Nikon D7xxx owners thread

Thanks again guys - sounds like I am making the right choice. After shooting film for 30 years it's a big jump to go digital - so much to learn. When you have a large collection of glass compatibility becomes very important.

One thing I can't find on the web is 'typical file size' (I want to estimate number of SD cards I will need). Does anyone have a link to a chart for the D7000 that shows approx file sizes for the various modes?

Thanks

Thanks again guys - sounds like I am making the right choice. After shooting film for 30 years it's a big jump to go digital - so much to learn. When you have a large collection of glass compatibility becomes very important.

One thing I can't find on the web is 'typical file size' (I want to estimate number of SD cards I will need). Does anyone have a link to a chart for the D7000 that shows approx file sizes for the various modes?

Thanks

Around 20MB in RAW format

I asked too quickly :bonk:. I found the owners manual online at Nikon's USA website. Below is the data from the manual.

Image Quality FileSize BufferCapacity
NEF (RAW), Lossless compressed, 12-bit 15.5 MB 11
NEF (RAW), Lossless compressed, 14-bit 19.4 MB 10
NEF (RAW), Compressed, 12-bit 13.6 MB 15
NEF (RAW), Compressed, 14-bit 16.7 MB 12

JPEG fine 3
L 7.8 MB 31
M 4.4 MB 100
S 2.0 MB 100

JPEG normal 3
L 3.9 MB 100
M 2.2 MB 100
S 1.0 MB 100

JPEG basic 3
L 2.0 MB 100
M 1.1 MB 100
S 0.5 MB 100

What is the battery life like on the D7000 compared to the D90?

I have a D90 & battery grip. Was going to jump up to the D7000 but I seen how the grip works for it & put me off!

What is the battery life like on the D7000 compared to the D90?

I have a D90 & battery grip. Was going to jump up to the D7000 but I seen how the grip works for it & put me off!

I've got the D7000 gripped, and it works beautifully.

Could you maybe explain why it's put you off? I'm just a bit confused by what you've said - is there something different about the Nikon MB-D11?

I think he referring to the way the battery is inserted on the grip. The D90 insert 2 batteries onto the grip itself and require to take the battery chamber off on the bodies to have to grip inserted as well.

The D7000 grip just take 1 battery but it allow you to keep your other battery in the body.

I find it the new way is much better because i can have to option to use the grip or not when ever i like.

Also to answer the OP question on the battery life, the D7000 battery last ages. Probably twice as long as my d300 battery.

ah, I see :)

and I agree the battery lasts for ages, and charges up fairly quickly too!

Yeah sorry, was the fact that 1 of the batteries was "hidden" away inside the camera and not as easily changed as on the MB-D80 grip for the D90

Thanks for the quick replies too :)

Yeah sorry, was the fact that 1 of the batteries was "hidden" away inside the camera and not as easily changed as on the MB-D80 grip for the D90

Thanks for the quick replies too :)

i usually just use one battery and leave the grip on all the time. The battery last ages, i try shoot all afternoon - night one one battery and it still full. Only time when the battery is drain fast is when shooting video.

hello people, i want to upgrade from my d5000 to the d7000, what would be better, getting the 18-105mm or the nikon street sweeper 24-120mm???

out of the 2 lens what would be the better choice, or is there something else i could get in the same price range, i have the 35mm 1.8 but would love a 20mm or the 24mm. i think the budget is max £1100.

the D7000 is a good upgrade. If buying used is not a problem i would suggest a used D7000 and a used 18-200 VR.

Lots of discussion on the optional grip for the D7000. Here in Canada the Nikon grip runs about $300-$350 (too much for me right now). A few of the big-box stores sell a 3rd party for around $100 which is apparently metal construction (made by Digipower p/n PGR-NKD11) and then I see the ebay types for around $40-$70 dollars which seem to be plastic.

Has anyone tried the Digipower variety? If so how does it fit? Are the controls smooth and 'correct'? Does it indeed have a metal frame?

Thanks

:D Finally the supply of D7000 has started up again, and I have bought one from Calumet, will arrive Tuesday, can't wait to get my hands on it:clap: and join the D7000 club.

Calumet seems to be a good company, just hope Im right!:clap:

Now if everything goes the way it has for all things I buy, Nikon should either discontinue the D7000 , bring out a better replacement or both, within a couple of months:LOL:

(y)(y)been waiting since November since the other half gave to go-ahead:LOL:

Congrats vizzair. You won't be disappointed!

For those asking about battery life...I get around 1200-1500 shots per charge if I don't use the flash. At Christmas time, I got about 450 off one charge as that was indoors and using the flash the whole time (plus showing people the shots on the LCD)

If you use external flash like me, my camera just keep on going lol. The flash unit need battery changing more then i do lol

vizzair said:
:D Finally the supply of D7000 has started up again, and I have bought one from Calumet, will arrive Tuesday, can't wait to get my hands on it:clap: and join the D7000 club.

Calumet seems to be a good company, just hope Im right!:clap:

Now if everything goes the way it has for all things I buy, Nikon should either discontinue the D7000 , bring out a better replacement or both, within a couple of months:LOL:

(y)(y)been waiting since November since the other half gave to go-ahead:LOL:

My ears just pricked up! I've also been waiting months for one, but the Calumet website is still saying out of stock :( Do you mind saying which store had stock, and what the price was?

Also Calumet are a fine company to deal with, used them quite a few times for for mail order and in-store purchases and they couldn't be better: thumbs:

i just went on the website today, spotted the D7000 in stock and banged off an email to customer services, nice chap replied saying there are in stock and also UK supplied parts with full manufacturer warranty.

John,

We do have the kits in stock, priced at £1074.99, all our stock is UK sourced & comes with a full Nikon warranty.

Hope this is ok

Thanks

Raj

-----Original Message-----
Sent: 09 March 2012 13:24
To: direct
Cc: customer service
Subject: FW: availability of Nikon D7000

just noticed stock has dropped to "low" since i ordered it, maybe they only had 1 in stock:(

http://www.calumetphoto.co.uk/eng/product//355-875B

Last edited:
vizzair said:
i just went on the website today, spotted the D7000 in stock and banged off an email to customer services, nice chap replied saying there are in stock and also UK supplied parts with full manufacturer warranty.

just noticed stock has dropped to "low" since i ordered it, maybe they only had 1 in stock:(

http://www.calumetphoto.co.uk/eng/product//355-875B
Ah, that explains it, I've been looking at body-only... Thanks for the input tho! Almost tempted to buy the kit and sell the lens on, but I've waited months, so what's a few more weeks.

I can't believe how rational I'm being, very unusual ;)

Well I hoped to be posting in here as a new owner but after a trip to Jessops today, the store weren't even aware of my Collect@Store order, nevermind actually having my camera :(

Reading above about calumet, wondering whether to wait and see if Jessops actually come good and try and wangle a discount for the mess up or try ordering online with Calumet...

One the jessops website, I cannot find any stores within 100 miles with a collect at store available. ( north west ), going as far as leeds, manchester , liverpool, birmingham, event though it stated collect at store available:bang:

I guess the ONLY store in the UK with the one D7000 available is not owning up in case some one wants to buy it:D

One the jessops website, I cannot find any stores within 100 miles with a collect at store available. ( north west ), going as far as leeds, manchester , liverpool, birmingham, event though it stated collect at store available:bang:

I guess the ONLY store in the UK with the one D7000 available is not owning up in case some one wants to buy it:D

When I was trying to buy my D7000 i reserved 1 at Jessops twice and both times i turned up to collect they tried to palm me off with the Ex demo from the shelf as that was the only one they had in stock!:razz:

Regarding the Jessops stock, I called their helpline last week sometime and the nice lady told me their Guernsey store had one in stock. I suppose that's how they can get away with still having the 'available for collection' option on their website. A bit cheeky if you ask me, but if you're in Guernsey and looking for a D7000 then I guess you can indeed collect from the store. As for the rest of us on the mainland (ie most people), the waiting game continues - it might be a little more helpful if they made the extreme scarcity of stock more obvious rather than the rather misleading and somewhat opaque 'available for collection' option. Ho hum. Thought I'd share anyway.

.... will arrive Tuesday,
:(worried look on face, Calumet still haven't processed the order, I hope they weren't telling porkies when they said they had the d7000 in stock:crying:. Or Im I just getting too excited like a kid on Christmas eve :D

:LOL:

Jessops told me today they will be getting deliveries of regular stock into their stores next week, we shall see how true that turns out to be.

I would expect the LCE nearby to get stock first as they are a Nikon Pro Dealer whereas Jessops aren't...

I don't believe I've seen anyone mention this and until I moved to LR4, I hadn't noticed it either but is anyone else having issues with LR underexposing RAW images? On the LCD they look well exposed, on my iPad they look well exposed but import to LR and they consistently need a +0.9 or +1.9 exposure tweak and tweaks to blacks, whites etc.

As you can imagine, it's really rather annoying! A quick google suggests it may be the fact I had Active D Lighting on, I've turned it off and will have to give it a go again and also that a few other D7000 users are having this issue.

I don't believe I've seen anyone mention this and until I moved to LR4, I hadn't noticed it either but is anyone else having issues with LR underexposing RAW images? On the LCD they look well exposed, on my iPad they look well exposed but import to LR and they consistently need a +0.9 or +1.9 exposure tweak and tweaks to blacks, whites etc.

As you can imagine, it's really rather annoying! A quick google suggests it may be the fact I had Active D Lighting on, I've turned it off and will have to give it a go again and also that a few other D7000 users are having this issue.

I presume you mean on the histogram rather than just how bright the image looks on the review image? Of course the review image brightness is controlled by the LCD brightness setting :shrug:

if you're struggling finding D7000s, I saw that a few of the stalls at Focus had them last week... they may well have been empty boxes, but with stall space at a premium...

from memory (and it's not entirely reliable :LOL: ) 1st cameras and Jacobs might be worth a go?

Jessops told me today they will be getting deliveries of regular stock into their stores next week, we shall see how true that turns out to be.

I would expect the LCE nearby to get stock first as they are a Nikon Pro Dealer whereas Jessops aren't...
Jessops site seems to have changed to "stock arriving tomorrow for home delivery", which is probably a good sign... I think I'll give Calumet a bell and see if they're expecing any, would rather nip in in person to get mine.

FWIW folks a few Calumet stores are showing the D7K and 18-105 kit in stock - Manchester, Edinburgh, Belfast and Birmingham all showing in stock at present.

the status page on Calumet now shows "to be shipped" :clap:, so it's moved closer to the post room, now where did they put those stamps:LOL:

I just phoned Calumet Edinburgh, who have body-only stock coming in tomorrow or Friday, so I've hopefully got one put aside for me (y)

:crying::crying: its still "to be shipped" , I think calumet are a little meager in the truth when they stated they "had the D7000 in stock" and "2 day delivery", its nearly 6 days now :(, and they still haven't found the carrier pigeon to send it to me!:eek:
I may have words tomorrow:bat:

should arrive Friday,:clap::clap: according to Nice lady on end of phone, but website still shows "to be shipped":(
I can guarantee it will arrive just after wifey goes shopping and before i get home, and will be available in a depot for pick up some 50 miles away:puke:

i popped into the friendly local jacobs store.. they said they had been waiting 2 months for one.

He got excited when he saw one availble at a store.. then was disappointed to find it was a faulty one that hadnt been sent back!

:banana::nikon::clap: its here - :plus1: for calumet,
now i have to wait for the battery to charge:(

ow why does it take so long...:LOL: ( 2 minutes out of the box )

Back