Nikon D7xxx owners thread

I'd get one I grew up with the FE, F3 & F4 brilliant ! I have always liked dials and leavers. The D7000 is a great camera but I hate the tiny buttons like Fn and Bkt even though they have there uses.

I sent my D7000 in to Nikon to get the focus sorted, it seems every lens attached needed -15 where as I have a point and shoot that can nail focus so there is no way I am messing about fine tuning lenses on it, if it comes back fixed that will be great, if it don't and still needs af tuning it'll get sold on.

Well that was quick, sent it last thursday, so they didn't get it till friday, it came back today, all good by the looks of it, no more back focusing, from a few test shots all are focusing where they should.

Looking to join the owners of the D7100 soon after a year on a D3100, just deciding which lens will suit me best for day to day shooting first . Am busy reading through members posts for opinions !

Heads up Amazon have the D7100 @ £768 only 5 in stock +£100 cash back £668. but you may have to be quick. camerapricebuster still have it at £810
Do double check you get the cashback

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00BJCTHAW/ref=dra_a_cs_ss_hn_it_P1400_1000?tag=dradisplay0bb-21

I think the £768 prices are from third party retailers where the cash back offer doesn't apply. Amazon.co.uk is still £810.85. Fulfilled by amazon is a third party retailer as far as I'm aware. I don't think camerapricebuster checks any third party prices and only goes by amazons own price. Definitely needs to be checked before purchasing as I could be wrong.

Cash back small print on that page says:

This promotion only applies to qualifying products bought from Amazon.co.uk--it does not apply to products bought from Third Party retailers on the Amazon platform, so please check before adding to your basket.

I think the £768 prices are from third party retailers where the cash back offer doesn't apply. Amazon.co.uk is still £810.85. Fulfilled by amazon is a third party retailer as far as I'm aware. I don't think camerapricebuster checks any third party prices and only goes by amazons own price. Definitely needs to be checked before purchasing as I could be wrong.

Cash back small print on that page says:

This promotion only applies to qualifying products bought from Amazon.co.uk--it does not apply to products bought from Third Party retailers on the Amazon platform, so please check before adding to your basket.
Hi yes I did edit my post but may still be worth looking in to
H

I upgraded to a D7100 from a D90 about a month ago. I'd been holding out for a D300 replacement but after already waiting more than a year, I wasn't going to wait any longer. I did consider the D610 too, but a DX body made more sense for the kind of things I shoot. The fact that the D7100 was almost half the price of the D610 at the time made the decision really easy.

I'm a VERY happy bunny, I have to say. The AF is great, the high ISO performance is much better than on the D90 and having twice the resolution is very useful (for me, at least). This camera will keep me happy for years to come.

Think best deal at the mo is from Currys - £844 less £100 nikon less £84 quidco cashback...

Does anyone know of any shops in the Shropshire area that may have one of these i can actually pick up and hold? All the local shops are useless and the main chains are worse.

I thought I'd throw in my opinions for what they're worth :). Upgraded to the 7100 from a D5100 as I already owned 4 DX lenses so FF isn't quite in my budget yet. Unlike when I went from my D3000 to the D5100, the 7100 really feels like an upgrade and produces images with stunning clarity & sharpness - as long as I do the right things! I know I'll get the FF itch at some point, but unless my income dramatically increases soon, I'm very happy to stick with this for a long while yet.

That's what I'm hoping for. I have the money so a d7000 but I think I want to save a bit more an get the d7100. The plan is that I should keep it for longer. I've had my d3100 for 3 years now but I'm itching to upgrade

Well I finally went and bought a D7100 today at John Lewis. I was very tempted by the recent price drop to £952 with the kit lens but, went for the body only option (£844), using the partnership card that came out at £743. I will send off for the cash back card right away and then put that towards some other goodies.
I am off to Bruges for a day trip this Saturday and was tempted to take the new body to try out, but I feel my lack of familiarity with it lead me to fall back on my D3100.

That is good to hear as the D90 is a nice bit of kit ! I'll be reading back through the posts on here for any tips on set up and use.

That is good to hear as the D90 is a nice bit of kit ! I'll be reading back through the posts on here for any tips on set up and use.
Best advice I can give is learn how to set up U1 & U2 : Play with the settings and take aa few pics - when you have a decent setting , save it to U1 . Then you can play to your hearts content with all the other settings and still come back to a good one . The 7100 is a complex machine and needs getting used to - don't worry about taking it back to factory spec .

Best advice I can give is learn how to set up U1 & U2 : Play with the settings and take aa few pics - when you have a decent setting , save it to U1 . Then you can play to your hearts content with all the other settings and still come back to a good one . The 7100 is a complex machine and needs getting used to - don't worry about taking it back to factory spec .
This is great advice. I have my U1 set up to shoot a 5 bracket HDR with my sigma 10-20 & U2 is set to f1.8 for portraits with my Nikon 35. It's a very very handy shortcut.

Looks like I'm getting a D7100 for xmas:clap: I looked at one last month but didnt think it was worth it from my d7000 but it's a present and you don't like to refuse.

Has anyone got an arca swiss plate mounted on their d7100, other than the Kirk model. Kirks are £50, could do with a cheaper model.

Last edited:

Thanks for the tip ! I still haven't tried the camera out yet as it was an early Christmas present, so far I have only offered up a lens to it and played with the settings, I followed along with a YouTube set up vid, I will definitely give your suggestion a go though.

This is great advice. I have my U1 set up to shoot a 5 bracket HDR with my sigma 10-20 & U2 is set to f1.8 for portraits with my Nikon 35. It's a very very handy shortcut.

I have both of these lenses which get a lot of use on my D3100, am looking forward to trying out bracketing and will use this as a shortcut too.

The old man with the white beard and red suit has dropped off the new D7100. Hopefully will be able to try it out in the next few days:clap:

It's been very quiet on the D7000 owners thread since the board changed, obviously everyone is satisfied with their cameras and kit?

I'd be interested in this too as I am not convinced about my D7000. I've done some checks with the autofocus using a fixed point on a scale and checking how much for and aft are in focus and it seemed ok in the tests, but my hit rate of sharp shots is still too low for my liking.

Hi all, I want to send mine back to sort out the focus, do you just ring Nikon uk?

Was waiting till after the christmas break to send it !!

Cheers
Sam

Last edited:
Has this issue been sorted on new models or is it a pot luck type of thing?

It's pot luck with any camera that you get as to whether it has any issues or not(but your unlucky if you do)!
The internet is full of the problems as not many post to say how happy they are!

Hi all, I want to send mine back to sort out the focus, do you just ring Nikon uk?

Was waiting till after the christmas break to send it !!

Cheers
Sam

Sam,phone Nikon UK their customer service is very good.
They will tell you what to do!(y)

It's pot luck with any camera that you get as to whether it has any issues or not(but your unlucky if you do)!
The internet is full of the problems as not many post to say how happy they are!
I'm happy with mine, just wish I could get out more with it.

Is anyone using the newer 2013 version of the Sigma 17-70mm f2.8-4 'Contemporary' Lens on their D7000? Looking into the possibility of getting it as my general walk around lens to replace the Tamron 17-50mm f2.8 (Non-VC).

If anyone could let me know how it is on their camera, how pleased you are with it and is it really disappointingly soft at the wide end?

Back