Nikon D750 & D780

Went to Donnington today for the BTCC... first time ever doing motorsports photography.

This is SooC (via iPad Photos) just cropped... not bad for first effort I think? D750 and Tamron SP 70-300 (G1).
Race 1 of BTCC at Donnington by Eloise, on Flickr

Quite a bit of frustration in places with the fencing but (especially if on the infield) still lots of opportunities for good views.

Hovering over a siggy 135, £850 at Panamoz is an awesome price. Really want the 105 but £500 more. Need something longer than my 85 for some portraits I have in mind.

This particular school has a few very small sky lights but they are that thick kind of yellow plastics. There is then 2 types of bulbs in the lights, half white and the other half yellow giving the whole place some sort of yellow hue!

Even then the light isn’t that bright.

Definitely think it needs some custom WB, so need to venture out of my auto wb zone!!!

Sounds tricky. Good luck!

Sounds tricky. Good luck!

Haha thanks! I think the misses is going to hire it out at some point so I can just spend the hour faffing with different settings!

There was a show photographer there so waiting for their pics to be uploaded too see how they got on with the light!

There was a show photographer there so waiting for their pics to be uploaded too see how they got on with the light!
With a bit of luck they'll be yellow!

Went to Donnington today for the BTCC... first time ever doing motorsports photography.

This is SooC (via iPad Photos) just cropped... not bad for first effort I think? D750 and Tamron SP 70-300 (G1).
Race 1 of BTCC at Donnington by Eloise, on Flickr

Quite a bit of frustration in places with the fencing but (especially if on the infield) still lots of opportunities for good views.
Yeah not bad. I like to see more movement in the cars though rather than them looking parked on the track, did you try any slower shutter pans?

I was going to go yesterday but the weather forecast put me off, but in the end it stayed dry :facepalm: I haven't watched the races yet so no spoilers please ;)

Weather depending I'll be going next weekend to the Historic Festival. As much as I like BTCC I do actually prefer the historic races for photos as I think the cars are more interesting (y)

Hovering over a siggy 135, £850 at Panamoz is an awesome price. Really want the 105 but £500 more. Need something longer than my 85 for some portraits I have in mind.
Have you tried e-infinity, warranty is pants compared to panamoz but they are a bit cheaper imo. Have you thought about a tokina 100 or if they do a longer one they would be a good choice.

Last edited:

Now now. Forum rules forbid the slagging off of people's work when they aren't here to defend themselves.

But those examples are a bit rubbish. :D

Last edited:
I can edit my post to make more un-slagging like but it's been quoted twice now! :ROFLMAO:
Doesn't bother me. I've already said the examples are pants!!

You are obviously not on tend. The frosted glass oof is all the rage at the min. In focus is so out of date. Sharpness was so last week

So they reckon that Nikon will be bringing in FX mirrorless in Spring 2019. I really hope they don't make it too small!!!

Something around the D7500 size would be perfect, keeping the same kind of grip etc.

Sony A7R3 was not great for me, so I hope they don't sacrifice the way it handles just to make it more compact.

So they reckon that Nikon will be bringing in FX mirrorless in Spring 2019. I really hope they don't make it too small!!!

Something around the D7500 size would be perfect, keeping the same kind of grip etc.

Sony A7R3 was not great for me, so I hope they don't sacrifice the way it handles just to make it more compact.
I've just responded to this in the Sony thread. I think Nikon have to bring out something pretty special off the bat, but I'm not sure they will/can going by how long Sony have taken to get something competitive. Things like Eye-AF don't bother me (although Sony fanboys will have a field day if Canikon don't have this feature ;)) but AF acquisition and tracking need to be spot on, and they really need to consider the ergonomics. I hope they don't copy the style of the A7. I know it's been successful, but arguably the biggest complaint by folk (including users) is the ergonomics. I've said it before, but a FF version of the EM1 body would be perfect. I don't mind if Nikon move the AF button from the front side but I wouldn't want to lose any other function. One thing Nikon trumps Sony for is the ability to change things on the fly without having to use menus.

What worries me is that what we want in the UK does seem to differ from the Japanese market sometimes, and I think that this could affect the ergonomics. That being said, what Nikon do is still a mystery to me sometimes ;)

I've just responded to this in the Sony thread. I think Nikon have to bring out something pretty special off the bat, but I'm not sure they will/can going by how long Sony have taken to get something competitive. Things like Eye-AF don't bother me (although Sony fanboys will have a field day if Canikon don't have this feature ;)) but AF acquisition and tracking need to be spot on, and they really need to consider the ergonomics. I hope they don't copy the style of the A7. I know it's been successful, but arguably the biggest complaint by folk (including users) is the ergonomics. I've said it before, but a FF version of the EM1 body would be perfect. I don't mind if Nikon move the AF button from the front side but I wouldn't want to lose any other function. One thing Nikon trumps Sony for is the ability to change things on the fly without having to use menus.

What worries me is that what we want in the UK does seem to differ from the Japanese market sometimes, and I think that this could affect the ergonomics. That being said, what Nikon do is still a mystery to me sometimes ;)

D750 was just a breeze to use this weekend and its amazing how much detail you can recover in LR (something I have never really tried!). I'm now not in any rush to sell. I have adapted to the 70-200e pretty quickly. Didn't grab the focus ring once or knock it accidently at all!

D750 was just a breeze to use this weekend and its amazing how much detail you can recover in LR (something I have never really tried!). I'm now not in any rush to sell. I have adapted to the 70-200e pretty quickly. Didn't grab the focus ring once or knock it accidently at all!
Cool. When I think about it my Tamron has the focus ring the 'wrong way round' and it doesn't bother me tbh.

Nikon's recovery in post is fantastic. Shadow recovery gets all the glory, but I think highlight recovery is pretty impressive too.

I do think both of us would have regretted the move to Sony tbh. I'm really happy with the D850, had notification my replacement has arrived today (y)

I got some GAS so i`m going to get (more for the macro and vulture shots) a D500 from Panamoz, only got one little problem paying for it atm but that should be sorted soon.
And i`ll get a SD card from Panamoz also as I think their prices are good.

Cool. When I think about it my Tamron has the focus ring the 'wrong way round' and it doesn't bother me tbh.

Nikon's recovery in post is fantastic. Shadow recovery gets all the glory, but I think highlight recovery is pretty impressive too.

Never used LR in anger before but was quite interesting really! Just went to develop and pretty much played with all the sliders on the right to see what did what!

I got some GAS so i`m going to get (more for the macro and vulture shots) a D500 from Panamoz, only got one little problem paying for it atm but that should be sorted soon.
And i`ll get a SD card from Panamoz also as I think their prices are good.
I didn't even know Panamoz did SD cards? I can't find them on the site

Why don't you just get the D850 instead and have one camera? ;)

I didn't even know Panamoz did SD cards? I can't find them on the site

Why don't you just get the D850 instead and have one camera? ;)
I could get a D850 and to be greedy a D500 as well :D but I just dont want atm.
When you look on the page of the camera you want, under the photos of the camera is a list of SD cards, filters or whatever.

Never used LR in anger before but was quite interesting really! Just went to develop and pretty much played with all the sliders on the right to see what did what!
Look at this example (unfortunately the Flickr upload has lost quite a lot of detail), this is a 1:1 view of a shot that got badly underexposed (very difficult as went from very bright sunlight to bad shade) and has been hiked by 3.20ev in LR. No sign of noise, and the detail of the original is insane.

Screen Shot 2018-04-30 at 16.25.03
by TDG-77, on Flickr

Look at this example (unfortunately the Flickr upload has lost quite a lot of detail), this is a 1:1 view of a shot that got badly underexposed (very difficult as went from very bright sunlight to bad shade) and has been hiked by 3.20ev in LR. No sign of noise, and the detail of the original is insane.

Screen Shot 2018-04-30 at 16.25.03
by TDG-77, on Flickr
Agreed, LR is very impressive for what it can do, I did like it when I had it.

Agreed, LR is very impressive for what it can do, I did like it when I had it.
LR is impressive, but it's more the impressiveness of the Nikon files I was trying to show. 3.2ev exposure bump 1:1 on a 45mp sensor and not a hint of noise being brought in, no colour shift and retaining excellent detail (contrary to what that crappy upload shows ;))

This particular school has a few very small sky lights but they are that thick kind of yellow plastics. There is then 2 types of bulbs in the lights, half white and the other half yellow giving the whole place some sort of yellow hue!

Even then the light isn’t that bright.

Definitely think it needs some custom WB, so need to venture out of my auto wb zone!!!

I just saw this yesterday on Fstoppers

https://fstoppers.com/education/tak...utomatic-tools-better-color-correction-245366

It could be helpful. It's for Photoshop but LR should be able to do it as well.

Back