Nikon D7xxx owners thread

Not yet, but my D3100 did that, first card i put in it, it killed it.

Mine did! I spoke to Nikon, whom were very helpful & suggested I used recommend SD cards. (I was using a HP 32gb), at first I thought Nikon were using the old…Yeah you have to use our recommend cards, because we have share in Sandisk etc….But after resetting my camera & using the SD cards I've never had a problem.

The HP card was used in my D3100 & didn't skip a beat...

Mine did! I spoke to Nikon, whom were very helpful & suggested I used recommend SD cards. (I was using a HP 32gb), at first I thought Nikon were using the old…Yeah you have to use our recommend cards, because we have share in Sandisk etc….But after resetting my camera & using the SD cards I've never had a problem.

The HP card was used in my D3100 & didn't skip a beat...

Yeah, I didn't realise how important it is to use the approved cards. I lost 16GBs of photos this weekend, and obviously I'm gutted over it.

I'm just glad the card was full by 2pm and I continued with another, so I do have some photos of the event I was at.

JT74 said:
Yeah, I didn't realise how important it is to use the approved cards. I lost 16GBs of photos this weekend, and obviously I'm gutted over it.

I'm just glad the card was full by 2pm and I continued with another, so I do have some photos of the event I was at.

what card were you using? the first time i used my d7000 i used an old card i had (new cards ordered but still in the post at the time) and it failed on me. i was able to get a couple of images using software but most were lost.

ive since used sandisk 30mbs 8gb cards in a d7000 for a couple of years now.also using sandisk 95mbs 8gb cards in a d7100.ive not yet experienced any card issues since moving to approved cards.

ive always gone with 8gb cards due to not wanting to lose lots of photos if a card does fail on me. have you thought about setting up the second slot as backup so you have a second copy of all images? im also starting to think about backup images thoughout the day now too just in case the worst was to happen.

hope you havent lost everything.have you tried software to retrieve the images?

Yeah, tried a handful of software options and a Linux boot disc. Card is completely dead, it was a fresh Integral Ultima 45MB/s.

I can still see (in my head) a lot of the photos that I took that morning. I had just bought a new HSS flash and was killing ambient and going mad on low wide angle shots and everything. :LOL:

I was much lazier later that day, and they're the only photos I have now. Bummer. :(

I'll be using two matched Sandisk cards from now on, 1 > 2 backup.

Hello, Can I ask what the recommended settings would be for some night shots without flash and tripod, please?
I might sound silly but I'd rather ask than to mess everything up.
I've got an 12-24 and 18-200 but also an SB700 so I can use this as well if needed. I'd rather take the shots without flash though.

I'm impressed by these shots:
http://www.kenrockwell.com/trips/2013-04-slo/D71_1466.JPG
http://www.kenrockwell.com/trips/2013-04-slo/D71_1446.JPG

Thanks a lot in advance.

They're at ISO 800, wide aperture (f2 and f3.2) and slow shutter speed (1/20 and 1/15).

Not everybody has a steady enough hand for those shutter speeds though, I know I don't...

They're at ISO 800, wide aperture (f2 and f3.2) and slow shutter speed (1/20 and 1/15).

Not everybody has a steady enough hand for those shutter speeds though, I know I don't...

Maybe worth mentioning the link between shutter speeds and focal length when shooting handheld. The narrower the focal length the more susceptable to shake you are and the faster the shutter needs to be to freeze that shake. As a rule of thumb, one over focal length gives a good idea of what average joe can hand hold without shake. Ie on a 200mm zoom which is zoomed all the way in. 1/200 or on a 35mm prime, 1/35.

Ive just done Shrewsbury Folk Festival with just those sorts of shots. I used a 55-300 VR at ISO6400, mostly got f4 - f8, and 1/80th to 1/125.

Heres one after PP :

9622250254_78939047af_b.jpg

Well guys it was fun being a D7000 owner, but with mine being stolen a few weeks ago the insurance are willing to give me the D7100 at a cost to me of about £150 (because their supplier doesn't have the Meike grip and only sells the Hahnel D7000 for £100, so that's going toward the camera too). At that money it seems silly not to jump.

DBT85 said:
Well guys it was fun being a D7000 owner, but with mine being stolen a few weeks ago the insurance are willing to give me the D7100 at a cost to me of about £150 (because their supplier doesn't have the Meike grip and only sells the Hahnel D7000 for £100, so that's going toward the camera too). At that money it seems silly not to jump.

What a great result !!!
Enjoy the new camera
Regards
Rob

Hi Folks,

My D7000 was nicked a few weeks back and I managed to wangle a D7100 out of the insurance at no extra cost. Looking forward to having a fiddle, Meike grip already ordered.

I ordered one of those "original copies":cautious: from ebay I hope it arrives soon and works ok as it's a lot smaller than I thought it would be

Ive goy to meike grip and it works perfectly. Feels alright as well although ive nrver tried the nikon one but at 5 times the price im not that bothered

Anyone else found variable performance with this lens ? seems focus fine tune varies with FL - overall I've found -1 acceptable over the range but the 'sweet spot' (if there is such a thing) varies with FL wide open 2.8/3.5 at close distance is fine but loses it at 4.0 / 5.6 - I have yet to find a sweet f no at infinity and distant objects are seldom tack sharp - any other experience with this expensive lens - am I expecting too much ? I am looking at results at 100% (is this pixel peeping?)

Regards to all
mikey

Meike grip arrived today. feels identical to the Meike D7000 one I had. Excellent.

Just received my D7100, upgraded from the D7000, and wondered how many have fitted a screen protector to the LCD screen..Had the GGS protector on the D7000 and the D90 before that...I read somewhere that the D7100 has a scratch resistant screen. Not sure i want to put it to the test.

Any thoughts welcome.

Just received my D7100, upgraded from the D7000, and wondered how many have fitted a screen protector to the LCD screen..Had the GGS protector on the D7000 and the D90 before that...I read somewhere that the D7100 has a scratch resistant screen. Not sure i want to put it to the test.

Any thoughts welcome.
I bought some thin one like the ones for phones until i get a permanent one

got my d7100 yesterday as my d90 would cost over £400 to repair:( gutted but really happy with it, looking forward to getting out and about to use it now.

I've joined the club. Canon convert.

Ok,

On Thursday I take delivery of my D7100 as well as the Nikon 35mm AF-S f1.8, 50mm AF-S f1.8, 18-200 VRII and the Sigma 70mm f2.8 Macro along with all the other stuff in my insurance claim. I also have my Tokina 12-28 f4 which arrived a few hours after the robbery which as yet has not been tested.

It's been several years since I got a brand new DSLR (My D80 a few months after release) let alone 5 new lenses at the same time. I want to make sure that I check everything fully to check for any defects or anything odd with the camera or lenses on arrival so I can contact Wex to get it resolved before it's too late.

I plan to do a dust test shot straight off the bat so I have a reference of how the sensor looks before I fill it with crud, and I think I need to check the focus on the left AF points in particular after other people have had issues.

After that I plan on just doing several test shots with each lens trying to check focus and AF accuracy.

Is there anything else in particular that I need to be looking out for from anything?

I'm off the entirety of September so I'm planning to get out a whole lot. Having everything nicked really made me realise how little I was using it and that really annoyed me as I loved my D7000 (used off ebay).

Any thoughts welcome.

from experience it was not that scratch resistant...

Hi both, more camera for the money. spec and performance is outstanding and walks all over canons competition in my opinion. i previous had 60d.

as per my previous the Nikon film thing does the job AND is a lot easier to clean - no more difficulty with smears that will not go .

It's here. Sitting there in its box while I finish the fish tank and the hoovering and go to the shop as we have no food.

Did have a quick fondle and get the battery charging though.

Also ordered a screen protector and some Eneloops and a charger for the SB-700.

Back