Nikon D7xxx owners thread

I know that the issue of back focussing has been discussed at length on this thread but just want to say how well Nikon have dealt with me.
I carried out the test that they suggest on their website and thought that mine was some way out so i emailed them with sample jpegs. They replied within 24 hours agreeing that it did look out , but that the lens that i was using could need attention. They asked me to register it with them for warranty work thro their website. This I did and immediately got a standard reply giving me a ref no and a link to a free postage label. I packed up the body and lens and sent it to them on 22nd Jan. On the 24th they acknowledged receipt with a tracking no. and estimated return by 7th Feb.
Today, the 29th i received them back. Body had been checked and adjusted, lens had the zoom helicoid adjusted and lubricated, focus, resolution etc tested, elements cleaned and alignment checked etc etc.
Yesterday i got emails and texts saying that it had been posted back and then I got text from DPS saying on its way and another this morning saying it would be between 10-11am - and it was.

All done at no cost to me.

The pieces look and feel like new and I am really pleased with this exceptional service. I had been apprehensive about sending the stuff back and wondered whether I should live with the back focus issue but following this experience I would have no hesitation again.

And is it better, Alan ? Or no chance to test yet ?

Do any of you D7000 owners use the 70-200 VR11 on your bodies. I'd like to know how it feels, is it a mismatch or size for size a good fit. I tried an 80-200 on mine a while ago and it felt wrong, the body just didn't feel big enough for such a weighty beast.

Even with the smaller 70-300, I feel my D7000 is too unwieldy without a battery grip to balance it out a bit.

I have a Meike grip, so I'm guessing it then becomes more of a natural feel?

I use the same grip, so I think so. Holding a bare D7000 with a big lens on, I find it tries to rotate nose down. Having the grip on lets me counter that using my palm a bit more.

I use that lens on my D7000 and would agree that on a non gripped body it would feel un-balanced.
I have the Nikon grip and have never had a problem,but it is a heavy beast of a lens!

Hi Simon, this D7000 thread has been quiet of late, good to see you are still about; I never did set up that web site that I admired of yours a while back!

Thank you for the info on this lens. Do you use it for landscapes at all?

Not used it yet on any Landscapes yet!
Portraits mainly and the odd deer!
Although I have come across a gorgeous lone tree with acess issues where it may come in handy!
It really is a cracking lens if you can get used to the weight!
The other option is the f4 version!
You should get that web site set up!:)

Hi all....Anyone notice that the preview on back of camera initially looks bad. tis only once you have zoomed in once that the true image in all its glory is shown or does this sound like a problem with mine? Perhaps a setting I have missed somewhere

Just bought a Meike grip for mine to use aa batteries, when using the grip do i remove the nikon battery? or do i leave it in along with the batteries in the grip?

As David say's, leave it in, as the grip will be the dominant power for your camera and when they give up your main battery will take over.

Hi all,

I have had a bad experience with GOODPHOTO123 or goodphoto123.

I bought a battery grip through ebay and the batteries were not sent. They promised that they would send them again and when finished the dispute time he never answer me again. It is now claimed on ebay.

This message is only a warning. I will not buy to that seller again.

Hi again,

I have had a bad experience with GOODPHOTO123.

I bought a battery grip through ebay and the batteries were not sent. They promised that they would send them again and when finished the dispute time he never answer me again. It is now claimed on ebay.
This message is only a warning. I will not buy to that seller again.

Haven't tried the video yet - but early indications show AF is a lot, LOT faster and ISO is improved.

The layout has changed a bit - so its a matter of getting used to.

Will try and use it a bit more (if it stops raining!!)

OK, thanks. I think I'll stick with my d7000 for a while and get used to it before jumping again

OK, thanks. I think I'll stick with my d7000 for a while and get used to it before jumping again

I agree. I only bought this as I missed my D7000.

The D7000 is a great camera on its own. I would recommend waiting for the next model D7200/D400 if you really need to upgrade. Otherwise invest in some another lens instead.

ah yes...glass...I'm thinking of selling my 10-20 as i don't use it much..and I still have the d3100 + kit to sell....and then if I sold the 70-300VR I could get a sigma 50-500 as I'd like more reach but need to cover the shorter end ( i have a 17-50 )

thanks Brian, So they're the same, just the Neewar one is £20 cheaper ?

I really want to get a grip for mine, I feel the weight would be beneficial as I feel that the D7000 mirror slap is quite violent, any one else think the same?

I ordered the Neewar but got the Meike on delivery. This was through Amazon.

I notice the light come on and go off when handling the camera but not necessarily draining the batteries, I use AA's.

Picked up a D7100 the other day, i have been using 2 D300's for a number of years for wedding / wildlife / studio etc etc work and have never let me down, but i thought it was time for an upgrade to something a bit more modern.
I used the D7100 in the studio for its first outing, and what some cracking images i got from it. i was doing some family portrait, mother and baby stuff, so was using the AF system to focus on different subjects and it was accurate each time, this was with a standard nikon 18-105 lens fitted shooting at 125th / f8.
Im just waiting now for some decent weather so that i can take it outside ad see what it can really do with moving subjects.

but yea..im happy with it so far !!

take a look at this test shot i did at the weak end of the nikon 70-300vr then crop'd 100%

9450055201_ba22dc5413_c.jpg

it's 800 pixels.... and it's been sharpened. Any camera could have taken that. If you want to demonstrate a camera's ability, post up a RAW.

Mine arrived a couple of days ago and am very pleased so far. Only played around with the settings and taken a few indoor shots, but don't have any of the focussing issues discussed before. Seems even more versatile than my previous d7000

I notice the light come on and go off when handling the camera but not necessarily draining the batteries, I use AA's.

That would be draining the battery mate. I did a test and over 4 days of handling the camera each time I passed it (left it in the hall way) each battery lost 10% the body was never turned on so your looking at a good chunk of shots lost by the grip

That would be draining the battery mate. I did a test and over 4 days of handling the camera each time I passed it (left it in the hall way) each battery lost 10% the body was never turned on so your looking at a good chunk of shots lost by the grip

Once I'm done with the camera I tend to take the grip off so don't come across that issue. I did a whole day's shoot last summer, approximately 700 shots, and the AA's took the whole lot. I've not done a shoot like it since though.

An A4 battery will drain very quickly. There is no point really getting a battery grip unless you get 2nd EL-15 battery for it. You should have got two internal battery holders with the grip. I always ensure that I fully discharge the battery(s) to preserve their life. There is an option in the setup menu to draw power from the body or grip first. I use the default setting of body first. When have battery in the grip goes down, I will rotate it with the battery in the camera. If I'm going to be doing a lot of regular shooting, then I will just let both battery's run down before charging. Incidentally, I ordered a cheap battery grip on Ebay, the built quality was appalling, the buttons very loose. I sent it straight back and purchased the Nikon grip which feels solid and positive,

An A4 battery will drain very quickly. There is no point really getting a battery grip unless you get 2nd EL-15 battery for it. You should have got two internal battery holders with the grip. I always ensure that I fully discharge the battery(s) to preserve their life. There is an option in the setup menu to draw power from the body or grip first. I use the default setting of body first. When have battery in the grip goes down, I will rotate it with the battery in the camera. If I'm going to be doing a lot of regular shooting, then I will just let both battery's run down before charging. Incidentally, I ordered a cheap battery grip on Ebay, the built quality was appalling, the buttons very loose. I sent it straight back and purchased the Nikon grip which feels solid and positive,

Most sources actually discourage fully discharging Li ion batteries. Seems top up charges are actually good for them. Or at least not bad.

Back