Nikon D750 & D780

Did my first low light event shoot last night with the D750 and have to say i was really disappointed with it's low light focus performance. I'd even go as far to say my D7200 does a better job in low light.

Any advice on best low light AF settings ?

The event was in a marquee with fairy lights and candles. I tried combinations of AFC, AFS with 5point, AUTO. Also with flash (sb800) and without.

Lenses were both Tamrons - 70-200 f2.8 / 24-70 f2.8

I ended up moving away from focusing on faces and trying white collars to get a decent contrast point to allow the camera to find focus, sadly missed a lot of photos while it hunted around. The AF-assist light helped from the flash but i believe this is only available in 'Auto' which normally chooses focus points i dont want. I like to use single point focus on eyes when possible and af-c

Hope this can be improved through settings or is the FF body more favourable to Nikon's own lenses ?

tia
Mike

I'd think it must be lens related. How little light are we talking, give us an idea of general settings. The only 2.8 lens I have used on my 750 is the Nikon 24-70 and that doesn't struggle at all, ever, in the darkest situations.

Did my first low light event shoot last night with the D750 and have to say i was really disappointed with it's low light focus performance. I'd even go as far to say my D7200 does a better job in low light.

The event was in a marquee with fairy lights and candles. I tried combinations of AFC, AFS with 5point, AUTO. Also with flash (sb800) and without.

I ended up moving away from focusing on faces and trying white collars to get a decent contrast point to allow the camera to find focus, sadly missed a lot of photos while it hunted around. The AF-assist light helped from the flash but i believe this is only available in 'Auto' which normally chooses focus points i dont want. I like to use single point focus on eyes when possible and af-c

Hope this can be improved through settings or is the FF body more favourable to Nikon's own lenses ?

tia
Mike

I always had issues with very low light and my 50mm and 35mm. But talking first dance no lights low light. My 70-200 in low light was excellent.

Tamron & Sigma lenses don’t focus as well as Nikon’s own lenses in low light. You have to remember that Nikon provides them with no info so they have to reverse engineer all of the autofocus algorithms.

Now we are getting some logical not speculative answers - this ties in very well with my findings. I had a Nikon 50mm with me so i should have popped that on and seen if there was an improvement !

I'll do some testing at 50mm on the 24-70 and the Nikon 50mm prime and see how they compare

tia
Mike

I wonder whether you have an issue somewhere? I've used my Tamron 24-70 f2.8 in very low light (e.g. f4, ISO25600) for a fast moving dance show and was amazed at how few focus misses there were. I used AF-C with a mixture of modes but mainly 3D tracking or single point. The camera's focus assist light was off.

I wonder whether you have an issue somewhere? I've used my Tamron 24-70 f2.8 in very low light (e.g. f4, ISO25600) for a fast moving dance show and was amazed at how few focus misses there were. I used AF-C with a mixture of modes but mainly 3D tracking or single point. The camera's focus assist light was off.

Interesting - i was operating only about 6400iso at around f4.5 without flash and with flash iso down to 400 still shooting at around F4.5

That's impressive that you could nail focus in such low light without any AF assist.

Now we are getting some logical not speculative answers - this ties in very well with my findings. I had a Nikon 50mm with me so i should have popped that on and seen if there was an improvement !

I'll do some testing at 50mm on the 24-70 and the Nikon 50mm prime and see how they compare

Nikon 50mm's aren't the most reliable in terms of a.f either a better test would be with the Nikon 24-70.

tia
Mike

Are you comparing the same lenses on the D7200 and D750? From my experience the D750 focuses better in low light than the D7200.

One of my D750's played up today. I went to check the last few shots, and was told this format couldn't be read. Removed the top card, reinserted, no change. Pulled my laptop out of my bag, card was read, but noted the 9th image before the last was purple and looked very over exposed. Going 3 further back one showed 4 wide pastel coloured horizontal bars. Around 150 RAW files shot earlier were fine. Camera is only around 8 weeks old, never had any problems until now.

Reinserted both cards, both new with camera. After 1 more shot that exposed perfectly, camera generated an Err message. Removed the Tamron 24-70 G2, fitted a Nikon lens, pulled battery for over an hour, fitted different SD cards, no change. When I took delivery of the D750 I checked the S/N on Nikon's web site re shutter problems, not listed. Has only had 8,082 shutter actuations.

Before I arrange a warranty repair, has anyone seen this issue before, know of a fix I might of missed, or found out from a repairer what was the cause?

One of my D750's played up today. I went to check the last few shots, and was told this format couldn't be read. Removed the top card, reinserted, no change. Pulled my laptop out of my bag, card was read, but noted the 9th image before the last was purple and looked very over exposed. Going 3 further back one showed 4 wide pastel coloured horizontal bars. Around 150 RAW files shot earlier were fine. Camera is only around 8 weeks old, never had any problems until now.

Reinserted both cards, both new with camera. After 1 more shot that exposed perfectly, camera generated an Err message. Removed the Tamron 24-70 G2, fitted a Nikon lens, pulled battery for over an hour, fitted different SD cards, no change. When I took delivery of the D750 I checked the S/N on Nikon's web site re shutter problems, not listed. Has only had 8,082 shutter actuations.

Before I arrange a warranty repair, has anyone seen this issue before, know of a fix I might of missed, or found out from a repairer what was the cause?
Have the cards been used in another camera? Have they been formatted in the D750?

Have the cards been used in another camera? Have they been formatted in the D750?

No, only used in the D750. The lens was bought with the camera, and had remained on it since new. Both D750's have 2 x Sandisk 64GB Extreme Pro cards installed. After a shoot, last was yesterday, they were formatted in camera as usual. Very odd.

Just noticed the mirror is locked up, can see the shutter with the lens off.

No, only used in the D750. The lens was bought with the camera, and had remained on it since new. Both D750's have 2 x Sandisk 64GB Extreme Pro cards installed. After a shoot, last was yesterday, they were formatted in camera as usual. Very odd.

Just noticed the mirror is locked up, can see the shutter with the lens off.
Odd, sounds like it needs to go back unfortunately :(

I have a spare original eye cup here if anyone has lost/misplaced their one.

Going free.

I have a spare original eye cup here if anyone has lost/misplaced their one.

Going free.
Please can I take this with the battery in the for sale thread.

Thank you

I managed to lose my first eye cup on Friday, got it back though :LOL: I randomly looked down and saw it on the floor, and was thinking “that looks like a Nikon eye cup” Well there was no other Nikon shooters at the wedding, looked down at my camera and it was missing :facepalm:

I've lost two eyecups in a week! Never lost one before and the replacements I'm buying are obviously crap!

Any solutions to a better option for the D750?

There is some kind of adapter where you can put a round eyecup on, but it takes 3 separate pieces I believe. Whether you end up losing that too I don’t know :LOL: never known anything like the issues people seem to have losing them like they do in this thread :LOL:

I've lost two eyecups in a week! Never lost one before and the replacements I'm buying are obviously crap!

Any solutions to a better option for the D750?
I got a round eye cup for my D300 but it fits perfectly fine on my D750 and its a very firm fit with a click in place. Look on amazon and stick in round eye cup D300.

I got a round eye cup for my D300 but it fits perfectly fine on my D750 and its a very firm fit with a click in place. Look on amazon and stick in round eye cup D300.

20180926_183449_HDR.jpeg20180926_183440_HDR.jpeg
And yes i know the camera is dusty [emoji20]

One of my D750s is off to MPB on Monday.

Few lenses to list on the classifieds when I get around to it as well.

Keeping the other D750 + 105mm and 17 - 35 for now. Before deciding if I want to fully switch next year. But think I'm going to sell my 28 F1.8, 35 F1.4 and 85 F1.8 for definite, probably hang on to the 58mm for now.

But blown away by the Sony tbh. Far more than I expected to be.

So I’m a bit on the fence with the A73.

Seriously considering a Z6 instead. Just reading how good the 35 and 50 seem to be against current 1.4g versions.

24-70 looks good too, but would be one of the primes or the zoom if I decided too go that route.

So I’m a bit on the fence with the A73.

Seriously considering a Z6 instead. Just reading how good the 35 and 50 seem to be against current 1.4g versions.

24-70 looks good too, but would be one of the primes or the zoom if I decided too go that route.

I hear ya Bro. But what would you shoot equestrian with?

I hear ya Bro. But what would you shoot equestrian with?

I know. The 70-200 is not coming until next year and I’m guessing it will carry a hefty premium too!

I’m going to give the Sony a few more goes as it’s been a bit hit and miss but could be down to the idiot behind the camera!!

Had a quick watch at the weekend, looks great mate, top work.

Must admit, I've really lost my photography mojo ever since we did the wedding, hardly picked up a camera. Life has intervened and the run up to xmas is silly season as far as work is concerned (sat here clearing e-mails now). Do love the autumn and have been thinking that it's nearly time for the the autumnal wooded walks with the 135, it's started to stir the mind.

Back