld)
D780 - DSC_3883_2.jpg

never heard of that before, you could try doing a reset but save any custom settings to a card first, other than that I do not know what to advise.
I've not found anyone that has resolved the problem this way and I'm not keen on doing it at the moment as it's a long time since I configured the camera and it's working as I want.
Hi John,

I've not ever actually "lost" the settings in the viewfinder but if I'm a bit careless when putting the viewfinder to my eye I can't see them - but that's because I wear varifocal lenses and if I hold the camera a little higher than needed the settings are in a blind spot. I only mention this as it might just possibly be a similar problem (?)

As someone that recently switched from the D750 (which I loved) to the D780 I really can't recommend it highly enough. Despite the closeness of the printed specifications and the lukewarm reviews it got when introduced it really is a serious improvement on the D750 and if you think that camera's IQ is good then you'll simply love the 780's :)

The image below was shot with the D780 and Sigma 150-600 Contemporary (1/800s, f/6.3, ISO5000, 600mm handheld)
I appreciate the suggestion as it's the type I was looking for, I've taken the eye cup off and I've looked all around the frame but I just can't see any sign of a display so I don't think it's lighting up.

I was going to say I haven't been into the settings nor do I think there is a setting to switch this off and I was also going to say the camera hasn't been dropped or anything. However I've just a horrible realisation, I was using the camera a couple of months ago and it slipped out the back pack and landed on a concrete pavement. It landed on the lower left (looking from the back) leaving a small dent but it appeared to be working fine since then however I think it's probably damaged something internally and it's now failed. It's the only time I've ever done that with a camera but I think this is likely all my fault and probably not worth looking into repairs.

I think if I could use the D780 with my old version of Lightroom I'd just go for it, I'll maybe have a look into how viable it is to convert to DNGs so I can carry on the same.

I don't think I'd notice if the info display in any of my viewfinders disappeared. I rarely look at them - apart from the virtual horizon.

As someone that recently switched from the D750 (which I loved) to the D780 I really can't recommend it highly enough. Despite the closeness of the printed specifications and the lukewarm reviews it got when introduced it really is a serious improvement on the D750 and if you think that camera's IQ is good then you'll simply love the 780's

The best improvement is that I haven't had to tape the eye cup on yet

My only niggle is that the dial rotation has been reversed to get from Matrix metering to Highlight Priority, which are my two favoured metering methods. But it's not as big a deal as the game changing eye cup! :LOL:

I think if I could use the D780 with my old version of Lightroom I'd just go for it, I'll maybe have a look into how viable it is to convert to DNGs so I can carry on the same.

I resisted moving to the D780 for this reason and in all honesty the subscription Lightroom is as big an improvement over the old one as the D780 is over the D750. Together they are a great combination.

This was shot with a Tamron 35-150 - my multi-purpose lens these days - on the D780.

_7818025-2.jpg

_7818025.jpg

I don't think I'd notice if the info display in any of my viewfinders disappeared. I rarely look at them - apart from the virtual horizon.

The best improvement is that I haven't had to tape the eye cup on yet

My only niggle is that the dial rotation has been reversed to get from Matrix metering to Highlight Priority
, which are my two favoured metering methods. But it's not as big a deal as the game changing eye cup! :LOL:

I resisted moving to the D780 for this reason and in all honesty the subscription Lightroom is as big an improvement over the old one as the D780 is over the D750. Together they are a great combination.

This was shot with a Tamron 35-150 - my multi-purpose lens these days - on the D780.
HaHa! Ed. I used to buy eye cups three at a time until I figured out that a tiny drop of superglue was enough to stop them falling off but still allowed me to remove them if needed.

It took me a couple of weeks to get used to dial rotation change :)

It's not something I realised how much I used until it was gone so not only can I not see what aperture I'm using but I can't see the light levels either to adjust as needed. I'm going to contact a local camera shop and see if they can open it up and have a look then go from there.

There's no way I'm paying a subscription for Lightroom as I don't think it's at all justified and was going to change to Capture One but concerned about their recent pricing changes as well which seem to moving to subscription as well.

It's not something I realised how much I used until it was gone so not only can I not see what aperture I'm using but I can't see the light levels either to adjust as needed. I'm going to contact a local camera shop and see if they can open it up and have a look then go from there.
We're all different how we use cameras. :)

Back