Nikon D7xxx owners thread

good choice Doug - am sure the camera will last you a long time - am still find new features on mine !

I'm wondering how long Thom Hogan's going to take to write his D7000 guide :thinking:
I've heard good things about his guidebooks.

Last edited:
i've had mine for about 6 weeks now, loving it :D need to get out and take more pics though tbh. this weather needs to improve :thumbsdown:

so i've just added a 17-55 to mine and the weather has been absolutely awful.......
give me some decent weather please

Has anyone bought the MB-D11 grip yet ? Seems like they can be had for about £230 from a UK seller now. Still bloody expensive but I really want one!

Has anyone bought the MB-D11 grip yet ? Seems like they can be had for about £230 from a UK seller now. Still bloody expensive but I really want one!

ive been looking at getting one but as you have said £230 is alot of dosh:(

I can't see the need - never known the battery go anything like flat in a normal day's usage - also the grip isn't that user friendly - you have to remove it to charge the in-camera battery.

tim_uk said:
I can't see the need - never known the battery go anything like flat in a normal day's usage - also the grip isn't that user friendly - you have to remove it to charge the in-camera battery.

Not really that interested in the extended battery life. It's more for the comfort/ease of use when shooting portrait and also to perhaps balance it a bit better as I use mine quite a bit with the 70-200 VRII.

I can't see me ever running the battery flat and agree that have to remove the grip to charge the camera battery is poor.

more of the comfort thing for me also,my d90 was gripped and it just felt right

if it's just the balance/comfort factor - think I'd think about getting a block of wood carved to match the D7000 shape and save the 200 notes for some lenses !!!

try it with a 17-55 on the grip im sure will balance it nicely

tim_uk said:
if it's just the balance/comfort factor - think I'd think about getting a block of wood carved to match the D7000 shape and save the 200 notes for some lenses !!!

I think that's where the third party grips come in! Seriously though I find shooting in portrait without a grip gets quite fiddly when you want to change focus points and the like

Hi , 1st post on here although I have been lurking for a while ;) . I got a D7000 on Monday as an upgrade to my D5000 . I haven't had a chance to use it properly yet but I wonder if anyone can answer a quick question on the sensor cleaning please ? On my D5000 I set the sensor cleaning option to clean everytime I switched the camera off and it shows a sensor cleaning display in the rear panel everytime I switched the camera off . I have set the same option on my D7000 but when I switch the camera off the rear screen stays blank . If I select 'clean now' in the sensor cleaning options it shows the sensor being cleaned . Should the D7000 show that it is cleaning the sensor on shut down if that option is selected in the menu and if if doesn't how do I know that it is actually cleaning the sensor ?

Thanks in advance

John

Amazon have just knocked price of their d7000 kit to £1024.00, seems like very good value

Hi , 1st post on here although I have been lurking for a while ;) . I got a D7000 on Monday as an upgrade to my D5000 . I haven't had a chance to use it properly yet but I wonder if anyone can answer a quick question on the sensor cleaning please ? On my D5000 I set the sensor cleaning option to clean everytime I switched the camera off and it shows a sensor cleaning display in the rear panel everytime I switched the camera off . I have set the same option on my D7000 but when I switch the camera off the rear screen stays blank . If I select 'clean now' in the sensor cleaning options it shows the sensor being cleaned . Should the D7000 show that it is cleaning the sensor on shut down if that option is selected in the menu and if if doesn't how do I know that it is actually cleaning the sensor ?

Thanks in advance

John
no it never does..It didn,t on my d300 either...it only shows ,like you said..mark

no it never does..It didn,t on my d300 either...it only shows ,like you said..mark

Mark , thanks for that . Just wanted to make sure my camera is working properly .

I'll probably have some more numptee questions when I start using it as well
:LOL:

John

Hello

I've just bought myself one of these so I thought I'd bump this thread.

I'm loving the camera so far, even though I havn't a clue what I'm doing. I have just upgraded from a D40 and although the D7000 is beyond my capabilities, It has forced me to learn more about photography.

Please post any tips you may have found.

Thanks

just a quick question for you all, what are you all using on the programmable function buttons? i can't find anything more useful than changing the metering! :LOL:

what is bloody annoying, there is no lock on the program dial...it has moved a few times ,without me realising it ...mark.

Yeah I've fallen for that one too! It turns too freely for a dial with no lock! :bang:

just a quick question for you all, what are you all using on the programmable function buttons? i can't find anything more useful than changing the metering! :LOL:

I use mine for quick access to walkabout and grab shot settings.

U1 - general street togging setting whilst walking from place to place - ISO400, F5.6 in A mode, Matrix metering.

U2 - Must have a shot grab shot mode! ISO1600, F4 in A mode, Centre weighted.

So - I can be shooting a building etc at ISO100 and F16 and suddenly Elvis gallops past on Shergar! U2 - click! (y)

i was more on about the Fn and preview buttons on the front, but yes, i was looking for advice on the U1 and U2 too :LOL: (y) nice one

Ah right - sorry.

I have mine set for spot metering, and Commander Mode via the ''Access top item in My Menu"

I see Thom Hogan has a guide about to come out...are his guides any good ?

http://bythom.com/nikond7000guide.htm

Looking on Amazon there are three or four others coming out in the next couple of months ?

Which are generally the best ones ?

Thom Hogan's guides seem to be highly regarded, I've pre-ordered it and will let you know what I think when it arrives in March. I think they're supposed to be a better explanation of the camera settings and why and how you might want to set them one way versus the other.

I have got the "Snapshots to Great Shots" one. http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/0321766547/ It's not bad, doesn't go into too much detail just gives you an overview and explains how the various modes are good for certain types of picture, and goes into some detail about settings, but not masses. I have yet to go out and try out any of the things from the book though.

I've also got a non D7000 specific set of paperbacks called Scott Kelby's Digital Photography http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/0321678737/
It's pretty good and explains how to get certain types of shot without going into too much detail, the idea being that if you and him were out taking pics he would just tell you basically what you needed to do to get the shot rather than give you a lecture on the physics of light/focus/depth of field etc...

I'm hoping I learn more about some of the camera settings from the Thom Hogan guide, especially about flash control with non Nikon speedlite's.

I took my D7000 and 70-200 out today when I was walking the dog....still trying to learn how to get the best out of the camera and lens. Pictures are nothing special but happy with the quality of the images. Shot RAW and no processing in camera or otherwise other than conversion to JPEG. As has been written elsewhere it does seem to have a tendency to overexpose slightly in bright sunlight which you can see in the picture of the hound.

DSC_1382.jpg

F2.8

DSC_1334.jpg

F4

DSC_1315.jpg

F10

I,m upgrading from the d90 as soon as the money I have transferred is avialable. I have also ordered the grip.
I do believe Oy will be getting a free Mcdonalds any day soon:bonk:

collected last night and ordered battery grip and spare this morn

I,m upgrading from the d90 as soon as the money I have transferred is avialable. I have also ordered the grip.
I do believe Oy will be getting a free Mcdonalds any day soon:bonk:
Hi any information or feedback you can give on your upgrade would be appreciated i have a D90 is it worth it , is the quality better ? thanks

Hi any information or feedback you can give on your upgrade would be appreciated i have a D90 is it worth it , is the quality better ? thanks

Hi Blackwolf,
The quality is better by a long way especially with iso capabilities. I really loved my D90 and had a great time using it, The D7000 is a big improvement all round IMO.
Dave

Hi Blackwolf,
I have just upgraded from the D90. Took some pics to match the same ones I took with D90. The D7000 ones are much sharper and colour seems more vibrant. Loving the D7000; well worth the change. Dave

Hi everyone! Joining this Thread as I bought my D7000 last week! Upgrading from D3000. What I notice first was AF speed which is very fast ( I use 18-200 VR lens). But then image quality (sharpness) is almost the same as from D3000! :shrug: Was shooting outside using AFC and Auto. I will try to test and adjust AF fine tuning with this lens. Anyone had this problem?

Hi everyone! Joining this Thread as I bought my D7000 last week! Upgrading from D3000. What I notice first was AF speed which is very fast ( I use 18-200 VR lens). But then image quality (sharpness) is almost the same as from D3000! :shrug: Was shooting outside using AFC and Auto. I will try to test and adjust AF fine tuning with this lens. Anyone had this problem?

Should you really be seeing a difference in sharpness? are you shooting RAW or JPEG?

I hate to say this, but you probably need better glass to really get the most out of the D7000. Even though the 18-200 is not bad, it's still a superzoom and isn't the sharpest glass out there. Also remember you've just gone from 10mp to 16mp which IMO will now start showing up flaws in lenses and technique.

I thought I had the same problem. I was out shooting with the 70-300VR, which is known to be soft at the 300 end, and I found that my photo's didn't appear to be quite as sharp as from my D90. However sticking my 105VR on to the D7000 showed a real improvement. Tack sharp at 100%.

More pixels needs more resolving power out of the lens. You could have a lens that's tack sharp at 10MP but looks soft at 16mp.

I hate to say this, but you probably need better glass to really get the most out of the D7000. Even though the 18-200 is not bad, it's still a superzoom and isn't the sharpest glass out there. Also remember you've just gone from 10mp to 16mp which IMO will now start showing up flaws in lenses and technique.

I thought I had the same problem. I was out shooting with the 70-300VR, which is known to be soft at the 300 end, and I found that my photo's didn't appear to be quite as sharp as from my D90. However sticking my 105VR on to the D7000 showed a real improvement. Tack sharp at 100%.

More pixels needs more resolving power out of the lens. You could have a lens that's tack sharp at 10MP but looks soft at 16mp.

I thought the same but as for the 70-300vr my pics 'appear to me' to be noticably better quality? having said that I have only made the transition from jpeg to raw in the last couple of months....

Back