Nikon D7xxx owners thread

collected mine today! not at the bargin price as the above post (lucky you) but still really happy with it. makes the D3000 look like a right tiddler!. I was told my 50mm prime would fit but it doesn't - do I need an adapter then?!. oh dear, more money to be spent.

Vixen said:
collected mine today! not at the bargin price as the above post (lucky you) but still really happy with it. makes the D3000 look like a right tiddler!. I was told my 50mm prime would fit but it doesn't - do I need an adapter then?!. oh dear, more money to be spent.

Why does your 50mm not fit? If it fits a D3000 it should fit a D7000 as the 7000 is much more backwards compatible than the 3000

phil8139 said:
Got the same one a while ago..... just be aware that it will only take the standard battery and not any fleabay ones like this one
There is a rounded edge in the grip and these batteries have 'square' edge and thus will not fit in the grip ;)

Phil

What battery dos fit in the Meike grip? Ta

ok, feel a bit stupid now! I must have been trying to be too careful with it. it does fit! duh. sorry for the thickness been a long day and I was overexcited! thanks for making me try again before I made a complete idiot walking back to the shop to complain.!

samems said:
What about the problem i have read about oil on the sensor of the D7000. Any of you come across that?

No problem with mine - 4000 shots in. I've heard of this online but never experienced it

how about just using the 6 aa batts - how does that work - the extra battery capacity is only part of the reason for this extra - it gives a better feel for the camera i think. Not sure how much longer the AA will give you - any idea anyone ?

mikeysaling said:
how about just using the 6 aa batts - how does that work - the extra battery capacity is only part of the reason for this extra - it gives a better feel for the camera i think. Not sure how much longer the AA will give you - any idea anyone ?

When shooting video for more than 3hrs of coverage I just make sure I have the AA's in, does the job very well with high capacity batteries. I have 6x 2800mah which gives a great boost. But I always carry a 12pack of Duracell also just in case ;)

only reason for key is that i'm a cheapskate and the D7000 battery is so expensive in comparison...

As I've already mentioned, and as you've probably guessed, I don't regret the swap for an instant. Wish I had done it sooner! (y)

Thanks mate. Interesting. Seems the body for me, but I've 5 lenses for my Canon. Makes a switch less easy to achieve. Still, appreciate the thoughts - looks a cracking camera. (y)

What about the problem i have read about oil on the sensor of the D7000. Any of you come across that?

http://www.flickr.com/groups/d7000-oil-on-sensor/

I have that problem with mine - it's not extreme and hasn't become any worse since last year. They don't really start showing up until f/11 or so, but as most of my photography is macro, and as I'm generally at around f/18+ they are noticeable, but quick to deal with in PP.

I suspect the problem is quite widespread, but if, like mine, the spots only really become apparent relatively high f-numbers I would imagine a large number of people are just not seeing the problem. In most instances there is little requirement to go above f/8-11, even for landscape work, unless there is something specific you need to achieve.

Last edited:
If you have them you can always send it in to have it cleaned under warranty.

I have read that some people have done that only for it to re-appear again!

If you have them you can always send it in to have it cleaned under warranty.

I keep meaning to, but haven't yet got around to it. Probably because it doesn't bother me that much when it's so quick to sort out in PP.

samems said:
I have read that some people have done that only for it to re-appear again!

Yes that risk is there that they don't do it right. I do not think there is an inherent problem, but can be wrong, yet instead is technician error when they do it.

Just bought one ofthe grips from eBay mentioned above. Had a similar one on my 5D mkii for a couple of years and love it.

Now to buy a spare battery :)

Had my D7k since October last year and nearly 5000 shots in...no oil problem. although I've never shot with an aperture any higher than f/14

Just bought one ofthe grips from eBay mentioned above. Had a similar one on my 5D mkii for a couple of years and love it.

Now to buy a spare battery :)

Just ordered one for the d7000 - will let you know how i get on . I'm planning to use just AA batts as power - just want the feel of a bigger cam . If the batts become cheaper i may go for them but the supplied one seems just fine.

mikeysaling said:
Just ordered one for the d7000 - will let you know how i get on . I'm planning to use just AA batts as power - just want the feel of a bigger cam . If the batts become cheaper i may go for them but the supplied one seems just fine.

Im planning on using it without batteries initially. I cant do without the grip on the 5d simply for ergonomics over extra battery power.
So much nicer being able to hold a camera in portrait and not twist your arms over, so until 7ayshop do them, im going to be sans battery.

My Meike arrived today - so that was super quick . Lost no time having a play - put Duracell Ultra AA's in the AA holder and connected to the D7000. Then realised i hadn't 'told' the D7000 what to expect ! No matter when i checked in set up menu it was already set to AA alkaline and preference for the pack first (this i changed to camera battery as i only want the AA's as a backup) . The pack on the camera is great makes the D7000 feel much more substantia and i think stable. Checked out all the controls and they work as intended I really like the multi selector which is like the centre part of the camera one and can be moved in any direction and pressed for the ok command the direction ring round the outside of it is just for guidance i suppose and doesn't do anything - It all works really well. Great value for money - we'll have to see how durable it is.

My Meike arrived today - so that was super quick . Lost no time having a play - put Duracell Ultra AA's in the AA holder and connected to the D7000. Then realised i hadn't 'told' the D7000 what to expect ! No matter when i checked in set up menu it was already set to AA alkaline and preference for the pack first (this i changed to camera battery as i only want the AA's as a backup) . The pack on the camera is great makes the D7000 feel much more substantia and i think stable. Checked out all the controls and they work as intended I really like the multi selector which is like the centre part of the camera one and can be moved in any direction and pressed for the ok command the direction ring round the outside of it is just for guidance i suppose and doesn't do anything - It all works really well. Great value for money - we'll have to see how durable it is.

Thanks for your report Michael, which is the exact version you bought, could you provide a link please.

Also you say that the controls all work as intended..... do the control wheels work in the correct direction?

Cheers, Dan

Many thanks for the link.

If you could report back about the adjustment wheels that would be great.

Hopefully front does aperture and rear shutter speed as stated. And that the rotation direction matches that of the camera body.

Last edited:
I bought a nikon grip of ebay a while back and it turned out to be fake. There was no weather sealing and dials were reversed. I sent it back and a refund straight away.

I suspect 3rd part grips will the same too.

The genuine grip rotates the dials the same way as the camera.

And have the same magnesium allow internal strengthening...But hey you can't argue with the price difference :) Me, I got myself an original Nikon one and use it a lot.

Hi there - The Meike - The wheels are in fact working differently (reversed from the camera) . Checked this out on various sites and it seems fairly common. It doesn't cause me any problem but i hope i didn't mislead anyone :eek: I've been using it today and very pleased with it. I'm gonna keep track of pics taken and see how the AA (alkaline) last out .

Hi there - The Meike - The wheels are in fact working differently (reversed from the camera) . Checked this out on various sites and it seems fairly common. It doesn't cause me any problem but i hope i didn't mislead anyone :eek: I've been using it today and very pleased with it. I'm gonna keep track of pics taken and see how the AA (alkaline) last out .

Thanks for the info. Does the Nikon Battery fit in the grip chamber ok?

Looking forward to seeing how the AA batteries last.

Thanks for the info. Does the Nikon Battery fit in the grip chamber ok?

Yup, you cant use the 'full size' battery that is offered on fleabay though. the one that is the same size as the chamber. IT WILL NOT FIT ;)

I'm trying to reproduce Kodachrome in camera and save the settings. Has anyone got close ? maybe you can share your settings with me . I know photo shop has plug ins but i don't have that prog. prefer to doit in cam if poss.

Excuse me for asking a question that has probably been asked and answered before but I don't fancy reading 1,391 posts of this thread to find it.

I am currently in the market for a second body to run alongside my D700 and I am very seriously thinking of getting a D7000 so I’d be interested in the views of people that have owned and used one.

What I’m most interested in knowing about is how good the AF system is. I am usually very pleased with the AF on my D700 but I’m starting to get very high standards and get very frustrated when it doesn’t AF perfectly so I want a second camera that is going to be up to the mark. Also interested in how good the high iso performance is but as I have the D700 for that it’s not quite as important.

As I said I have a D700 but used to have a D300 so comparisons to those 2 bodies would be appreciated.

High iso is excellent for a dx. Focus is very good as well, but as I don't have a d700 I don't know relatively how good it is.

Good quality lenses do help. With the trinity lenses it is most definitely spot on focus wise.

The focus is a bit better than the D700 from what I can remember and is faster locking on.

What are the trinity lenses?

Generally the trinity lenses are the 14-24mm f/2.8, 24-70mm f/2.8 and 70-200mm VR f/2.8, although they're useable on DX bodies many people see them as the try pairing for FX bodies.

On DX there are gaps and overlaps with what I see as the DX trinity - 12-24mm f/4, 17-55mm f/2.8 and then the 70-200mm f/2.8 - but nonetheless it's a fantastic line-up or a crop sensor

Last edited:
mikeysaling said:
I'm trying to reproduce Kodachrome in camera and save the settings. Has anyone got close ? maybe you can share your settings with me . I know photo shop has plug ins but i don't have that prog. prefer to doit in cam if poss.

I've got a link for camera presets at home - I'll post it up later - lots of different ones

mikeysaling said:

Here ya go

http://www.neebu.net/~khuon/photography/NIKON/CUSTOMPC/

Plenty of presets in there - loaded a few to mine but have yet to play with them properly:)

The instructions are in the Readme folder - it seems to be written for a D300 but I found it while searching for D7000 presets and they do work in my D7000 with no problem:)

Last edited:
Back