Nikon D7xxx owners thread

Was determined not to use the new lens yesterday as it was a crappy overcast day... Well i failed miserably and couldn't help myself taking a visit to the local reservoir. Quite happy with some of the results and i really enjoyed using it. Looking forward to getting out on a brighter day so i can use lower iso's and faster shutter speeds! The OS is actually really good, very Tamron VC like.Never been that fussed about the Nikon VR system, never seemed to make any difference imo. This and Tamron's version gives a very definite clunk so you know it's working and you can actually see the image stop moving.

Looks like you might have a good copy there David, I thought it looked like Rufford park from some of the photos, its a bit of a beast to use as a portrait lens though :naughty:

Last edited:
Yep, I wanted the newer finish rather than the older finish tbh but was assured by @Alejandro it was a good copy so I settled for the older weird finish. Upto yet it's been superb. Going to try my hand at a bit more motorsport this year so it should see a fair amount of varied use. It felt very good to use for portraiture. Obviously a little different to having a nice fast prime but that's on the 'to get' list. ;) Was going to go to Rufford today, but after nipping down to the shops I decided it was freezing and stayed inside in the warmth instead. Haha.

Like the blackbird @Swanseajack but the blue tit is in too much shade imo.

Is anyone elses eyecup loose? It would appear the rubber on mine is stopping it from sitting in the molded space for it. Thinking of ordering a DK-23 which is for the D300 which would appear to have a thinner rubber cup.

Yep, I wanted the newer finish rather than the older finish tbh but was assured by @Alejandro it was a good copy so I settled for the older weird finish. Upto yet it's been superb. Going to try my hand at a bit more motorsport this year so it should see a fair amount of varied use. It felt very good to use for portraiture. Obviously a little different to having a nice fast prime but that's on the 'to get' list. ;) Was going to go to Rufford today, but after nipping down to the shops I decided it was freezing and stayed inside in the warmth instead. Haha.

Like the blackbird @Swanseajack but the blue tit is in too much shade imo.

Is anyone elses eyecup loose? It would appear the rubber on mine is stopping it from sitting in the molded space for it. Thinking of ordering a DK-23 which is for the D300 which would appear to have a thinner rubber cup.

Yes it does seem a tad dark after loading, heres another go.

My eyecup seems fine and I have removed and replaced a few time to clean the VF. Will the Nikon DK-23 just be the same? There not a bit of debris on the groves? Also,. can you try some amazon copies of the eyecup? > http://www.amazon.co.uk/Camera-Eyecup-DK-23-Nikon-D300S/dp/B00REFIIP8/ref=sr_1_12?ie=UTF8&qid=1422819933&sr=8-12&keywords=nikon d7100 eyecup

20150128-DSC_3208 by swanseajack2013, on Flickr

Strange. It goes all the way down until it hits the curved part above the screen. It never moved on my D7000 but this has slid off a few times already so I know it won't be long until it comes off when I'm out and about.

Thanks for the link, looks good.

What a baptism of fire yesterday with the D7100. Felt like a beginner again, all the gear but no idea.

Was shooting at my niece's 4th birthday party in a church hall with dim lighting. Decided to sit on the sidelines with my 70-200 2.8, trying and get some candid shots as kids always seem to over pose when they see the camera. :)

Looking back at the shots, I don't think there will be much I will be keeping. I was messing with AF on the fly trying to get something I was happy with, don't know why, but still can't seem to grasp best AF solution for kids, always confuses me. Thought I was happy with single point until messing about yesterday :confused:

Didn't help that i'd not really had too much of a play with the camera since getting it in midweek.

Had set up BFF but wasn't convinced by that either, even though I used AF-C and BFF on the D7000 for about a year.

I suppose all my AF concerns weren't helped by the D7100 seemingly amplifying all my schoolboy errors. I was really struggling for light in the hall and tried to get away with 1/320 at 2.8 with my 70-200 (non OS version), but the D7100 just seemed to laugh at me and highlight every little fault, even at say 100mm.

out of focus, off focus, hand holding, not using a monopod.

Better camera, more megapixels......... seemed to kill my poor technique.

A harsh Sunday afternoon for me.

But the worst part was I didn't realise the until I got back home how crap the shots looked. Really should have picked up on things whilst there. Suppose when you don't use your camera for a wee while, you forget all the basics.

Might post some pics up tonight when I get home....... if I can get passed the shame....... maybe they'd be better in the beginners section though? :p

I was surprised how different the AF system was on the 7100 over the 7000. The 7000 seemed so simple to use imo and this just goes another level which I need to learn all over again. And another thing I've noticed is that the + and - buttons for zooming in on pics have been swapped over. Bloody Nikon.

What a baptism of fire yesterday with the D7100. Felt like a beginner again, all the gear but no idea.

Was shooting at my niece's 4th birthday party in a church hall with dim lighting. Decided to sit on the sidelines with my 70-200 2.8, trying and get some candid shots as kids always seem to over pose when they see the camera. :)

Looking back at the shots, I don't think there will be much I will be keeping. I was messing with AF on the fly trying to get something I was happy with, don't know why, but still can't seem to grasp best AF solution for kids, always confuses me. Thought I was happy with single point until messing about yesterday :confused:

Didn't help that i'd not really had too much of a play with the camera since getting it in midweek.

Had set up BFF but wasn't convinced by that either, even though I used AF-C and BFF on the D7000 for about a year.

I suppose all my AF concerns weren't helped by the D7100 seemingly amplifying all my schoolboy errors. I was really struggling for light in the hall and tried to get away with 1/320 at 2.8 with my 70-200 (non OS version), but the D7100 just seemed to laugh at me and highlight every little fault, even at say 100mm.

out of focus, off focus, hand holding, not using a monopod.

Better camera, more megapixels......... seemed to kill my poor technique.

A harsh Sunday afternoon for me.

But the worst part was I didn't realise the until I got back home how crap the shots looked. Really should have picked up on things whilst there. Suppose when you don't use your camera for a wee while, you forget all the basics.

Might post some pics up tonight when I get home....... if I can get passed the shame....... maybe they'd be better in the beginners section though? :p

I was surprised how different the AF system was on the 7100 over the 7000. The 7000 seemed so simple to use imo and this just goes another level which I need to learn all over again. And another thing I've noticed is that the + and - buttons for zooming in on pics have been swapped over. Bloody Nikon.

Perhaps you should have stuck with the D7000 :pfor Mick and :pfor David :whistle:

Yipes I'd better hide in the shed you might pop over and give me a clout --- eeeeek --- 'Me Duck' as they seem to say up here :eek:

Perhaps you should have stuck with the D7000 :pfor Mick and :pfor David :whistle:

LOL, it took me over 30 mins to accept a perfectly good offer for my D7000 this morning in the classifieds.......... it was like a comfort blanket.

As I said in my post, AF has always been a dark art for me. I thought i'd found something on the 7000 that I was happy with, but I have no idea with the 7100. Like starting again.

For a (semi)intelligent man, I really can't understand why it just hasn't clicked for me, which mode to use for my kids....... pretty embarrassing really. LOL

Any guides/youtube vids would be appreciated. :)

Well there are quite a few modes, d9, d21, d51, d10 million and 4, 3d, all, afa afs and afc. There's a good vid explaining it all on YT. Got a womans face on the vid so look for that one Mick.

John, I'm a lover not a fighter... whether that means you have more to worry about or not is your decision. :D

Last edited:
I'm now wondering if it was this that caused me the grief yesterday? Is the default 'release'?

a1 AF-C priority selection – (Focus or Release) If exact focus is important to you, set to Focus. Otherwise, if you need to get the shot even if focus is not attained, set to Release. This setting operates in AF-C mode only.

Last edited:
I'm now wondering if it was this that caused me the grief yesterday? Is the default 'release'?

a1 AF-C priority selection – (Focus or Release) If exact focus is important to you, set to Focus. Otherwise, if you need to get the shot even if focus is not attained, set to Release. This setting operates in AF-C mode only.

All these focus modes looks like I'm with you needing to watch a few YouTube tutorials but a cataract in my left (usual focusing eye) doesn't help when I forget and still use it (left eye) and wonder why, whatever I do, I never get the focus right :mad:

ahhhh, Google and YouTube whilst at work and NOT having your camera in hand seems to confuse matters even more. Think I need to stop reading for now and get home and do some testing. :)

From my two weeks of owning I have found AFS single point the best for me and focus on release (I do wait for focus confirmation most of the time though). I tried AFA & AFC and in particular AFC seemed to hunt more. Also, I have tried the metering at different settings and I have found the centered one best and also set to average (b4). Camera in aperture mode with max of 1250 iso.

Been using a 300mm f4 and 1.4TC and I have had very little OOF apart from a few grab shots, which is expected for me due to disabilities. Otherwise, have been using camera set up on tripod and shooting through the back door glass window and with the low light we have been having the camera has performed excellent including with the use of TC. The camera and lens without TC is nailing focus in under a second, I am finding it very quick and accurate with my settings.

Edit: Although not children playing, I am catching Blue-tits in focus and I find these little birds are very fast movers and don't keep still. Also, as I am home allday I have had time to try the different settings and the AFS one is working for me. I have rattled off 2.5k shots in the last two weeks.

Last edited:
Got home, left it in BFF, changed AF-C Priority Selection to Focus (it was set at release), took just 3 shots of the kids and i'm a bot more of a happy camper. Focus achieved and images look sharp, can see that just from the screen.

Yesterday pretty much wasted then. :(

Gonna have a play with AF-C release, but can't see why i'd wanna use it if its not focused? Where's that scratching head emoji??? oh yeah, :thinking:

Last edited:
The release mode is for you to have more control over the camera. Sometimes you can be in focus and the camera is not seeing it, hence the use of release.

Got home, left it in BFF, changed AF-C Priority Selection to Focus (it was set at release), took just 3 shots of the kids and i'm a happy camper. Focus achieved and images look sharp, can see that just from the screen.

Yesterday pretty much wasted then. :(

Gonna have a play with AF-C release, but can't see why i'd wanna use it if its not focused? Where's that scratching head emoji??? oh yeah, :thinking:

Glad you're a bit happier Mick, I always change mine to focus release. Not sure why I'd want an out of focus shot anyway as I'd just bin it at the PP stage. And it'd be firing all the time so you'd end up with a memory card filled of oof crap rather than in focus crap.

That + and - thing is the only thing that bugs me on my D7100 - keep pressing the i button istead!

Surprisingly the i button hasn't caught me out yet, just the other two being swapped around which bugs me. I also seem to be able to activate the menu button with my shnoz when shooting, which never happened before. :LOL:

Yeah, the i button is where the + used to be (at the bottom) and the + and - are swapped around. Really bugs me and I just can't seem to get to grips with it.
Rest of the camera is fantastic though:)

I like the feel of it, the grip is quite a bit different. The D7000 felt more sturdy though imo.
If you tap the plastic around the bottom of the lens mount with your finger nail, the D7000 definitely sounded like it was made of thicker plastic / polycarbonate.

Glad you're a bit happier Mick, I always change mine to focus release. Not sure why I'd want an out of focus shot anyway as I'd just bin it at the PP stage. And it'd be firing all the time so you'd end up with a memory card filled of oof crap rather than in focus crap.

It was a schoolboy error not to notice is was in release and not focus. Its either default release or the guy I bought it off had it set that way.

So you couldn't be more right David "And it'd be firing all the time so you'd end up with a memory card filled of oof crap rather than in focus crap"

That sums up my Sunday afternoon. :(

Thanks all - I think it was trying to PP a couple of snowy shots that made me think Jpeg looked better but I guess it could well (is most likely) be me
You say Jpeg looked better ... than what?
The RAWs out of the D7000 are good files with plenty of highlight and shadow detail that simply won't show in Jpeg and which can be brought out by good RAW processing.
A RAW file is not a picture really, although this can lead into big internet argument territory.
Which RAW processor would you be using? What did you use to get a snowy photo from your RAW and what processing did it do to the basic RAW file?

You say Jpeg looked better ... than what?
The RAWs out of the D7000 are good files with plenty of highlight and shadow detail that simply won't show in Jpeg and which can be brought out by good RAW processing.
A RAW file is not a picture really, although this can lead into big internet argument territory.
Which RAW processor would you be using? What did you use to get a snowy photo from your RAW and what processing did it do to the basic RAW file?

I always take RAW and PP them as such but it was only the 'snow laden' scenes that I just couldn't PP satisfactory in RAW.

So I've been using the snow/beach scene mode on the camera which seems to have solved my problems - in RAW.

Getting there with it mate, slowly but surely. Amazing how a 500mm lens even on crop leaves you wanting more... there were some Goosanders in the middle of the lake and this lens was only long enough to get a record shot. Meh.

The gull wing looks as if it's got bird sh*t on it's wing??? Makes a change from my windscreen:) You're getting used to that lens David and a nice bit of sunshine helps, been nice here all weekend.

Last edited:
It has indeed. :LOL: they're good to practice on but they're still nifty little things, especially at close range and zoomed in a bit.

Must say the iso performance is no better than my D7000 from what I remember. Might have to start learning the ETTR technique.

And I'm considering getting a quicker card too.

Must be hard hand holding that lens and getting the balance right. I went D7000 to Fuji Xpro1 (x2), XT1 and then D750, returned for debris in VF and now D7100 so I have been a little spoilt in ISO performance. I have only a few of my D7000 pics left on puter to compare, been having a good cull as CC is slowing it down. Going to order a Dell 24" monitor tomorrow and hopefully update the desktop in a few months.

I am going to build my lenses up, 35, 50, 85 and Macro then I will be buying the D750 as soon as possible. When I bought D750 I had to use cheap lenses due to budget and it showed.

I find with ETTR the pics look too washed out to me, and I haven't spent a great deal of time practising it or processing. As for cards, I have 95mbs Sandisk extreme pro, Sandisk 60mbs and PNY 45mbs and If honest, myself I havent seen noticeable difference between them, if I was you, I would buy a cheaper 8Gb and make your own conclusions. Then, I dont need the speed for what I do and may not notice so much as you with your boxing gigs etc......

Last edited:
Back