Nikon D7xxx owners thread

Zetec said:
Dean if you forget all about the D700 for a moment as that is a pro body plus full which I can not justify getting. How does the D7000 perform in low light such as in a village hall as I can not use a flash gun whilst photographing the karate club whilst they are training or in a competiton.

Not brilliantly in my experience. It its better with focus assist from a speedlight, but not sure you'll be able to use one.

Hi Steve, I don't really understand what you mean by this please could you explain or post a link ? Many thanks Nick

It's a pretty easy process providing you have a memory card reader for PC (presume Mac also). Basically have a look in your camera settings and somewhere it will say firmware / firmware update.

Make a note of your current versions, have a look on the nikon website for D7000 updates or follow the link provided by Soda, download the version required, decompress it to your hard drive, copy across to a formatted SD/SDHC, remove SD cards from camera, insert SD card with firmware patch into slot 1, turn camera on, go to firmware option, upgrade firmware, wait, follow on screen instructions, job done.

Make sure you have a fully charged battery pack installed.

Has anyone got any experience with this gadget. Does it work like a cable release.i.e can I hold the shutter open for say two minuets on manual ?

I want to use this in conjunction with a D7000

Many thanks, Nick

Last edited:
Blank_Canvas said:
Has anyone got any experience with this gadget. Does it work like a cable release.i.e can I hold the shutter open for say two minuets on manual ?

Many thanks, Nick

Yes, set the exposure to bulb mode, displays as --, click the button once to start the exposure and again when you're finished. I'm happy with it.

It's a pretty easy process providing you have a memory card reader for PC (presume Mac also). Basically have a look in your camera settings and somewhere it will say firmware / firmware update.

Make a note of your current versions, have a look on the nikon website for D7000 updates or follow the link provided by Soda, download the version required, decompress it to your hard drive, copy across to a formatted SD/SDHC, remove SD cards from camera, insert SD card with firmware patch into slot 1, turn camera on, go to firmware option, upgrade firmware, wait, follow on screen instructions, job done.

Make sure you have a fully charged battery pack installed.

Hi Steve, I have just read your reply before posting my other question. Thank you very much indeed this is really helpful. I do use a Mac but don't have a memory card reader. i'll go online and get one. Thanks again. The help and support I have received on here since i joined has been excellent. thank you.

Yes, set the exposure to bulb mode, displays as --, click the button once to start the exposure and again when you're finished. I'm happy with it.

Brilliant I was hoping it would ! Thank you very much for your help, so quick too !

(y)

Hi all....

Waiting for my replacement D7000 to turn up from Amazon, so I have some time on my hands and a debit card in my pocket :naughty:

Recently purchased a Sigma 100-300 f4 so have the telephoto sorted but now I am looking for a macro lens that I can also use as a portrait lens. Been doing a bit of research and I think I have settled for the Nikon 60mm f/2.8G ED AF-S.

Is there any reason why I shouldnt ? And if you want to throw in some alternatives please do (y)

Cheers

Chub

What is everyone using to process RAW files from the D7000.

LR3 does a really "bad" job of processing, and when I say bad, I mean there is a lot more work involved to get the image to look as it was captured.

First pic is as Capture NX sees it, as it looks in camera and how I remember it looking when taking it

2nd is LR3....:puke:

Capture by ob1chubster, on Flickr

_1AB0482 by ob1chubster, on Flickr

I use Aperture 3 but I'm on mac. I'm no hot shot but have not had any issues with quality and so long as you use over 4gb ram it runs quick.

Its not how it runs but how it renders the picture.....these are straight out of camera in their respective programmes....nothing done to them.

They're all doing different interpretation of the data depending on their settings. Either change the settings or don't use that software.

I use gimp and ufraw, fwiw.

I use Capture NX as I find it does what I want it to do. I have LR3 and don't really use it. I also have Elements 8 which doesn't recognise the RAW files, but I use it for watermarking once converted to Jpeg.

I find Capture NX extremely clumsy to use but each to their own. Besides LR3 is fairly standard and I am surprised it is handling the RAW files like this, never had any problems with my Sony a580 files.

Interestingly I opened the same raw file in Elements 10 and it got a lot closer to how it should look right off the bat.

So what is LR doing ??

Elements 10

elements by ob1chubster, on Flickr

I certainly wouldn't say LR3 is bad.
I use it, and find it great.
As far as getting it to open images the way you want them, it is possible to batch import using settings which you can apply to all images upon import.
Maybe try that?

It seems it is.....as I only shoot in RAW. Hence the difference in the files above

No, it definitely isn't applied to RAW files. The thing about shooting in RAW is that there are no manipulations made to the image. However, if you have Active D lighting activated on the camera, any NEF files will be tagged, so when opened in the Nikon software, the conversion can be applied.
Best thing to do, in my opinion is to check your in camera settings, and turn off active d lighting (If it's on), and do a comparison.

I use Camera Raw as part of Elements 10 to process my RAW files. Previously I used ViewNX2.

You'll find that Camera Raw is part of Elements 10, CS5 and LR3 and it's the same piece of software and used the same processing algorithms. The only real difference is the processing options on the Elements 10 version are reduced.

So it's not LR3 as such, it's probably just what the default settings are set to that you don't like, so you'll need to sit and play with the settings until you're happy with the results. You'll rarely (if ever) load a RAW file and think "That's spot on!" You'll nearly always need to tweak something.

Just a quick suggestion for any one else that has the D7000. The plastic Nikon lcd protector is rubbish in the extreme, fogs up everytime you use it and very easily scratched. I just got a glass GGS111 must better than the original.

Just a quick suggestion for any one else that has the D7000. The plastic Nikon lcd protector is rubbish in the extreme, fogs up everytime you use it and very easily scratched. I just got a glass GGS111 must better than the original.

Where did you get it from please?

£90 off this today at Jessops. I tried my mates D90 yesterday and it just felt better in my hands than my D3100. Thought about getting one but now I've seen this D7000 offer I'm tempted to get one. Its way to advanced for me but I reason I could grow with it.

Is it possible to extend the continuous shoot mode beyond 100 shots?

I need to take between 15 second and 30 second exposures continously over a 3-4 hour period.

Is it possible to extend the continuous shoot mode beyond 100 shots?

I need to take between 15 second and 30 second exposures continously over a 3-4 hour period.

thats 100 shots before the buffer is full, if u are having exposures that long then your buffer will never get full

I take mine off when i shoot only put it on for when it's in the camera bag

thats 100 shots before the buffer is full, if u are having exposures that long then your buffer will never get full[/QUOTE

That's what i thought!

But last night set the exposure in manual,locked out the cable release and left it to work it's magic!

Returned after 3 hours to find it had stopped after 100 exposures!:bonk:

Will have to try again,maybe something else went wrong!:bang:

thats 100 shots before the buffer is full, if u are having exposures that long then your buffer will never get full[/QUOTE

That's what i thought!

But last night set the exposure in manual,locked out the cable release and left it to work it's magic!

Returned after 3 hours to find it had stopped after 100 exposures!:bonk:

Will have to try again,maybe something else went wrong!:bang:

There is a hard 100 shot limit for continuous exposures. To shoot more than that without resetting every 100 shots, you will need to tether the camera or use a programmable remote trigger.

Interval timer in the shooting menu lets you set the exposure time manually as normal, interval between shots and total number of shots, although thats limited to 999 i think...

Stew. said:
Interval timer in the shooting menu lets you set the exposure time manually as normal, interval between shots and total number of shots, although thats limited to 999 i think...

Thanks!
I did look at this quickly but couldn't figure it out!
Will take another look as I need the intervals between shots to be as quick as possible after each exposure!

It is limited to 999, which is why I mentioned tethering as that has no limit.

That said, 999 will get you 29970s of exposure (over 4 hours) so perhaps it will be enough. And messing about with mine now, you can set number of shots taken per interval alongside the interval length. In fact, according to what I've done messing about, you should be able to get up to 8991 exposures, as you're wanting continuous exposure, and the 999 limit is for number of intervals.

Set number of shots per interval to 9, and set the interval to 272sec (9x30 sec plus some extra time for the shutter flipping (4 min 32 sec), then set number of intervals to whatever you want to to get the length you need.

ausemmao said:
It is limited to 999, which is why I mentioned tethering as that has no limit.

That said, 999 will get you 29970s of exposure (over 4 hours) so perhaps it will be enough. And messing about with mine now, you can set number of shots taken per interval alongside the interval length. In fact, according to what I've done messing about, you should be able to get up to 8991 exposures, as you're wanting continuous exposure, and the 999 limit is for number of intervals.

Set number of shots per interval to 9, and set the interval to 272sec (9x30 sec plus some extra time for the shutter flipping (4 min 32 sec), then set number of intervals to whatever you want to to get the length you need.

Thanks I'll have play when I get home from work!

I don't suppose there's any chance of the D7000 body going down in price after Christmas? They've risen about £200 over the last few months because of the Thailand floods and availability problems.

Hello all. I got my D7000 just about a week ago, with a 35mm 1.8 DX lens. I'm on the market now for a general purpose lens, and would go for the 24-120 f/4 VR, but my budget got limited. So I'm currently looking at the 16-85 VR and 18-200 VR. Leaning towards the 16-85 for IQ and optical quality, as I can get a 70-300 in the future. Anyone with experience on these two lenses? Any comments and insight are appreciated!

Just moved up from a Sony A290 DSLR, and I must say I am very, very impressed with the D7000 so far.

Test shot, first day:

Last edited:
I don't suppose there's any chance of the D7000 body going down in price after Christmas? They've risen about £200 over the last few months because of the Thailand floods and availability problems.

AS you say, the factory is still under water so stocks will be getting lower, not much chance of price drops. The Nikon "pro" bodies are not effected as they are made in Japan.

The D7000 is a wow but you will settle when get use to it.

I tried many different lens on the D7000, from cheap to pro lens i can say altho the camera is very good but it work better with quality lens.

Back