Nikon D750 & D780

I have both

Love my d800 - superb for controlled lighting portraits and no slouch in low light. The d750 is better with AF and seems excellent in low light

The d800 has to be one of the best second hand buys IMHO.

I pretty much stole both of my D750s brand new. Helps that I live next door to a grey market shop, well, depending on how you look at it.

But if you had to choose .....?

I looked at both when buying a second camera for weddings, but just went with another D750 because it's a great all rounder and it's not as heavy as the D800.

But if I was shooting landscapes or predominantly studio work, then I might have gone the other way.

I would recommend trying both as the ergonomics are quite different. I much prefer the grip on the D750, but you might not. The flippy screen on the D750 is useful for landscapes too.

The 800 looks very similar to my 300 ergonomically ,and the 750
Seems a tad small
Which I'm not a fan of

Chin up and get out shooting.

Saying that I took mine out yesterday and took no shots whatsoever :oops: :$

I was planning on taking the d750 and 85mm out yesterday to dickins does Christmas but took the rx100 out instead. still didn't take a picture thou.
The venue and theme was as good as I thought it might be.

That Lions face says it all, Theres that man with that bloody DF again,,,
The meercat one is a corker, a typical pose.
I didn't see @minnnt anywhere ;) :p

Thanks (y)

I was planning on taking the d750 and 85mm out yesterday to dickins does Christmas but took the rx100 out instead. still didn't take a picture thou.
The venue and theme was as good as I thought it might be.

Ah we went Leeds Castle and it was too busy! Didn't help that little one was being very hard work.

24mm arrived today! Nice and light little lens - looking forward to giving it a try out at the weekend!

I was planning on going to see dickins does Christmas
Is this the English version to Debbie does Dallas [emoji15]
Sounds suspicious to me and I didn't know that a remake had been made [emoji14] [emoji14] [emoji14] [emoji14]

The 800 looks very similar to my 300 ergonomically ,and the 750
Seems a tad small
Which I'm not a fan of
Had a d800 then an E and moved to the d750 after all the praise it got.

Over all im happy enough with the d750. But to be honest I do miss my d800e. The af is better in the d750. Iso I've noticed very little difference and I was happy enough shooting 6400 on the d800e or higher(it took nr very well). Over all I've found little between the two bar the files being bigger and more detailed on the d800 and the body.
For me the body on the dx00 cameras are alot better. They feel better build and have a better layout. Its a tough one and think you would be happy with either as long as you get one without issue.. all 3 of mine had issues [emoji15]

Had a d800 then an E and moved to the d750 after all the praise it got.

Over all im happy enough with the d750. But to be honest I do miss my d800e. The af is better in the d750. Iso I've noticed very little difference and I was happy enough shooting 6400 on the d800e or higher(it took nr very well). Over all I've found little between the two bar the files being bigger and more detailed on the d800 and the body.
For me the body on the dx00 cameras are alot better. They feel better build and have a better layout. Its a tough one and think you would be happy with either as long as you get one without issue.. all 3 of mine had issues [emoji15]

Just shot a few frames tonight with the d800 and flash - prefer it in this scenario to the d750.

Gonna rock the 24/50 combo for a bit and see how it goes! going to order one of those flashes @minnnt recommend too!

So flash... Where to start? I don't mean what flash but what's the best way to learn about when, where and placement of flash? Or is it something you just experiment with and figure out?

All this talk of soft boxes etc... need help! Never really used flash work, not sure I will ever use a lot of flash work, but pretty sure it's something worth learning for those just in case moments.

So flash... Where to start? I don't mean what flash but what's the best way to learn about when, where and placement of flash? Or is it something you just experiment with and figure out?

All this talk of soft boxes etc... need help! Never really used flash work, not sure I will ever use a lot of flash work, but pretty sure it's something worth learning for those just in case moments.

Are you talking about controlled studio scenarios or out and about/weddings?

I just experimented/reading/posting in here for crit!

Learning flash can really help, and it's a combination of learning and trial and error imo. I've been lucky in that my local camera store have had some free Nikon and Olympus courses that have covered basic lighting (amongst other things). Light modifiers (soft boxes, umbrellas, beauty dishes etc) are used to soften the light. They give slightly different results, come in different shapes and sizes and can be used in isolation, or in combination with other light modifiers, flashes and reflectors to give the desired results. As for positioning, it again depends on the result you want.

Also, there's bounced flash which generally gives a nice soft light but you don't have as much control over direction, and it's only a single light source.

Understanding flash photography by Bryan Peterson gives some useful info imo, especially for on camera flash use.

This is a useful quick reference guide to different lighting setups

Free_portrait_lighting_poster.jpg

Link to the full size file here
https://www.dropbox.com/s/5zavez06mm7064m/Free_portrait_lighting_poster.jpg?dl=0

Are you talking about controlled studio scenarios or out and about/weddings?

I just experimented/reading/posting in here for crit!

Not studio - just aout and about! Was due to do a friends wedding in January so was looking to get some practice in... but its just been cancelled! Oops!

Learning flash can really help, and it's a combination of learning and trial and error imo. I've been lucky in that my local camera store have had some free Nikon and Olympus courses that have covered basic lighting (amongst other things). Light modifiers (soft boxes, umbrellas, beauty dishes etc) are used to soften the light. They give slightly different results, come in different shapes and sizes and can be used in isolation, or in combination with other light modifiers, flashes and reflectors to give the desired results. As for positioning, it again depends on the result you want.

Also, there's bounced flash which generally gives a nice soft light but you don't have as much control over direction, and it's only a single light source.

Understanding flash photography by Bryan Peterson gives some useful info imo, especially for on camera flash use.

This is a useful quick reference guide to different lighting setups

View attachment 91308

Link to the full size file here
https://www.dropbox.com/s/5zavez06mm7064m/Free_portrait_lighting_poster.jpg?dl=0

Thanks!

Everything you're ever likely to need, and more, here.

http://strobist.blogspot.co.uk/2006/02/welcome-to-strobist.html

Thank you!

Not studio - just aout and about! Was due to do a friends wedding in January so was looking to get some practice in... but its just been cancelled! Oops!
Then I would definitely recommend the Understanding Flash Photography book by Bryan Peterson I mentioned previously.

Well that's the laptop problem sorted then.

Time for some new lenses now then. What to get this is the question.

I really want the sigma f1.4 art, but used the 85 f1.8g stopped down with some lights - bloody awesome.

I'm going to hold off for a while!

I really want the sigma f1.4 art, but used the 85 f1.8g stopped down with some lights - bloody awesome.

I'm going to hold off for a while!
I have nikon 85 and love it.
Might get either the 24 or 35 1.4 art.
Not a lot else I need to be honest

I have an irrational desire to sell my D700 and buy a D750. Happened earlier in the year as well, but an unusually well paid commission came along and I bought a D810 instead as the ergonomics suited me better i.e. Closer to the D700.
But a mate made me an offer on the D700, and although he's rescinded it, my head has been turned and I quite fancy a 750 to use alongside the 810.
So, from a performance perspective how does it compare to the D700 and D810? I've tried one in a shop so I know it's smaller and the controls are arranged differently, but what about everything else?

I have an irrational desire to sell my D700 and buy a D750. Happened earlier in the year as well, but an unusually well paid commission came along and I bought a D810 instead as the ergonomics suited me better i.e. Closer to the D700.
But a mate made me an offer on the D700, and although he's rescinded it, my head has been turned and I quite fancy a 750 to use alongside the 810.
So, from a performance perspective how does it compare to the D700 and D810? I've tried one in a shop so I know it's smaller and the controls are arranged differently, but what about everything else?
It has better noise handling and better AF than both, although only marginal over the D810. Most people coming from the D700 or D8xx series complain about the build of the D750 but I've got no complaints in this dept and can't say that when I've tried the D810 or D800 they felt noticeably more solid TBH. I much prefer the grip of the D750, in fact it was this one thing that prevented me from swapping my D750 for the D810 recently. This is obviously down to the individual though.

The flippy screen is really useful for landscapes (as well as other stuff). Obviously it sits in between the two in regards to sensor resolution, although unfortunately it does have an aa filter.

So, from a performance perspective how does it compare to the D700 and D810?

I found trying to use a D700 and a D750 side by side was distracting because of the different control layout. So I got a second D750. If the 810 is your main camera then the handling differences might be a problem.

Back