Nikon D7xxx owners thread

Thanks for that - the samyang is a great lens, even though its manual focus it is very sharp. Next point i (wifey for my birthday) have some money to burn (spend i mean) what is the very sharpest zoom (nikon sigma et al) as a street, travel lens with 25 - 70 or thereabouts available for £600 or less or maybe a tad more for something exceptional!!!!!

I would love to know that as well ;) Having been down the tamron/sigma routes several times to save pennies to then later go down the Nikon versions and thus spend more to get there...I'd say the Nikon 24-70 f2.8 and possibly the Nikon 24-120 f4. Although you will be loosing a bit on the wide side...

Picked up my D7000 body today...charging the battery now, can't wait. :D
Thanks for your comments about macro lenses, ordered the 105 today should have it by next weekend. :D

mikeysaling said:
Thanks for that - the samyang is a great lens, even though its manual focus it is very sharp. Next point i (wifey for my birthday) have some money to burn (spend i mean) what is the very sharpest zoom (nikon sigma et al) as a street, travel lens with 25 - 70 or thereabouts available for £600 or less or maybe a tad more for something exceptional!!!!!

I use the Nikon 24-70 on my d7000 and it's phenomenally sharp - excellent lens on this body - if you can justify one, get it!

i can't believe that 10% + the cost of the camera is the battery!!!! ridiculous!!! (harry would say)

i can't believe that 10% + the cost of the camera is the battery!!!! ridiculous!!! (harry would say)

It is a very good battery :D For me, together with the eneloops (now there is a cost) in the official nikon grip, it hardly ever goes down...

mikeysaling said:

Camera batteries will always be more to buy separate to the camera as a spare battery is classed as a consumable and a luxury item as most people don't need one. It's an easy way to make cash for the manufacturers.
Most original batteries won't be made by the original camera manufacturer anyway - they will be out-sourced and cost pence to the OEM. Minimum cost - maximum income.

I used to work for Sony and batteries were so so expensive, 80% profit margin in most! And as written above, not many companies make their own batteries, they just put a label on them.

On a side not, still not managed to source my D7000. Do we think that used D7000's will be dropping in price any time soon? They seem to have reduced £50 on average on the bay!

I would say used D7000 prices will drop only based on a number of factors and/or a combination thereof;

a) New prices significantly drop over a sustained period of time, the current cash back offer is time limited, and considering the existing demand I don't expect it to be extended which makes the D7000 now more expensive than when I bought mine new last year :)
b) The next big thing comes out and the market gets flooded with D7000's...
c) An owner needs to sell very quickly for what ever reason and as a one off someone could get a bargain but that doesn't reflect the market situation I would say..
d) It is nicked ;)

Haha, as a potential Police Officer in training, I am not too sure I should be opting for option D.. Though, you never know what goods you are buying/handling.

Is there anything coming out over the next few months from Nikon that would drop the price of the D7000?

Haha, as a potential Police Officer in training, I am not too sure I should be opting for option D.. Though, you never know what goods you are buying/handling.

Is there anything coming out over the next few months from Nikon that would drop the price of the D7000?

Only thing I can think off is potentially a D400 or a D600...but either are at the rumour stage...

Hmm, Ok. Might be a little bit of a wait then.

Though, usually after a product goes through a cash back phase, the company do a cost adjust, thus making it cheaper. Here's hoping!

Good luck :) Alternatively you know what I want for mine on the other forum, though everything is negotiable ;)

Last edited:
When I can access the classifieds I am sure I will take someones off their hands.

Also been offered a D300s... Though I am really not sure if I want that!

MBZ3147 said:
Hi, looking for some advice on Thinktank Photo Urban Disguise 35 V2.0.
It will be holding D7000 with grip, 18-200mm, 10-20mm, 50mm prime, SB800, MacBook Pro 13"
Reviews show it will hold my kit no problem & when I finally get the 70-200 2.8 that too, does anyone use this bag?

Got one, been using it for 6 months. It's a tardis, in fact I can fit more gear in it than I like to carry around. I'm not sure the 70-200 will fit with everything else you have. Are you sure you want to carry it all! I've been considering the add on straps to make it a back pack when it's heavy. UD50 was too wide for my liking. UD35 is compact and easy to move around. Also fairly understated when it's a bit dusty.

Folks

Prices are starting to move downward here in Canada. Two months ago the body retailed for $1179(cdn). I got mine for $1029 on a sale ($1099 but then a price adjust as competitor had a special) and now I see one of the bigger retailers had them on for $999 although today back up to $1049. So still a bit up and down however the trend appears to be going down so I would assume availability must be getting better.

tictoc said:
Got one, been using it for 6 months. It's a tardis, in fact I can fit more gear in it than I like to carry around. I'm not sure the 70-200 will fit with everything else you have. Are you sure you want to carry it all! I've been considering the add on straps to make it a back pack when it's heavy. UD50 was too wide for my liking. UD35 is compact and easy to move around. Also fairly understated when it's a bit dusty.

Thank, I don't want to carry it all every time I'm out but I also don't want to be stuck either.
I have narrowed it down to UD 35 V2.0 or Retrospective 20, don't suppose you have any experience with this?

Just wondering - my control panel shows the number of shots remaining and the active slot - even when the camera is turned off - is this normal ? or how do i turn it off .

mikeysaling said:
Just wondering - my control panel shows the number of shots remaining and the active slot - even when the camera is turned off - is this normal ? or how do i turn it off .

This info will be displayed if the camera has a battery and memory card inserted. No way of turning off as far as I can see, at least not mentioned in the manual. I assume very little battery power required.

After a second hand bargain buddy, as it's my first DSLR. Not going to spend all my pennies just yet, will need lenses etc, so I am trying to factor that in.

another question for the d7000 gurus - i notice that between the rubber eyecup slide on and the actual eyepiece fixing there is another slide on plastic moulding - what is the purpose of this - is it to keep my eyelashes away from the glass or ? . Taking it off and just having the rubber slide on (which does have a plastic back) makes it easier to see the entire eyepice view which is slightly obscured with this extra 'spacer' in place.

any comments or answers please

Is there a way to change what info is shown in the CP i.eI'd like to see ISO - It shows metering and focus settings etc , why no ISO - where it should show it (bottom right) it shows shots remaining. ?????

It shows when you are adjusting it, it also shows when you look in the viewfinder.

FANTASTIC !!!! It now shows ISO when meters are on and reverts to shots remaining when meters off - just what i wanted - thanks a million (thank goodness someone RTFM) :clap::clap::clap::clap:

Had my first two days out with it proper - one on a fly fishing shoot in favourable conditions so wasn't really pushing the sensor much.... ISO 100 for video and ISO 400 for the few stills I took…. and went out again today, shooting the whole feature on it AND doing a raft of video for web use.

On the stills front although i was still trying to use buttons that only exist on my D2x, it was easy to use and the AF is excellent, especially in low contrast scenes. IQ seems bang-on overall - this isn't my main still camera but it's good to know on the occasions it is used, it'll produce the goods. Exposures are consistent, focussing is really, really fast and crisp (plus it has a 'BEEP' unlike my D2x). I still can't work out why Nikon haven't pout an exposure compensation ruler on the top LCD though....

HD video function is excellent. I've totally got used to having to go out of live view to change aperture - it takes milliseconds to make the change - so I'm not really sure what people are whinging about in this respect. The record button works quickly and the record function is really instant. I wish that the widescreen mask could be applied while in live view to help framing.

The AF isn't as bad in HD mode as expected, although it's not a totally reliable system. I've quickly gotten used to manual focussing, doing follow focus as I move around or as I want to blur in/blur out a shot. The screen is excellent, even in the bright sunshine we had today. The ability to zoom focus in live view is good but it can't be done while recording.

I filmed from 10am until 5am in short burst, along with shooting 300+ stills and only did half a battery, which i thought was good going.

Bought myself a cheap (£15) 5m lavelier mic from Maplins today that did the job. It's not amazing sound but with the mic sensitivity turned down in the camera, sound is clear and more than adequate for what I needed.

All in all, so far it seems like this has been the (near) perfect buy. Yes, the body is far too small for my hands so I deffo need a grip and the rubber grips are pants, but as a tool to do a job it excels. More than anything, I'm blown away by what I can do with my 70-200mm, getting luscious shallow DoF that I could never get with the tape HD cameras I used to use. The fact that VR also works means I can hand-hold at 200mm and the image looks the nuts.

I'm looking into making a DIY track dolly but I'm totally sold on what a DSLR can do when it comes to video. We have some Sennheiser radio mics at works that I'm borrowing on Thursday for a shoot, so that will be an interesting test.

Last edited:
SDHC cards, I have 2 16gb 45mb cards in use at present an was looking to add another 2, has anyone used the new extrem pro 95mb cards and is there a noticeable difference?

MBZ3147 said:
SDHC cards, I have 2 16gb 45mb cards in use at present an was looking to add another 2, has anyone used the new extrem pro 95mb cards and is there a noticeable difference?

Yes I've got a 64gb one. Not noticing a huge difference other than it being cheaper than the old 45mb version.

MBZ3147 said:
E bay have uk seller showing 32Gb ones for apprx £70, good price or where should I look?

Amazon do it for less ;) I wouldn't trust eBay with goods like these, too many fakes about.

ok , having determined that lens is focussing behind my chosen focus point (as per the red square in VIEWnx2 which is exactly where i wanted the focus) do i do a + or a - to correct ? - Not that clear to me- maybe i'm a bit dense.

mikeysaling said:
ok , having determined that lens is focussing behind my chosen focus point (as per the red square in VIEWnx2 which is exactly where i wanted the focus) do i do a + or a - to correct ? - Not that clear to me- maybe i'm a bit dense.

What you describe is back focusing, which needs a minus value to correct.

So, after a few days of use, found two really annoying things about the D7000:

One - that there is no exposure compensation marker on the top LCD.

Two - the focus point graphic on the top plate LCD doesn't correspond to the one that's actually selected and visible in the viewfinder. Annoying....

specialman said:
So, after a few days of use, found two really annoying things about the D7000:

One - that there is no exposure compensation marker on the top LCD.

Two - the focus point graphic on the top plate LCD doesn't correspond to the one that's actually selected and visible in the viewfinder. Annoying....

There is an exposure comp icon on the top LCD but only when you have some dialed in. It doesn't actually display the value though, if that's what you mean?

There is an exposure comp icon on the top LCD but only when you have some dialed in. It doesn't actually display the value though, if that's what you mean?

That's exactly the issue - the '+/-' symbol appears but there's no guide to show you how much it's under or over.... it's not a massive issue but it is slightly annoying when I know my seven-year-old D2X features it. :)

Back