Nikon D750 & D780

Didn't think it would be that soon.got a shooting competition next week so need to get some practice in for that. Shame thou

Didn't think it would be that soon.got a shooting competition next week so need to get some practice in for that. Shame thou

Have you got hearing protection? I make custom plugs ;)

Folks,

OK, this is really a Nikon full frame related query rather than D750 but its the busiest Nikon FF thread!

Having re-acquired a Nikon (D810) I ordered a Tamron 70-300 USD and while its ok its not great.

I know that something like the Nikon 70-200 f4 would be fine having used one before on a D800 but I've been half wondering if maybe one of the newer Tamron or Sigma "long" lenses might be a step-up from the 70-300 Tamron, such as the Tammy 150-600 or Sigma 150-600 and does anyone use them?

The Nikon 200-500 is tempting but I think I'd miss that extra 50mm on the wide end...

I'd probably opt for another Sigma 100-300 f4 DG APO but they are very thin on the ground!

Chris

Folks,

OK, this is really a Nikon full frame related query rather than D750 but its the busiest Nikon FF thread!

Having re-acquired a Nikon (D810) I ordered a Tamron 70-300 USD and while its ok its not great.

I know that something like the Nikon 70-200 f4 would be fine having used one before on a D800 but I've been half wondering if maybe one of the newer Tamron or Sigma "long" lenses might be a step-up from the 70-300 Tamron, such as the Tammy 150-600 or Sigma 150-600 and does anyone use them?

The Nikon 200-500 is tempting but I think I'd miss that extra 50mm on the wide end...

I'd probably opt for another Sigma 100-300 f4 DG APO but they are very thin on the ground!

Chris
Haven't used the Tamron 70-300mm but have had the Nikon 70-300mm VR, and now have the Tamron 150-600mm VC and would say that they Tamron has slightly better IQ than the Nikon, and noticeably better IQ if you keep the Tamron to 550mm and below. Totally different beasts in terms of size and weight, and of course reach. I'd choose the Sigma 150-600mm now though to be able to use the dock. Of course there's the Sigma sports 150-600mm which is the best of the lot, but even heavier and pricier.

Folks,

Chris

I have owned the Nikon 300mm F4 prime(x2) and 1.4TC, Nikon 70-300mm VR & Tamron 70-300mm VC (x3) Sigma 70-300mm APO Super DG (x2) and currently the Sigma 150-600mm Contemporary. For me I think this is the best of the bunch on the D810, quick focusing, excellent IQ and a lot lighter and cheaper than the Sport model, and from what I have seen, I would only go for the Sport for weather sealing, IQ there's nothing in them. I bought the dock to go with the lens, but it's been spot on for me and not needed any MFA.

Obviously the 70-200mm f4 lens is going to be excellent and a big improvement over the 70-300mm lenses, but you have to decide if you can live with the 200mm end and crop in post?.... I also use the 1.2 crop mode on the D810, which allows you to black out the border which makes it easier for framing and gives you 720mm FOV.

Also, I don't go far with the 150-600mm as it's mainly for home use, but when I do go out, I find using the Peak Design Slide Summit is excellent for carrying the lens.

Last edited:
Who would be potentially interested in a trip to Dungeness Friday evening/night, nights are drawing in so sunset is a bit easier than it has been. Moon doesn't rise oil midnight according to my calculations (i.e a random website)

@kingo15 @G.K.Jnr. @Paulie-W @anyoneelse...

Unfortunately I'm unable to make it this time Tim, as I'll be away working at the F1 (Belgium). "Sorry" (y)

George.

How about some sailing ... These guys were learning by the slow speed they were travelling at (no chance of panning), but I have seen them at silly speeds before ...

Five Sails by Paulie-W, on Flickr

Great shot Paul, really good comp', and the light catching the sails makes them stand out nicely amongst the surroundings.(y)

George.

Unfortunately I'm unable to make it this time Tim, as I'll be away working at the F1 (Belgium). "Sorry" (y)

George.
I'm intrigued as to what line of work you're in if you get to work at the GP? Not jealous at all ;)

I'm intrigued as to what line of work you're in if you get to work at the GP? Not jealous at all ;)

I'll try and PM you a bit later Toby, as I try to keep the business side of my activities away from any forums. I'm not too keen on mixing business with pleasure.(y)

George.

I'll try and PM you a bit later Toby, as I try to keep the business side of my activities away from any forums. I'm not too keen on mixing business with pleasure.(y)

George.
No worries, completely understand (y)

Great shot Paul, really good comp', and the light catching the sails makes them stand out nicely amongst the surroundings.(y)

George.

Thank you George, always appreciated :)

Having just got my d750 and a couple of the 1.8G primes I thought I'd pop a post in this thread. Coming from a Sony A99, I am very impressed with the high ISO and the machine gun like fast focusing ability. The AF was never the Sony's strongest point and many shots I missed critical focus on, whereas it seems I can literally point, shoot and fire the d750 and get sharp shots!

On the downside the Nikon feels very plasticky in comparison, the Sony for all its faults was a level up in build quality.

The little lenses also very plasticky (35 and 85) but you get what you pay for and they are extremely sharp.

I don't suppose it will be long before I need something wider and something longer and a short zoom so I'll be following this thread with interest.

So Canon have launched the 5D mkIV and confirmed again the reason I switched to Nikon, the ridiculous price tag of new bodies. £3500 [emoji51]

Their premium prices are just not justified, so glad I moved over.

Welcome to the best section.

Don't forget the screen protector. ( it's been an ongoing joke for a while if you flick through it all you will see)

I've been thinking about the 85 1.8 g.
Cause I haven't brought a new lens since xmas

Welcome to the best section.

Don't forget the screen protector. ( it's been an ongoing joke for a while if you flick through it all you will see)

I've been thinking about the 85 1.8 g.
Cause I haven't brought a new lens since xmas
I still don't have a screen protector :eek:

Get the 85 it's a lovely lens

So Canon have launched the 5D mkIV and confirmed again the reason I switched to Nikon, the ridiculous price tag of new bodies. £3500 [emoji51]

Their premium prices are just not justified, so glad I moved over.
Was just about to post this. Do Canon actually look at the market? D810 is £2139, D750 is £1390. Do they honestly think it's £1400 and £2100 better respectively. Absolute joke imo.

Having just got my d750 and a couple of the 1.8G primes I thought I'd pop a post in this thread. Coming from a Sony A99, I am very impressed with the high ISO and the machine gun like fast focusing ability. The AF was never the Sony's strongest point and many shots I missed critical focus on, whereas it seems I can literally point, shoot and fire the d750 and get sharp shots!

On the downside the Nikon feels very plasticky in comparison, the Sony for all its faults was a level up in build quality.

The little lenses also very plasticky (35 and 85) but you get what you pay for and they are extremely sharp.

I don't suppose it will be long before I need something wider and something longer and a short zoom so I'll be following this thread with interest.
Welcome aboard. This surprises me about the build quality tbh as I had the A77-II before the D750 and didn't realise the A99 was that much better than the A77, just goes to show. I agree about the feel of the lenses though, it's only till you get to the pro lenses that the quality feels anywhere near what it should imo. Anyway, I don't think you'll be disappointed, the D750 is a fantastic camera, and as you say the noise handling is unreal. How're you finding the optical viewfinder in comparison to the EVF?

Folks,

Chris

Did have the 300mm f4 which was a lovely lens (and quite light too) but sold that and got a Tamron 150-600. Used exclusively for airshows, and only if i pixel peep can i get close to guessing which lens was used, as i normally shoot around f8-f13 so pretty sharp.

Did have the 300mm f4 which was a lovely lens (and quite light too) but sold that and got a Tamron 150-600. Used exclusively for airshows, and only if i pixel peep can i get close to guessing which lens was used, as i normally shoot around f8-f13 so pretty sharp.

Thanks mate, thats good to know, its on my list partly because I know the Tamron stuff is good (I have the 24-70 already) and partly because its relatively cheap used!

Welcome aboard. This surprises me about the build quality tbh as I had the A77-II before the D750 and didn't realise the A99 was that much better than the A77, just goes to show. I agree about the feel of the lenses though, it's only till you get to the pro lenses that the quality feels anywhere near what it should imo. Anyway, I don't think you'll be disappointed, the D750 is a fantastic camera, and as you say the noise handling is unreal. How're you finding the optical viewfinder in comparison to the EVF?

It probably doesn't help that I had all the metal pro zeiss lenses!

EVF- OVF, I thought it would be more difficult transition and this may be testamount to the quality of todays EVF's but I'm not finding a huge difference thus far. I miss the ability to zoom in to manual focus and I think af fine tuning my lenses will be difficult but its a real bonus being able to look through the viewfinder with the camera off.

I grew up on OVF film cams so it shouldn't take me too long to readjust.

Overall am pleased and the af system is significantly better as will be IQ once I've done the af fine tune!

It probably doesn't help that I had all the metal pro zeiss lenses!

EVF- OVF, I thought it would be more difficult transition and this may be testamount to the quality of todays EVF's but I'm not finding a huge difference thus far. I miss the ability to zoom in to manual focus and I think af fine tuning my lenses will be difficult but its a real bonus being able to look through the viewfinder with the camera off.

I grew up on OVF film cams so it shouldn't take me too long to readjust.

Overall am pleased and the af system is significantly better as will be IQ once I've done the af fine tune!
Why should fine tuning be any more difficult than with the A99?

Why should fine tuning be any more difficult than with the A99?
It may just be 'making it more difficult' as I don't fully understand the camera yet but on a99 I could zoom in using live view and manually focus but actually I could do that with the Nikon live view too!

It may just be 'making it more difficult' as I don't fully understand the camera yet but on a99 I could zoom in using live view and manually focus but actually I could do that with the Nikon live view too!
But you don't want to use manual focus for fine tune as you're testing the auto focus accuracy ;) Unless of course you're using the DOT tune method and want to get critical focus first, in which case just use liveview as the AF in liveview is as accurate as it comes as it's using contrast detect AF. Don't expect lightning fast AF in liveview on the Nikon like you had with the Sony though :(

Yeah dot tune!

I wish the d750 had that fancy new feature I have read about in the d500!

I will never complain of the Light Pollution in my garden again, this is the ISS passing over my Dad's in St.Mellons near Cardiff at 10.27pm. It's like daylight in his garden due to the street lights :(

ISS-St.Mellons by Martin Coomer, on Flickr

Yeah dot tune!

I wish the d750 had that fancy new feature I have read about in the d500!
Tbh it's not all it's cracked up to be, users are reporting it's very hit and miss.

I will never complain of the Light Pollution in my garden again, this is the ISS passing over my Dad's in St.Mellons near Cardiff at 10.27pm. It's like daylight in his garden due to the street lights :(

ISS-St.Mellons by Martin Coomer, on Flickr
That is pretty bright ... I have my own light pollution, due to my wifes addiction to bloody solar garden lights ;)

Back