Nikon D7xxx owners thread

Wonder if the D50 body is worth anything?
Not a huge amount, I keep an eye on them as I have one too lol. Seem to float the £130-150 mark depending on what's included.

Also, do you think the price will come down towards Christmas or should I get it sooner incase they get out of stock?
I'd get one ASAP, they are made the Thai factory currently under 2m of water and stock levels can only go one way until that's resolved!

Crikey didn't think a D50 would be worth that much!

I just did a quick search but couldn't find an official Nikon refurb site – do you have a link mate?

had a frustrating afternoon trying out my new camera.. will have to get used to the differences in focusing to my D5000.. is there anyway to leave the settings etc showing on the back screen without having to press info all the time?

after a lot of fails managed this one..

What more settings than the top lcd are you after?

What more settings than the top lcd are you after?

not after more.. just wondered if you can have them showing on the back screen too without having to press the info button all the time?.. the LCD is a little hard on the eyes.. will get used to it am sure, just finding a little strange now

edit> found you can set the information display longer than the default 10secs.. that will do!

Last edited:
LOL That is one of the biggest advantages of the D90 upwards in the model range so you don't have to use the screen all the time. Also the details are also repeated in the viewfinder. But yes if it is hard on the eyes then I guess the viewfinder is not going to help either.

I've never used the rear LCD to check the settings, although I've only had my D7k for a few days.

Maybe have the top LCD screens light turned on all the time, that might help? There is a setting that will let you do that.

not after more.. just wondered if you can have them showing on the back screen too without having to press the info button all the time?.. the LCD is a little hard on the eyes.. will get used to it am sure, just finding a little strange now

edit> found you can set the information display longer than the default 10secs.. that will do!

It did take me a few days to get used to using the top LCD screen on the D7000 after I upgraded from the D5000. I would find it hard using the back screen now. You'll be flying in no time with it. I use the viewfinder a lot, so I change settings without taking my eye of the subject.

Kingston SDHC 16G

Try using a high speed card - at least class 10.
I have the Hama High speed 22mb/s and a Sandisk Extreme 30mb/s.
When using the continuous shooting in RAW format I find the Sandisk extreme card keeps up a lot better. In most other functions (including the video) there seems to have been little difference though.

I was lucky and got the Sandisk card very cheap, usually they go for ridiculous prices. The Hama card is more reasonably priced, and it still performs much better than most cards I've tried.

When shooting HD video what actually happens if your memory card is too slow?

Has anyone got Thom Hogan's D7000 guide? Was thinking of buying it but wondered what people thought of it.

Has anyone got Thom Hogan's D7000 guide? Was thinking of buying it but wondered what people thought of it.

Haven't got it - I found the manual had the information I needed, but I'd imagine it's excellent. His writing in reviews and commentary conveys the information he wants to very well, so I would expect it to be well worth the money.

4.jpg

Had the "Err" message show up yesterday just as we were going to do a mini shoot. It cleared up later on (seemed to be a contacts problem), but wrecked that. Ah well, hoping it doesn't happen again.

Haven't got it - I found the manual had the information I needed, but I'd imagine it's excellent. His writing in reviews and commentary conveys the information he wants to very well, so I would expect it to be well worth the money.

4.jpg

Had the "Err" message show up yesterday just as we were going to do a mini shoot. It cleared up later on (seemed to be a contacts problem), but wrecked that. Ah well, hoping it doesn't happen again.

What lens were you using? I always get it when my lenses aperture rings move from f22/f32

What lens were you using? I always get it when my lenses aperture rings move from f22/f32

Was a 24mm PC-E at the time. It wasn't the aperture ring moving (I have it locked most of the time) and the other lenses did the same. Hasn't happened again so far though :)

i got thoms guide its good and helped clarify a few quite important things with settings interrelating etc

Can't really check it right now, but what are the updates?

Modifications enabled in version B 1.03
An error recognizing some memory cards has been addressed.
The following issues occurred when the mode dial was rotated from U1 or U2 to another shooting mode or from another shooting mode to U1 or U2 when the power was off or when the exposure meters are off (Auto meter-off). These issues were resolved.
- A new folder is sometimes created despite the fact that the current folder does not yet contain 999 files and none of the files are numbered “9999”.
- The number of remaining exposures may not be displayed as specified in the settings.
- The setting for Role played by card in Slot 2 may change between Overflow, Backup, and RAW Slot 1- JPEG Slot 2.
An issue where Battery info in the setup menu sometimes showed sufficient remaining charge even when the remaining charge for the AA batteries inserted in the MB-D11 battery pack was low has been resolved.
An issue where a saved photo may not have been displayed properly when a movie was displayed in playback mode while saving the photo has been resolved.
An issue where zoom in or zoom out may not have performed properly when the playback zoom in or playback zoom out button was pressed while in Live view has been resolved.
The message displayed when the internal memory of the Wireless Transmitter WT-4 is formatted from the Format transmitter's memory under Device settings in Wireless transmitter of the camera’s setup menu was changed from Done to Built-in memory formatted.

Modifications enabled in version B 1.03
An error recognizing some memory cards has been addressed.
The following issues occurred when the mode dial was rotated from U1 or U2 to another shooting mode or from another shooting mode to U1 or U2 when the power was off or when the exposure meters are off (Auto meter-off). These issues were resolved.
- A new folder is sometimes created despite the fact that the current folder does not yet contain 999 files and none of the files are numbered “9999”.
- The number of remaining exposures may not be displayed as specified in the settings.
- The setting for Role played by card in Slot 2 may change between Overflow, Backup, and RAW Slot 1- JPEG Slot 2.
An issue where Battery info in the setup menu sometimes showed sufficient remaining charge even when the remaining charge for the AA batteries inserted in the MB-D11 battery pack was low has been resolved.
An issue where a saved photo may not have been displayed properly when a movie was displayed in playback mode while saving the photo has been resolved.
An issue where zoom in or zoom out may not have performed properly when the playback zoom in or playback zoom out button was pressed while in Live view has been resolved.
The message displayed when the internal memory of the Wireless Transmitter WT-4 is formatted from the Format transmitter's memory under Device settings in Wireless transmitter of the camera’s setup menu was changed from Done to Built-in memory formatted.

Thanks (y)

Hi all, buying a 7000 next month just waiting to see if there is a better deal at Christmas, upgrading from the D5000. Having read a few posts on here I’m concerned the lenses I have 18-55VR 18-105VR, (kit lenses) 55-200VR & 20mm prime lens may produce less impressive quality photos. I do like landscape and nature photography and know I can do with a better zoom for nature. I’d appreciate any comments and advice on better lenses? I could always sell my lenses to go towards new ones. I’m in two minds to keep my 5000 so when out landscaping I can have one lens on the 5k and another on the 7k just in case a nature shot comes in view and not losing the shot through changing the lens.

i've recently (ie, it arrived yesterday) bought a tamron 17-50 2.8 and going from afew test shots it seems to be much better than my 18-105 which i've been using for 11 months now. The 18-105 isn't a bad lens in my opinion and has served me well, i just think i would benefit more from the wide aperture than the extra zoom.

For £290 i really couldn't argue, if i was to buy the D7000 again, i would really be tempted to buy the body then the tamron and leave the 18-105, but seeing as you already have it i'm afraid i'm not much help :LOL:

Hi all, buying a 7000 next month just waiting to see if there is a better deal at Christmas, upgrading from the D5000.

I'd keep an eye on Best Buy they are closing down right after Christmas so I imagine there will be some aggressive discounting.

That could have been such a lovely shot had you not applied what i'm presuming is the toy camera affect. Spoils it imo.

Well i've given in and sent mine back to Nikon to have the auto-focus checked, far too many inconsistent focusing results....just pray they find a problem or else i'm at a loss how my technique can be so bad.

Just thought I'd pop in to say Hi. I have been a long time lurker but now plucked up the courage to finially post. I have been taking photography as a more serious hobby for about 4 years now, although I still concider myself a begginer. I had a Sony A700 and various lenses, I have recently sold up and swapped over to a D7000. I must say the colours that I have seen on my images make the A700 look dull. I couldn't believe it. Well looking forward to posting more often and gaining further experience from the rest of the d7000 community.

I'm happy to say I'm now a proud new owner of a d7000. Moved from the d80. Haven't really had much of a change to play due to work.. Day off tomorrow so let the good times begin :)

I'm happy to say I'm now a proud new owner of a d7000. Moved from the d80. Haven't really had much of a change to play due to work.. Day off tomorrow so let the good times begin :)

Congrats. Im just trying to decided whether to jump now or hold off till Christmas but with Amazons price shooting up, I may have to take advantage of Jessops pricing...

Charlatan said:
Congrats. Im just trying to decided whether to jump now or hold off till Christmas but with Amazons price shooting up, I may have to take advantage of Jessops pricing...

Reserve it online and collect... Should be a few quid cheaper, plus you get to try it first... (y)

Charlatan said:

Thanks :) My advice would be buy soon! Stock is VERY low and prices are going up because of the floods. I had to travel 2 hours each way to pick mine up!

has anyone found any problems upgrading to the new Firmware version 1.03? mine seems to freezing while viewing shots i have taken

I was going to upgrade tonight so I'd also be interested if anyone else has had problems! Think I'll hold off now.

DannyDMR said:
has anyone found any problems upgrading to the new Firmware version 1.03? mine seems to freezing while viewing shots i have taken

I've updated and can't say I've noticed any problems..

If it ain't broke, don't fix it. Mines still running the firmware supplied with it - 1.0.1 I think.

I've hosed a number of devices with firmware updates in the course of my career - not my fault I add, most were down to the firmware supplied being corrupted.

Basically unless I have a problem with the camera that a version of the firmware is guaranteed to fix, I'm going to stay well away from it.

Thanks :) My advice would be buy soon! Stock is VERY low and prices are going up because of the floods. I had to travel 2 hours each way to pick mine up!

Well after a day of fighting with Jessops I am still not the proud owner of a D7000.

They have the online price of £794.40 and the option to reserve to collect at store. Unfortunately the website does not know my local store has stock and wouldn't allow me to do it online. I called the store and got a guy who was useless and said he couldn't do anything about it, seemed like it was too much for him to be bothered with(I recognised his voice and he is as unhelpful in person). I called head office and got kept on hold for an age while they contacted the store to check stock levels (which I had done 10 minutes previous). I was then promised a call back once she had spoke with the manager within 10-15 minutes. Its now over five hours later and not heard a peep.

They are advertising something they cannot (will not?) fulfil. The is by far not the first time I have had an issue with Jessops. I am trying to support the only local camera shop as it is all we have here but every time I try they throw it back in my face.

I should of saved myself the wasted money on premium phone numbers and just ordered elsewhere for a cheaper price.

:bang:

Back