Nikon D750 & D780

Harrisons had one for £74 the other week. camera jungle sell for £125. So probably looking at around £80-90 - i'm in no rush now as i have the 50mm 1.8 coming
Mark,

When do you get you camera or do you already have it?

Yeh ill grab the 28-105 too, just waiting for a cheap(ish) one to come up.

I had the 28-105. Nice lens and has a useful macro function as well. I sold it to buy the 24-85 VR. That 4mm extra on wide side is great for travel photography although you loose a bit on the long end but the 24-85 VR is a better lens overall.

The 28-105 is also cracking but I found, colour, rendition, uniformity, contrast and flare control much better on the 24-85VR. The 24-85 VR is also a better casual portrait lens in comparison.

Here's a link to my 28-105 Album if you are interested to see some shots. My fav one below

Hallsatt
by Anirban Acharya, on Flickr

Last edited:
I had the 28-105. Nice lens and has a useful macro function as well. I sold it to buy the 24-85 VR. That 4mm extra on wide side is great for travel photography although you loose a bit on the long end but the 24-85 VR is a better lens overall.

The 28-105 is also cracking but I found, colour, rendition, uniformity, contrast and flare control much better on the 24-85VR. The 24-85 VR is also a better casual portrait lens in comparison.

Agreed the 24-85 is the better lens. But I doubt you'll find one for £74. :D

Mark,

When do you get you camera or do you already have it?
Erm, i apparently get it tomorrow.

Although i'm a bit skeptical. It got shipped from Hong Kong yesterday, and apparently will be with me by end of the day tomorrow according to the tracking. Seems a bit too good to be true.

@anibap - great images!

@Ed Sutton - oh you have one you were looking to sell?

Last edited:
@Ed Sutton - oh you have one you were looking to sell?

Only half looking to sell really. For what I'm likely to get for it I might as well hang on. If you can run to the 24-85VR it is a much better lens. The VR is worth having IMO.

Only half looking to sell really. For what I'm likely to get for it I might as well hang on. If you can run to the 24-85VR it is a much better lens. The VR is worth having IMO.
@Ed Sutton - what would you be looking to sell it for?

I did come across the 24-85 (assume you're refering to the f3.5-4.5) in my search for lenses, think it was a froknowsphoto video that said it was a bit pants (slow auto focus if i remember).

EDIT: yup this was the video i saw -
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C2E90I3qWN8

I did come across the 24-85 (assume you're refering to the f3.5-4.5) in my search for lenses, think it was a froknowsphoto video that said it was a bit pants (slow auto focus if i remember).

The 24-85 is snappier to focus than the 28-105.

TBH I'm not that bothered about selling the 28-105. But if you can't find one soon I canput it in the classifieds here.

... and just like that my tracking information now says "unavailable" . Delay: Severe weather....

Check the forecast in HK... 24 degrees, 6mph winds....:(
Who have you ordered it from? Is it Panamoz?

I tend not to listen to this guy too much. His opinions are not always that great.

24-85 VR (newest version) is an excellent little lens. I might get another myself!

Lols. As an actual user of this lens, I can say it's a forgotten hero. It really punches above it's measley price tag.

My mates borrowing my 28/50 this weekend and lending me his 24-70 VR - my god its a beast!! I thought the non VR was hefty!

My mates borrowing my 28/50 this weekend and lending me his 24-70 VR - my god its a beast!! I thought the non VR was hefty!

Be interesting hear your though

Be interesting hear your though

Its bigger and heavier but you can feel the difference in materials - the metal on the old one feels cold and solid... the new one feels like most modern Nikon lenses!

Until recently when using curves in LR I could add markers to the curve without making adjustments and then grap the markers and move them around. However, since a recent upgrade (maybe a couple of months ago) unless I place the cursor absolutely 100% accurately on the line when I add a marker it also moves the curve at the same time. Has anyone else noticed this and no if there's a way to put it back to how it used to be?

Edit: Ignore, can now do it holding option key first.

Last edited:

Here's a link to my 28-105 Album if you are interested to see some shots. My fav one below

Hallsatt
Very nice Ani. I thought it was soft at first, but viewing on Flickr looks spot on (y)

Stumbled across something on canon review (must of been a few weeks ago). They stated that they had issues with focusing and had to fine tune the focusing in the camera. Anyone had to do this on the d750 with any lenses?

Just wondering if it's a common thing or not.

Hallsatt

That's lovely Ani, you certainly are 'well travelled'!

D750 Recall.

Apparently mine will be back with me on Monday. Is there anything I should be looking out for, anyone had any issues?
Which recall, shutter shading or flare issue? When mine went back for the flare issue (first recall) it came back with AF issues that they never rectified and I ended up getting a replacement. No issues with the shutter recall.

Stumbled across something on canon review (must of been a few weeks ago). They stated that they had issues with focusing and had to fine tune the focusing in the camera. Anyone had to do this on the d750 with any lenses?

Just wondering if it's a common thing or not.
As I alluded to before (can't remember if it was here or AVF) DSLRs have tolerances in AF (within 1/3 of the depth of focus or something like that) so if you take 5 shots from a tripod you 'may' see that focus shifts minutely between shots. This is not a focussing error and should not be corrected. However, sometimes they can consistently front or back focus and will vary between lens and camera combos, so one lens may be spot on on one camera and not on another.

On my first D750 all my lenses needed some form of small fine tune, however after it was returned from the first recall it was a nightmare and needed massive fine tune, and the faster the lens the more fine tune it needed. On my new D750 none of my lenses need any fine tuning.

Don't go looking for issues as you will find them, whether there or not. However, if you're consistently not getting results that you would expect then it's worth checking.

Saw that earlier. I be seeing how it is and when it mature I reckon I get one
It'll be a while before I can afford it, can't see it being under £3k. Will want to see what sensor performance is like too. Talking of which, if it is a 42mp sensor and it has the option to use a 24mp FX mode would the 24mp file show less noise, i.e. like the 42mp file downsampled or would it show the same level of noise as the 42mp file before downsampling?

It'll be a while before I can afford it, can't see it being under £3k. Will want to see what sensor performance is like too. Talking of which, if it is a 42mp sensor and it has the option to use a 24mp FX mode would the 24mp file show less noise, i.e. like the 42mp file downsampled or would it show the same level of noise as the 42mp file before downsampling?

I guess you will have to get one and get that lab coat out and report back [emoji1303]

It be next year till I get one though

Which recall, shutter shading or flare issue? When mine went back for the flare issue (first recall) it came back with AF issues that they never rectified and I ended up getting a replacement. No issues with the shutter recall.

It's had these fitted;
Parts Fitted
115K9 SIDE RUBBER UNIT 1 0.00 0.00
115KH REAR RUBBER UNIT 1 0.00 0.00
115KB GRIP UNIT 1 0.00 0.00
111HY SHUTTER PLATE UNIT 1 0.00 0.00

And "
as a gesture of goodwill, a Nikon engineer has carried out a free full service,
including a thorough sensor clean and we hope that you will now be able to continue enjoying your D750.
Firmware upgrade to the latest version
Clean and check Image Sensor unit.
Check, test and clean equipment" :)

So can I trust all will be well?

It's had these fitted;
Parts Fitted
115K9 SIDE RUBBER UNIT 1 0.00 0.00
115KH REAR RUBBER UNIT 1 0.00 0.00
115KB GRIP UNIT 1 0.00 0.00
111HY SHUTTER PLATE UNIT 1 0.00 0.00

And "
as a gesture of goodwill, a Nikon engineer has carried out a free full service,
including a thorough sensor clean and we hope that you will now be able to continue enjoying your D750.
Firmware upgrade to the latest version
Clean and check Image Sensor unit.
Check, test and clean equipment" :)

So can I trust all will be well?
No reason to think it shouldn't be. That's the shutter recall that you've had and there's no reason that that would affect the AF system.

Back