Nikon D750 & D780

I like the 135mm. Well, like what i have seen from it. I 'imagine' it would sit well with the rendering of the 58. A very classic look to the final image. Could be way off the mark though. :LOL:

Yeah, the old nikons render nicely, not the sharpest because of it though and you are pretty accurate with your comparison in terms of OOF from what Ive seen. CA/Flare would likely be an issue that the 58 shouldnt show. I wish they would update the 135 to look like the new Gs with better AF and coatings, optical design can stay the same...... or Sigma would pull their finger out.

I can't decide whether to get a second D750 or a D800 for my second body.

I really struggled with the D800. Focusing especially on both D800s I owned wasn't great. If it was a second-hand d810 v a new d750 it would be more of a dilemma, but for me the D750 is miles better than the D800.

I really struggled with the D800. Focusing especially on both D800s I owned wasn't great. If it was a second-hand d810 v a new d750 it would be more of a dilemma, but for me the D750 is miles better than the D800.

I think I'd worry about moire issues with the D810 though.

Yeah, the old nikons render nicely, not the sharpest because of it though and you are pretty accurate with your comparison in terms of OOF from what Ive seen. CA/Flare would likely be an issue that the 58 shouldnt show. I wish they would update the 135 to look like the new Gs with better AF and coatings, optical design can stay the same...... or Sigma would pull their finger out.

I have the 135 DC, and I love it.
I hear so many saying it's not very sharp. It is ! It takes a bit of getting used to to get the best out of it, but sharpness is there.

Furry ears (2 of 2) by
Gary Hickling, on Flickr
(Click on image for larger)

It is well known for needing to be AF micro-adjusted, mine is on +18 on my D700.

Also, the DC lenses render skin tones in a way no other lenses do because they are designed to shift the focus of the red wavelength slightly, relative to the blue and green,
If they ever modernise this lens, (or the 105DC), I'm pretty sure it would have less CA, but lose this special quality.
So I, personally, wouldn't swap my 135DC for a newer model if ever it comes along.
Can't wait to get it on a D750 though. Soon.

I have the 135 DC, and I love it.
I hear so many saying it's not very sharp. It is ! It takes a bit of getting used to to get the best out of it, but sharpness is there.

Furry ears (2 of 2) by
Gary Hickling, on Flickr
(Click on image for larger)

It is well known for needing to be AF micro-adjusted, mine is on +18 on my D700.

Also, the DC lenses render skin tones in a way no other lenses do because they are designed to shift the focus of the red wavelength slightly, relative to the blue and green,
If they ever modernise this lens, (or the 105DC), I'm pretty sure it would have less CA, but lose this special quality.
So I, personally, wouldn't swap my 135DC for a newer model if ever it comes along.
Can't wait to get it on a D750 though. Soon.

If you send it to me I'll get it on a D750 for you straight away... ;)

The first thing I need to buy before any more lenses or another D750 though, is a new tripod. Since some nob managed to leave the car unlocked and it got nicked along with the sat nav o_O

I want to try some land & sea scapes with my new (SH) Tamron 19-35mm when the weather gets a little better (might be waiting a while), so I need a remote of some sort. Anyone have any suggestions/recommendations please.

I want to try some land & sea scapes with my new (SH) Tamron 19-35mm when the weather gets a little better (might be waiting a while), so I need a remote of some sort. Anyone have any suggestions/recommendations please.

Or timer or Nikon ML-L3?

Your phone and the Nikon app?

Thanks both.

I find the APP so hit and miss for me that I have given up on it. When I had the fuji XT1 the APP was brilliant on that camera. I find Nikon one is poor in comparison.

Or timer or Nikon ML-L3?

Will take a look at the ML-L3

Last edited:
ISO 12800

ISO12800.jpg

Wow! amazing shot at that ISO. What additional pp have you done please?

Hi Lee,

D750 + Nikon 50mm f1.8 - f8 - 1/160th sec at ISO 12800 - OEV - taken as a NEF RAW and Auto WB

processed in LR and then medium NR in Topaz deNoise 5, (I'm still using the 30 day trial copy)...... the same NR could have probably been achieved in LR or PS ..... but the Topaz app is easier to apply globally

back to LR for a few final adjustments

with high ISO shots just be careful about noise in the blacks

bigger file is here

https://www.flickr.com/photos/billn_france/23226819281/in/dateposted/

just click on the image on Flickr

Last edited:
Where high ISO performance matters to me is shooting hand held when there's not much light to work with, not under conditions when you could easily drop the shutter speed and/or open up the aperture to get a lower ISO. As someone who remembers struggling to get an acceptable shutter speed with 400ASA film, modern digital cameras are unbelievable in this regard!

28/1.8 @ f2, 1/13th, ISO 8000 no noise reduction

750_6249.jpg

28/1.8 @ f2, 1/30th, ISO 8000 no noise reduction

750_6281.jpg

Crop from above.

750_6281-2.jpg

Speaking of Firmware updates, just got an email. Anyone else installed it?

• • An External recording control option has been added to the HDMI item in the SETUP MENU. If the camera is connected via HDMI to a third-party recorder that supports the Atomos Open Protocol (the Atomos SHOGUN, NINJA2, or NINJA BLADE), selecting On allows camera controls to be used to start and stop recording. More information is available in a supplementary manual.
    Note:Choose an option other than 576p (progressive) or 480p (progressive) for HDMI > Output resolution in theSETUP MENU.
  • • Fixed the following issues:
    • - The brightness of the live view photography display would not change when a command dial was rotated to adjust exposure compensation with On (Auto reset) selected for b Metering/exposure > b3 Easy exposure compensation > Easy exposure compensation in the CUSTOM SETTING MENU.
    • - Although the preview button would stop the lens down to maximum aperture when assigned the Preview role, the maximum aperture indicator would not appear in the monitor.
    • - In rare cases, the shutter would not be released when the user attempted to take photographs in movie live view.
    • - About 4 seconds of static could be heard on audio recorded with external HDMI recorders during movie live view.
    • - The shutter speed, aperture, and ISO sensitivity displayed in the monitor during movie live view would differ from values in the final movie file.
    • - Part of the focus point would disappear if the user zoomed in while the framing grid was displayed.
    • - Volume could sometimes not be adjusted if movies were played with indicators hidden during full-frame playback (None (image only)).
    • - Exposure compensation would fail to produce the desired results if a negative value was selected when NEF (RAW) images were processed using the NEF (RAW) processing option in the RETOUCH MENU.
    • - Images would in rare cases fail to record correctly with HDR (high dynamic range) selected in the PHOTO SHOOTING MENU.
    • - If On was selected for Exposure smoothing during interval timer photography, every frame after the first would be overexposed.
    • - File numbers were not assigned in the proper sequence.
    • - The focus point would not be displayed in the correct location in the monitor.
    • - In some languages, characters or parts of characters would be missing from the SETUP MENU > Location data > Positiondisplay.
    • - In some languages, characters or parts of characters would be missing from the SETUP MENU > AF fine-tune > List saved values display.
    • - In some regions, nothing would be displayed when Conformity marking was selected in the SETUP MENU.
  • • Some help text has been changed.
  • • Optimal vibration reduction is now available with vibration reduction lenses.

http://downloadcenter.nikonimglib.com/en/download/fw/157.html

Last edited:
Just had an email from Nikon telling me there's a new firmware update. Anybody know what it consists of? Can't get on to the website yet.

Doesn't sound like a huge update to me, might not bother tbh, more faff than it's worth!

Also got the notification via email but can't see what it's for off my phone.
But the post from kraftyskillsz has helped.

Being a straightforward install, no changes to my personal settings etc don't see it as a hassle. I know, I have faith that the upgrade in the firmware won't do harm. I haven't used the cameras yet so can't comment on differences - although I'm not expecting many if any at all. Just keeping up to date.

Back