Nikon D7xxx owners thread

When af fine tuning should the camera be set to spot metering ? If not what mode will give the more meaningful remote

When af fine tuning should the camera be set to spot metering ? If not what mode will give the more meaningful remote
For AF fine tuning the metering mode has nothing to do with it, that only affects exposure, and how the camera measures the exposure. Whatever metering mode you choose is irrelevant afaik. I would think you would need your widest aperture and good light so as to give the camera the best chance to focus, and to easily tell when it has missed focus, but that depends on how you are fine tuning the AF, internally, or with a external calibration device.

After a leak in the cupboard where my D7000 was kept and my reat screen no longer working, I no longer use mine and now use my D700 exclusively.

Mine gave a little trouble yesterday, there was a shudder on pressing the shutter and then Err came up, it's done this before and always on cold days. I took the lens off and pressed the shutter without a lens and all is well until I go to use it again and I had to abandon using it and revert to mt D300 backup camera.
I will look at it in the home environment later today and see if it's ok in a warmer environment.

Mine gave a little trouble yesterday, there was a shudder on pressing the shutter and then Err came up, it's done this before and always on cold days. I took the lens off and pressed the shutter without a lens and all is well until I go to use it again and I had to abandon using it and revert to mt D300 backup camera.
I will look at it in the home environment later today and see if it's ok in a warmer environment.

I tend to shudder in the cold too :(

A while ago I sold my D750 and obtained a Sony A6000 in an attempt to use a camera more, the theory being it was smaller and lighter to carry everywhere. I never really got on with such a small package, finding the handling a bit fiddly so it’s hardly been used. Also had some illness in the family that took me away from photography so am now looking to get back into it.

I have a Go Pro Hero 7 I can use for some interesting pictures or video if I want a small package now so am thinking of selling the Sony and getting another dslr.

I kept my Nikon 50mm f1.8 and also have a spare battery from the D750 which I believe will fit the D7200/7500 so it makes sense to get one of those (although I’m also tempted by a canon 80d as I had a Canon 20d many years ago and really enjoyed using that).

Both the Sigma and Tamron 17-50 f2.8 can be obtained for not very much money at all on the grey market, does anyone here use them / what would be the better choice?

Thank you!

D7200 is a steal at the moment from e-infinity. Looking to buy another one and SAVE it for when my old one conks out. It's a brilliant camera.

Yes I noticed that price earlier, seems a bargain and would be less than £250 to change if I sell the A6000!

Hi,

quick Q: does D7500 support histogram in LV ? D7200 not ... I am considering to upgrade my D7200 -> D7500 and I was always missing this feature

thanks, ~dan

Hi,

quick Q: does D7500 support histogram in LV ? D7200 not ... I am considering to upgrade my D7200 -> D7500 and I was always missing this feature

thanks, ~dan
Not according to the user manual, just has the same 4 displays as the D7200 i.e. Info on, info off, virtual horizon and grid lines.

Reactions: ntz
I've owned the D7100 since the day it was released. Took it for a walk yesterday for the first time in a while. And while I'm moderately happy with the results, I think the time has come to finally put it to rest and catch up with the rest of the world.

48af152deedd17ffe6eee952f5fe.jpg

Last edited:
I've owned the D7100 since the day it was released. Took it for a walk yesterday for the first time in a while. And while I'm moderately happy with the results, I think the time has come to finally put it to rest and catch up with the rest of the world.

View attachment 408910
I've had most of the the D7*** range and still have the D7500. Bought a Canon M50 for a walk round camera but have a Nikon 24mm pre D series lens on it. How will an upgrade improve your photography ... think about this before you splash out on an upgrade. Happy snapping.

I've had most of the the D7*** range and still have the D7500 ...

Hi, then you might be able to shed a light on if D7500 has a histogram while shooting stills in LV (see please my question 4 posts above) .. According to internet it seems it does but according to manual it doesn't seem like. D7200 doesn't support histogram (with any firmware version) while shooting stills in LV .. thanks much in forward ...

You've taught me something. Didn't realise it could do this. Watched a you tube video and hey presto, it works!

I've had most of the the D7*** range and still have the D7500. Bought a Canon M50 for a walk round camera but have a Nikon 24mm pre D series lens on it. How will an upgrade improve your photography ... think about this before you splash out on an upgrade. Happy snapping.
I appreciate that. I guess my thoughts are similar to those of everyone else who has already made the switch. No AF fine tune, live view, articulating screen, much cleverer electrics, ISO noise, video recording improvements.

If I were to stick with DSLR I'd want to be switching to full frame rather than D7500 or D500 for the ISO improvements, but that would mean changing my main 17-55 2.8 lens also, so either mirrorless or DSLR are a big change and I figure the Z system is here to stay longer.

My only reservation is I have a 50mm Sigma Macro lens which is really nice and at an equivalent FOV of 75mm worked great on crop sensors. But it is screw drive so will become manual focus with an FTZ. My plan is to try it as a MF lens, but will probably go for a Sigma 105 macro and an FTZ.

Oh, second reservation is the ergonomics of the new bodies. But I really don't like the D7100 either from that POV. I adored the D2H ergonomics and from that to a D300 was a definite downgrade, and then to the D7100 was another leap down. From what I can tell the Z6 makes a lot sense and offers a lit of configurability as to what buttons do what, coupled with a touch screen and joystick I think would be a big step up from the D7100.

The depth of the hand grips (horizontal and vertical) on the D2H were a dream. I could hold that on my fingertips really securely all day. And the speed! I miss it even if the images from it were not the greatest.

Owning a £5000 camera such as a Leica would make no difference to my ability as a photographer. Really happy with my first camera, a D7000 and money spent on travel rather than gear.

View attachment 408910
With the D7100 24mp, you need to sharpen the photos. Sharpen the above and more detail will be shown in the wood and greater seperation in the grass will also show up. The D7100 has such high pixel density it benefits from sharpening in most circumstances.

Back