Nikon D7xxx owners thread

I have a D7100 with the wonky left focus sensor. I only ever use the centre one but there must be circumstances when it will cause a problem - can anyone tell me those circumstances ? I am reluctant to send it to Nikon repair as apart from this the camera works perfectly and centre focus is spot on for me .

Thanks folks

Mikey

Replacement grip arrived, fits well, no movement, no power issues. Hopefully this one will be better.

I already have a blower so not sure I need the full kit but thanks for the link, will check out their other kits.

Very excited, I have been given the go ahead to go out and get the d7100. Two month eary of when I was supposed to ( my birthday) Hopefully I can get to the shop tomorrow :D

Replacement grip arrived, fits well, no movement, no power issues. Hopefully this one will be better.

Where did you order this from if you don't mind. Thanks.

Also, any idea where cheapest place to buy genuine batteries (or are there any good third party ones)

Thanks

D7100 for me, is the best crop sensor Nikon ever. I can't really fault it. I have such a high keeper rate and the level of detail is just outstanding.

The weight and size is perfect and I find it such a joy to use. No issues with anything mentioned in these posts.

I'm sure that 1000's of people feel the same, you just don't hear from the happy people as much!

Lenses I use are 16-85 vr, 70-300 vr and 50 1.8g so nothing high end. The 70-300 has been a revelation to me. As long as i dont go to 300, it takes such great images all the way from 70-290mm.

People have never complimented me so much on my work.

So i say to all those worrying about the purchase of a D7100, go for it. There are more good than bad.

+1

I am with you, i love mine, works well, no issues at all, also keeper rate is far more for me than the canon 7D i used to use..........

hdew cameras are doing the D7100 for £769 yes £769
i bought my d7000 from them very friendly

hi guys...after owning several sony alpha cameras for the last 5-6 years,i took the plunge into the dark side today,by getting a d7000 and 18-105 kit lens.after charging the battery,i had a play with it.when using auto focus,the focus points seem to jump all over the place,instead of say,focussing on a chosen point[ie:centre].i have read the manual,but seem to have trouble selecting a specific point...hopefully one of you folk can help,please :D

Hi again. I have been mainly using a Nikon 50mm f/1.8 with my D7000, which is great for taking photos of my toddler, but sometimes I think maybe I would be better with a 35mm. Is the 35mm f/1.8 as sharp as the 50mm? Anyone use it for babies/ children? Anyone used both and can advise?

Second option would be something like a 17-50mm, or even an 18-105mm, again recommendations welcome!

Last edited:
Hi again. I have been mainly using a Nikon 50mm f/1.8 with my D7000, which is great for taking photos of my toddler, but sometimes I think maybe I would be better with a 35mm. Is the 35mm f/1.8 as sharp as the 50mm? Anyone use it for babies/ children? Anyone used both and can advise?

Second option would be something like a 17-50mm, or even an 18-105mm, again recommendations welcome!

If you were happy with the 50, 35 will be plenty wide enough. Still better than a zoom optically and cheaper. 18-105 isn't that bad for the price if you want flexibility. If you are avoiding flash, pass on the standard zooms. 17-50 2.8 is tempting but I haven't used one. It's lots more than the 35 though

I have a 50 and 35,IMHO on the D7000 the 35mm is probably slightly a better focal length and just as sharp if not sharper!

My most used lens for it's versatility/picture quality is my Tamron 17-50 f2.8 a cracker for the money!(y)

Hey Everyone,

I just picked myself up a second hand D7000 yesterday, so far im delighted with it. I just have a few question that i hope someone could help me with.

As this is a second hand camera, is there anything i should be doing or checking i.e settings, maintenance?

Also at the moment i had a D3100 with kit lens 18 -55mm and a 55 - 300mm. I now plan to sell the D3100 with its kit lens to help pay for the new camera. As I only bought the D7000 body this will leave me without a general purpose lens.

Is it a good idea to pick up the 18 - 105mm kit lens that should have came with the D7000 or is there a better general purpose lens out there. Funds are limited right now so i would only be looking to spent about £150. Any suggestions?

Hey Everyone,

I just picked myself up a second hand D7000 yesterday, so far im delighted with it. I just have a few question that i hope someone could help me with.

As this is a second hand camera, is there anything i should be doing or checking i.e settings, maintenance?

Also at the moment i had a D3100 with kit lens 18 -55mm and a 55 - 300mm. I now plan to sell the D3100 with its kit lens to help pay for the new camera. As I only bought the D7000 body this will leave me without a general purpose lens.

Is it a good idea to pick up the 18 - 105mm kit lens that should have came with the D7000 or is there a better general purpose lens out there. Funds are limited right now so i would only be looking to spent about £150. Any suggestions?

Charlene,

I've never used the 18-105mm but i'm sure it's a fairly typical kit lens and will be fine on the D7000. If you definitely need a zoom then it's probably going to be a good option. Alternatively, you could get a 35mm f/1.8 for under £150 which is an excellent lens on the D7000.

Charlene,

I've never used the 18-105mm but i'm sure it's a fairly typical kit lens and will be fine on the D7000. If you definitely need a zoom then it's probably going to be a good option. Alternatively, you could get a 35mm f/1.8 for under £150 which is an excellent lens on the D7000.

Or look for an 18-70mm.....brilliant lens and not the cheap plasticky kit lens type....its made properly. And max aperture is f/3.5-4.5 instead of 3.5-5.6...they go on ebay for around £75 and are very sharp indeed. http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Nikon-DX-...=UK_Lenses_Filters_Lenses&hash=item232c36bf1b

Neil

Hi All, could someone look at my attempt at checking for back focus, I think it is a bit out but not sure if it is enough to worry about?

Cheers
Sam

FOCUS TEST by SamOldfield, on Flickr

I wouldn't worry about it.

Of my lenses only the super cheap 50-200 nikkor zoom was considerably out. It manifested far worse than your image. In short if you are squinting to see if it is out its probably not bad enough to worry about.

just had email through saying that there is a firmware update available for the D7100 now.

https://nikoneurope-en.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/57567

When images captured using a flash in Manual or Repeating flash flash mode were played back with the “Overview” display enabled, flash output level was displayed in the flash compensation portion of the display. This issue has been resolved.
When the AE/AF lock button was pressed with Special Effects mode enabled, Selective Colour selected, and the view magnified with selective colour options displayed in live view, the image did not change while live view was active. This issue has been resolved.
An issue that caused the Viewfinder Virtual Horizon to freeze when certain operations were performed has been resolved.
When images captured with white balance bracketing enabled were played back, a white balance fine-tuning value of 9 (steps) was displayed even for images captured with a fine-tuning value of 10 (steps) applied. This issue has been resolved.
An issue that prevented cursor movement when certain operations were performed in calendar playback mode has been resolved.
The size of some text displayed in calendar playback mode has been modified.
Display of focal lengths in 35mm [135] format recorded in image Exif data has been corrected.
When movie recording at 1920 × 1080/24p in M exposure mode, subject brightness did not change, even when shutter speed was adjusted. This issue has been resolved.

Doh. Done it now Ive followed the instructions and not tried to shortcut.

For info I was trying to run the update directly from the download folder. It works when you copy the download to its own folder and then open it.

Just like it says in the instructions.

I've been close to the D600 upgrade, (even ordering one in at Calumet)... as I thought I would like the improved performance of the FF sensor and the extra "width" which would allow me to use a lightweight all prime setup (20,24,35/50,85) for travel without having to lug any larger lenses, especially as replicating the 20mm on DX can only really be done with a fairly large zoom (11-16/10-24).

Also partly because when I tried one last week my current FX lenses (20mm f2.8D and 24mm f2.8D) seemed stellar on the D600, something they've never seemed to be on the D7000 which almost flys in the face of what I'd expected.

However I'm wondering if my unhappiness with the lenses on the D7000 is actually the camera and not the lenses, I seem to have to AF adjust everything to -20 which suggests to me that the camera is what needs calibrated not really the lenses, particularly as they 2 (20/24) were very sharp on the D600 without any adjustment.

If ALL lenses are out by the same amount then that would indicate a problem. Phone Nikon UK up. Mine had a back focus issue so Nikon fixed it. One week I spent some time on utube learning more about the black art of photography rather than worrying about focus.
Happy days with my 35 50 and 85 primes now...

I think I will give them a call as I suspect it is the camera, only problem I have is I'm on holiday soon so would need it for that!

Mines coming back tomorrow from its 2nd repair attempt, first was back focus which they 'fixed' by giving it so much front focus that even +20 wasn't enough to correct it :(

Better be sorted this time (I even sent a lens away with the body to help them get it right).

Nikons answer about the 35mm equivalent not showing up in EXIF data in photo editing software.

Thank you for your e-mail and attachments.

Unfortunately I cannot offer support or comment on third party non Nikon software which Picasa viewer and FastStone viewer uses, as their technical information is not available to me. You will need to contact Picasa or FastStone regarding their software.

However I will forward your feedback to our 'design and quality' team for future review. Please bear in mind that this will not result in any direct feedback from Nikon or result in any firmware updates that include the EXIF data that you may want.

Please note that this EXIF data option is not available in Nikons software.

If you have any further questions please feel free to contact Nikon support.

Kind Regards,

Martin Norton
Nikon Europe Support
www.europe-nikon.com/support

Is there any wonder Canon sell so many cameras:bang: Much more of this and they will be selling another one soon.:bat:

Now updated in new firmware:-

Display of focal lengths in 35mm [135] format recorded in image Exif data has been corrected.

I am in the same predicament with the focus, the new 35mm is just as bad as the old one I had, requiring -20 but then on closer shots it's out of focus unless at 0, yet a shot over 2 meters and it needs -20, I give up, contacted Nikon today and they had me line up a couple of shots so they can see, 1 shot with each lens, waiting on them to get back to me, very frustrated, £1000 of gear that I have zero faith in.
Should have just kept the D3100

I am in the same predicament with the focus, the new 35mm is just as bad as the old one I had, requiring -20 but then on closer shots it's out of focus unless at 0, yet a shot over 2 meters and it needs -20, I give up, contacted Nikon today and they had me line up a couple of shots so they can see, 1 shot with each lens, waiting on them to get back to me, very frustrated, £1000 of gear that I have zero faith in.

How are your other lenses?

I know this feeling, ever since my D7000 upgrade at Christmas I have constantly been frustrated with things. I've tried to AF tune a couple of time but gave up as it seemed to make no difference.

I called Nikon today about a focus issue I've had 3 times now where I press AF-ON and nothing happens, AF fails to operate. They have asked me to clean the contacts but I am not confident this will fix anything. If it happens again my whole rig is going to Nikon and they can clean, adjust and check everything as focus just never seems 100%.

Charlene,

I originally bought the D7000 with the 18-105 kit lens, and have bought a 50mm and 10-24, but I've got to say the 18-105 stays on most of the time, because its versatile, and because most of my stuff is "off the cuff" and not planned.:D
Needless to say I am always lugging a hugh camera back with everything in it ( incl sink ), and it's never opened :LOL:

Hi. I joined today mainly to seek advice on the focus of my D7000. With both the kit 18-105 and a nice 85mm 1.4D Prime, I do not get really sharp focused images. My 'rule of thumb' on this is to zoom in on eyelashes on portraits (on camera) and see if they look sharp: they are almost without fail soft. I have not used the camera nearly as much as my old F90-X Pro, but clearly I'd like to benefit from being confident in the kit I have on the digital side too. Treat me as a complete novice (which I am not) and please tell me if I have the settings on the camera off to account for this soft focus? I'm at the point of admitting defeat and 'upgrading' to something that will more reliably generate very sharp images. That's another discussion perhaps.

Back