Nikon D7xxx owners thread

Does anyone use a non-Nikon grip on theirs?

I bought (what I thought) was the genuine article from an amazon seller (fulfilled by amazon) and it turned out to be fake so I'm a bit wary now!

I use a Ebay grip on mine, works perfectly and makes the camera feel much better IMO.

Ive had the grip about a year but recently its stopped taking power from the AA batteries I put in it, the buttons still work though.

Might just get another as they are only cheap.

CrazeUK said:
Oh duh! silly me.
Ok next question: what do you mean by: program in my MF primes

You can put the lenses into a database, so that when you use the MF lenses the EXIF data is recorded completely with f/stop and focal length.

redddraggon said:
You can put the lenses into a database, so that when you use the MF lenses the EXIF data is recorded completely with f/stop and focal length.

Actually the key thing is that the metering works properly as the manual focus non CPU lenses don't pass the aperture and focal length information. That way when you move the ring the camera knows and understands.

I love my ais 105 f2.5 prime, is it such a brilliant lens and a bargain for just £65.

Anyone figured out how to deal with the (very minor!) chromatic aberration with fast primes wide open? Have read that "lens correction" should sort it, but doesn't. Slightly annoying that my D90 shows not a bean and I can't get rid of it in-camera on the D7K! Will be very simple to sort on LR, but just wondered if anyone else had encountered it...

See also: back focussing :LOL:

the D7000 allows you to preset up to 9 non-cpu lens, so you can tell the camera what you are using, and it marks the data in the EXIF.

the D7000 allows you to preset up to 9 non-cpu lens, so you can tell the camera what you are using, and it marks the data in the EXIF.

Lol now we are going far too technical for me.. I am still trying to understand the whole focus thing

Hi CrazeUK

If you look on one of your lenses near the mount you will see a series of small brass colored 'pins'. These are actually electrical connections that allow a small 'chip' within the lens to provide information to the camera, as well as receive focus info from the camera. This is what they call a 'CPU' lens.

Older lenses do not have these pins nor do they have a chip inside. They are purely mechanical, and the method they used to 'communicate' the aperture value to the camera body was by the mechanical linkage at the base of the lens (the ring that has the aperture numbers).

The D7000 allows you to 'program' up to 9 different non-CPU lens values into the camera. Once done you simply tell the body which lens you have mounted (1-9) and as a result of the information you previously programmed it will know what the focal length is (ex 50mm) and what the maximum aperture is (ex 1.4). This information allows the camera to then use the different exposure modes (matrix, center or spot) and also helps provide better flash exposures.

Additionally, the D7000 also has a mechanical AF (autofocus) linkage for those non AFS lenses. These were AF lenses but they required a motor/linkage within the camera to actually spin the focus gears inside the lens. Most AF lenses now are AFS (S=internal servo) meaning the camera only needs to provide voltage, the lens has its own motor. The AFS is better/faster but the D7000's ability to handle the non-AFS AF lenses is important for those of us with those types of lenses.

Next time you are in a camera shop that has used gear look for an old AI-S MF lens - you should be able to pick up a 28mm or 50mm prime lens for next to nothing. You will find it fun to play with and you will be amazed at how bright your viewfinder becomes and of course the picture quality is amazing. 50mm f1.4 lenses are cheap but make great portrait lenses on DX bodies as they allow you to control DOF (Depth Of Field) so well.

Hopefully this helps.

Randy

Well after a number of adding the camera to the shopping basket and then wimping out moments. I've finally gone and bought one!

Bye bye Canon 400D and hello Nikon D7000.

Spec's and reviews of the D7000 looked much better than the 60D and wasnt all that sold on the 7D for the bit extra money so Nikon it is.

Anyone else made a similar jump?

I didnt have much glass for the Canon so wasn't too tricky a decision in the end. Will hopefully trade that kit in for some new glass. Probably an ultra wide.

Cant wait for it to arrive. Hopefully have time to get used to it before my trip to Marrakech.

Matt

Great explanation thanks for that. :D

Depending on how expensive the older lenses are i might look to see how much a 35mm or 50mm f1.4 is to compare it to the f.18 i have
Hi CrazeUK

If you look on one of your lenses near the mount you will see a series of small brass colored 'pins'. These are actually electrical connections that allow a small 'chip' within the lens to provide information to the camera, as well as receive focus info from the camera. This is what they call a 'CPU' lens.

Older lenses do not have these pins nor do they have a chip inside. They are purely mechanical, and the method they used to 'communicate' the aperture value to the camera body was by the mechanical linkage at the base of the lens (the ring that has the aperture numbers).

The D7000 allows you to 'program' up to 9 different non-CPU lens values into the camera. Once done you simply tell the body which lens you have mounted (1-9) and as a result of the information you previously programmed it will know what the focal length is (ex 50mm) and what the maximum aperture is (ex 1.4). This information allows the camera to then use the different exposure modes (matrix, center or spot) and also helps provide better flash exposures.

Additionally, the D7000 also has a mechanical AF (autofocus) linkage for those non AFS lenses. These were AF lenses but they required a motor/linkage within the camera to actually spin the focus gears inside the lens. Most AF lenses now are AFS (S=internal servo) meaning the camera only needs to provide voltage, the lens has its own motor. The AFS is better/faster but the D7000's ability to handle the non-AFS AF lenses is important for those of us with those types of lenses.

Next time you are in a camera shop that has used gear look for an old AI-S MF lens - you should be able to pick up a 28mm or 50mm prime lens for next to nothing. You will find it fun to play with and you will be amazed at how bright your viewfinder becomes and of course the picture quality is amazing. 50mm f1.4 lenses are cheap but make great portrait lenses on DX bodies as they allow you to control DOF (Depth Of Field) so well.

Hopefully this helps.

Randy

The AFS is better/faster but the D7000's ability to handle the non-AFS AF lenses is important for those of us with those types of lenses.

A fantastic post Randy - just to nitpick on this point, this is not universally the case. Some AF-S lenses have had sluggish autofocus performance compared to some of their AF-D predecessors. For instance, many people are disappointed by the AF performance of the 50mm 1.4G compared to the 1.4D, and there are some other examples off the top of my head. Quieter, almost certainly, but not always faster.

Well after a number of adding the camera to the shopping basket and then wimping out moments. I've finally gone and bought one!

Bye bye Canon 400D and hello Nikon D7000.

Matt

welcome to the club. I moved from d5000.
The one thing i was surpised about was how good the 18-105 kit lens is for me(Im not a professional, or sell photos:| ). I really love the manual override for the focus.
Set up focus on the EL-FL button, then press to focus or just twist the ring to do it manually, no need to switch the lens or camera from manual to auto and back.

Thats good news about the 18-105 as I wasnt sure about it. Went with it as that kit was the only stock at Clifton at the time. Was going to see how it was before looking at something else.

Matt

Hi has anyone experienced this:-
I recently shot some Landscapes and the histogram on the camera showed a good exposure (no clipped shadows or highlights).
But when I went to process them an opened them in ACR they were all showing under exposure with clipped shadows!
Do I trust the camera or ACR or can anyone tell me why I'm getting this!

open them in ViewNX and see what the histogram shows there. IMO viewnx is much better for opening nef files. Saying that are you using raw or jpeg, if you shoot raw you can also tweek them in viewNX.

vizzair said:
open them in ViewNX and see what the histogram shows there. IMO viewnx is much better for opening nef files. Saying that are you using raw or jpeg, if you shoot raw you can also tweek them in viewNX.

Thanks,I'll try ViewNX an see what that gives me!
Yes I am shooting Raw,didn't want to over expose in camera just to get the Histogram in ACR looking right!

A fantastic post Randy - just to nitpick on this point, this is not universally the case. Some AF-S lenses have had sluggish autofocus performance compared to some of their AF-D predecessors. For instance, many people are disappointed by the AF performance of the 50mm 1.4G compared to the 1.4D, and there are some other examples off the top of my head. Quieter, almost certainly, but not always faster.
True enough Freecom2. I was speaking in general terms.

One thing I have noticed in my limited exposure to AF lens (I shoot mostly MF primes) is that the AF-S tend to have the speed advantage on the longer focal length/heavier zoom lenses whereas on the shorter focal/prime AF's the AF-D has the edge.

I think it is very body dependent also. I have a couple F90x bodies and they focus my 80-200 f2.8 AF-D extremely fast whereas the new D7000 is extremely slow focusing. No doubt the variable in a lot of this is the motor within the body - strong motor=faster focusing on the AF-D. I would assume on the AF-S the only limiting factor would be the amount of current made available to the servo in the lens by the body - so there could be variables between bodies on that end also.

I appreciate the feedback - Thank you.

Randy

Yes, certainly the case. The F5 and the D1H were examples of Nikon cameras with very strong autofocus motors, so much so that somewhere on the net described them as "brutal". Again, very much a nitpicking point and I suspect the number of D7000s which will never ever screw-drive an AF/AF-D lens is a fair percentage.

Yes, certainly the case. The F5 and the D1H were examples of Nikon cameras with very strong autofocus motors, so much so that somewhere on the net described them as "brutal". Again, very much a nitpicking point and I suspect the number of D7000s which will never ever screw-drive an AF/AF-D lens is a fair percentage.
LOL - I am looking to replace my MF 50mm (worn out) and I think I will probably go for the AF-D. For some reason I just can't get my head around owning a lens not having an aperture ring, and I believe all the AF-S 50mm's are "G" lenses from what I can tell. I guess until I sell my FM2 aperture rings will always be in my kit.

The 'lump', what is the rounded 'lump' on the side if the body between the 'AF' 'M' switch and the end doors :thinking:

I've been trying to buy a D7000 body, but haven't had any luck. Every dealer I call I get the same response - "We have no stock, but can order one for you. We don't know how long it will take."

So given that there's virtually nil UK stock, Nikon UK in their wisdom have gone ahead and announced a cashback offer. I thought cashback offers were to stimulate demand, but given the limited supply the demand is off the scale anyway.

Any advice?

I've been trying to buy a D7000 body, but haven't had any luck. Every dealer I call I get the same response - "We have no stock, but can order one for you. We don't know how long it will take."

So given that there's virtually nil UK stock, Nikon UK in their wisdom have gone ahead and announced a cashback offer. I thought cashback offers were to stimulate demand, but given the limited supply the demand is off the scale anyway.

Any advice?

Just ordered one 'with' 18-105, didn't wan't the lens, but there is no other way.
I'll see how the lens performs and then may pass it on.

Edit...ordered it with the 35mm f1.8 (the lens I really wanted), Camera + 2 lenses = £100 cashback.

Last edited:
Hi has anyone experienced this:-
I recently shot some Landscapes and the histogram on the camera showed a good exposure (no clipped shadows or highlights).
But when I went to process them an opened them in ACR they were all showing under exposure with clipped shadows!
Do I trust the camera or ACR or can anyone tell me why I'm getting this!

Which camera profile are you using? Adobe standard is horrible - switch to one of the others.

Also, did you have Active D-lighting on? If you did the camera will have lowered the actual exposure and applied a different tone curve - one that ACR will not read. So you'll need to mess with that to compensate.

Anyone figured out how to deal with the (very minor!) chromatic aberration with fast primes wide open? Have read that "lens correction" should sort it, but doesn't. Slightly annoying that my D90 shows not a bean and I can't get rid of it in-camera on the D7K! Will be very simple to sort on LR, but just wondered if anyone else had encountered it...

See also: back focussing :LOL:

Which type of CA? Only one type (the kind that gets worse the further from centre you are) is correctable in software. The kind that depends on distance from focal plane can't really be corrected.

ausemmao said:
Which type of CA? Only one type (the kind that gets worse the further from centre you are) is correctable in software. The kind that depends on distance from focal plane can't really be corrected.
Purple fringing around bright edges, for example on an uplighter, bang in centre of frame. As said I need to really look for it, but its there... Not there with D90, same lens/settings.

Which camera profile are you using? Adobe standard is horrible - switch to one of the others.

Also, did you have Active D-lighting on? If you did the camera will have lowered the actual exposure and applied a different tone curve - one that ACR will not read. So you'll need to mess with that to compensate.

The D lighting is set to normal in camera so will turn that off and yes the camera profile was set to standard in ACR so will change that also!:bonk:

Thanks for the advice!(y)

If there is anyone from Canada "sitting on the fence" with regards to making the purchase of a D7000 I see that vistek.ca has a weekend sale on for $1029cdn (body only). Best price I have seen here in Canada. I believe they have stock as well. Henrys.ca also has stock and they will generally match prices.

I've had mine a week now and loving it.

i finally made the decision to buy a d7000 new as i couldnt get a 2nd hand one .... i've not long received an email saying its now instore the wait is over and im off to pick it up from jessops shortly :)

Lucky you! Enjoy it, there is nothing like picking up a new toy!

Got mine a couple of weeks ago, still getting to grips with it. But love it!

got it :) ...glad i got it ..now just waiting on the battery charging :):)

I would really like a D7000, but they are showing £898 for the D7000 body only at Amazon. Last time they had them in stock a few weeks ago, they were £819! I should have bought one then... With their cashback offer that would have been £739. Doh!

According to camera price buster, the cheapest they ever were before the Thai flooding was £770, so if I got one for under £900 and the cashback on top, I'd be happy, given their scarcity.

I did in fact pay £850 for mine two weeks before cashback started, but am not bitter, as they still seem to be in short supply :)

vizzair said:
not getting the 24Mp d3200 then

Heh :) No.

Does make one wonder what the hell the D800's going to be tho, but that's probably for another thread...

looking at the supply situation, you problably have a better chance at getting the rumoured D7100 in Nov that a D7000 anytime.:LOL:

looking at the supply situation, you problably have a better chance at getting the rumoured D7100 in Nov that a D7000 anytime.:LOL:

Or the D800 :bang:

Seriously, this supply thing is ridiculous.

On the other hand, when I take the camera out and take some pictures, it turns out I can "live" with it for another year :D :

4.jpg

4.jpg

4.jpg

Question for me now is when to get the 24mm 1.4...

I love the D7000! My friend has one, wish I could afford one :(

Beautiful piece of kit!

ausemmao said:
Or the D800 :bang:

Seriously, this supply thing is ridiculous.

On the other hand, when I take the camera out and take some pictures, it turns out I can "live" with it for another year :D :

Question for me now is when to get the 24mm 1.4...

Great photos :)

Given that the british summer is nearly here, just how rain proof is the D7000 ? , and the 18-105 kit lens or 55-200 zoom.

Nikon state it is "enviromentally sealed" but what does that mean in practical terms, anyone any experiences with their beloved D7000 in damp conditions.

Back