Nikon D7xxx owners thread

the body might be sealed - but I dont think the lenses are.

The reports I have read on the net say weatherproofing means, moist and dust proofing - maybe even light rain - ideally though you want some sort of cover on it if you are going to be shooting the rain.

Yes, as above. Environmental sealing is protection from dust and moisture (humidity rather than rain). You have to move up to the d300(s) for full weather sealing.

Given that the british summer is nearly here, just how rain proof is the D7000 ? , and the 18-105 kit lens or 55-200 zoom.

Nikon state it is "enviromentally sealed" but what does that mean in practical terms, anyone any experiences with their beloved D7000 in damp conditions.

I took my D7000 with 18-105 lens down a ice crevasse the other day. The groups body heat started melting the ice above and my camera got pretty wet. It hasn't shown any signs of side effects (y)

Hopefully will be getting my D7000 in a few weeks. :) I am going to buy a macro lens as well but I have no idea which one to get. My main interest is photographing insects and I like to get up quite close to the subject. Thought about the 105mm but the closest focusing distance is about 12" so not sure. Has anybody tried the 105mm with the D7000?

Hopefully will be getting my D7000 in a few weeks. :) I am going to buy a macro lens as well but I have no idea which one to get. My main interest is photographing insects and I like to get up quite close to the subject. Thought about the 105mm but the closest focusing distance is about 12" so not sure. Has anybody tried the 105mm with the D7000?

I wouldn't want to use anything shorter than 105 for insects. That focusing distance is distance from the sensor plane, not lens front element. The distance between the front element and the insect would be nearer 6", and adding the hood...

ausemmao said:
I wouldn't want to use anything shorter than 105 for insects. That focusing distance is distance from the sensor plane, not lens front element. The distance between the front element and the insect would be nearer 6", and adding the hood...
Yep, this. Also, you actually want the camera as far away from beasties as possible, so they're not disturbed by you. I have a tamron 90mm macro and with closest focus the front element is very close to the subject! That said, the tamron extends with focusing, whereas I believe the 105mm nikkor does not (y)

I came across a weird problem with my D7000.

I shot a wedding on saturday with 2 x 16GB SDHC (PNY) cards. (both were formatted in camera using the menu).

Slot 1 was set to JPG and Slot 2 for RAW.

Counter on the top was showing total available around 467 - which I thought was normal.

Anyway, I was happily snapping away during the day, when the count was getting low around 50 shots remaining, and had a bit of time, so took this opportunity to swap out both cards for another 2 x 16GB (integral ultima). Again, formatted and counter on the top showed 467.

When I got home, I put the 16GB (PNY) cards in to the card reader to download the photos.

To my astonishment - I had taken 720 pics on one 16GB card (JPG) and also 720 (RAW) on the other.

Why did the counter on the top only show originally 467?

Anyone else noticed this?

redddraggon said:
Nikon always underestimate the number shots, seems to be the same with all Nikons.

My D40 and D90 do the same, no reason for D7K to be different... Apparently it's to do with the actual detail captured in the images, more detailed images take up more space :)

Daisy

A quick suggestion as another alternative. I've only had my D7000 for a couple weeks so there is still lots of my film kit that have yet to try on it, however today I tried my old extension tubes - and they worked great. Full metering and the exposures looked to be right on at both min & max aperture. Due to the D7000's ability to handle non-CPU lenses this might be another option for you, especially if you want to get 'macro' type photos but still maintain a safe distance from the critters.
Mine are an old Vivitar set I bought a long time ago, but they have standard 'AI' mechanics so I can use my newer AF lenses as well as my older MF prime lenses and still maintain full metering & aperture control.

Food for thought.

Randy

Last edited:
D7000 BACK FOCUSING ISSUE - I bought a D7000 back in Nov 2011 and love it however I have always questioned the sharpness of my images. (Using DX lenses) Large apertures.
I just purchased a 50mm Fixed lens (f1.4) and tested it on ts focus and realized it was way out (back focusing)
Visited Nikon (Empire Tower,Bangkok) and they calibrated the lens however when I got back to the hotel it was still out. (Back focusing)
Tested again and I adjusted the fine tune (at -20 it was close to beng in focus but probably needed to go to -22. -20 is the maximum adjustment. Went back to Nikon and put camera in for calibration (under European warranty so I have to pay)
REALLY HOPE THEY CALIBRATE THE CAMERA AND NOT JUST CONDUCT A FINE TUNE. Collecting on Thursday (10 hour round trip by train this time!)
If you question your cameras focusing, best conduct a test. Obviously it is only apparant at larger apertures with minimal depth of field but not acceptable to focus on forward eye and get rear eye in focus!!!
Any similar problems - resolutions????

D7000 BACK FOCUSING ISSUE- I bought a D7000 back in Nov 2011 and love it however I have always questioned the sharpness of my images. (Using DX lenses) Large apertures.
I just purchased a 50mm Fixed lens (f1.4) and tested it on ts focus and realized it was way out (back focusing)
Visited Nikon (Empire Tower,Bangkok) and they calibrated the lens however when I got back to the hotel it was still out. (Back focusing)
Tested again and I adjusted the fine tune (at -20 it was close to beng in focus but probably needed to go to -22. -20 is the maximum adjustment. Went back to Nikon and put camera in for calibration (under European warranty so I have to pay)
REALLY HOPE THEY CALIBRATE THE CAMERA AND NOT JUST CONDUCT A FINE TUNE.
Collecting on Thursday (10 hour round trip by train this time!)
If you question your cameras focusing, best conduct a test. Obviously it is only apparant at larger apertures with minimal depth of field but not acceptable to focus on forward eye and get rear eye in focus!!!
Apparently mine is not the only D7000 to come out of the factory with a poor auto focus calibration. Have seen it documented that Nikon do not see it as a problem maily because a lot of users do not identify it. Not sure what Nikons take on it is.
Any similar problems - resolutions????

Hi all,

I bought a 2nd had D7000 about 6 months ago and all was working fine until around 6 weeks ago. I posted a message up here about a slight autofocus issue I had, my sigma 24-70 f2.8 lens had slipped its focus ring into the MF position without me knowing and when I tried to autofocus the lens it sent out a strange noise sounding like a motor under stress. Not knowing what it was i attempted to AF several times before realsing the focus ring has slipped into MF so I quickly popped it back to the AF position and the lens autofocussed fine.

This has happened a further 2 times to me of late.

Ok so onto my problem, im seeming to get some focusing issues, I do alot of sports and have noticed im getting much more OOF images when shooting in AF-C. I recently did a portrait shoot for a client and noticed that the faces on alot of them images were OOF where the background, whether it was trees or a bench, seemed in focus.

This is constant whith whatever lens im using (mainly Siggg 24-70 and Nikkor 70-200 f2.8)

Yesterday I shot a ice hockey match and the problem was more evident that ever. Below is an image taken of 2 players, one is about 1-1.5m infront of the other and ive used ViewNX to highlight my focus point location.

Untitled.jpg

Image is straight from camera, no editing. As you can see the player ive focusing on is blurry but the player behind in more in focus.

Ive got tonnes of work booked in for the next few days and my D7000 is my main body so any help people could offer would be greatly appreciated.

Matt :(

P.S: Ive popped this message in the D7000 owners thread also.
Did you resolve this issue, it is not accepltable to just conduct a fine tune in an attempt to resolve what may be a camera calibration issue. Fine tune is as the name suggests, although it will help in the short term. See my post today as i have the same problem.

Regards. Paul

All cameras can do this and just when it happens you send it in, it gets fixed. Mine was send to Nikon UK and I received it back within a week. Job done. But isnt that normal that you get it fixed when it is broken?

Mines back-focuses slightly with the 35mm at large apertures, have only conducted highly unscientific tests with newspapers so far, but looks like micro adjusting 5-10 points will address it, but so far I've not been too bothered to do any more in-depth testing, because who shoots wide-open all the time anyway?

Sounds like your problem may be more severe, but there's not a lot can be done other than return camera and lens to Nikon. The web is full of posts/rants about this issue, seems like some folks are taking it a lot more seriously than others...

Hi Andrew. It came back yesterday and the back focus issue is now fixed. I had to re-adjust my lenses last night as they were all back focussing before and now they are much better. I couldn't get good focus with my 24-70 even with it set to -20 and now it's bang on at 0 on the focus adjust.
Once Nikon received the camera they had it back to me in 7 days so a pretty good turnaround.
They also cleaned under the low pass filter as there was dust underneath it (had it professionally cleaned 3 times before and they couldn't move it so was definitely under the filter) and all is well now with the camera:)

Did they actually say what they did to fix it?

Paul Kerton said:
Did they actually say what they did to fix it?

Just said they recalibrated it and cleaned under the low pass filter. It's definitely very much improved. If yours is out, get it sent in - Nikon will even pay postage both ways.

Daisey said:

Yes I have one, it's great lens...a bit slow to focus but very sharp. It also can take TC's which is a little known fact and a decent option if you find it a little short.

JulesP said:
Just said they recalibrated it and cleaned under the low pass filter. It's definitely very much improved. If yours is out, get it sent in - Nikon will even pay postage both ways.

I've got about -17 dialled in on the fine tune for all my lenses, would like to get Nikon to take a look at it whilst it is under warranty. How did you arrange it? Via the website? Phone? Or through a shop?

I got mine from Amazon.

Thanks

Gypsy_Biker said:
I've got about -17 dialled in on the fine tune for all my lenses, would like to get Nikon to take a look at it whilst it is under warranty. How did you arrange it? Via the website? Phone? Or through a shop?

I got mine from Amazon.

Thanks

Take a look on Nikon's website, they have a list of registered warranty repair centres.

I have a problem with my AF and took it to fixation in south London to have that looked at.

Beardy said:
Yes I have one, it's great lens...a bit slow to focus but very sharp. It also can take TC's which is a little known fact and a decent option if you find it a little short.

I had the 105mm VR and actually found it very fast with the limit switched in (when do you AF closer than 50cm anyway?).

Fantastic lens, I'll be getting it again when finances say I can :)

talking of lenses, as anyone used a nikkor 50mm 1.4 AIS on the D7000, I may be able to get my hands on a second hand one, and was wondering if it was any good.

Mines in with Nikon Thailand. I phoned them today and will collect it tommorow. They say it is fixed. I will be asking precisely what was wrong with it.
Will post an update once collected. Fingers crossed,

I got mine from Amazon.

Thanks

Arranged it through the website. You just fill out an online form, print off a label with a unique ID for your job on it, box it up, stick label on box and drop it off at the post office. It gets sent to them on a 48 hour parcel service but they sent mine back on a 24 hour one. I phoned them once to check progress and they had it back to me within a week(y)

Mines in with Nikon Thailand. I phoned them today and will collect it tommorow. They say it is fixed. I will be asking precisely what was wrong with it.
Will post an update once collected. Fingers crossed,

Collected camera today. Staff at Nikon Thailand are wonderful. Camera required calibrating which was done by way of a software calibration. Focal point is now accurate.

anyone had any problems with the memory card slot not holding the cards in place?

Or the D800 :bang:

Seriously, this supply thing is ridiculous.

On the other hand, when I take the camera out and take some pictures, it turns out I can "live" with it for another year :D :

4.jpg

4.jpg

4.jpg

Question for me now is when to get the 24mm 1.4...

Wow i love the pics! amazing.
What is that flower?

Did you resolve this issue, it is not accepltable to just conduct a fine tune in an attempt to resolve what may be a camera calibration issue. Fine tune is as the name suggests, although it will help in the short term. See my post today as i have the same problem.

Regards. Paul

I have this same issue. And its ruined more than a few shots :s

Forgive me i dont always catch up with this thread, is the issue to do with the camera it self?

Also i dont remember which of the 3 lenses it is, so does it need to go back?

Last edited:
D7000 ordered so I'll be able to have a play around next week and hopefully start shooting some video.

Main things I need to get are a grip - are there good 3rd party ones available or do i need to go Nikon? - a few batteries, and a directional mic.

Last edited:
some 3rd party grips have the commander reversed. beware of fake grips on ebay. To be honest I didn't like the idea of a £25 grip on my £1K camera!

some 3rd party grips have the commander reversed. beware of fake grips on ebay. To be honest I didn't like the idea of a £25 grip on my £1K camera!

also cheaper grips wont have any weather sealing.

And in addition, I am a black rapid strap user and didn't like the idea of my camera and lens hanging on a bit of plastic. The original is enforced.

Back