Nikon D800......

A few from last night, I only took the 20mm g lens for ease, and I'm so impressed with the crop-ability of these files

This is the original image

20160121-20160121-DSC_2202.jpg by -Gregg Gorman-

And with a 100% crop

20160121-20160121-DSC_2202.jpg by -Gregg Gorman-

And another one of the usual suspect!

20160121-20160121-DSC_2198.jpg by -Gregg Gorman-

These shots are right on the money Gregg, the detail is amazing showing huge dynamic range. Plenty of tone in shadows & highlights and good comp'.(y)

George.

Holy moly Gregg;

An amazing set of quality night shoots, stunning work! Love them both but the bottom image is exquisite, you could easily see those all day long. Would look awesome professionally printed and hung on wall space.

That Nikkor 20mm G is a corker of a lens it seems, I must have a closer look at it. On the bottom image where was your focus point?

Regards;
pete

Thanks Pete, the focus on the last image was on the right handrail, about a third/half up from the bottom of the frame. I'm in love with this camera [emoji38]

Looking forward to shooting with the D810 soon, work/life balance and crapppy wet weather and working long nightshifts don't help the situation.

:(
Tell me about it. Had the most terrible two night shifts that finished this morning. But had a snooze (actually passed out for 5 hours), some dinner and will now take today's pic for my 366.

Going to a party tomorrow for a friends 40th (daytime with kids going too). Debating the d800 vs d750. Not taking both!! Will take 85f1.4, sb900, 35 f1.4 and probably a reflector. The d750 will be great for size/af/low light but I do just love the d800 files!!

Hi Pete, I bought the cheap Neweer (sp ?) wired release from Amazon, works a treat and really small

First grab-shot with the D810 driving home after a nightshift, a drab/dull/dreary morning, not the best photographic conditions but good practice.

Untitled by Peter McCullough Photography, on Flickr

16-35mm - iso 400 - @ f5.6 - 20mm end

Last edited:
Congrats on your new camera Peter! :)

This thread is much active compared to the D810. Can we share also our D810 pictures here? :)

Yes well done Peter, can't wait to see you use it in anger!

I thought this was the main 8xx thread?

Congrats on your new camera Peter! :)

This thread is much active compared to the D810. Can we share also our D810 pictures here? :)
Good question, may need clarified? Is there a separate D810 dedicated thread?

Another cracking capture Gregg, excellent!

Last edited:
Any other D810 owners had any issues with the camera locking up? Had it out last weekend and was getting some shots of my son on a zip wire so was shooting in Continuous High mode. 3 or 4 shots into the burst the camera would freeze completely with 'Err' flashing in the LCD. Turning it off and back on again made no difference and the only way to clear it was to wait a few seconds then take another shot. All of the shots in the burst prior to it freezing were lost. The only thing I could put it down to would be the cold - it was around freezing point out there but I'd have expected a camera at this price point to be able to handle such temperatures. Have shot a few bursts at room temperature this morning and it's fine again.

It was a Lexar card. Been using it for months without an issue and used it again today without any problems.

Agree with Pete and David, does sound like the card wasn't being read

what was the mb/s speed on the memory card? far more important than the GB size as it can affect transfers from card to camera. A slow one will stall in continuous shooting mode when shooting at 36 MP per frame.

Was it writing to SD or CF? I know I've had a few gremlins with my 810 and some CF cards bigger than 8GB. Not had any issues with my lexar cards though. (400x 60mb/s SD and 800x 120mb/s CF)

Have you got the latest firmware?

Out for a brief walk with our collie dog this afternoon, this local building has just been turned into a Hotel & Spa. Weather still not great here in the Central belt of Scotland;

Inglewood House by Peter McCullough Photography, on Flickr

D810 -- 16-35mm

Great! When I got the 750 after not having a DSLR for a while, it was so nice to handle again for my big clumsy hands, and the 800'is even better [emoji38]

I keep forgetting to YouTube tilt shift lenses, I know nothing about them but I feel I need one aswell!

Back