Nikon D7xxx owners thread

No, nothing here either that I have noticed.

Its annoying. Press down on the hand grip without huge pressure and the bidy creaks slightly. I dont even think Nikon would cover that under warranty would they?

Thanks again guys - sounds like I am making the right choice. After shooting film for 30 years it's a big jump to go digital - so much to learn. When you have a large collection of glass compatibility becomes very important.

Thanks

Totally agree with you on that. I learned my trade on the Nikon FM2s, F3's F4's. and in the darkroom I could see which way photography was going - digital and just put it on hold for a few years. In some respects it was a lot easier in those days and that's what I thought until I got my D7000.

After doing a lot of extensive research I plumbed for the D7000 as it had some very good reviews and could do everything I could and more with my previous cameras. My only initial concern was that I couldn't find a reference to a bulb setting - no worries it has one in manual and No PC socket - again not a problem you don't need one with a simple adaption of a hotshoe trigger. The only downside is I could not use my old Nikon SB24 which at the time was the top of the range flash for the F4. I have kept it for light painting etc but also invested in a SB910 which is superb.

My old glass fits nicely (no concerns there). Just switch the AF mode on the camera body off and away you go. Two green triangles in the viewfinder tell you which way to focus and you get a reassuringly 'green circle' when your in focus. Certainly the old glass wont detract you from using the D7000 in anyway.

That said, the bonus of being able to view your images immediately and get out of the darkroom is a real bonus. Now i'm just learning how to doge and burn digitally same process different medium. I'm very happy with my purchase and I think you will be too.(y)

Nick

Quick question - do any of you have any creaking noise issues with the body of your D7000?

I get some creaking noise around the hand grip area. More annoying than anything, especially given my D90 doesn't have this issue at all and feels solid all over.

Not on mine, this shouldn't happen. For some reason this does not sound like a good fit. I would explain your concerns to Nikon in the hope that they can sort it or replace which would be my first choice if still under warranty. In the first instance it may be worth going back to the shop to see if they can assist ?

Ok spoke to a lovely lady at Nikon. She said it was not a unique problem as she has come across it before (most people ignore it) but if its bothering me then they will sort it out under warranty. Nice!

Ok spoke to a lovely lady at Nikon. She said it was not a unique problem as she has come across it before (most people ignore it) but if its bothering me then they will sort it out under warranty. Nice!

Great news, I'm pleased for you and another reason for buying Nikon. Their Customer Support is first class. The Waterboard, Broadband and other consumer services would do well if they could take a leaf out of Nikon's book !

Nikon customer service is great. I always use the live chat thing from Nikon and they always response quick, well manner and very helpful through out the whole process. I don't have problem with Nikon so far with all my products.

Am I right in thinking that its not possible to manually select a focus point using the top LCD alone? Just realised its something I do regularly on my D90, but on the D7K it seems only possible to view selected focus point thru the viewfinder... Hmmm.

Thanks Nick

Sounds like I've made the right choice. I am hoping my local dealer will have inventory soon of the D7000s.

Of course, with DX my widest lens is nolonger so wide, so in the market for something there also. This is proving to be a challenge as the widest prime I can find is 20mm, which is DX is 30mm. I guess I may have to bite the bullet and buy something DX only for now as I can't swing one of the fast Nikon ultra-wide zooms and new body as well.

Nothing is easy.

oh yes - all of a sudden the D700's have disappeared from the camera webdealers here in Canada..I guess the D800 must be shipping and no more D700's to be had. (I was originally thinking maybe I go with the D700 and then I wouldn't need a new wide lens right away). D800's are over $3000cdn so it's a no-go.

ScenicsAbound said:
oh yes - all of a sudden the D700's have disappeared from the camera webdealers here in Canada..I guess the D800 must be shipping and no more D700's to be had. (I was originally thinking maybe I go with the D700 and then I wouldn't need a new wide lens right away). D800's are over $3000cdn so it's a no-go.
I've not been paying really close attention, but was sure a talking head at nikon said that the D700 would continue on in the range, sitting below the D800 (like the D90/D7K). That may have been nonsense to keep people buying remaining D700's tho!

I've not been paying really close attention, but was sure a talking head at nikon said that the D700 would continue on in the range, sitting below the D800 (like the D90/D7K). That may have been nonsense to keep people buying remaining D700's tho!

They would say that right until stock of bodies and parts for manufacture run out. Nothing new.

I'd imagine if you were wanting to pick up a D700, the next few months should see some nicely priced used bodies.

ausemmao said:
They would say that right until stock of bodies and parts for manufacture run out. Nothing new.

I'd imagine if you were wanting to pick up a D700, the next few months should see some nicely priced used bodies.

I'm cynical too, but the D90 has continued on for a good long while since the D7K came out, despite people speculating that it was a replacement.

jimbobc said:
Amazon uk have some stock at £850

Good spot, grab one soon if you're going to folks, they didn't last long last time round... I clicked the link ten minutes ago and it said "in stock", now says "less than 10 remaining"

Does anyone use a non-Nikon grip on theirs?

I bought (what I thought) was the genuine article from an amazon seller (fulfilled by amazon) and it turned out to be fake so I'm a bit wary now!

Anyone else seen this, I have had the D7000 only a few weeks, charged it like 3 times, but when i was away last week and charged dropped to approx 22%, the battery life indicator had gone to "4" and red and the help said the battery needed replacing:eek:

After recharging it has gone back to normal "0" but the arrow is now yellow.

I will cycle a few more times to see if it happens again.

i was just wondering if there was a problem with the battery, i will contact Nikon if it happens again.

battery should last donkeys. You may need to contact Nikon about that. My D7000 battery was left in my camera for 5 weeks untouch. Turn it on last night and the battery only drop 1 bar.

Hi. Just picked my d7000 up Last Wednesday and this camera is amazing. Looking forward to getting to grips with it :)

Been hovering over the 'Buy' button for a few weeks now - finally did it! Can't wait for it to arrive now.

Back in stock at Amazon, now with £80 cash back from Nikon. Put the trusty D60 on eBay to fund it.

Last edited:
just typical with my luck, Nikon cash back 2 weeks after I get my D7000.

Just to add to the previous post it was £819.99 + £80 cashback earlier today at Amazon. Already gone but maybe worth keeping an eye for extra stock or cancellations if you are after one.

vizzair said:
just typical with my luck, Nikon cash back 2 weeks after I get my D7000.
I feel your pain, exact same situ here... However I've a friends wedding later this week, so if I'd left it any later I wouldn't have had time to learn my D7K's nuances, so I'm still happy.

Maybe not eighty quid happier tho :LOL:

Amazon prices up and down by the day it seems

I bought mine on 27th March for £849, 2 days before cashback offer. I wrote to Nikon explaining the I had been to Focus, spoken to their staff and to Jacobs and Calumet but effectively there were no bodies in the country unless i wanted a kit.:(

I am a previous registered Nikon DSLR owner but that cuts no ice. I feel that there should be some sort of heads up on this sort of discount to registered Nikon owners. I would not have minded if they had said that I did not qualify for the cashback but could have some money off a flash or lens or something. Then they would get a further receipt anyway.

But no change from Nikon:bang:

The camera looks and feels nice anyway. perhaps I should have been a bit more patient.:thinking:

Time to get on with life!

My D7000 and SB700 flash arrived from Amazon today! Can't wait to get out with it, too bad it's been blowing an absolute gale today!

Decided on the 16-85mm Nikon lens as my general purpose lens, to add to my existing 50mm 1.4 and 70-300mm Nikon varieties.

Last edited:
I've badly damaged my knee and not able to go out walking except for a few hundred yards on absolutely level ground. It's going to be a long job as wait for operation will be about 6 months. I'm finding it extremely frustrating that I can't take any photos from a low viewpoint and so am considering getting a right angle viewer. The Nikon brand one is outside my budget so I am wondering if anyone has experience of some of the cheaper ones on ebay.

I've badly damaged my knee and not able to go out walking except for a few hundred yards on absolutely level ground. It's going to be a long job as wait for operation will be about 6 months. I'm finding it extremely frustrating that I can't take any photos from a low viewpoint and so am considering getting a right angle viewer. The Nikon brand one is outside my budget so I am wondering if anyone has experience of some of the cheaper ones on ebay.

I got one of the cheaper ones, they do work to a degree but you pay for what you get.:|.
Mine distorts the image seen. Just looking through it without attaching it to the camera shows how much it distorts.:puke:

It also seems to not focus properly when i switch to the x2 mode either. I can focus on the grid lines in the view but the image, even though actually focused properly ( according to live view), just doesn't look right.

But saying that, I use it for low level shots or when its on a tripod pointing up. The viewer does rotate 180 deg so you can use it an any angle.

I got one of the cheaper ones, they do work to a degree but you pay for what you get.:|.
Mine distorts the image seen. Just looking through it without attaching it to the camera shows how much it distorts.:puke:

It also seems to not focus properly when i switch to the x2 mode either. I can focus on the grid lines in the view but the image, even though actually focused properly ( according to live view), just doesn't look right.

But saying that, I use it for low level shots or when its on a tripod pointing up. The viewer does rotate 180 deg so you can use it an any angle.

Thank you John. It's got to be one of the cheaper ones I'm afraid. I'm undecided between the Seagull and the Opteka Professional 1X-2.5X Right Angle Viewfinder , which is around £43 on Amazon. Anyone any experience of these please? I've decided against getting one off ebay from China though as I notice any returns if anything wrong I would be responsible for the return postage.

Took delivery of the gold box today. Funny how long the battery takes to charge when you are waiting for it :)

Coming from the film world the D7000 menus are a bit overwhelming - however I read about a site from someone's previous post ( http://www.everythingd7000.co.uk/ ) and it was VERY helpful.

Next step - program in my MF primes.

I will let everyone know how that goes.

Looks like lots of reading tonight.

Randy

Took delivery of the gold box today. Funny how long the battery takes to charge when you are waiting for it :)

Coming from the film world the D7000 menus are a bit overwhelming - however I read about a site from someone's previous post ( http://www.everythingd7000.co.uk/ ) and it was VERY helpful.

Next step - program in my MF primes.

I will let everyone know how that goes.

Looks like lots of reading tonight.

Randy

I am relatively new to Digital SLR's what do you mean by MF primes?

Back