Nikon D7xxx owners thread

That's odd, just checked mine and it doesn't do that
Quite - it's more pronounced when I stop the camera down too. When at F8, it just went from 10 seconds via the viewfinder, then switches to 4 seconds on liveview. Bizarre.

Quite - it's more pronounced when I stop the camera down too. When at F8, it just went from 10 seconds via the viewfinder, then switches to 4 seconds on liveview. Bizarre.

does Live View change to a different exposure setting i.e. from spot to matrix?

does Live View change to a different exposure setting i.e. from spot to matrix?
Not that I can tell. When I change the metering it changes the shutter speed as you'd expect, but as soon as I hit that LV button, it changes shutter speed.

I'll have a look in the manual later to see if it mentions it.

Last edited:
Am upgrading my D40x with a D7100 in the coming days (thanks Bill!) and can't wait to get my hands on it.

My mind is still boggling about the stupidly high number of AF points over the D40x :-D

Happy New Year, fellow D7200-ites! :)

I've just picked up a flashgun this week, and I was wondering if anyone could recommend any resources for learning how to use it "properly"?

I've never had any experience with such a piece of kit, so rather than just sticking it on top of my camera and firing away (which I'm more than happy to do for the time being), I was hoping that some of you have come across some literature that you found useful?

Many thanks in advance.

Happy New Year, fellow D7200-ites! :)

I've just picked up a flashgun this week, and I was wondering if anyone could recommend any resources for learning how to use it "properly"?

I've never had any experience with such a piece of kit, so rather than just sticking it on top of my camera and firing away (which I'm more than happy to do for the time being), I was hoping that some of you have come across some literature that you found useful?

Many thanks in advance.
Not Nikon, but worth a read....
https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&s..._9vaw89qp1Bo4Y4OQ&sig2=-Zd0IQBRD-SpsI-cgkWslw

And this....

https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&s...dBLiJQ5Km3IQXgCEA&sig2=c7nYSxn3xUqzbZDqvvpU2Q

Last edited:
I'm in the market for a wallet friendly zoom lens, up to 300mm most likely. Had my eye on the Tamron A005 version 70-300mm USD VC ......any other recommendation at the same ball park price (low 200s)?

Thanks

I'm new here, and am pleased to say I'm anoher D7000 user of some years. Always been a Nikon user going right back to Nikon F. I tried a Canon for a hile but gave it to one of my sons. I have read a few threads and looked at contributed pix and am amazed at some of the owrk being shown,
Monoman

Nope, it's the best value zoom there is imo.
I assume the tamron is better than the Nikon 70-300 VR then?
Got the Sigma at the moment but it's very poor optically.........but it only cost £45 !!!

They're very much on par. The difference is price. The Nikon generally goes second hand for a similar price to a new Tamron.

Which Sigma? I ordered one from Amazon for a weekend in the lakes and it was super sharp and optically sound. No stabilisation was the issue for me.

They're very much on par. The difference is price. The Nikon generally goes second hand for a similar price to a new Tamron.

Which Sigma? I ordered one from Amazon for a weekend in the lakes and it was super sharp and optically sound. No stabilisation was the issue for me.
My sigma is the DG APO Macro. Think they are about £90 new? It's a bit sharper after f8 but that's not much use on the dull days we're getting at the moment.

Got the Sigma at the moment but it's very poor optically.........but it only cost £45 !!!

From reviews I've read I don't think there is a lot in it to be honest, but the VC seems a lot more efficient on the Tamron and it's quicker to focus than the Nikon, plus the Nikon is quite a bit more expensive.

Youtube. Full of great resources. I'd also recommend Zack Arias - One Light and also Joe McNally - The Language Of Light. Great videos to watch if you can get a hold of them.
Thanks for the recommends - I'll be sure to check them out.

I had both at the same time on a D7000. Nothing in it optically but on a trip out taking shots of dragonflies against a busy background, the Nikon focused faster and locked on much more frequently than the Tamron. Under different circumstances there was not so much in it, I just personally had more faith in the Nikon.
The Tamron though is still the best value for money by far and I would have no problem buying one again if I wanted that zoom range.

Nikon D7200 + 300mm f4 PF VR
a few shots taken today ... drizzle light

Leaf - ISO 900
SIJ_5th.jpg

Toadstool - ISO 1250
Toad_Stool.jpg

ISO 400
Rocquette.jpg

ISO 400
deer_2.jpg

Are you starting to like it now bill ? Certainly a really nice lightweight walkabout combo :)

I suppose everything takes some getting used to especially for a conservative "old bugger" like me Adam

I certainly like the lens and it gets better the more I use it

Back