Nikon D750 & D780

@rookies just buy the 2.8 version.

I love my F4 version, but you seem to be buying it for the wrong reasons.

I'm still going through my Puffin imagines from my 2016 stay. Here's some I've recently uploaded onto flickr.

Puffin Preening
by Rob Cain, on Flickr

Puffin Closer Up
by Rob Cain, on Flickr

Atlantic Puffin- Colour
by Rob Cain, on Flickr

For @rookies, all taken with the D750 and 70-200 f2.8 VR2 with 1.4 Mk2 TC.

And for comparison, taken with the 70-200 f4 the year before:

Skomer Island Puffin
by Rob Cain, on Flickr

Puffin at Sunset
by Rob Cain, on Flickr

Puffin Portrait
by Rob Cain, on Flickr

It reminds me that the f4 is a great lens and that its not all about equipment! Light and location are much more important than the difference between the f2.8 VR2 and f4 lenses.

Last edited:
But sometime I use it in low lights sometime you dont have the choice of lights if you planning to go on a day trip you may been the 2.8??

Buy the 2.8. If you are choosing the F4 because it's cheaper, then you probably still want the 2.8.

I didn't buy the F4 because of price, I bought it out of personal choice and I could have probably afforded the 2.8, but didn't want it.

You must know which one you REALLY want. You had the 2.8 before right?

What didn't you like about it?

I'm still going through my Puffin imagines from my 2016 stay. Here's some I've recently uploaded onto flickr.

Puffin Preening
by Rob Cain, on Flickr

Puffin Closer Up
by Rob Cain, on Flickr

Atlantic Puffin- Colour
by Rob Cain, on Flickr

For @rookies, all taken with the D750 and 70-200 f2.8 VR2 with 1.4 Mk3 TC.

Skomer Island Puffin
by Rob Cain, on Flickr

Puffin at Sunset
by Rob Cain, on Flickr

Puffin Portrait
by Rob Cain, on Flickr

It reminds me that the f4 is a great lens and that its not all about equipment! Light and location are much more important than the difference between the f2.8 VR2 and f4 lenses.
Superb. Particularly like the first, looks very coy ;)

I want to photograph puffins. Which I think I've said.
Defo on the to do list this year. Just a shame they are miles away

they couldn't be further away for me if they tried! A 2 night stay on Skomer means two days for travelling and an extra overnight stay nearby to be there in time for the early boat. Booking 10 months in advance is bit of a gamble with the weather forecast.

I went up to Bempton Cliffs hoping to take shots like Rob's, but unfortunately Bempton is very different to Skomer and you're not amongst them like I thought they'd be. They're on the cliffs below you, and unless you're very lucky they're not that close :(

they couldn't be further away for me if they tried! A 2 night stay on Skomer means two days for travelling and an extra overnight stay nearby to be there in time for the early boat. Booking 10 months in advance is bit of a gamble with the weather forecast.
Looking at your profile we are roughly about the same distance. So i would be in a similar boat no pun intended.
Guess they may have to wait another year.

So WEX have said I can return my Tenba bag and PX/exchange it for another bag.

Think I might go with what was my 2nd choice at the time of purchase and get the Retrospective 7.

So WEX have said I can return my Tenba bag and PX/exchange it for another bag.

Think I might go with what was my 2nd choice at the time of purchase and get the Retrospective 7.

Which Tenba did you have as I was looking at those a few weeks back... Ive the Retrospective at the moment lovely bag but fancy a change as this can be a pain sometime I've had it since realease :)

Last edited:
Wait. What...... Dare I ask? ;)

Ok. I'll be the sucker then.... What's the issue with the Tenba? I know we don't have the exact same Tenba bag, but so far I've been really happy with mine, with d7000 and/or d750'and lenses in it. Big enough, strong enough, well made, water repellent enough, nothing bad to say about it.

Found it interesting looking back at how I shot the wedding. I knew it was a tight venue and so I didn't stick to my 35/85 game plan inside, opted for the 24-70 & 35. Now I seem to have a slight block with 24mm but do have an itch to get more aquainted with the FL. Some of the images I took ended up wide and just got in close, such as this one at 28mm:

31771573030_267b737e40_b.jpg

But I do like this one of them leaving at 24mm:

31336397773_b632d1602a_b.jpg

I've also been looking at the 58 again this week... but I could do with saving for a mbp. Finally, some GAS... it's been a while :)

It's funny how I ended up so wide. I can see where, subconsciously, I default to 35mm in general as that is where I have become more comfortable but clearly there are times I have just gone wide, without thinking about it.

Last edited:
Wait. What...... Dare I ask? ;)

Ok. I'll be the sucker then.... What's the issue with the Tenba? I know we don't have the exact same Tenba bag, but so far I've been really happy with mine, with d7000 and/or d750'and lenses in it. Big enough, strong enough, well made, water repellent enough, nothing bad to say about it.

Which one is it pls

DNA 11. It's a nice bag but the Stitching on the top zipper section is starting to come away after only using the bag for a couple of trips out.

It may just be a one off, as there doesn't appear to be any other issues.

I have the option to replace it or get credit as it's over 30 days old.

@siblingchris which one have you got?

Last edited:
DNA 11. It's a nice bag but the Stitching on the top zipper section is starting to come away after only using the bag for a couple of trips out.

have a look at the Tenba Cooper Collection, not the thickest padding but well put together, they are almost the tenba version of the retro

Puffin Preening
by Rob Cain, on Flickr

Puffin Closer Up
by Rob Cain, on Flickr

Atlantic Puffin- Colour
by Rob Cain, on Flickr

For @rookies, all taken with the D750 and 70-200 f2.8 VR2 with 1.4 Mk3 TC.

Skomer Island Puffin
by Rob Cain, on Flickr

Puffin at Sunset
by Rob Cain, on Flickr

Puffin Portrait
by Rob Cain, on Flickr

Rob I notice that some of these are shot at 230 and 250mm so assume you're using a TC with the 70-200mm. Which TC and how do you find performance in terms of AF and reduction in IQ?

JJ
Did you see the post- assume its genuine - from Tenba

Sorry to hear you had an issue. We use the finest materials and hardware to build our bags, but even the best components occasionally fail. We'd be happy to replace your bag. Just DM me.

Peter
Tenba

https://www.talkphotography.co.uk/threads/i-thought-i-had-reached-camera-bag-nirvana-but.613261/

Before I send the D750 in:

Nikon - Yeah, that repair is taking about 7 days at the moment.

Send it in.

Wait.

A week later call up

Nikon - Someone is due to look at it end of this week, start of next, and then the repair will take 10 days.

FFS Nikon.

How will the repair take 10 days- unles they know they will be waiting for replacement parts to be delivered. Bl hopeless

Before I send the D750 in:

Nikon - Yeah, that repair is taking about 7 days at the moment.

Send it in.

Wait.

A week later call up

Nikon - Someone is due to look at it end of this week, start of next, and then the repair will take 10 days.

FFS Nikon.

Lols. Don't forget to factor in the time needed to send it back a few times to put it right afterwards... :D

He only sent one message in total on here wonder how he knew you posted

Probably an alert for new google results containing their company name.

I have to say, I have a Tenba bag, and I'm very happy with it

I did see that message from tenba but was a bit dubious about it as it was just a single post.

I have spoken to Tenba direct (well the UK supplier) and they will replace it under warranty but so will WEX so its either or.

The DNA is a nice enough bag, but I do somethimes think the materials are a little thin. The Cooper is a much nicer and seems to be better materials too - but its double the price so guess that is why!

Might have just been unlucky with the DNA!

I did see that message from tenba but was a bit dubious about it as it was just a single post.

I have spoken to Tenba direct (well the UK supplier) and they will replace it under warranty but so will WEX so its either or.

The DNA is a nice enough bag, but I do somethimes think the materials are a little thin. The Cooper is a much nicer and seems to be better materials too - but its double the price so guess that is why!

Might have just been unlucky with the DNA!

I can't remember what model mine is tbh, I think they changed names, I have a feeling it was just called the Large Messenger or something boring.

Rob I notice that some of these are shot at 230 and 250mm so assume you're using a TC with the 70-200mm. Which TC and how do you find performance in terms of AF and reduction in IQ?
Its the mk2 1.4 nikon teleconverter (TC-14EII). I've had this teleconverter for several years, I've seen no need to replace it with the latest version. AF and IQ seem ok to me.

They can also be seen on the east coast of Anglesey, if you live that way on, though possibly not as many as Skoner

what sort of lens length is needed for good captures, are they reasonably close?
On Skomer they are literally right in front of you within 1-2m (lens minimum focus can be problematic), and sometimes stand on you if your not careful. I find a 70-200 is perfect on Skomer. Last year I tried the 70-200 with 1.4TC because I didn't want to repeat too many of the same images I took the previous year, and wanted to try some half body portraits. All of my images have been taken lying down on the path, which isn't a problem when staying as there is likely to be only 8-10 photographers max. During day trips lying on the path isn't possible as there is usually 250 day visitors and everyone visits the wick. The path is quite narrow, probably 0.5m-1m and has burrows either side. The path is roped off either side too. The Puffins are on around on the grass areas either side of the path so pretty close.

The below pano gives you an idea of the wick. It was taken at midday on a Monday when the island is closed to day visitors. I took at I thought its quite a are sight seeing the wick empty at midday at the end of June. There could be 50+ people in this small area during the other days.

The Wick
by Rob Cain, on Flickr

Last edited:
If you go to this page - http://www.tenba.com/uk/collections/messenger.aspx

Mine's the big orange one at the back of the pic of all the bags, but doesn't look like they do it anymore.

TBH, I'm thinking about switching to a backpack for weddings

I think I'd be looking at the thinktank roller type for ease of dumping in a corner. Do you use harnesses with two bodies Andy.

I might even get one myself at some point as can store everything in it. It's possibly the only style of bag I haven't had yet.

On Skomer they are literally right in front of you within 1-2m (lens minimum focus can be problematic), and sometimes stand on you if your not careful. I find a 70-200 is perfect on Skomer. Last year I tried the 70-200 with 1.4TC because I didn't want to repeat too many of the same images I took the previous year, and wanted to try some half body portraits. All of my images have been taken lying down on the path, which isn't a problem when staying as there is likely to be only 8-10 photographers max. During day trips lying on the path isn't possible as there is usually 250 day visitors and everyone visits the wick. The path is quite narrow, probably 0.5m-1m and has burrows either side. The path is roped off either side too. The Puffins are on around on the grass areas either side of the path so pretty close.

The below pano gives you an idea of the wick. This pano was taken at midday on a Monday when the island is closed to day visitors. There could be 50+ people in this small area during the other days.

The Wick
by Rob Cain, on Flickr
thank you mate, i will get out there one of these days........

Back