Nikon D800......

<snip>
I wonder what will happen if we ever properly disagree? Forum highjack rather than just thread? :p

I try not to disagree on anything but facts. It's the interpretation of them, and their significance, where we may differ ;)

One thing that I think we may agree on is the potential of the D800E, particularly, with a tilt and shift lens. Folks tend to be a bit wary of them and think that Scheimpflug is a difficult concept to understand and apply, but it's really easy once the penny has dropped. They're expensive too, but for landscapes their optical quality is simply peerless.

A T&S's potential for greater effective DoF, at diffraction-free f/numbers, should be amazing. But note that it's the lens that is realising the potential of the sensor, not the other way around :)

All this techno babble is giving me a headache!!

What about my question (see page 12 post 342)? Surely that's more important to the working pro than all these gizmos and ****-its :LOL:

What about my question (see page 12 post 342)? Surely that's more important to the working pro than all these gizmos and ****-its :LOL:

One of the things that I was particularly interested in when the D4 was announced was Joe McNally saying that he thought skin tones had been improved. Now this is one thing that I've never felt Nikon got quite right and (as a people shooter) is something that really excites me.

So, does anyone know if anything similar has been said about the D800?

No :D

Seriously though, I've loved the skin tones off all the Nikons I've used but if they have improved things, then all the better :)

Last edited:

Yeah, not too sure about the techno babble either, but I must say, I'd never really noticed an issue with skin tones :shrug:

Have you done direct comparisons with other makes?

If they can use the 36MP sensor in a £2,399 body I'm sure it could be used in a full size body for little more than the price of a D4. A D4x wouldn't need to be £7,500 - more like £5,200, then it would sell in quantity.

That would seem logical, however it wouldn't fit in with the current Nikon price-setting logic, otherwise the D3x would have only been around £5k on the street, not nearly 6.....

That would seem logical, however it wouldn't fit in with the current Nikon price-setting logic, otherwise the D3x would have only been around £5k on the street, not nearly 6.....

I don't see a D4X.....the D800 has clearly been positioned differently to the D700 so it doesn't steal sales from the D4. If they were going to launch a D4X with the D800 sensor Nikon would surely have done that first....just doesn't make sense commercially to do it this way round.

Yeah, not too sure about the techno babble either, but I must say, I'd never really noticed an issue with skin tones :shrug:

Have you done direct comparisons with other makes?

Yeah. I've always felt Canon's skin tones were truer. I never shot Nikon in the days of the D2 but I've always felt they were better the D3. I think it's widely accepted that Canon's skin tones are better.

I guess Joe McNally felt the same to have noted that the D4 is an improvement. And for me that's great news. Hence wondering if the same was true of the D800.....

From what I've seen on the Nikon USA website, the d800 looks pretty similar to me. The spec says it has much of the same processing features...

But beyond skin tone, I've always said canon colour is better generally...certainly with green grass etc. and I've never managed to make it look the same despite trying very hard.

I don't see a D4X.....the D800 has clearly been positioned differently to the D700 so it doesn't steal sales from the D4. If they were going to launch a D4X with the D800 sensor Nikon would surely have done that first....just doesn't make sense commercially to do it this way round.

Nikon made a big mistake pricing the D3x so high - iirc it was £2k more than the D3 at launch. Had they priced it at only £300-£400 more, the D3x would have taken off just as the D3 did. If I were Nikon I'd have learnt the lesson from this - and, even though the D800 is already out, I'd still launch a 36MP D4x for little more than the price of a D4. A lot of folk will always prefer the full-size bodies over the D700/800-type even if the sensor specs are the same.

I'm one of them :crying:.

I don't think this has been posted, but I've just seen some pics from D800 on Cliff Mautner's Blog, who's been using a D800 loaned to him by Nikon. The quality left from the large crops look very good. :eek: (y)

Apparently he thought he was ready for the expected traffic but it crashed his Host's server and prompted him to move to a new Host. :LOL:

I thought the pre announcement talk of 36MP was hype, :eek: because I didn't expect such a large jump from the D700. I think the D800 makes some sense to try and take on the Canon 5DII/III. Just matching the 5DII for pixels wouldn't have been good marketing, and just matching what the 5DIII may be (should it appear) would have not have put them ahead marketing wise. Going with such a large number of pixels, it will be interesting to see if a 5DIII gets close to 36MP.

With such large file sizes, I thought it would have been a better idea to go for a XQD slot for the extra speed.

The D700 has had a great reputation, and only Nikon will know for certain whether it was always planned, or hastily thrown together (from parts) reply to the Canon 5D. Whatever it's genesis, the combination of features and performance made it a huge success. I don't think the D800 is going to tempt too many D700 owners, though I could be wrong.

I was contemplating a D700 at one point to complement my D300, until I had all my camera gear taken. It had the features and the price that appealed. The D800 doesn't appeal at all. It's too much (pixel wise), if there can ever be such a thing and it is too slow. For me anyway. No that I have money for such things anyway. :LOL:

I hope there is a 'true' replacement the D700 (though the D800 naming would seem to hint at there not being one :() As it would hopefully bring s/h D700's into my price range. ;) :LOL: That said though, I think the D700's will keep their value very well. :shake:

As for a pre-gripped (a la D2X) D300S replacement, I think that would be a stupid idea for a minority who would want it. At a time when cameras are getting smaller (not something I agree with all the time with my pudgy fat fingers) making a larger camera is not a good move imho. If you want a larger camera, buy the grip and add it. I bought a Nikon copy grip for my D300S and like the option to use it occasionally. I would never have bought a D2X, it was just too big and heavy. (for me) And I've bought a D300 and a D300S, which is a load of cash Nikon would not have got if the D300 had a built in grip. :shrug:

Hopefully a D400 is not long away from being announced, not that I'll be getting one, as I'm quite happy with what I have. It will be interesting to see what they come up with though. :D

All this talk that without really fast and good lenses ( my slowest is 2.8) I wouldn't be able to use d800 to its best performance , that it has too many megapixels etc, makes me think if it is good idea to get one....

Over the weekend I will find out if someone would be able to bring me one from states saving me around £500 ... as much as I would be able to afford d800 other option would be d3s but its out of price range...not really sure if waiting for 5d3 is good and jump ships after it comes out with good spec..and loose money in it...

Apologies if this is a numpty question, but...

I'm going to buy new 32Gb cards with the D800. As it's mixing formats, is the write speed limited by the slower card? ie. is there any point in buying, for example, a 90MB/s CF card if the SD card is only 30MB/s?

No :D

Seriously though, I've loved the skin tones off all the Nikons I've used but if they have improved things, then all the better :)

I always thought my Fuji S3 had far better s/t than the D700 that replaced it though some tweaking did help with the hue slider.

Apologies if this is a numpty question, but...

I'm going to buy new 32Gb cards with the D800. As it's mixing formats, is the write speed limited by the slower card? ie. is there any point in buying, for example, a 90MB/s CF card if the SD card is only 30MB/s?

It depends why you're using the second card slot for. If you're using the second slot as overflow from the first then it won't make any difference but if you're using it to record the same info as the first card (ie as backup) then the second card will limit your write speeds. It's worth getting the best cards you can afford in both formats.

I'm not a fan of the different card method of having two card slots. For me it's better to have them the same as in the D3s. Although I do appreciate it's a size thing.

It depends why you're using the second card slot for. If you're using the second slot as overflow from the first then it won't make any difference but if you're using it to record the same info as the first card (ie as backup) then the second card will limit your write speeds. It's worth getting the best cards you can afford in both formats.

I'm not a fan of the different card method of having two card slots. For me it's better to have them the same as in the D3s. Although I do appreciate it's a size thing.

Ah yes, I should have said... I always use the second slot for backup. So I guess there's no point in me buying CF cards faster than the SD then. Thanks :)

Im still trying to get my head around the $2999 price in the US which is around £1900, and the £2399 price here, why the almost £500 difference, apologies if this was brought up earlier, my head is spinning reading all this

Last edited:
:agree:

I've always thought the skin tones from my S5 were better than either the D300 or D700.

To be honest I always thought that skin tones were the Fuji's strong point.

The best results I get with my D700 for skin tones, are with it set to Neutral Picture Control, and using the older lenses without all the modern nano coatings, like my 35-70 f2.8.

Im still trying to get my head around the $2399 price in the US which is around £1900, and the £2399 price here, why the almost £500 difference, apologies if this was brought up earlier, my head is spinning reading all this

It's not $2399, it's $2999. The UK price also includes tax, the US one doesn't....

It's not $2399, it's $2999. The UK price also includes tax, the US one doesn't....

Sorry I meant to type $2999 not 2399, but thats still £1900 as I mentioned, hadnt realised that didnt include TAX as I know a few freinds in the US have preordered at that price, apologies if I have got that wrong, will have to check with them if they have TAX on top of that $2999

Last edited:
Tax in the US can be upwards of 12%, depending upon state. In certain places it will be more expensive in the states than here in the UK.

Remember too that Nikon have started to exert a far tighter control over their supplies and their pro suppliers... there was a telling thread on here not so long ago. I think that anyone expecting a sub £2000 street price is going to need to wait a couple of years, if ever. It's just not the same market now that Nikon released the D700 into... it's a sobering thought.

AdeM said:
Sorry I meant to type $2999 not 2399, but thats still £1900 as I mentioned, hadnt realised that didnt include TAX as I know a few freinds in the US have preordered at that price, apologies if I have got that wrong, will have to check with them if they have TAX on top of that $2999

Have you been to America? (Nearly) All prices are advertised without tax, I used to find it really annoying when you get to the till and get charged a totally price than what was on the shelf edge.

American prices always seem to be cheaper but once you add on the state sale tax it's close to our price. National adverts etc wont show the price with tax because different states have different % levels.

Have you been to America? (Nearly) All prices are advertised without tax, I used to find it really annoying when you get to the till and get charged a totally price than what was on the shelf edge.

American prices always seem to be cheaper but once you add on the state sale tax it's close to our price. National adverts etc wont show the price with tax because different states have different % levels.

And you're still liable for UK duty/VAT when it gets here.

You can buy already in this country at £2135 mine has been pre ordered and deposit payed

might be able to pick one up cheaper at airport duty free if youre planning on going away anytime soon anyway.

Where are you getting the 2135 one from?

might be able to pick one up cheaper at airport duty free if youre planning on going away anytime soon anyway.

Where are you getting the 2135 one from?

if I would be going lets say back from US to UK, and buy one at duty fre shop, would I still be charged once I get here ?

Very good question, who's discounting preorder stock by nearly £300? I assume that's UK stock, honoured with warranty and NPS eligible?

also, with Nikon's supposed recent rationalisation of their pro dealer network, are Dixons et al considered suitable for pro dealer status? Just a thought when it comes to hunting duty free..

Last edited:
Just had this reply from someone in the us who has just bought one for $2999,

"f you're preordering online, you only have to pay tax if you live in the same state as the store. So if you preorder from BH or Adorama, you only pay tax if you live in New York"

so he got his for $2999 all in which is excellent, its obviously very tempting to get one in the US (brother in law has people in his office there every few weeks who travel back here) but with the hassle and the fact that the warranty isnt valid here not in reality worth it in the end, cant afford one anyway was just quite intrigued at the price difference, now hoping that D700's will drop a wee bit in price :)

Last edited:
And you're still liable for UK duty/VAT when it gets here.
Yes of course.
if I would be going lets say back from US to UK, and buy one at duty fre shop, would I still be charged once I get here ?
Yes, as you haven't paid duty and you have to.

The way you can do it, is to go on holiday in the EU, and buy at Dixons duty free in the UK. Because you're not leaving the EU, they have to charge you duty, but they still give you the same price (they make less profit). When you return home, you have paid your duty.

or you can just go out of the EU, they dont charge you duty and you just take it out of the box on the way back and walk through the green channel :)

I was planning a long weekend in Istanbul soon, i will probably delay it till release and see if they have any in stock.

As I said, I wonder if you'd be able to find a D800 in any Duty free outlet with the new Nikon rules, but I suppose there might be some out there. Of course, there's always the argument that deboxing and (effectively illegally) importing a D700 is the wrong kind of penny pinching. If you're desperately trying to save the odd £100 on a £2400 camera then maybe the D800 isn't the camera to go for!

As I said, I wonder if you'd be able to find a D800 in any Duty free outlet with the new Nikon rules, but I suppose there might be some out there. Of course, there's always the argument that deboxing and (effectively illegally) importing a D700 is the wrong kind of penny pinching. If you're desperately trying to save the odd £100 on a £2400 camera then maybe the D800 isn't the camera to go for!

On the subject of penny pinching, no doubt there will be plenty of people that lay out £2400 on the body and then stick the cheap Sigma or Tamron glass on it.....

or you can just go out of the EU, they dont charge you duty and you just take it out of the box on the way back and walk through the green channel :)

Buy and send the box etc back to your home address for cheap then carry the camera and go home.

Back