Nikon D7xxx owners thread

Haha always the way. You'll be impressed I'm sure :)

Just couldn't get on with the 70-300 to be honest. Coming from my 18-200 VR II which was sharp, fast to focus and accurately track, the 70-300 was lethargic and the VR was junk. Images were typically soft and switching the VR into the 'On' setting, things became like a lad's night out (all a blur). I had more success shooting with the VR switched off but even then it was hit and miss (mostly miss). The focal range of the 18-200 suits me much better as I use it as a walkabout lens. Even with my 50mm 1.8D I'm having to walk a fair distance away to get things into the frame so back to the DX comfort zone I go :p

I am impressed with it. The first photo I took was a snap of the mrs, in auto, after snapping on the 35mm, and it was such an improvement on my D60. I think its just the user behind it at the moment! All the gear, no idea, comes to mind. Ha.

I like my 70-300mm, doesn't seem to bad to me, but then it's the only lens of it's kind I've had (I'm new and have a small set of gear) so I have nothing to compare it to!
Now I've got a nice camera body that I know I'll have for years, I may try and replace the 70-300mm in a few months time, but I can keep with it at the moment.

Just got the D7000 yesterday and I'm in love with it :love:

I would go on about it plentysome but I'd probably just bore you so I'll leave it at that :wave:

I think you must have had a bad copy of the 70-300. I have had both MK1 and MK2 versions of the 18-200 and the 70-300 has always been the sharper lens.

I think you must have had a bad copy of the 70-300. I have had both MK1 and MK2 versions of the 18-200 and the 70-300 has always been the sharper lens.

Yes quite possibly. It just would not behave for me. You'd get the odd shot here and there which met the standard but mostly they were quite drunk looking. The tracking was also dog slow which seems to be a trait of the 70-300. Much prefer the 18-200 so I'll likely be holding onto that for some time now.

Just got a used nikon 70-200 2.8 vr 1 for my D7100 omg im in love to say the least the crop detail is awesome.

Well, I'm a couple of months in with my D7000 and bloody love it :)

I'm not sure whether the improvement in my pictures is down to it or my increasing understanding of photography (or a bit of both!) but either way it was £500 very well spent! (y)

Just had a google and found this>>>

So, if you feel that your images are not as sharp as they should be, you should check if there is front or back focus problem, and then you should fine-tune the focus accordingly. But you should use this feature with care! Otherwise, you may make things worse.

Edit: This quite a handy site for D7000 owners.

http://farbspiel-photo.com/about/gear/nikon-d7000-quick-tips#d7000_tip001

Last edited:
The wife tells me all my kit arrived back from Nikon this morning. Looking forward to testing it out.

The PDF they emailed me seems to say the D7000 was indeed out "Repair/Adjust auto focus mechanism/circuit. Check and adjust AF accuracy."

This sentence made me laugh though:
"Check, test and clean equipment checked and tested with 300mm, AF is tracking fine for this camera, please note that this lens is more intended to be used with d3's or d4's as the AF tracking is more efficient"

Cheeky buggers. Would mean I would get NPS though.

Hi to you all on this hot / sunny day (uk)

Been fine tuning my Tamron 70-300 and although I am far from a pixel peeper decided to do a bit of AF tuning for close ups with this lens (5-6ft) . I have observed that at the close end (70mm) I am adjusting -2 and the long end +-0 also I have noticed that close performance at f5.6 is great but at 300mm a tad wooly.

Overall I am very happy with this lens and am learning to make adjustments according to the subject and focal length used.

Is it normal to have an AF fine tune difference between close and far end on these zooms? and the far end after f8 is usable under that a bit iffy.

Hi to you all on this hot / sunny day (uk)

Been fine tuning my Tamron 70-300 and although I am far from a pixel peeper decided to do a bit of AF tuning for close ups with this lens (5-6ft) . I have observed that at the close end (70mm) I am adjusting -2 and the long end +-0 also I have noticed that close performance at f5.6 is great but at 300mm a tad wooly.

Overall I am very happy with this lens and am learning to make adjustments according to the subject and focal length used.

Is it normal to have an AF fine tune difference between close and far end on these zooms? and the far end after f8 is usable under that a bit iffy.

As far as Im aware its normal to have a difference between focal lengths on zooms. You are having to compensate for different focal lengths and -2 and +-0 is not really much of a difference over that range. Micro adjustment is much easier on a primeas you only have one focal length to worry about and the prime is calibrated for that focal length too.

Regarding 300mm being a bit soft this is not usual, I used to always use my 70-300 vr up to 250 or 270mm. Any further it was a little soft. Many lens seem to perform better stopped down a little. F5.6 was was ok but f8 was much better. Its a case of finding the limit at where you are happy and using it within those limits.

Anyone here upgraded from a D7000? How does the noise performance compare? Thanks

I'm not the best of judges but I would say about the same, maybe a little better on the D7100. I can't really compare as I swapped to LR4 from PSE9 about the same time as buying he D7100 so Ive started to do noise reduction as part of PP. Main gains are better auto focus and larger sensor.

I also can vouch for the D7100, I came from a D80 and got me some new glass (2.8 70-200) have to say, nice and crisp.

I currently have a D60 and am looking to upgrade. I was wondering whether to go for the D7000 or the D7100. Currently shoot mostly detail shots or candids. Though I do get the chance to do some dance photography generally in low light conditions which makes me wonder whether the extra money for the D7100 is worth it for the focal points?

I've just found a high ISO test shot I tried a few months again. It may not be the best subject for a test but it was shot in light cloud conditions. I'm pretty surprised at the level of detail that is still there (please note is a LR4 processed RAW with local clarity adjustments etc).

ISO 6400

Water Vole- Close Up by Rob'81, on Flickr

Last edited:
So ive taken the plunge and upgraded to a D7000 from my much loved D3100. I have listed the D3100 on Ebay and will be sad to see it go as it was my introduction to DSLR photography. I have also upgraded from the Kit to the Tamron 17-50 2.8. :)

Ive yet to actually get out with my D7000 but cant wait to get out there this weekend.

Couple of questions.

I want to try a bit of HDR. What software should i be looking at for merging multiple images?

Im also in the market for a new tripod as my old one wont be sturdy enough for the D7000. Any recommendations for a budget <£80?

I have a B+W 10 stop for my old kit lens (52mm) which i LOVED but obviously its the wrong size for my new Tamron (72mm). Whats the best value 10 Stop filters on the market at the moment, F-pro only?

Thanks in advance.

Or the one in the Nik software bundle - which you really should own!

If you're not willing to shell out for Photomatix or Nik there there's an opensource application called Luminance http://qtpfsgui.sourceforge.net/. I've not tried it but it seems to be able to do the job.

Alternatively if you want HDR in the sense of realistic but more range I've used Enfuse with some success. I use a lightroom plugin LR/Enfuse but you can get it as a command line tool or there is a GUI call EnfuseGUI.

Thanks for the replies guys, hopefully i will be contributing more to this thread over the coming months!

Right a quick question. I have been looking through the manual but cant find the answer.

When holding down the BKT button to set up a series of 3 HDR shots and scrolling right my screen reads [3F 1.0]

Any ideas how to get the screen to read [3F 2.0]

(I want 3 shots with an exposure of -2 +2 and 0 and NOT -1 +1 and 0.)

Thanks in advance

Edited: Who knew there was a sub command dial? :) Problem sorted

Last edited:
Right a quick question. I have been looking through the manual but cant find the answer.

When holding down the BKT button to set up a series of 3 HDR shots and scrolling right my screen reads [3F 1.0]

Any ideas how to get the screen to read [3F 2.0]

(I want 3 shots with an exposure of -2 +2 and 0 and NOT -1 +1 and 0.)

Thanks in advance

Edited: Who knew there was a sub command dial? :) Problem sorted

Don't you hold the bracket button and use the other scroll wheel?

Don't you hold the bracket button and use the other scroll wheel?

You certainly do Jules. I was watching a couple of tutorials and they kept mentioning 'sub command dial' which I never knew existed. A steep learning curve coming from a D3100.

Guys I'm after opinions. My mrs is after a DSLR body to compliment mine but I'm not sure what to go for. The D7000 seems like a great choice for her, but how is the ISO performance? The reason I ask is that shes only ever used FF DSLRs that I've owned and has gotten quite use to how lazy you can be with the iso button...

Guys I'm after opinions. My mrs is after a DSLR body to compliment mine but I'm not sure what to go for. The D7000 seems like a great choice for her, but how is the ISO performance? The reason I ask is that shes only ever used FF DSLRs that I've owned and has gotten quite use to how lazy you can be with the iso button...

The D7000 is not going to be as good as a FF dslr ISO wise but its still quite good. I find ISO is quite useable up to ISO1600 or ISO2000. I usually have auto ISO set to a maximum of ISO3200 but I try to keep it as low as possible but shooting wildlife means a fast shutter speed and high ISO most of the time. I have a few higher ISO images on my Flickr taken with the D7000.

Most modern sensors are now pretty good where ISO is concerned. I recently posted a Water Vole image taken on a D7100 at ISO6400, it surprised me how well it came out. I think if you have the right conditions then newer dx sensors work quite well.

That's a great shot - can you post some more details shutter/aperture etc and what lens please ?

cheers

mike

Thanks Rob,

I doubt she'll be printing anything larger than a 6x4 if she ever does actually print something, so the noise would be well hidden anyway. Its nice to know that it can be pushed up to a decent level if required though! I'm not 100% sure on what sort of photography she wants to get into if I'm honest as she seems to dabble in a bit of everything with my equipment, which is good in a way but bad from a gear choice decision lol.

flickr has all the info

+ 1/1250s . f/5.6 . ISO 6400 . 200 mm
manual exposure

70.0-200.0 mm f/2.8

;)

Thanks for posting that, it saved me time. The high ISO was set artificially high by raising the shutter speed, a more reasonable shutter speed 1/500 gave ISO1600. The weather was a overcast day with rain later on. If the light level was lower with a 1/500 shutter at ISO6400 I would guess it may be a bit noisier but I'm not sure. Once there is a gloomy day again I will test it out under low light conditions to see how it fares.

One thing I have learnt this past year is how close you need to get to get good detail. This was taken from a 1.5-2m away from the Water Vole. If it was shot double or triple that distance it would probably not show as much detail.

That's a great shot - can you post some more details shutter/aperture etc and what lens please ?

cheers

mike

It was taken with the 70-200mm f2.8 VR1. I'm finding its a great lens on the D7100, it really shines. I wasn't too impressed with it on the D7000 (it may just be my D7000, I think they may be a focus issue with it) but its seems to be better on the D7100. Definitely a lens I would recommend.

Here's an example of a Puffin taken recently on Skomer with the D7100 and 70-200.

@ 200mm 1/2000 f6.3 ISO360

Puffin by Rob'81, on Flickr

Last edited:
Back