Nikon D750 & D780

And you have fun with the AF? You may have just saved me some cash! In the back of my mind I’ve always done better AF wise with D lenses, whether the difference is there or not I don’t know but sometimes it’s definitely a placebo effect.

And you have fun with the AF? You may have just saved me some cash! In the back of my mind I’ve always done better AF wise with D lenses, whether the difference is there or not I don’t know but sometimes it’s definitely a placebo effect.

It’s my least used lens but not so bad that I don’t use it, otherwise I’d have gotten rid by now. My 35G & 58G are simply superb in terms of accuracy at all distances. It seems the 85 isn’t so good at closer working distances. Yet yesterday it nailed every shot in a couple of sequences of my 2 year old running straight at me on a couple of occasions. The 58 isn’t quick enough generally to do that!

It doesn’t seem to be AF cross-type dependent either, there’s no real logic to it. It could be just copy variation?

I’ll review the shots later that I took yesterday with it and give it some use over the next few weeks. I tend to get up close with my everyday subjects so dont use it so much, but have a few lifestyle shoots coming up where it will be used a lot. Certainly no problems with contrast though, is as good as anything I’ve used in that respect. Still, the 105 will get bought in the next year.

I know how you feel, what you’ve just described is what was happening with my Sigma 35. At times it was spot on, then others it was all over the place. No rhyme or reason and got to the point where I was losing confidence in it. Tried micro adjustment when the 750s turned up and they both had the same adjustment (-6 If I remember correctly) and it’s spot on now. I was shooting into the light at 1.4 yesterday and was still hitting it spot on. I’d forgotten just how nice it is!

I know how you feel, what you’ve just described is what was happening with my Sigma 35. At times it was spot on, then others it was all over the place. No rhyme or reason and got to the point where I was losing confidence in it. Tried micro adjustment when the 750s turned up and they both had the same adjustment (-6 If I remember correctly) and it’s spot on now. I was shooting into the light at 1.4 yesterday and was still hitting it spot on. I’d forgotten just how nice it is!

Just reviewed my images from yesterday and accuracy is poor, more noticeable as haven’t used it much lately. I did faff with MA values initially, it it’s not that. It’s strange in that it’s not the light either, it’s missed shots in good light at base ISO. There’s a sequence inside where the middle shot is ok but the two either side, not.

Going to have a play on the 610 body to see if it is the 750. Yet the other night for the family shoot I posted above, it was fine?? Might be the excuse needed to help fund a 105.

Is there anything else that could’ve at play? Obviously the group shot from the other day was a stationary subject, was the sequence a moving one did you say? Is it the AF speed that’s letting it down more than its accuracy?

Trying the 610 May be a good idea though just to rule the body out. Especially if you are getting a 105 then finding you’re having similar issues, that would be disheartening to say the least!

Is there anything else that could’ve at play? Obviously the group shot from the other day was a stationary subject, was the sequence a moving one did you say? Is it the AF speed that’s letting it down more than its accuracy?

Trying the 610 May be a good idea though just to rule the body out. Especially if you are getting a 105 then finding you’re having similar issues, that would be disheartening to say the least!

Nope, defo the lens. It misses with stationary shots, most from yesterday it seems. Always shoot people 1/250 or above so no movement, plainly AF inaccuracies. Wonder whether a service could help, I did buy it secondhand 3 years ago.

Did consider AF speed to lock on but I noticed it and made an effort to try different AF points etc.

Last edited:
I’ve been playing with the 85 today. For some reason the default fine tune was set at +11, I don’t ever recall doing that. Anyway, setting that to zero and settling on something new for the 85 has buggered everything else up, but I have faffed and got them back to somewhere very close. No shooting charts this time, just real world trials and error.

Why is it that when I take a series of shots with slightly different framings the best composition is always the only one where I miss focus? :mad:

This one is in focus. And for a superzoom it's not f2.8 zoom standard but not too bad on the detail front to my uncritical eyes.:)

uxti6GdpwJ01CkZ-yB5HObpmbeq0kvttITWPmOTT1PKff9tI9sBAyvn5G1LSKLGY_Szpg2tWEt2rQc42s90wUVFFjePDM2ptuB1wildUZIWhdG5QV2uf96zetgIRYTe-Ue__D52Otr6AzAuW5xODxnzX7ZI3s9513o5nrCAUAmwNvNRUE06ita1w4RMSelS2-bkguP0yWLqkevV92ClAFLituKK7GdU7wNEu6cKJtffqi0qTWDYrBTYOw2uR2Z_X9u1G8O-VO_CijGEhsPM1WTvV7n5v1cRp93A550y79673Z93Y_E6Tr7fYgT8qSA_Oj47OBwnpjbKkMQD9pu7AKUDOx-0UZnXjRoTTzy3fnBu8ms2iTSNlMBEaapkFDPdUwIkJPbqpYJSQ1-1RizD6thxdurMmsPQGD98g7kzBXZZYS_2FHDWlnLyQUpG4r0oobO8NErVsVY0oOrtWnewJQqBywtNfYXOlPPjXDlPuwuwgt1BuIIc5oF3W9SykBZ1MYC83LQUX-a5eZv2QY9mVRrqihNSdNHWaNxSyg1x_PKR6QTHulR1c70e3kFUsxzD-rmYSNsCK0K4G48WhzoXwJOXU-LJdKDpNkaDSHBjh=w516-h773-no

vUspjs9RE5oSrq65V0MIo2QuLet4fnHnbypIBgkMMss4nWmaMyz7TGMcmFaio7ArMW6Mq2wokF9PnTcJzo0oxojjcSd6Y6sGrPCjL2xZKhN5swsU85wHC1NpCq4sA7lE_mJKKv2N5EB9xIEKfpZFppuG57tXgV-Wra7gWH1MUpNUljvpfwPQ6zvc5PeLPKJCDjsKOQco3-TEjgenNyJbjPCECTa2nAYMnx-AHc0-LcvhK1inDkg7PneuT8_AokoM2uy4NEG1sLuqTjdvLDd42FPJeIT4kXBSigvkoBF91U06lBCxukvzji_14WI_RT67Eunq8cvSIcOH7M5gw4rmoJppUrQU7xgfAv-GIRmS7ThjYOVq7btQwTC_FtyLavNVxiURHspvDDjVxwxbhrmFLPbQlDjdbhNNxUHQ6pGbOwJZF40RiXZiRqCtmsCaWx3U5hXKme1B2FKkk9w7G68A0rG2EfXr17-p1ZJiMs-_f9oPDW6S_oPLmJmrFosWuXddJ8J44eYK9uw_VsccDxpicq3AJP_OoOS0adsD8x6ZTtzbaAji2qYVILQ6o9mhfW6oRXr57qqoDftLzRhLfpEFeAKyS6oNrChgy1y-s4Sw=w1056-h705-no

I believe you’re referring to Sod’s law Ed :LOL:

I’ve been playing with the 85 today. For some reason the default fine tune was set at +11, I don’t ever recall doing that. Anyway, setting that to zero and settling on something new for the 85 has buggered everything else up, but I have faffed and got them back to somewhere very close. No shooting charts this time, just real world trials and error.

So you’ve managed to sort it then? Did I read it right that you reset the +11 for the 85 and it reset for other lenses too?

Has anyone thought about the nikon 200mm F2 vr2, maybe a little pricey but I did read its à stonking lens although it does weigh nearly 3 kilos. I didn't know that they done a 200mm, it looks really nice on a D750.

So you’ve managed to sort it then? Did I read it right that you reset the +11 for the 85 and it reset for other lenses too?

Not completely sure yet that it is solved but seemed much better. I swear it does this too, as have had shoots where it's completely fine.

There's two changes in MA, a default setting which must act as a starting point. It's always been set to zero as far as I was concerned, but for some reason was set at +11. Still doesn't;t make complete sense as I deducted that from my values that I had written down and it wasn't right. I'll make an effort to use it this next couple of weeks in real world scenarios and see how it fares.If it plays up, I'll have it serviced. When it is right, it's a great lens..

41632229901_0a9f76c627_b.jpg

26764607587_726518af08_b.jpg

40921565534_05aa818ed5_b.jpg

41632679941_c95f96ce4c_b.jpg

Last edited:
Has anyone thought about the nikon 200mm F2 vr2, maybe a little pricey but I did read its à stonking lens although it does weigh nearly 3 kilos. I didn't know that they done a 200mm, it looks really nice on a D750.

It's THE dream lens G. Soooooo good, seriously big and heavy. But, it's the king of bokeh!

Last edited:
I don’t want to say I told you.... but you’ll
get used to it :)

So yes.. you are right!

Zoom position aside the 2.8e is just so good. The VRII was really good, but this lens is really really really good!

IMO it is sharper, better rendering, nicer colours and AF is a step up from the VRII. And the focus breathing issue has been solved.

The zoom ring does not feel as nice as the VRII but overall it is a better lens.

So yes.. you are right!

Zoom position aside the 2.8e is just so good. The VRII was really good, but this lens is really really really good!

IMO it is sharper, better rendering, nicer colours and AF is a step up from the VRII. And the focus breathing issue has been solved.

The zoom ring does not feel as nice as the VRII but overall it is a better lens.

Sounds awesome. I’d love one but 105 has to be my next lens.

@snerkler how is the 850 out of interest, noticed your marathon shots earlier.
I'm really impressed tbh, images need very little PP and the detail is great. The 9fps came in handy too. One thing I did notice (which has been reported on the D5) is that if the subject is quite small in the frame, is dark/in shadows and the background is very busy the AF can pick up the background rather than the subject. Very rare tbf, and I'm not sure if the D750 would have done the same (I got speaking to a guy with the D810 and he complained of his doing it) and it might have just been the conditions (shaded road with very bright busy background) as the last times I've done the marathon the weather's been a bit pants so not as much dark and light. But I thought it worth mentioning ;) At 9fps the odd missed shot isn't going to hurt ;)

But overall I'm very happy. I'm just going through the pics now for Arthritis research and I'm really happy with the detail and colours, very pleasing :)

I'm really impressed tbh, images need very little PP and the detail is great. The 9fps came in handy too. One thing I did notice (which has been reported on the D5) is that if the subject is quite small in the frame, is dark/in shadows and the background is very busy the AF can pick up the background rather than the subject. Very rare tbf, and I'm not sure if the D750 would have done the same (I got speaking to a guy with the D810 and he complained of his doing it) and it might have just been the conditions (shaded road with very bright busy background) as the last times I've done the marathon the weather's been a bit pants so not as much dark and light. But I thought it worth mentioning ;) At 9fps the odd missed shot isn't going to hurt ;)

But overall I'm very happy. I'm just going through the pics now for Arthritis research and I'm really happy with the detail and colours, very pleasing :)

Is the AF markedly better than the 750? How's the live view AF? Thanks for the info, interesting.

Is the AF markedly better than the 750? How's the live view AF? Thanks for the info, interesting.
Live view AF is as abysmal as ever. I don't think the D850's AF is markedly better tbh. Let's be honest, the D750's AF is already fantastic so how can it get massively better? ;) I do think AF is more reliable on the outer points than the D750, but that's to be expected due to the cross type sensors. I've not tried the D850 in low light yet, but overall it's not struck me as a noticeable difference. Maybe when I go back to using the D750 I'll see more of a difference. I certainly notice that the D750's viewfinder is smaller when I go back to it. I never found it small before, but it's certainly noticeably smaller than the D850, but then I guess this will be true of all Nikon DSLRs now ;)

Not been on for ages, so here's one from yesterday. My partners daughter . I know the PP will not be to every ones liking , but I like it. Taken with a 50mm f1.4

View attachment 124863
Really like this, nice tones and colour.

Finally! Spring has sprung; the warm weather has arrived with a vengeance. Beautiful day out so after mowing the lawn I wandered the neighbourhood to look at the cherry blossoms as our little subdivision has one street that is just full of multiflora cherry trees. However, I couldn't resist taking a photo of these tulips. They were just begging for someone to take their photo. :D

It's spring! by Paul, on Flickr

Last edited:
18-35 arriving today!

Been reading some articles on how to get more dramatic and stand out wide angle shots so let’s see how this goes!

Got myself a B+W protection filter for the 70-200 too. As filters go this one is damn good! Better than the Hoya HD one I had on the VR2.

Last edited:
18-35 arriving today!

Been reading some articles on how to get more dramatic and stand out wide angle shots so let’s see how this goes!

Got myself a B+W protection filter for the 70-200 too. As filters go this one is damn good! Better than the Hoya HD one I had on the VR2.
Nice one, I assume it’s the 18-35mm G? I’d be interested in reading those articles if you’d be kind enough to share the link please?

Nice one, I assume it’s the 18-35mm G? I’d be interested in reading those articles if you’d be kind enough to share the link please?

No problem! First one is quite good as gives you comparisons and how different a shot can look!

https://www.digitalphotomentor.com/...sing-a-wide-angle-lens-and-how-to-avoid-them/

https://improvephotography.com/33932/10-tips-shooting-wide-angle/

https://petapixel.com/2017/09/08/10-tips-using-extreme-wide-angle-lenses-landscape-photography/

Thanks for those. They actually made me feel pretty good about myself tbh as I apply a lot of that advice to my shots already, the only thing I haven't tried is the focus stacking but I intend on doing that with the D850 as it has an auto stacking feature (y)

Can someone give any info of best SD cards for the D750.. I understand it doesn't benefit from UHS-U3 and can only use U1. Are these cards ok? I want two the same.. and they are reasonably priced.

https://www.mymemory.co.uk/kingston-64gb-sd-card-sdxc-uhs-i-u3-90mb-s.html#reviews

Any other ones to consider?
I typically buy SanDisk ExtremePro - but I see they are twice the price of those. However for that price I'd go for SanDisk Ultra at £21.98 (from the same website)

Can someone give any info of best SD cards for the D750.. I understand it doesn't benefit from UHS-U3 and can only use U1. Are these cards ok? I want two the same.. and they are reasonably priced.

https://www.mymemory.co.uk/kingston-64gb-sd-card-sdxc-uhs-i-u3-90mb-s.html#reviews

Any other ones to consider?
Depends how you shoot. If you don't do burst shooting and therefore not going to fill the buffer up then pretty much any card will do. If you do burst shooting then a faster card should be better as the D750 doesn't have the biggest buffer. That being said, even with the Sandisk Extreme Pro 95mb/s it still slows to about 1 fps after the buffer is full (roughly 12 shots 14 bit lossless compressed RAW). Maybe this will help

http://bestphotographygear.com/best-memory-cards-nikon-d750/

18-35 G is a really wierd lens! It looks like it should be heavy, but when you pick it up it feels really light. You then think the build is going to be bad as its so light, but the zoom ring is quite stiff with no play!

18-35 G is a really wierd lens! It looks like it should be heavy, but when you pick it up it feels really light. You then think the build is going to be bad as its so light, but the zoom ring is quite stiff with no play!
Very light, doesn't feel pro built but the optics are very good.

Back