Nikon D7xxx owners thread

Just received email saying battery is shipped I must just have caught it in time.
I'm sure they will be back & knowing my luck at an even better price?

Guess what I bought today ? :) Yep a brand new D7000 and have taken a half a dozen pics tonight and am stunned b the difference compared t my D90 which I will have to put u for sale as soon as I can find the box for it, very helpful forum is this.

Steve2 said:
Guess what I bought today ? :) Yep a brand new D7000 and have taken a half a dozen pics tonight and am stunned b the difference compared t my D90 which I will have to put u for sale as soon as I can find the box for it, very helpful forum is this.

Bloody expensive forum LOL. I'd be interested to see how much difference you think there is between the two cameras esp in low light and high ISO

Now what would be really cool - several years ago there was a big thing about head mounted displays for playing videos from your phone directly into a pair of glasses, now if you could get a pair of them with high enough resolution you could have live view directly to your eyes, you could really "shoot from the hip" , and no more lying down on wet grass to get that "perfect" landscape shot !

Congrats on the new purchase (y)

What do you find the biggest differences to be between the two? Being honest I was slightly underwhelmed with my D7000 compared to the D90, it didn't feel to me like a massive upgrade given the cost difference. A few more controls, a few more MP, a few more fps, a bit better in the dark seemed to be about it for me. But my opinion's been a little sullied by the back-focussing problem (see earlier in this thread...) At one point I was considering returning it and getting a second D90, but I'm sticking with it for now :)

Now what would be really cool - several years ago there was a big thing about head mounted displays for playing videos from your phone directly into a pair of glasses, now if you could get a pair of them with high enough resolution you could have live view directly to your eyes, you could really "shoot from the hip" , and no more lying down on wet grass to get that "perfect" landscape shot !

They already have a product that could do it https://plus.google.com/111626127367496192147/posts

They already have a product that could do it https://plus.google.com/111626127367496192147/posts

they are simple display units, what I would like is a hi res immersive display, at 1080p , but they are like the droppings of a rocking horse.

At work we had a pair that displayed 800x600, but needed a PC to drive them, what we need is one driven by the HMDI output of the camera, and that doesn't cost more than all my combined photographic equiptment!

something like a portable version of sony's Sony HMZ T1 (£500)

upgraded yesterday to a D7000 myself from a D5000. chuffed to bits with it too.
my sons are already arguing over who gets the D5000. 6yr old grandson told them its his as they are all grown up and can buy there own.
have noticed though that i need new SD cards as files are bigger.

Joining the club later.
Just ordered one to pick up later. Thing that swung it was top LCD and dual SD card slots. Thank you :)

Being drawn to this camera. Twin mem card slots - one for raw, one for jpeg - great AF, great high ISO performance. I'm coming from a Canon system but the 17-55 Nikon lens looks far better built than the Canon and seems to perform a little better, too, and I can swap my 28, 50 and 100 primes for 35, 50 and 85, even tho I'd probably drop the 50.

Swapping systems seems nuts, but the 450D high iso is annoying me at the moment, and the 7D/60D aren't wowing me - as isn't the Canon 17-55.

Hmm. Ultimately thinking D7000, 17-55, flash. Done.

Last edited:
First proper outing today...it's certainly a step up from my D60!

Coming back with ~18mb RAW files though...I think I need some new memory cards! And they're making my 2009 Macbook Pro grunt in Lightroom 4...

Holy cow.
Just had a quick play. This certainly is more of an upgrade over the d5100 than i ever expected.
Larger, feels better in the hand, better controls and will certainly make a worthy second body.

Being drawn to this camera. Twin mem card slots - one for raw, one for jpeg - great AF, great high ISO performance. I'm coming from a Canon system but the 17-55 Nikon lens looks far better built than the Canon and seems to perform a little better, too, and I can swap my 28, 50 and 100 primes for 35, 50 and 85, even tho I'd probably drop the 50.

Swapping systems seems nuts, but the 450D high iso is annoying me at the moment, and the 7D/60D aren't wowing me - as isn't the Canon 17-55.

Hmm. Ultimately thinking D7000, 17-55, flash. Done.

Funny coincidence, but I did exactly what you're contemplating. I planned to upgrade to a 60d/7D and when I went to have a play ended up buying the d7000.

Haven't regretted it once :D

Interesting! How you finding the Nikon? Did you have many Canon lenses? Missing them? How are you finding the high ISO performance compared to the 450D? My bug is crappy 800ISO performance. Be interesting to hear some of your thoughts on the camera, coming from a 450D.

I contemplated a switch the other way from a D200 to a 7d but ended up seeing sense, getting the D7000 and staying away from the dark side.

Just had its first full days shoot (christening) and this is a very capable 1st body.

I shoot weddings on the D7000, sometimes ISO 6400 ! My business partner shoots with a 7D, to me it's an expensive inferior (single card slot not good for weddings) and the Nikon SB900 flash is a beast. Mainly the flash that made me swap from Pentax after many years. Enjoy.

never tried my d7000 for movies ! can i get away with a '4' card 16gb or what should i get ? I cannot use existing cards (all 4) as i need the current content.

Just thought I'd let everyone know about a 3rd party grip I just bought from t'bay. http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/130583973754?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649 is the link.

It's the Meike one everyone talks about which as far as 3rd party grips go is the best quality but at just £32.13 (inc postage) it's a steal!

Just got mine and it's transformed my D7000 and allows the use of cheaper, grip only batteries (£30)

Sorry if this has already been posted, just trying to be helpful!

Dean :)

Last edited:
I'm pretty mad, the lettering on the lens cap of my 18-105 is wearing off after less than a month, I've taken around 200 shots with this!

Nikon aren't interested and state it's fair wear and tear

My three year old d5000 didn't have this problem at all, and that was second hand!

Any ideas? In pretty peeved as it cost quite a bit!

I'm pretty mad, the lettering on the lens cap of my 18-105 is wearing off after less than a month, I've taken around 200 shots with this!

My three year old d5000 didn't have this problem at all, and that was second hand!

With out sounding too much like an arse, it'a only the lens cap. They aren't that expensive and it's hardly the end of the world.

What do you do with it when it's not on the lens as that may show why it's wearing so fast.

With out sounding too much like an arse, it'a only the lens cap. They aren't that expensive and it's hardly the end of the world.

What do you do with it when it's not on the lens as that may show why it's wearing so fast.

I know it sounds really petty, but the camera cost a fortune and I really look after my gear and to get such a snotty response from Nikon really annoyed me.

I keep the lens cap in my pocket - there's nothing else in there to damage it.

On close inspection, I think that it might actually be missing some paint, rather than wearing off.

What cards are you using as i use about 8 of the 7dayshop cheapy class 10 16gb and get easily 6fps and roughly about 10-15 shots off the buffer before it slows down

I bought 7dayshop class 10 16GB SD cards (2 for 14.99) and they are fine no problems so far.

Re Dean's post; I've been umming and aaing about which grip to get; Meike vs Nikon branded and have searched through at all the relevant posts. I've just ordered the Nikon one...hope I didn't spend uneccessarily, but at least I know it'll work ok. I still wonder if I should have saved £120 and got the Meike one though. Hope it works well for you Dean!

I bought the Meike one about a month ago and its been on my camera ever since, do event photography at weekends so its been getting a fair amount of use. No problems what's so ever and I can feel all smug that I only spent £30 :)

chill out dood it's only the cap?

Just thought I'd let everyone know about a 3rd party grip I just bought from t'bay. http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/130583973754?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649 is the link.

It's the Meike one everyone talks about which as far as 3rd party grips go is the best quality but at just £32.13 (inc postage) it's a steal!

Just got mine and it's transformed my D7000 and allows the use of cheaper, grip only batteries (£30)

Hi, what is it made of, would you trust it to take a Black Rapid strap, thanks.

Got the same one a while ago..... just be aware that it will only take the standard battery and not any fleabay ones like this one
There is a rounded edge in the grip and these batteries have 'square' edge and thus will not fit in the grip ;)

Phil

Got the same one a while ago..... just be aware that it will only take the standard battery and not any fleabay ones like this one
There is a rounded edge in the grip and these batteries have 'square' edge and thus will not fit in the grip ;)

Phil

I think Ill stick to the Nikon one, thanks. ( Just have to save up for a while).
Thanks

Dya use your grip with AA's or the rechargable - if the latter dya have a link to what you purchased ? or the spec ie ma etc

I bought 7dayshop class 10 16GB SD cards (2 for 14.99) and they are fine no problems so far.

#recomend the samsung ones on amazon, about £13 for 16GB or £20 for 32GB but these are incredibly tough. I left one in my jeans pocket and it went through the wash and dryer, still works perfectly. Incredibly tough cards.

Just be aware that if you use a third party grip and it fries your camera( however unlikely that is) say goodbye to your warranty. That's why I bought Nikon.

Just be aware that if you use a third party grip and it fries your camera( however unlikely that is) say goodbye to your warranty. That's why I bought Nikon.

Hmm.....Not sure how they would know exactly :thinking:

Probably wouldn't. But I wasn't going to risk it. Maybe just me.

Interesting! How you finding the Nikon? Did you have many Canon lenses? Missing them? How are you finding the high ISO performance compared to the 450D? My bug is crappy 800ISO performance. Be interesting to hear some of your thoughts on the camera, coming from a 450D.

Sorry for the delay.

I love the Nikon, the performance is fantastic compared to the 450d in all respects. I don't miss anything about that camera.

Apart from the actual jump in output from the camera, one of the biggest things that I never anticipated is how fast access is to all the controls without menu's etc via the controls, especially without taking your eye away from the camera. The controls all become second nature, so you can react fast, and the camera just delivers. Pretty much anything you want to change can be changed with a press of a button and moving one of the control wheels. The controls are well thought out too, so to me after a bit of practice, it just "fits".

I was asked to take some photos on a friends 550d a few weeks ago, and it was like a step back in time. Managed to do what I wanted, but made me appreciate the speed of the d7000 even more.

I had the 450d as part of the twin lens kit, so had the 18-55 and the 55-250 kit lenses. To be honest, for what they were I was happy with the lenses, can't say they were wonderful, but they were cheap and did what I expected. I did find I tended to be constantly changing lenses and as you mentioned, both struggled in low light compared with the 450d ISO performance. With the kit lenses I struggled in low light at ISO 800, I can now shoot comfortably up to ISO 6400 in similar conditions. I was also blown away by the detail in post production, the dynamic range is considerably extended over anything the Canon captured. Also, you will notice a big jump in focus accuracy and speed. You don't have to think so much about getting the focus right, as the autofocus is very good at snapping onto whatever you are aiming at. A good example is sports shots, when the canon struggled with fast moving objects, especially towards it. The Nikon in comparison does what you want.

In fact, if there is any criticism I can make of the d7000, is that I found it quite unforgiving. By this I mean, if you miss a shot, it's not correctly focused or there is some other issue, it is down to the user, not the camera. There are no excuses with this body I'm afraid!

For the d7000, I currently have the Tokina 11-16 f2.8 (A+ love it), Sigma 50 2.8 Macro(B, Not bad, quite versatile), Nikon 70-300 VR(A-, like it but could be a bit sharper at 300mm and notice the slower aperture compared to my other f2.8 lenses). I just picked up a Sigma 24-70 F2.8 to try out, but will reserve judgement on that until I've properly tested it this weekend.

As I've already mentioned, and as you've probably guessed, I don't regret the swap for an instant. Wish I had done it sooner! (y)

Just joined the club, bought a 6 week old D7000 for £600 from the classified which has yet to be registered for the £80 cashback. So £520..... bargain!

My D90 will become my second body and can share lenses between the two.

Back