Nikon D750 & D780

Is swapping from a 24mm to a 28mm will make such a difference?

I like both the 50mm and the 85mm fixed focal lens, I recently moved from 85 to 50 because the 85 can get quickly too long indoor when you are not after a tight portrait.
I use to love the 35mm on film camera but i'm starting to find it harder (maybe by laziness) to use wide fixed focal lens. Exception to this is the 20mm but I only use it for night sky photography.

My 50 is on my camera, I like it! The 24 just seemed that little bit too wide. Of course I could go 35/50 but think 28/50 is a better partnership.

My 50 is on my camera, I like it! The 24 just seemed that little bit too wide. Of course I could go 35/50 but think 28/50 is a better partnership.

I seem to swap between the 24-70 & 50mm f/1.4... can't make up my mind which I like best yet! :)

I seem to swap between the 24-70 & 50mm f/1.4... can't make up my mind which I like best yet! :)
Different tools for different jobs so you may never be able to decide ;)

:clap:
It's leaning right... no offence but I don't get the "sooc" tag that everyone likes to add as if to excuse a wonky pic. Why not spend 30 seconds correcting it in PP ?

Hope I'm not to honest as I've travelled 3000 miles in 2 days, had 2 croissants and 3 coffees ..
:clap:

That's entirely NOT the point, the point was celebrating the joy of the privilege of having a new camera.

:clap::clap:

That's entirely NOT the point, the point was celebrating the joy of the privilege of having a new camera.
That's the way I read it too.
But as Damian said after 3000 miles he may have missed the point.
Welcome to the club.
You will regret it :):)

This is true. On the upside, I'm not ginger

From 2nd of January Nikon lenses go up by 30% :eek: in Europe & Asia.

Sigma price increase between 9-28% :eek:

Again??? :mad::mad::mad:

Looks like I'll be having to make do with the lenses I have then as I'm struggling to justify the price of lenses as they are now after the recent increase, let alone going up again. And but such a large amount :(

Last edited:
Again??? :mad::mad::mad:

Looks like I'll be having to make do with the lenses I have then as I'm struggling to justify the price of lenses as they are now after the recent increase, let alone going up again. And but such a large amount :(

It's a mental increase I was gonna pick up the new 70-200 in the new year but at current price plus 30% no thanks.

I keep being tempted by a 85mm, now might be the time to buy one for myself for Christmas before the prices go up.

Kin ell, that's crazy.
They think togs are made of money.

From camerapricebuster the 85mm 1.8G was 322£ a year ago, in the last 3 months the best price was 368£, today it's at 399! If you add 30% to that, the best of 3 months became 478£ and today became 518£!!!
From 320£ to 500£ in a bit more than a year, that is painful!

Lol yes a bit like when bitcoins went crazy!

I bought my d750 early January from here (second hand with 3000 actuation) for 925£... First time digital equipment i buy kept its value!

From camerapricebuster the 85mm 1.8G was 322£ a year ago, in the last 3 months the best price was 368£, today it's at 399! If you add 30% to that, the best of 3 months became 478£ and today became 518£!!!
From 320£ to 500£ in a bit more than a year, that is painful!

I have a 24-120 f4 that I'm thinking of selling on (I've up it up once already). I've just checked CPB, it was £600 in January and currently its £800. That's a 30% increase in the last year without an additional 30% expected in January. I'm not in a rush to sell and I may reconsider considering as I'm unlikely to be able to rebuy at a similiar price to what I paid for it.

Prices are crazy at present. I've just pulled the trigger on a f stop sukha from the paramo eBay store as they have stock avaible for delivery within a week and around £30-40 cheaper than the f stop Euro web store. With f stops Euro web site being more expensive after currency conversion (plus bank fee) and delivery than paramos U.K. eBay, no crazy several month wait and prices likely to be even more expensive in the new year I thought it was best to plan ahead and just go for it as it's something I've thought about for a while.

The only problem with the current currency conversion rate is I've always paid for my zenfolio website in euros as they have always charged the same number of euros and pounds even though the currency rate is different. It made things a little cheaper and there wasn't any different in the website function. I asked zenfolio why they charged like this never found out why.

Last edited:
I have a 24-120 f4 that I'm thinking of selling on. I've just checked CPB, it was £600 in January and currently its £800. That's a 30% increase in the last year without an additional 30% expected in January. I'm not in a rush to sell and I may reconsider considering as I'm unlikely to be able to rebuy at a similiar price to what I paid.
£800 for the 24-120????? :eek: I really like mine but I'd never pay £800 for it. 30% increase means it'll be over a grand which is beyond ludicrous o_O

I have the older 50mm 1.8 d nikon lens am I going to gain much more iq or advantage going for a newer nikon version?

I have the older 50mm 1.8 d nikon lens am I going to gain much more iq or advantage going for a newer nikon version?
If you believe/take much from tests like this then the D apparently is sharper

https://www.dxomark.com/Lenses/Comp...kkor-50mm-F18G-on-Nikon-D750__177_975_435_975

But they will render images differently due to different designs and different coatings. From my experience the G lenses tend to be more clinical and D lenses have a warmer quality, obviously YMMV. I'm not sure about AF speed. I would have thought the G lens is less prone to flare and has better contrast when shooting backlit scenarios. I had the G lens and for the money it's very good, although it is soft up to about f2.8.

If you believe/take much from tests like this then the D apparently is sharper

https://www.dxomark.com/Lenses/Comp...kkor-50mm-F18G-on-Nikon-D750__177_975_435_975

But they will render images differently due to different designs and different coatings. From my experience the G lenses tend to be more clinical and D lenses have a warmer quality, obviously YMMV. I'm not sure about AF speed. I would have thought the G lens is less prone to flare and has better contrast when shooting backlit scenarios. I had the G lens and for the money it's very good, although it is soft up to about f2.8.

I did think i was going made and thought the pictures even on the cameras lcd looked warmer.

So realistically ill just stay with what i have seeing as it only cost me £30 quid a couple of years ago. Ill just decided on the 24 or 35 mm art lens then.

Cheers sir

zara 1 by Mark Kingston, on Flickr

she is here, meet zara

Good excuse to use the 85mm, shame the weather is carp her today
Lovely.. sadly the puppy we got that i posted a few pages back had to be returned after a week :( my daughter has a lot off allergies and found out she was allergic to his saliva.

Was heart breaking and i cried like a big girl. Been wanting another dog for years and finaly the wife allowed, would have been cheaper and easier to move on the child but the wife wasnt having it[emoji15]

Lovely.. sadly the puppy we got that i posted a few pages back had to be returned after a week :( my daughter has a lot off allergies and found out she was allergic to his saliva.

Was heart breaking and i cried like a big girl. Been wanting another dog for years and finaly the wife allowed, would have been cheaper and easier to move on the child but the wife wasnt having it[emoji15]
Sorry to hear must have been terrible.

Nikon 50mm is now averaging around £170, I'm sure mine was nearer £100 than £200 lol

I really enjoy the G version, but not used the D so can't be much help with that one!

I did think i was going made and thought the pictures even on the cameras lcd looked warmer.

So realistically ill just stay with what i have seeing as it only cost me £30 quid a couple of years ago. Ill just decided on the 24 or 35 mm art lens then.

Cheers sir

I have been trying the 24/28/35/50/85 with a group of friends over past 2 days to decide which ones we should all go for, Between us we have the complete set!

Last edited:
Nikon 50mm is now averaging around £170, I'm sure mine was nearer £100 than £200 lol
Last December CPB says it was £130. I seem to remember selling one for £105 on here earlier this year which was the going rate at the time. The fact is camera kit has gone up since a year ago and people haven't really noticed. I've been following f stop bag prices since the start of the year. It was about £30-50 cheaper to buy in euros from their European website earlier this year than from the UK paramo shop. They put their prices up at the start of the year and the pound drop in value has meant it now cheaper to buy from paramo UK by about £30-40. I can soon see paramo uk putting up their prices once they have to buy new stock in at the current exchange rate.

second hand prices will be going up soon too. I sold a 20mm f2.8 for what was a bargain price but I just wanted what I originally purchased it for and keep within the spirit of the TP classifieds.

Last edited:
zara 1 by Mark Kingston, on Flickr

she is here, meet zara

Good excuse to use the 85mm, shame the weather is carp her today

Sorry if I've missed it before but what sort of doggy is this? Almost looks like a Leonberger.

That's really sad news, sorry to hear that :(

58mm looks superb, if not a bit costly!

I am totally stuck on the 28/35 decision.

Love my 50mm and that staying. Don't enjoy the 85mm at all and never use it so that's that choice out the way.

I have a choice between the 28mm and 35mm to go with the 50mm.

The obvious choice is the 28/50 combo, it makes sense, they compliment each other and it seems the 'right thing to do'.

But having tested them both together the 28/35 don't seem a huge distance apart for what I shoot. From what I have read, the 35/50 are similar, but from my test shots they do seem quite a lot different!

So the dilemma is 35/50 or 28/50.

The obvious and natural choice is the 28/50 and it probably going to be most peoples choice if wanting a wider lens to go with the 50mm

I need to do some more shooting with the 28 and 35 together before I decide. My friend digs the 85 so I can either take the 35 or 28 in exchange.

I know that no one can really answer this dilemma for me and I believe 99% of people will go 28mm.

Both lenses are pretty similar. Weight is about the same, they are the same width too. The 35mm has a smaller filter thread due to the front element being smaller. The 28mm is about 9mm longer, and both share the same 'g' build quality. On camera the 35mm does feel that little bit more compact due to the length. I'm not sure why the 28mm is so long. Canon make a much more compact 28mm!

I wish there was one clear winner here!!!

A little wander around to see how the Kenko 1.4 DGX-Pro works out on my 300D IF (non VR)
Swans head 2 by Graham, on Flickr

Back