Nikon D750 & D780

Steeplechase
by Paul, on Flickr

We've gone from zero to sixty (or 100 for us metric folk) this week in terms of weather and it looks like we're heading back to zero for the weekend. But, it was a very warm 26C yesterday when two local school districts held their track and field championships. This was one of the junior boys cooling off in the water splash.

Very light, doesn't feel pro built but the optics are very good.

The 20mm 1.8g is very light too!
A shame i only use it for astrophotography because i wouldn't mind carrying it about more often. But 20mm is pretty wide, i don't usually need this!

Looking at getting a late 2013 27" imac. Has anyone upgraded the memory themselves. Is it easy to do.

Looking at getting a late 2013 27" imac. Has anyone upgraded the memory themselves. Is it easy to do.
RAM? I did it on my 2015 27”iMac 5k and it’s a cinch, just open the flap on the back and the cards just clip in and out.

Getting so fed up with this weather, just want to get out with my little girl in the sun. Ah well, jumping in puddles it is then..

41717491252_63a2c13348_b.jpg

Do you know how much ram you have and the maximum you can fit? Look at Crucial website. If you search for memory for your iMac, it will tell you exactly what you need and how much you can put in. Their memory sticks and prices are usually pretty good

Do you know how much ram you have and the maximum you can fit? Look at Crucial website. If you search for memory for your iMac, it will tell you exactly what you need and how much you can put in. Their memory sticks and prices are usually pretty good

Im only looking around at the min but on most of theones i have been looking at they normall have 8 gig in and the max is about 32gig i believe. Yeah was going to use that website for pricing as i normally go there for my pcs stuff

So I got some fancy remote triggers (Pixel) and they sort of work ok, I always use "M" mode and when I use the triggers I am supposed to half depress the transmitting trigger to get the camera to focus but it doe not, The company are telling me they are defective so last night I was trying all the other modes on the camera, in Auto and Scene mode the triggers operate the flash (weird) but in U1 and U2 they focus the lens as it should do in "M" mode.
So i`m asking, In U1 or U2 I guess I can change settings to whatever I want just like in "M" mode ?
PS, In whatever mode I am in they will fire the shutter so it works in anycase.

So I got some fancy remote triggers (Pixel) and they sort of work ok, I always use "M" mode and when I use the triggers I am supposed to half depress the transmitting trigger to get the camera to focus but it doe not, The company are telling me they are defective so last night I was trying all the other modes on the camera, in Auto and Scene mode the triggers operate the flash (weird) but in U1 and U2 they focus the lens as it should do in "M" mode.
So i`m asking, In U1 or U2 I guess I can change settings to whatever I want just like in "M" mode ?
PS, In whatever mode I am in they will fire the shutter so it works in anycase.
Which triggers are they? My pixel don't have a half press so if you have AF set the camera AF's and takes the shot with one press. I only use mine for landscapes for which I have my camera in manual focus anyway.

My cheapy Pixel remote focuses on half press in manual. It won't focus if back button focusing is set though.

Which triggers are they? My pixel don't have a half press so if you have AF set the camera AF's and takes the shot with one press. I only use mine for landscapes for which I have my camera in manual focus anyway.
Pixel T6, I think they are really nice looking and do more than just trigger the camera. All my settings are OK but they just don't AF in "M" apart from that, great for my landscape too.

My cheapy Pixel remote focuses on half press in manual. It won't focus if back button focusing is set though.
Ah now that's a point but odd, I don't see why not.

Last edited:
Pixel T6, I think they are really nice looking and do more than just trigger the camera. All my settings are OK but they just don't AF in "M" apart from that, great for my landscape too.
Oh, a fancy trigger!

So the wife has not jumped for a couple of months as she had a really nasty fall, so today was a very big step!

Brendan Jumping by Justin Akehurst, on Flickr

Also, I was again at this terribly lit indoor school - it's so damn yellow! Anyway, here is a LR edit. I'm pretty new to LR and never really edited much so ignore if it's a bit naff!

Bren Pre-Edit by Justin Akehurst, on Flickr

Bren LR test by Justin Akehurst, on Flickr

So the wife has not jumped for a couple of months as she had a really nasty fall, so today was a very big step!

Brendan Jumping by Justin Akehurst, on Flickr

Also, I was again at this terribly lit indoor school - it's so damn yellow! Anyway, here is a LR edit. I'm pretty new to LR and never really edited much so ignore if it's a bit naff!

Bren Pre-Edit by Justin Akehurst, on Flickr

Bren LR test by Justin Akehurst, on Flickr

Bottom two look good, but as a set they are different exposure levels. With the first being more to my taste. You can set the exposure for one photo and then copy that two another. The jumping ones decent too.

Bottom two look good, but as a set they are different exposure levels. With the first being more to my taste. You can set the exposure for one photo and then copy that two another. The jumping ones decent too.

@JJ! Another tip is using 'match exposure' (settings - match total exposure). I use the shortcut, gets you thereabouts, 90% of the time. Other best tip I can give anyone to help speed up processing is actually drag the histogram about instead of the sliders, so much quicker for blitzing through a load of photos quickly. It's split into the 5 segments (black, shadow, midtone, whites, highlights)

Your black points are quite different on the bottom two. What have you been using up until now, your PP has always been ok, any reason for the change?

Last edited:

The two bottom ones are the same photo, shot 1 from camera, shot 2 just experimenting in LR.

Last edited:
@JJ! Another tip is using 'match exposure' (settings - match total exposure). I use the shortcut, gets you thereabouts, 90% of the time. Other best tip I can give anyone to help speed up processing is actually drag the histogram about instead of the sliders, so much quicker for blitzing through a load of photos quickly. It's split into the 5 segments (black, shadow, midtone, whites, highlights)

Your black points are quite different on the bottom two. What have you been using up until now, your PP has always been ok, any reason for the change?

They are the same photo. I have set filters for my outdoor equestrian shots, but the indoor ones were all really yellow and dark so decided to try experimenting in LR.

I need to learn LR a lot more and what does what! My usual pre-set is just one I modified from a downloaded pre-set!

I was trying to bring out more detail and remove the yellow colours but maybe I went too far with the indoor ones. Will keep on practicing.

Ah now you tell us!

I think your new edits lack a bit of punch

I hate that indoor school lol! I need to give them more punch but still up the details and get rid of the yellows!

This LR stuff takes practice!!

I hate that indoor school lol! I need to give them more punch but still up the details and get rid of the yellows!

This LR stuff takes practice!!

What did you use to use before LR mate?

Photoshop! Then basic LR using pre sets. But was never taking pics under these sorts of lights!
Is there natural light getting in to the arena? A mix of light sources is a real pain to work with.

On your indoor horse shot, try using the WB eye dropper on the light part of the sign in the background, then adjusting the saturation sliders* to taste followed by a shadow lift. I had a play and that seemed to work to my satisfaction. YMMV etc.

* there's a selection tool which you can use to hover over a colour you want to adjust for fine control.

In future it might be worth setting a custom WB for the arena, and saving it for future use?

Is there natural light getting in to the arena? A mix of light sources is a real pain to work with.

On your indoor horse shot, try using the WB eye dropper on the light part of the sign in the background, then adjusting the saturation sliders* to taste followed by a shadow lift. I had a play and that seemed to work to my satisfaction. YMMV etc.

* there's a selection tool which you can use to hover over a colour you want to adjust for fine control.

In future it might be worth setting a custom WB for the arena, and saving it for future use?

This particular school has a few very small sky lights but they are that thick kind of yellow plastics. There is then 2 types of bulbs in the lights, half white and the other half yellow giving the whole place some sort of yellow hue!

Even then the light isn’t that bright.

Definitely think it needs some custom WB, so need to venture out of my auto wb zone!!!

Back