Nikon D750 & D780

I moved from an EM5 Mk1 to a D750. I still miss the EVF but that's the only major downside. The super shallow DoF available takes a little getting used to - I'd suggest holding off on the 1.4 until you know you need it - get the much cheaper Nikon 50mm 1.8G instead?

I've got the Tamron 24-70 f2.8 among other things. It's a superb lens but I almost never use it at f2.8 - if I want a shallow DoF I use a prime. The Nikon 24-120 f4 would have been a better buy for me.

Thanks Juggler. Having had a bit of time to think about it, I agree with you and think I'm going to hold off from getting the 1.4 and go with the Nikon 24-120 for now. I want to see how my old Nikkor 50mm 1.4 holds up on the d750 and if it gets me similar results to what I'd like the Sigma lens to do then I'd just stick with that. Also a little tempted by the Nikon 18-35 f3.5.

Thanks Juggler. Having had a bit of time to think about it, I agree with you and think I'm going to hold off from getting the 1.4 and go with the Nikon 24-120 for now. I want to see how my old Nikkor 50mm 1.4 holds up on the d750 and if it gets me similar results to what I'd like the Sigma lens to do then I'd just stick with that. Also a little tempted by the Nikon 18-35 f3.5.
Make sure it's the G lens, the old D lens is a bit pants.

I bought a second hand Tamron 17-35 for not a lot of money. Nothing amazing but it does the job on the rare occasions I want I wide angle zoom.

Interesting before and after.. you can see the problem here..

33707013763_3c9ccc195d_b.jpg

34475451846_04222d9932_b.jpg

Nice processing seeing what the before and after looks like. Like the way you almost blended the light patch.
My only criticism would be the saturation on pink but works for pictures with kids so not much to complain actually.

Nice processing seeing what the before and after looks like. Like the way you almost blended the light patch.
My only criticism would be the saturation on pink but works for pictures with kids so not much to complain actually.

Needs a little more on the face I think yet. But thanks, you're probably right about the pink saturation, I'll drop that a bit too.

So just ordered by d750 - excited.

What camera bag are you guys (and girls) rocking?

Wanting something not too bulky for days out.

Problems with bags is, one is not enough [emoji51].

What type do you prefer, shoulder or back pack style?

Exciting indeed.

I use one of these if I've got the camera with short zoom and can fit another smallish lens or flash
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B009GYIJ3Q/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&th=1

And one of these when I'm out doing landscapes or have my telephotos attached
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Lowepro-Fl...01866&sr=1-1&keywords=lowepro+flipside+400+aw

TBH though unless I'm out doing landscapes and need all my filters, tripod, shutter release etc the bag is only used for transportation, when I'm actually out and about I just have the camera on a peak design sling strap.

Very subjective. Best to go have a look at a few. As above, one doesn't do everything.

Exactly. I've got a LowePro Hatchpack 22 for big trips out, an Urban Reporter 350 for taking stuff back & forth to the studio and Tamrac something or other shoulder bag for more casual outings - but generally if I'm out with a camera then the camera isn't in a bag.

I have a Lowepro urban reporter 150 that's ideal for day to say stuff. I've still got to get a bag for all my kit for weddings.
The Urban Reporter 350 doesn't really offer quick access but I get the following in mine, if that helps

• body
  • 24-70
  • 70 -200
  • 17-35
  • Lightmeter
  • Batteries, cards, cables, filters, cleaners, colorchecker
  • Flashgun & flashbender
- it's fairly full.

The Urban Reporter 350 doesn't really offer quick access but I get the following in mine, if that helps

• body
  • 24-70
  • 70 -200
  • 17-35
  • Lightmeter
  • Batteries, cards, cables, filters, cleaners, colorchecker
  • Flashgun & flashbender
- it's fairly full.

Yeah I looked into these, they were £39 when I got my 150. Now they're nearer £80 of someone has them in stock.

Using a Tenba Cooper but not cheap at all! Got mine when they were on offer. Great bag with great features!

For the record, I have:

Lowepro stealth 400 to store most stuff and bigger assignments.

Lowepro 160AW for a 70-200 combo.

Think Tank Retrospective 7 - my favourite for a body and 2-3 primes, so the bag I use 95% of the time.

Think Tank holster for a body and medium lens combo.

I've actually been through many bags over the years and cut back to this. I do like the Think Tank bags but have used many brands.

Also been a bit of a bag whore over the years and I think the cooper 13 is my perfect set up closly followed by the retro 7!

Favourite bits of the Tenba is the near silent velcro, easy access top zipper which I thought might not be great but I used it a lot! The DNA 11 by Tenba is also very good and a lot cheaper.

Both hold my 2 primes and 70-200 whilst remaining quite compact.

Last edited:

Bags are very personal, I've tried a few bags over the years and finally settled. I prefer backpacks as they carry the weight well, I tried a shoulder bag but weight on one shoulder was a problem for me. After different bags I've settled with F stop, they are expensive and difficult to get but I like the ICU setup and outdoor backpack style that doesn't shout camera bag. Ive had a f stop tilopa BC for several years to carry the big wildlife stuff, 2 ICUs work well depending if I'm going to be out for landscapes or wildlife. I've recently picked up their smallest Guru UL as a day bag, that carries D750, 24-70 and 70-200 along with room for a 13 inch laptop (if needed) and filters inside the top. The problem with F stop is getting the stuff, there doesn't seem to be a UK stockist anymore but I've found CameraNU.nl to be a great place to be it from (delivery within 3 days from the Netherlands).

What does the Nikon AF-S 50mm f / 1.8G Lens for FX normally go for used? Can't seem to find any the mpb or wex website.. but found one which i think is cheap at £110?
That is cheap, assuming from a store and ingood condition with hood and preferably box. Usually go for £130 ish used now. (from stores). Good job you didn't post where you've seen it otherwise I might have beat you to it ;)

Last edited:
What does the Nikon AF-S 50mm f / 1.8G Lens for FX normally go for used? Can't seem to find any the mpb or wex website.. but found one which i think is cheap at £110?

Good price considering the prices they are new these days!

Very good price, thought you were looking for a 28-105?

With the d90 I had the old 50mm 1.8D and also had the 35mm 1.8, both were good, but when I bought the 17-50 f2.8 I found I was not using them.

Sold them and since then not bought any primes, prefer the zoom, I presume I am just lazy.

Very good price, thought you were looking for a 28-105?

With the d90 I had the old 50mm 1.8D and also had the 35mm 1.8, both were good, but when I bought the 17-50 f2.8 I found I was not using them.

Sold them and since then not bought any primes, prefer the zoom, I presume I am just lazy.

Yeh ill grab the 28-105 too, just waiting for a cheap(ish) one to come up. But really want a 50mm portrait lens and the 50mm 1.8 was going to be a 'buy' some way down the line.

Was that the sigma 17-50 or the tamaron?

Yeh ill grab the 28-105 too, just waiting for a cheap(ish) one to come up. But really want a 50mm portrait lens and the 50mm 1.8 was going to be a 'buy' some way down the line.

It is the Tamron 17-50. Have the Tamron 28-75 for the D750.

17-50mm's are DX lenses.

Is that the 50mm on FB?

I sold bought and sold one for £90 a year or so ago, then bought another for £90 about 2 months ago but seem to go for around £130 used.

Out of boredom, just tried out this smoke and mirrors magic that is wi-fi remote camera control via an iPad. Old news to you guys I know, but I'm like a kid with a magic toy... sat in the warmth with a Southern Comfort in one hand and snapping pictures with the other. (You can just about make out the camera in the garden at top of frame)

wifi bird.jpg

A bit cheaper than I was hoping. It can stay in the lens drawer. :( It still gets the occasional outing. :)

Back