Nikon D800......

Last edited:
Me too Barry it certainly sucks all the detail up whatever you point it at IMO I have a meter wide print at home on the wall from it, and the detail :cool:

Last edited:
Peter, please dont tell us all you have held off hitting the trigger, having just come across this thread this evening MYSELF trust me the very best in the Nikon D800 series are here, its a fantastic instrument to assit the eye ;)

Reactions: ST4
If you have £1500 why wait untill tomorrow next week the snow is falling now! great time to be out with new camera if you like being outdoors or course, I'm lost here now in this thread....exit

I'm presently looking at a Nikkor 85mm lens to match a D810 soon, not sure if the f1.4G is worth extra money compared to the f1.8G.

Any advice/experience/thoughts greatly appreciated.

Thanks;
Pete

Had 3 85mm - samyang/sigma f1.4 and nikon 85 f1.8g. Pound for pound the 1.8g is awesome. The sigma is really good. Samyang is only let down by the fact it's manual focus.

Had 3 85mm - samyang/sigma f1.4 and nikon 85 f1.8g. Pound for pound the 1.8g is awesome. The sigma is really good. Samyang is only let down by the fact it's manual focus.
Thanks for that Shaheed, I was on the verg of sending you a pm regards your views as I thought you'd had experience in the 85mm field. Thank you.

Appreciated.

Whilst I'm on a lens quest here (sorry guys n' gals);

There seems to be three or four Nikkor wide-angle zooms available on the market, I've been looking at the 14-24mm f2.8 (which is costly) and can't accept filters. For landscape photography (attached to a D810), would the 14-24mm f2.8 fit the bill or any cheaper options work as well....?

Thanks;
pete

Peter you would be hard pressed to beat the IQ of the 14-24 but the filter kit for it is limited and expensive ... many find the 16-35 to work well and of course filters are easy.

Whilst I'm on a lens quest here (sorry guys n' gals);

There seems to be three or four Nikkor wide-angle zooms available on the market, I've been looking at the 14-24mm f2.8 (which is costly) and can't accept filters. For landscape photography (attached to a D810), would the 14-24mm f2.8 fit the bill or any cheaper options work as well....?

Thanks;
pete

The bulbous Nikkor 14-24mm f2.8 is a fantastic lens that I have used. There is a superb filter system specially design for this lens, check on Progrey filter system. I made a mini review about their product here in the forum ;)

Beautiful image Graham, very emotive.

My first impressions with the 800e files are just 'wow'. It's like a detail overload, I've never seen files like it, I've been grinning all day.

As I picked the camera up from London, I stayed up there a few hours after and got some images of the usual suspects.

There's a mixture of handheld, tripod, jpeg, raw, and I even pushed the iso up in a few aswell.

1. A subject for detail

ImageUploadedByTalk Photography Forums1453148434.451734.jpg

ImageUploadedByTalk Photography Forums1453148498.029489.jpg

3. The eye was closed for maintenance which helped nicely with the long exposures

ImageUploadedByTalk Photography Forums1453148596.447235.jpg

4. With a plane in the distance

ImageUploadedByTalk Photography Forums1453148664.260208.jpg

5. And lastly I saw this couple doing a shoot in front of the spangly lights

ImageUploadedByTalk Photography Forums1453148834.511548.jpg

Yep, there is a massive leap in the files from the D750, I really didn't think it'd be that much of a difference tbh, I was quite shocked. For instance in number 4 above, I can zoom into the right hand side of the river and read very clearly the writing on the side of a coach that's parked there - that's bonkers!

Beautiful image Graham, very emotive.

My first impressions with the 800e files are just 'wow'. It's like a detail overload, I've never seen files like it, I've been grinning all day.

As I picked the camera up from London, I stayed up there a few hours after and got some images of the usual suspects.

There's a mixture of handheld, tripod, jpeg, raw, and I even pushed the iso up in a few aswell.

1. A subject for detail

View attachment 54749

View attachment 54753

3. The eye was closed for maintenance which helped nicely with the long exposures

View attachment 54754

4. With a plane in the distance

View attachment 54755

5. And lastly I saw this couple doing a shoot in front of the spangly lights

View attachment 54756

A really nice & varied set of images Gregg, with some amazing detail, dynamic range, and colours.(y)

George.

Back