Nikon D800......

Pedalman said:
Yes a D800 battery grip at nearly £400 for a plastic box with a couple of switches and buttons, WHAT A RIP OFF !! , you can buy a complete consumer DSLR for that price.
Id rather spend the £379 on four extra bateries and change them more often.

It won't be plastic and it won't be £379 in the shops either.......

development costs,tooling it all adds up

O'Really? Bearing in mind there's not much change from the grips going all the way back to the D200... Its a high-margin product, just like the 2.8 lenses, whereas the D800 is undoubtably a very low margin. Nothing wrong with that approach of course, they have to make money somehow (and Nikon Stock is up 18% or something in a day...).

I'll put money on LinkDelight (etc) having a perfectly good version with a pair of batteries for under £100 delivered within a few months...

Considering it doesn't add extra FPS and so half the reason for having a grip on previous cameras has gone, its a very dubious accessory at the moment...

it isnt plastic its Magnesium alloy

Yes , I have two of them for my D300 300s BUT MY SON DOESN'T KNOW the *****,he's been on my computer, I left it on logged on to the forum and went out for a while and im wondering what all these replies are doing coming in to my email when i got back...... apologies guys he has had a clip round the lug hole, he enjoys winding me up with my Nikons and others who use them . Ive been getting jip from him since the new D800 was announced he likes a good pointless dig.

As a D700 owner currently, would I buy one? If money was no problem - yes! But like most of us I guess you have to ask what benefit you would get from owning one and is it worth £1000+ to upgrade (plus potentially upgrading my Mac to cope with 75Mb NEF files!).

I would rather improve my technique I think - the D800 won't make any of us better photographers. D700 is plenty good enough for me and now destined to be even more of a classic as an "accessible" FX body, and now that the D800 isn't really an updated D700.

Doesn't stop me wanting one though :|

Last edited:
Yes , I have two of them for my D300 300s BUT MY SON DOESN'T KNOW the *****,he's been on my computer, I left it on logged on to the forum and went out for a while and im wondering what all these replies are doing coming in to my email when i got back...... apologies guys he has had a clip round the lug hole, he enjoys winding me up with my Nikons and others who use them . Ive been getting jip from him since the new D800 was announced he likes a good pointless dig.

no need to appologise whatsoever at least he is taking a interest :)

O'Really? Bearing in mind there's not much change from the grips going all the way back to the D200... Its a high-margin product, just like the 2.8 lenses, whereas the D800 is undoubtably a very low margin. Nothing wrong with that approach of course, they have to make money somehow (and Nikon Stock is up 18% or something in a day...).

I'll put money on LinkDelight (etc) having a perfectly good version with a pair of batteries for under £100 delivered within a few months...

Considering it doesn't add extra FPS and so half the reason for having a grip on previous cameras has gone, its a very dubious accessory at the moment...

i am the marketing manager for Nikon :thinking:

no not at all :LOL: i aint defending the prices,just saying development and tooling costs.
the mini and blue monday for example wherent priced up correct and sold for less than they cost to produce.

for the record i dont use grips i wish we had a D3s without the big battery part...:cool:

They look pretty poor to me, at 100%. They aren't the best photos in the world but it raises a few concerns about the high ISO capability. We need to see more samples really.

If they looked as good as a d700 at 100% given 3 times the pixel count, then the D800 would be hands down the best low light camera ever produced.

For low light you aren't getting anywhere near the nominal resolution anyway, whether 12 or 36 MP. What matters is noise at the image level, and at the same magnification (same image or print size), the 6400 one definitely looks better than a D700 at ISO 6400 with High ISO NR set to normal.

no need to appologise whatsoever at least he is taking a interest :)

Thanks for that , makes me feel better. He winds me up because I got into Nikon ( from Canon) when the D3 came out then I joined the Nikon NPS sceme a couple of months ago. (Day job wedding photographer )
I dont mind him ribbing just me but on here isn't on, especially using my user name he should get his own for that .

ok so what would people recommend as an upgrade path into FF now from a D300?

D700
D800
second hand D3 or D3s

In the next 3 months or so with overtime and a bonus on the way i could scrape together about 3.5 or 4k. A couple of my lenses i think will be ok on a FF body. Id be doing more studio work this year and loads of landscape stuff.

D700
D800
second hand D3 or D3s

In the next 3 months or so with overtime and a bonus on the way i could scrape together about 3.5 or 4k. A couple of my lenses i think will be ok on a FF body. Id be doing more studio work this year and loads of landscape stuff.

I would go for second hand D700, 24-70 & 70-200.

Glass holds its value a lot more and an expensive body without equivalent glass is useless

D700
D800
second hand D3 or D3s

I would wait and see some proper D800 reviews before deciding.

a D800S? Yes, clearly needed - unless there are plans for a fast shutter D400 for Sports/Birders.

And can we please stop the "F8 Diffraction Limit" stuff, its been shot down all over the internet already -the pixel density of the D800 is almost exactly the same as the D7000...

No, because it exists. Diffraction is an unavoidable fact of optical physics, independent of the sensor. It's just that as potential resolution increases, so its effects become visible at lower f/numbers.

It is also affected by format. Broadly speaking, with the very best lenses, diffraction starts to cap sharpness at around f/5.6 on a cropper, and f/8-ish on full frame. Examples of both here on DP Review's sharpness widget http://www.dpreview.com/lensreviews/canon_100_2p8_is_usm_c16/page3.asp

If you were referring to diffraction effects related to pixel density and airy disc clash, I don't have much time for that particular theory.

D800's battery grip does add fps - you can only get 6fps in DX format with one.

So does this 36mp stuff mean its better than film now ?

:D

Seriously though, on paper it looks the bomb. Looking at ISO6400 examples it looks just as good as the D700 Ive been using since 2008.

With my camera now a bit long in the tooth, having had its hot shoe and rubbers already replaced and with a few hot pixels appearing all over the place I think its time to upgrade. With the dosh I'll get back from the D700 going towards the new one I think its a great upgrade.

Ive been holding out for video since the 5DMK2 came out and finally I can do the best of both worlds with one unit.

Seriously though, on paper it looks the bomb. Looking at ISO6400 examples it looks just as good as the D700 Ive been using since 2008.

They certainly look promising, and once the early adopter value comes off it should be around the £2000 mark which would represent decent value for what you get.

One of the things that I was particularly interested in when the D4 was announced was Joe McNally saying that he thought skin tones had been improved. Now this is one thing that I've never felt Nikon got quite right and (as a people shooter) is something that really excites me.

So, does anyone know if anything similar has been said about the D800?

D700
D800
second hand D3 or D3s

A hard one,but as you say your going to be doing loads of studio work & Landscape stuff,the sort of stuff the D800 aimed at :)

1. Technically I do own one, it just hasn't reached me yet, although I'm hoping that by the end of next week this will be rectified.

I've just been told by Calumet that my D4 won't be arriving until March 15th. Feller said the delay was due to 'unprecedented global demand' but, as a NPS prioritized one, mine would still be amongst the first... anyone still expecting theirs next week?

I've just been told by Calumet that my D4 won't be arriving until March 15th. Feller said the delay was due to 'unprecedented global demand' but, as a NPS prioritized one, mine would still be amongst the first... anyone still expecting theirs next week?

Nikon Rumo(u)rs
have said its down to a firmware bug and all shipments worldwide have been held. Meh.

D800's battery grip does add fps - you can only get 6fps in DX format with one.

6fps...in DX... Woopie, that's going to be useful to...um...nope...

I'm not going to get into the Diffraction arguments its a dead-end that goes nowhere, I'm sure people have been claiming we will be diffraction-limited since went from 1mpix to 2mpix...

Why is everyone so obsessed with fps on here? Unless you're a serious fast action sports photographer, or red carpet pit snapper, (and how many on here actually are), 4fps is more than enough surely?

gramps said:
Oh dear, oh dear, oh dear!

Hmm. I got a d7000 as my new second body last year. Sent back 3 as they all had the 'hot pixel' issue in video mode. That was a totally balked launch til they released a firmware update that fixed it. Hope history isn't repeating....

Why is everyone so obsessed with fps on here? Unless you're a serious fast action sports photographer, or red carpet pit snapper, (and how many on here actually are), 4fps is more than enough surely?

I was out today doing fly fishing casting sequences and the DX crop mode on my D2x (8fps) wasn't enough to do a full sequence, especially on the faster flicks as the line increases speed. Have had the same with tournament casting. 4fp just wouldn't cut it.....

I was out today doing fly fishing casting sequences and the DX crop mode on my D2x (8fps) wasn't enough to do a full sequence, especially on the faster flicks as the line increases speed. Have had the same with tournament casting. 4fp just wouldn't cut it.....

You could switch it to video Pat, and just pick out the stills that you want ... or have I not quite grasped the technology correctly :D

One of my standard portrait sets is to get kids to hold hands and run through the woods towards the camera whilst I pull in the 70-200 to keep them a decent size in the frame... machine gunning and focus tracking all the way. More frames per second = more usable hits = better sales (y)

So those photos I linked earlier?

Stuck them into exif reader, High ISO NR was set to off.

That makes it unquestionably better than the D700 for noise.

As for being diffraction limited: it's not an especially relevant metric IMO. There are several lenses that are "diffraction limited" wide open or near wide open because they are so well corrected. That doesn't change that if you need depth of field, you're better off stopping down until you have enough.

Flashman said:
One of my standard portrait sets is to get kids to hold hands and run through the woods towards the camera whilst I pull in the 70-200 to keep them a decent size in the frame... machine gunning and focus tracking all the way. More frames per second = more usable hits = better sales (y)

Ok, fly fishing and machine gunning kids in the woods (if only!) aside, what else :)

Martyn... said:
You could switch it to video Pat, and just pick out the stills that you want ... or have I not quite grasped the technology correctly :D

The way Final Cut X behaves, it'd melt my Mac trying to take the stills out of video :LOL:

Martyn... said:

Video frames would only be 1920x1080 (at best).... Quite apart from anything else...

Back